Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #571
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Cynthia, I Hope you will soon feel better, all these health issues sound rather tedious!

I think I never commented on your last update - which I loved, just as all the pictures you have from this cruise. Alaska is definitely a spectacularly beautiful place and I think I need to add it to the list of places to visit (which is far too long already).
Thanks! The good news is I got the pictures edited for the next update. The bad news is that I was about 1/2 though the editing last night when my computer crashed. I finished editing them this morning but...forgot to upload them to photobucket! Arrgh. Hopefully I can get it done tonight, fingers crossed.

Alaska was absolutely fabulous, I am SO glad we went!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #572
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Gosh...dunno. The redaction part rings a bell but not the turbinate part. Need to dig up the paper.

It's been really bad this season. A cold that absolutely won't clear up and I really feel it's the sinuses. How in the world I'm supposed to go 10 days without blowing my nose (or coughing...which they didn't mention but that can't be good either, can it?) is beyond me.
IT does sound like what I had, although they just corrected the deviated septum. They siad the same things to me - no blowing my nose and I thought NO WAY can I do that. I LIVE with tissues at arms reach at all times.

I had no problems. I could do a gentle blow if I needed to but I really didn't need to do anything like I was doing before the surgery. I never needed pain meds and except for the allergy to the antibiotic,( go figure) I was fine and it was great. I made sure I did it outside of allergy season to help matters and I didn't really have too much coughing or blowing. I was afraid of sneezing which you really can't control much at all.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #573
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
IT does sound like what I had, although they just corrected the deviated septum. They siad the same things to me - no blowing my nose and I thought NO WAY can I do that. I LIVE with tissues at arms reach at all times.

I had no problems. I could do a gentle blow if I needed to but I really didn't need to do anything like I was doing before the surgery. I never needed pain meds and except for the allergy to the antibiotic,( go figure) I was fine and it was great. I made sure I did it outside of allergy season to help matters and I didn't really have too much coughing or blowing. I was afraid of sneezing which you really can't control much at all.
sneezing! I didn't think of that. Although with the current cold I have, it hasn't been as bad as normal but it can be horrid.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #574
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Hi Cynthia! Hope you feel better soon! So busy around all the holidays, so I know we may need to wait a bit, but I'm really looking forward to your next update!

We're considering excursions for next summer, and it seems that some of the excursions would be incredible on a sunny day, but maybe not so much in the fog. It seems so risky! We spent a week in Whistler in the fall once, and it rained the entire time, but was still beautiful. I kept thinking about how amazing it would have been with a little sunshine, but it wasn't a big deal because we weren't paying for excursions. (And our $300/pp bear tour was refunded because we didn't see any bears!) So I'd appreciate any advice!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/???)
April 2015: Easter Weekend at VWL!
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #575
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Oops! Double post!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/???)
April 2015: Easter Weekend at VWL!
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #576
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Hi Cynthia! Hope you feel better soon! So busy around all the holidays, so I know we may need to wait a bit, but I'm really looking forward to your next update!

We're considering excursions for next summer, and it seems that some of the excursions would be incredible on a sunny day, but maybe not so much in the fog. It seems so risky! We spent a week in Whistler in the fall once, and it rained the entire time, but was still beautiful. I kept thinking about how amazing it would have been with a little sunshine, but it wasn't a big deal because we weren't paying for excursions. (And our $300/pp bear tour was refunded because we didn't see any bears!) So I'd appreciate any advice!
Ah yes, the great weather debate! welcome to the northwest. Granted, the panhandle is outside of it but still!

Here's my take on it.
  1. Do your homework as best you can, for the excursions you want.
  2. Book through Disney for a "bigger" excursion. Yes, on certain tours you might pay a little bit more but if weather causes a cancellation, you will be covered.
  3. When it make sense, like the Juneau tram, wait and do it on site on the day you are in port
Weather is a huge variable, my best suggestion is to have a plan, and then a contingency plan!

If you have specific questions by pot or excursion, I am more than happy to answer as best I can!

Oh and just keep going back to Whistler, I find new amazing things every time, good weather and bad! It's one of my very favorite places in the world, and not for any one reason OR season!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #577
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

I know that i had started reading this long ago but never found any comments from me!!! Love,love it!!! Have totally convinced me to do an Alaska Cruise in summer of 2013!!!
Love all ur brew/brewery pics and info. My Hubby is a homebrewer and IPAs are his favorite and specialty. Heck his licence plate for his car even has IPA in it
So glad you liked your tablemates and everyone got along so well. I was also very excited to read that Jeff got to sit in the copilots place-I am sure no one on the plane would have appreciated it more.
All ur photos are just great and thanks so much for sharing ur amazing trip. I hope your health issues get straightened out and you are feeling better soon.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #578
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Merry Christmas!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #579
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Another round of absolutely stunning pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us. I hope you're feeling better, too.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #580
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
I know that i had started reading this long ago but never found any comments from me!!! Love,love it!!! Have totally convinced me to do an Alaska Cruise in summer of 2013!!!
Hi Mary! It is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! You would love it

Quote:
Love all ur brew/brewery pics and info. My Hubby is a homebrewer and IPAs are his favorite and specialty. Heck his licence plate for his car even has IPA in it
I love it!!!!!!!!! Santa always brings Jeff a killer IPA

Quote:
So glad you liked your tablemates and everyone got along so well. I was also very excited to read that Jeff got to sit in the copilots place-I am sure no one on the plane would have appreciated it more.
He had a blast!

Quote:
All ur photos are just great and thanks so much for sharing ur amazing trip. I hope your health issues get straightened out and you are feeling better soon.
Thanks, I am quite a bit better. A ridiculous lingering dry throat but otherwise vastly improved. CRAZY busy between work and a girls trip to Sonoma...I did start my update, now just need time to finish it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Merry Christmas!
Merry Merry to you Tammie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Another round of absolutely stunning pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us. I hope you're feeling better, too.
Thanks Tina, I have lots more to follow, it will be a very fun update. I did get it started at least on the Sonoma girls trip but...you know...wine tasting...13 girls....I didn't get it finished!

I am quite a bit better thank you. A ridiculous lingering dry throat but otherwise vastly improved.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #581
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Cynthia,
Merry Christmas for you and the whole family.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #582
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Merry Christmas Cynthia! Hope you had a great one!

I'm finally getting some post-holiday DIS time! I'm all caught up again... but it seems you were as busy as me since I only missed one update.

Gorgeous pictures of the glaciers! I can only imagine how stunning they are in person!
DisMomAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #583
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Cynthia,
Merry Christmas for you and the whole family.
thanks Pat, I hope yours was wonderful too!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Merry Christmas Cynthia! Hope you had a great one!

I'm finally getting some post-holiday DIS time! I'm all caught up again... but it seems you were as busy as me since I only missed one update.

Gorgeous pictures of the glaciers! I can only imagine how stunning they are in person!
Yes, sadly it really got away from me this month although I do have an update today! They were really mind boggling, a once in a lifetime thing for sure.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #584
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Lunch in the Wilderness

I had NO intention of going this long between updates but….it is that time of year. Add in a couple of short getaways, a cold that wouldn’t die, crazy times at the office and normal holiday stuff and well…here we are a month later. YIKES! Let’s go back to Taku!

As we approached landing, we watched the others

]

We meandered up. Ok, that’s not fair, as a general rule we don’t meander. Either way, we made our way up

If I had a “REAL” wilderness lodge, I might want one of these

Or one of these

Oh, and where is Taku glacier you might ask? Right there!

We wandered around a bit, checking things out

As we walked by this sign, we were altered that there was a bear in a tree

So of course, we went to check it out

Yeah. He was really IN that tree. I took a bazillion pictures and that’s as good as I got.

We did some glacier shots

Checked out our meal, which was on the grill and enjoyed strolling around the lodge area. After lunch there would be a walk so we weren’t going to go too far for now.

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 12-26-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #585
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

It was time to go in for lunch. Somehow I missed taking interior shots although there was a good reason. At first, I know I tried but the lighting was tough and we literally had to go get food the minute we walked in. It is a darling log cabin style room though, huge roaring fire and lots of windows. Very cozy! This is what we had for lunch (I did at least get a picture of that!)

Biscuits, bread, salmon, apples and beans. SO yummy!!!!!!!!! We also had Russian tea and cold drinks served on real glacier ice. You could buy beer or wine but we opted out. It was a nice selection though. We had just sat down when all of a sudden we heard…”Hey! There’s a bear at the grill!”

And sure enough, there was!

A smaller one, possibly the one that had been in the tree, wanted in on the action

But was shooed away

It was so fascinating to watch! Apparently there are about 7-10 bears that roam the area so it’s pretty common. While they don’t deliberately feed them, the bears go after the residual salmon oils on the grill and pick it clean of any drippings and stuck on skin! It is very much a working lodge with a significant staff that lives there year round. Over our lovely lunch we learned about Mary Joyce, whose lodge we were at. In true Disney style, the story teller was dressed as Mary Joyce in her fabulous mushing outfit (not at all dissimilar to Minnies!). I can’t believe I didn’t get a picture of her. A little bit about Mary.

Mary Joyce was an Alaskan adventurer of the highest caliber, and when Alaska was still just a territory she owned and operated a remote lodge near Juneau, became the first woman radio operator in the territory, and flew her own bush plane. In later years, after selling her lodge, she joined Pan Alaska Airways as a stewardess, and then settled in Juneau, where she worked as a nurse and bought two popular local bars.

Mary Joyce's biggest claim to fame, besides her dauntless courage in trying new adventures, was her 1936 dogsled trip from her Taku Lodge near Juneau to Fairbanks, 1,000 miles away. LitSite Alaska's digital archives include an article by Jennifer Houdek detailing Mary's story:

"Joyce was invited to participate in the 1936 Fairbanks Ice Carnival set for March. Always ready for an adventure, Joyce decided to drive her dogs on the thousand-mile journey; however, she knew that to travel safely, she would need guidance. Leaving in late December, she hitched up five dogs and joined a group of Natives headed for Atlin, British Columbia. Her guide's name was Chocak Lagoose."

At Tulsequah, the party crossed the nearly frozen Taku River. Journaling as she traveled, Joyce wrote: "Chocak Lagoose scolded his sons and made them put boughs over holes so I could not see the water underneath while crossing. 'White Lady plenty scared.' Crossed on my hands and knees and dogs followed like soldiers. Crossed upper Taku and another place over rapids on huge cakes of ice three feet apart helped by sweepers and snags. Put chain on Tip (lead dog) and each dog fell into water, pulled them out on another cake of ice. In places, just room for sled on ice cakes with water leaping over and gurgling underneath."

Mary's journey had barely begun with that adventure, and it wasn't until a week later that she reached the "most hazardous" part of the trip, between Burwash Landing and Tanana Crossing, following the Kluane River in temperatures reaching sixty degrees below zero. When she finally arrived in Fairbanks, where she learned she'd been entered in the Miss Alaska beauty contest, but she declined the competition in favor of an honorary membership in the Pioneer Women of Alaska.

Mary kept a journal of her trip which was published in 2007 with the title, "Mary Joyce, Taku to Fairbanks, 1,000 Miles by Dogteam," by her cousin, Mary Anne Greiner, who wrote glowingly of Mary for the back cover: "She was the first white person over a portion of the trail which later became part of the Alcan Highway. Her narrative and descriptions of Alaska's people, dogteams, vast landscapes and dangers encountered on the trail are wrapped in her wry humor and perspectives of the 30's. Mary was a nurse who moved to Alaska to the Taku Lodge in 1930 aboard a yacht, which also carried lavender bathroom fixtures and a cow. She was a pilot, a stewardess, a musher, a homesteader, a movie actress, a territorial government candidate, and more...and so loved her adopted Alaska. The author, a relative, has included the adventures and photos of her life from the family farm in Baraboo, Wisconsin where she was born until her death in 1976 in Juneau. Mostly all of Mary's clippings, photos and writings have been donated to the 'Mary Joyce Collection' in the State of Alaska Library Historical Collections and the Juneau Douglas Museum."

Lunch complete it was time for our nature walk.

Our guide, plus the lodge dogs and our group (probably about 20 people?) headed out into the woods. Walk with us! We were headed to “sometimes a waterfall”

As you can see, it was a gorgeous little walk in the woods!!! Our time at Taku was over, but not the adventure. We still had a return flight to complete.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: