Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #466
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!
 
BriarRosie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,165

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsJason View Post
Hopefully someone can explain this to me.

How does using a gift card work for paying a tip when on a Dining Plan? Do I give them my room key and the gift card and they bring said receipts for me to sign? Or do I need to tell the server how much I want to tip?

(My mom let it slip that she bought myself & my wife two $100 Disney Gift cards for Christmas, figured we'd use them for tips).
I would suggest something a little different. If you have charging privileges set up on your Key to the World/room key, you can charge back all your tips to the room. You can go to the resort front desk and apply specific dollar amounts to your room charges before you check out.

Each resort level has a limit before they charge your credit card. If you think you're getting close to $500 and you're at a Value resort, you should settle up on the gift card so it would automatically hit your credit card. Moderate and Deluxe resorts have different limits. The front desk cast member can give you more info when you check in. You can let them know you want to settle up with gift cards first. If they send it to your charge card, they should be able to reverse it and apply it to the gift cards.

I suggested that because it's easier to get the front desk to fix any disputes in the charges, and I think it's almost impossible to do that if servers deducted the money from your gift card at the restaurant.
__________________
BriarRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #467
ThisIsJason
DIS Veteran
 
ThisIsJason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 525

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRosie View Post
I would suggest something a little different. If you have charging privileges set up on your Key to the World/room key, you can charge back all your tips to the room. You can go to the resort front desk and apply specific dollar amounts to your room charges before you check out.

Each resort level has a limit before they charge your credit card. If you think you're getting close to $500 and you're at a Value resort, you should settle up on the gift card so it would automatically hit your credit card. Moderate and Deluxe resorts have different limits. The front desk cast member can give you more info when you check in. You can let them know you want to settle up with gift cards first. If they send it to your charge card, they should be able to reverse it and apply it to the gift cards.

I suggested that because it's easier to get the front desk to fix any disputes in the charges, and I think it's almost impossible to do that if servers deducted the money from your gift card at the restaurant.
Wow. It never even crossed my mind of doing what you suggested! That would be the easiest way to do it. Thanks!!!
__________________
Trips With My Parents: 6/1990 Contemporary | 6/1993 Contemporary | 5/1996 Wilderness Lodge | 6/1999 Caribbean Beach | 5/2001 Contemporary | 5/2004 Contemporary
Trips With My Grandparents (day): 12/1998 | 4/2000
Trips With My Wife: 5/2010 Coronado Springs | 5/2012 Coronado Springs | 7/2013 Hilton Head Island (1st DVC Trip!)
AKV DVC Owner
ThisIsJason is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #468
red712371
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 240

Just a question. I know how much to tip, but I have a question. I always tip the bellman when I give him my luggage when arriving at the hotel and the luggage is put into storage because my room isn't ready and then another tip when the luggage is delivered to my room. Am I doing the right thing? I think so, but I never know for sure.

thanks
red712371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:27 AM   #469
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,770

Quote:
Originally Posted by red712371 View Post
Just a question. I know how much to tip, but I have a question. I always tip the bellman when I give him my luggage when arriving at the hotel and the luggage is put into storage because my room isn't ready and then another tip when the luggage is delivered to my room. Am I doing the right thing? I think so, but I never know for sure.

thanks
you are doing right. but, ya know, it usually doesn't matter anymore if your room is ready or not. even when our room has been ready, there seems to be 2 "stages" to the luggage unloading "process". there are the guys when you drive in, who pull it out of your car. then they bring it into the lobby (at the deluxes).. then another guy pulls that cart up to your room and takes it off the cart. so you have to double tip. keep that in mind when tipping.

It was SO funny, though, actually a year ago. we were at Pop century (freezing our butts off.. but THIS year it is 80 degrees in WDW.. sure. go figure)...we spent about an hour at the hippy dippy pool , then our room was ready.about a half hour later, I saw a Cm with a luggage cart delivering luggage that had arrived via Magical express... I saw our suitcasees on it!!! oh boy!!! (now, we had a bottle of whiskey in hubby's case, and a bottle of vodka in mine.. totally legal!) .. I ran across to him and siad "hi there! those are my bags! can I have them?""

him: "no, they are on the bottom, you have to wait about an hour, until I deliver these.. I have to dleiver them in the proper order"..

now, there were about 5 suitcases on top of ours. It would be no big deal to take them off, get mine, put the otheres back on. I said "oh, I don't expect you to carry them to my room, or change your route or anything. I will help you move the others, and carry mine myself."

him "no, I can't give them to you,, I have to go in order"

me"but they are mine. I can see them I can touch them I want them. I am standing 2 inches from them and they are mine. give them to me."

him.. "no"

so about 45 minutes later, he brought them to our room.. no I did not tip Barney Fife...
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #470
Alesia
DIS Veteran
 
Alesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Orange Barrel Capitol of the World
Posts: 9,816

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
It was SO funny, though, actually a year ago. we were at Pop century (freezing our butts off.. but THIS year it is 80 degrees in WDW.. sure. go figure)...we spent about an hour at the hippy dippy pool , then our room was ready.about a half hour later, I saw a Cm with a luggage cart delivering luggage that had arrived via Magical express... I saw our suitcasees on it!!! oh boy!!! (now, we had a bottle of whiskey in hubby's case, and a bottle of vodka in mine.. totally legal!) .. I ran across to him and siad "hi there! those are my bags! can I have them?""

him: "no, they are on the bottom, you have to wait about an hour, until I deliver these.. I have to dleiver them in the proper order"..

now, there were about 5 suitcases on top of ours. It would be no big deal to take them off, get mine, put the otheres back on. I said "oh, I don't expect you to carry them to my room, or change your route or anything. I will help you move the others, and carry mine myself."

him "no, I can't give them to you,, I have to go in order"

me"but they are mine. I can see them I can touch them I want them. I am standing 2 inches from them and they are mine. give them to me."

him.. "no"

so about 45 minutes later, he brought them to our room.. no I did not tip Barney Fife...
Well, Disney pays the tip for luggage delivered through magical express, so you wouldn't have needed to tip him anyway.

I think you should be glad that he didn't give you the bags, because even though you knew that they were your bags, he didn't. for all he knew you were looking for bags to steal. Also taking other bags off the cart, getting yours, and then putting the other bags back on would have taken a pretty good chunk of time and gotten him in some serious trouble. If you wanted quicker access to the booze (which I'm not necessarily opposed to,) you should have schlepped your bags from the airport yourself.
__________________

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #471
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia
I think you should be glad that he didn't give you the bags, because even though you knew that they were your bags, he didn't. for all he knew you were looking for bags to steal.
Great point!
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #472
red712371
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 240

I was just worried that by tipping them every time they touched my luggage, I was commitment an error in ettiquette and I didn't want to do that. Now I know that I am not the only one who does that and I feel better. Thanks!
red712371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #473
DashforCash
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 33

I have a gratuity question that I can't figure out.
There are 2 adults and 4 children in our family. One of the children will be 2 when we travel and isn't officially counted on the dining plan and does not have park tickets. Do I need to include him on reservations (I am making them this week)? Will we be charged the automatic gratuity as a party of 6 even though the 2 year old doesn't count anywhere at Disney? Thanks!
DashforCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #474
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony
 
Tricia1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI
Posts: 9,709
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashforCash View Post
I have a gratuity question that I can't figure out.
There are 2 adults and 4 children in our family. One of the children will be 2 when we travel and isn't officially counted on the dining plan and does not have park tickets. Do I need to include him on reservations (I am making them this week)? Will we be charged the automatic gratuity as a party of 6 even though the 2 year old doesn't count anywhere at Disney? Thanks!
You will need to count the 2 year old on your reservations. You will also be subject to the auto gratuity because you will be a party of 6.

(You would be subject to the auto gratuity, even if he wasn't listed on the reservation, but was part of the party when you get there)
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #475
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia View Post
Well, Disney pays the tip for luggage delivered through magical express, so you wouldn't have needed to tip him anyway.

I think you should be glad that he didn't give you the bags, because even though you knew that they were your bags, he didn't. for all he knew you were looking for bags to steal. Also taking other bags off the cart, getting yours, and then putting the other bags back on would have taken a pretty good chunk of time and gotten him in some serious trouble. If you wanted quicker access to the booze (which I'm not necessarily opposed to,) you should have schlepped your bags from the airport yourself.
ok, I left out (for brevity's sake) that our room was on the 1st floor about 20 steps from where he was. I ran out from the room to him. and of course, I ducked in to grab the paper work showing our name, etc.
you could see our room door fro where we were standing, I could have ran back and forth 5 times showing him me opening the door with my key card. he could have walked over to my door(with me) with the luggage cart in 4 minutes. he was just being a "barney fife". he had an "order" to go in and "by golly" he was going to go in THAT specific order, no matter what. no matter that I was there showing him that I was me and I was in that room, etc etc. if you had been there, you too would have agreed how silly it was.
and it wasn't just the "booze I was anxious to get. I wanted to unpack, settle in, etc. just mentioned the booze as a semi-joke (not that I didn't want it, too!) and I know it can take hours to get your luggage... the point was ... there it was!! right there! right by my room! and there I was, with all the proof! and he wouldn't go out of order.
and I see no reason to "schlepp" my luggage when Magical Express is a part of my package.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #476
DashforCash
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia1972 View Post
You will need to count the 2 year old on your reservations. You will also be subject to the auto gratuity because you will be a party of 6.

(You would be subject to the auto gratuity, even if he wasn't listed on the reservation, but was part of the party when you get there)
Thank you.
DashforCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #477
Crazy Mother of Two
Clever yet underrated
 
Crazy Mother of Two's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: N.E. Pennsylvania
Posts: 420

CSR Pepper Market tipping question....

We will be staying at CSR. I was just looking at their menus and the Pepper Market is listed as a QS. Since you typically don't tip at QS what is the rule of thumb for the Pepper Market (and any difference between B,L,or D?)
__________________
1977 - 1984 6 trips on-site hotel
2007 Sept. Coronado Springs Resort - 1st Family Trip
2013 Sept. Coronado Springs Resort - 2nd Family Trip
Me DH DD 14 DS 13
Crazy Mother of Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #478
SpinTheWorld
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73

I was a server at a signature restaurant on property, so I thought I could weigh in on tipping at Disney.

In reference to Pepper Market, they accept tips, but look close. At their last 'revamp' a 10% grat was adding to your bill. So you may have already tipped them.
SpinTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #479
Crazy Mother of Two
Clever yet underrated
 
Crazy Mother of Two's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: N.E. Pennsylvania
Posts: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheWorld View Post
I was a server at a signature restaurant on property, so I thought I could weigh in on tipping at Disney.

In reference to Pepper Market, they accept tips, but look close. At their last 'revamp' a 10% grat was adding to your bill. So you may have already tipped them.
Thank you for your help!
__________________
1977 - 1984 6 trips on-site hotel
2007 Sept. Coronado Springs Resort - 1st Family Trip
2013 Sept. Coronado Springs Resort - 2nd Family Trip
Me DH DD 14 DS 13
Crazy Mother of Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #480
SpinTheWorld
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Mother of Two View Post
Thank you for your help!
My pleasure. Enjoy your trip!
SpinTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Here's what a little PIXIE DUST can do ....... a dining review+pics COMPLETED!!!!! dizneeat Disney Dining Reviews 666 01-10-2012 12:46 AM
The Random Thread: Inspired by the last Random Thread marypops! Teen Disney 3760 11-01-2009 02:58 PM
Disboutiquers Part 17 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-) teresajoy Disney for Families 3742 10-23-2009 10:38 AM
Jon and Kate Plus 8 Official Thread - Part 6 newtodis Community Board 3748 10-08-2009 07:09 AM
Just back from Free Dining and MNSSHP...the good, the bad and the Raisins??? wendy1974 Completed Trip Reports 4 10-04-2009 08:18 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: