Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

In the Spirit of the Season

As you probably guess, this TR is for a trip that took place during the holiday season. I had a hard time coming up with a title. I wanted it to cover everything that happened and not just be "Christmas time in WDW"

After some thought and consideration it hit me what the common element was to the trip. It was the spirit of the holiday season.

In the spirit of the season, I was blessed by the kindness and generosity of others.

In the spirit of the season, I chose to remain happy and not have a single meltdown (even though, I may have come close a time or two )

In the spirit of the season, my family had the opportunity to reflect and enjoy the true meaning behind why we celebrate.

In the spirit of the season, I indulged in food and drink.

In the spirit of the season, I forgave my family for any not so "in the spirit" behavior.

So in a nutshell, this trip did include all those precious elements of the holiday season; joy, forgiveness, generosity, celebration. As a family we may have taken it in in different ways however it was there for all of us. (despite a minor hiccup or two )

Hopefully, I will not bore you to death and you will enjoy each detail I share.

If you did not read along on the PTR for this trip, it can be found Here

So let us first start with the when and where.

When: Departing home on 12/9 and arriving back home on 12/23
Where: Pop Century for the nights of 12/9 and 12/10 and then Wilderness Lodge for the nights of 12/11 through 12/21

Next up: Introductions
Old 12-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Introductions

In case you have never come across me here before and or this is the first time you are reading along, let me give you some introductions to help you to know who we are.

First, there is me (Ann) Sadly, I just turned 42. (but not on the trip , so I was still 41 then ) I am the mother to 4 children. I was blessed with 2 boys and 2 girls. I have been married to my high school sweetheart since 1989 and we began dating in 1987. He continues to be the love of my life (even if he tries my patience at times ) I work for News America as a field rep part time and with it, I pay for my addition. What is that addiction? Well, Disney of course! I can't seem to stay away from Disney. I have always been fond of Disney, but once I took my first trip to DL in 2002, that was it! I was hooked. You can see in my signature how many times I have been and where I have stayed. I think someday i would love to see that list much longer. Soon though, for the sanity of my entire family I will have to start branching out beyond Disney and enjoy other destinations (I know, sounds a bit blasphemous, eh?) A favorite character of mine has always been Tinkerbell. I think because she reminds me of me... means well, is good at heart, a little testy at times and sometimes...sometimes down right naughty. Recently though, Mickey and Minnie have warmed my heart and I can't seem to not smile when I see them. As for a ride, well that would depend on my mood. However, BTMRR is always a hit as is POTC.

Then there is my dear husband, Steve. He too is 42 years young. He is a software engineer. He currently is working for a social networking site. He has some health issues and so sometimes he is not up to a lot of "go go going". However, he still enjoys Disney and attempts to join me every now and again. For him a favorite character would be Eeyore. The first emo.. Eeyore tends to also speak to Steve's forever somewhat pessimistic yet humorous state. Steve loves POTC and IASM. He feels it isn't a Disney trip until he has rode them.

Next is my youngest son, Alex. He is now 16. Last trip he spent barely more than the time it took to eat a meal with us. This trip, was it different? Well, you will just have to read on. Alex isn't really fond of Disney in the same way that maybe a girl of his age is. He likes the more extreme rides and characters...well, forget it. He use to absolutely hate them. Now, I would say he has learned to tolerate them.

Then there is my dear youngest child and daughter, Zoe. She will be 7 soon. She is a joy in my life. She struggles with health issues surrounding a birth defect she was born with. You would never know though as she is very bright and tends to not complain. She loves any and all princesses and also the extreme rides.

Last edited by annmarieda; 12-29-2011 at 06:20 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Background information for the trip

A few tid bits that also might help to know...

First, as you see in the introductions our older two did not come with us this trip. It did of course, make me very sad. I wanted all of them with me. However, when we first planned the trip neither were suppose to be "home" for Christmas.

So backing up further (just in case you didn't follow along all year) The year was a doozy. We knew it would be and shortly after Christmas of 2010 I booked our trip.

There was the fact that our oldest ds (Zach soon to be 19) is in the military and spend part of the year away. Originally, it was unclear as to if he would be home for Christmas. However, he chose to not go further in his training at this time and come home. He came home at the end of September.

Then our oldest daughter (Akira age 21) got married to Josh (also age 21 and only older than Kira by minutes..and yes, when they go out for their birthday they are mistaken for twins now since they share the same last name)

Kira was going to be moving across state last fall in order to attend school. This meant she would be gone over Christmas. However, Josh has had good luck getting his career started and so they have stayed here.

Our precious, Zoe also had surgery at the end of June to help further correct issues associated with her birth defect. It has been a challenging year from there on out. What was meant to be a positive change has brought a lot of stress and quite honestly pain. Within 12 hours of being released from the hospital in July, she had to return due to infection. Once home it was hard to become accustom to her new routines and weeks were spend wondering if the neighbors would call CPS on us. Then school started and there was nothing but trouble in getting the nurse at the school to assist Zoe. October brought a procedure to help (hopefully) stretch a new channel that was created for her since it constantly was trying to "heal" closed. Finally, just days before our trip, Zoe developed an abscess near the channel and we came terrifyingly close to having to cancel our trip. The doctors were able to fix her up and NOT take her into emergency surgery, but she was left with medical tubing that remained in place for the duration of the trip. (and currently remains in. Also approximately 24 hours after being home required an ER visit and the threat of another hospitalization) Currently, Zoe is scheduled for another surgery and hospital stay in just a few weeks.

And last, there were challenges with Steve's work situation as well as mine.

So as you see, there was a need for this trip.

Last edited by annmarieda; 12-29-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Chapter links

(12/9-Day 1) Up and At Em
(12/9-Day 1) Up and Away, a long travel day to the World
(12/9-Day 1) Meets and Arrivals
(12/10-Day 2) To Sleep or to Play? Our first day in DTD
(12/10-Day 2) Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian
(12/10-Day 2) Our last night at Pop Century
(12/11-Day 3)Checking out of Pop and heading to DTD
(12/11-Day 3) Announcing Her Royal Cuteness
(12/11-Day 3) A Very Rainy MVMP
(12/12-Day 4) A Royal Breakfast
(12/12-Day 4) Throwing Out the Ridemax Plans and Meandering through MK
(12/12-Day 4) Fire and Roasted Meat
(12/13 - Day 5) A Playmate for Zoe
(12/13 - Day 5) Serious Resort Touring in Wacky Weather
(12/13 - Day 5) Food, Food and more Characters
(12/14 - Day 6) Poor Alex
(12/14 - Day 6) Two Girls Alone in DHS, What Could be Better
(12/14 - Day 6) I scrubbed the floors, now may I go to play?
(12/15 - Day 7) Waiting on Buses Interferes with My Plans Yet Again.
(12/15 - Day 7) How to enjoy and Yak Attack in AK
(12/15 - Day 7) Joy and Excitement and a Belly Ache
(12/16 - Day 8) Relaxing and Joking Around Makes for Wonderful Family Time
(12/16 - Day 8) Glory and Hallelujah
(12/17 - Day 9) And Another Beautiful Morning
(12/17 - Day 9) Traveling Back to before the Age of Technology Wasnt on MY Itinerarary
(12/17 - Day 9 )Seriously, How Did We Survive?
(12/18 - Day 10 )A trip to the TTC, would I be lucky??
(12/18 - Day 10 )Little by Little, the day wore on- Part One
(12/18 - Day 10 )Little by Little, the day wore on- Part Two
(12/18 - Day 10 ) Fantastic Fantasmic Evening
(12/18 - Day 10 ) Late Night Dinner at the Movies
(12/19 - Day 11 ) The Plan; To Be Up at 6am?
(12/19 - Day 11 ) F is for Fantasyland and Fun!
(12/19 - Day 11 ) Time to Recharge
(12/19 - Day 11 )Dismeet, Dinner and a 3am EMH
(12/20 - Day 12) Our Last Day in AK
(12/21 - Day 13)A Very EARLY Last Day at Epcot
(12/21 -Day 13) How Much Can Be Done When Crowds Are High?
(12/21 -Day 13) How late is late?
(12/22 - Day 14) Saying Good Bye
(12/22 - Day 14)What Do You Mean My 6 Year Old's Seat Is NO Longer Next to Mine
(12/22 - Day 14) Calling Mr. Davidson... Mr. Steve Davidson
(HOME) 12/23 and Finally Home...Mostly

Last edited by annmarieda; 05-25-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Am I first? LOL. I'm here. Great start.

You are!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Joining in for the fun! Great intros so far.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
I'll have one of what ever the tag fairy is drinking tonight
Chocolate is a girls heaven

I'm here to read along. I hope your family had a wonderful trip.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran

Location: Lousiana- 14 hours away from my happiest place on earth!!!

I'm here Ann! Yay!!

Love the name and all the reasonings behind it!

When is Zoe's newest stuff scheduled?
Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
tankgirl427
DIS Veteran

I'm here I'm here! I promise I'll finish October's TR so I can start December's! We already have a title for it, but I"m not telling!

"You held me down, but I got up, Get ready cause I’ve had enough."

PHM 2015-In Pursuit of Cupcakes While Running in Glass Slippers

Pre 2006 doesn't count, 2006: Dolphin, 2006: 16 hours of MK & EP, 2009: DL, 2010: PC with DDP, 2011: Off-site with friends & PC, 2012: AKL & BLT, POFQ, 2013: POP, POP, DL, POP
Old 12-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
ladytink75
Mouseketeer

Ann I'm here.. Can't wait to hear all about your trip..

HERE YOU LEAVE TODAY AND ENTER THE WORLD OF YESTERDAY, TOMORROW AND FANTASY

2008 Paradise Pier
2009 All Star Sports & Coronado Springs
Old 12-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
swwake
RIP our sweet Magic (09/27/10)

Yay! You started! I am subscribing.

Visit my travel blog: Oh, the Places We'll Go!
December 2011 PTR September 2010 Trip Report Oasis of the Seas Cruise TR Las Vegas TR
1974, 1983, 1987, 1989 off property * 1988 DL * 1989 Premiere Cruise & Disney * 1997 ASMu * 1998 CBR * 2000 DL * 2008 BC * 2010 AKL CL * 2011 Poly CL * 2013 CBR
Old 12-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
leshunlenese
DIS Veteran

Hey Ann! I am joining along!
1989 first visit off site + several family trips as a child | 1997 AS Sp | 2000 8th grade band trip/offsite |2004 ASM| 2007*Walt Disney College Program- Chatham Square*| 2008 AARC congress at WDW | 2009 ASMo|OCT 2010 POP..1st MNSSHP/DS 1st visit and birthday | Dec 10 POLY |May/June 11 POP |AUG 11 marriott village |Dec 2011 graduation celebration @AKV-Jambo | FEB 13 dolphin | May 13 POP |Sept 13 Yacht club | Nov 13 POFQ | May 14 Disney dream | Sept 14 Assp | June 15 Wonder cruise to Alaska
ME(27)and DS(4)
Sept 13 Disney Video
Sept 13 TR
Sept 2014 PTR

I loved the poly but Jambo house stole my heart! Dec 11 college graduation TR
My 1st TR: Who says you can't take a 1 year old to WDW. Put that boy in a stroller!Oct 2010
Old 12-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Joining in for the fun! Great intros so far.
Thanks! and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
I'm here to read along. I hope your family had a wonderful trip.
So excited to make new friends!!! Thank you for joining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpixiebabe101 View Post
I'm here Ann! Yay!!

Love the name and all the reasonings behind it!

When is Zoe's newest stuff scheduled?
Yay! Zoe will have her next surgery 1/13. It is coming up quick. She wants to plan her bday party and I am just not sure how to break it to her. She could very well be in the hospital come her birthday

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl427 View Post
I'm here I'm here! I promise I'll finish October's TR so I can start December's! We already have a title for it, but I"m not telling!
I can't wait for the title. I just wonder what the title could be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytink75 View Post
Ann I'm here.. Can't wait to hear all about your trip..
Your trip will be here soon. I was just looking at where you are staying. You will be doing a bit of bouncing around, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swwake View Post
Yay! You started! I am subscribing.
Good! I am glad you are here!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #15
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunlenese View Post
Hey Ann! I am joining along!
another familiar face!

Display Modes Rate This Thread