Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #151
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
Merry Christmas Rinky !

I love the recipes especially the one for the Turtles......just yesterday while shopping DH and I got into a disagreement about chocolate covered pretzels which he insists he does not like yet has never tasted them (we have this "disagreement"over lots of foods) anyway I want to make your turtles and watch him eat them not knowing about the pretzels, he loves chocolate so I think I can pull this off

Yep picking pecans is a southern thing but we can buy then in the shell in bags
Well I guess I am lucky b/c DH and DD both will eat just about anything I put in front of them. I bet your DH would like those turtles though. They are really, really good! I've never met anyone who doesn't like them. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
Thanks for the awesome update! Too bad about the lifeboat drill mix-up, but I'm glad it all got sorted out!

Dinner sound divine! My favorite part of cruising is eating, so I love to hear about all the dining experiences. How long did you guys spend at dinner? We are thinking about a last minute cruise, but I'm not sure how DS would do with extended dining.

The food on the Dream is soooooo good! We were really pleased with almost everything. And the dinners moved really quickly. They were not rushing us or anything, but it moved along a lot faster than I expected. Each meal is 5 courses (I think) and they bring the drinks and bread out as soon as you sit down. Then the starters came almost immediately too b/c it was stuff that you would want to eat with the bread, like soup and salad. They time it perfectly though so it's not rushed but doesn't take forever either. I thought we finished up faster every evening than what we do in restaurants around home. The service is just so good. We were never sitting there waiting for anything. I think you'll be pleased.

Do you think it would be OK if we brought the ipad to the table and let him watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with the sound off? I don't want to be rude, and I know some people don't like technology at the table, but people don't like fussy kids either.

I would absolutely bring it if it works. I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thought. I'm sure they would rather see a child watching a movie than a child whining or crying. I don't blame you one bit. My DD was not very good about sitting in restaurants either at that age and we ALWAYS carried something for her to do. You can always ask for private dining though.

DS is doing much better with eating out, we went to a fairly nice restaurant last weekend and he sat with no issues for about an hour and a half, watching the ipad (with the sound off). No one seemed bothered by it, but no one else was sitting at our table either.

Again, if I was your tablemate, I'd much prefer a contented child to a fussy one.
replies in blue

ETA: I just went back and checked the times on all my dining pictures and we were seated at 5:45 and done by 7:00 each night... so 1:15 for each meal. That's fast to me for so many courses. Hope that helps!

Last edited by RinkyTinkyTinky; 12-23-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #152
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkyTinkyTinky View Post
You too Sheree! Eat some smokies for me!

When are you guys leaving for Va? I hope you have a safe trip and we'll be praying for you.
Thanks! I will definitely be eating more than my share!

We will be leaving for VA at 0-dark-30 on Monday morning. Probably on the road by 6. Monday will be a long day of driving - hopefully to Pennsylvania and then on Tuesday only a short day to get the rest of the way, hopefully by early afternoon.
Thanks for your prayers. It's sure nice to know I have such good people helping us out!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #153
MeMom
DIS Veteran

We do love those little smokies at our house, too. I take them to functions all the time - covered in barbecue sauce in a crockpot. There are never any leftovers. I am going to make a package of them with the bacon and brown sugar for us to have at Jill's house tonight. I've done that bacon/cheese/cracker recipe before, too. So good!

I will be trying the turtles, for sure. I love the white or milk chocolate covered pretzels. And anything with nuts works for me!

How fun it would be to have a DIStown Center where we could gather - sharing recipes and stories, sipping on hot chocolate in the winter and ice cold lemonade in the summer, DIS kids playing in the yard or doing fun crafts together.

Merry Christmas to your family! I will be on the road to Alabama in a few hours. Have a great weekend!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #154
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Is it too late to join in? I just found your TR and am all caught up!

Your photos are awesome. Between you and Jen, you really have me drooling over the Dream. (Is there a drooling smiley????? Jen??????? Surely you have one??????)

The AD story was priceless! It reminded me of last year when I shoved Katie onto Rockin Roller Coaster. Same deal. She had looked forward to it so long, then was trying to chicken out at the last. Soooooo..... no flames here........ or I'd be throwing them at myself as well!

Merry Christmas! Can't wait to read more!
Old 12-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #155
mommy2mb
Mouseketeer

Joining in!!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #156
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Thanks! I will definitely be eating more than my share!

We will be leaving for VA at 0-dark-30 on Monday morning. Probably on the road by 6. Monday will be a long day of driving - hopefully to Pennsylvania and then on Tuesday only a short day to get the rest of the way, hopefully by early afternoon.
Thanks for your prayers. It's sure nice to know I have such good people helping us out!
Well I hope you have a safe and uneventful trip. Hope you've managed to have some joy in your Christmas day despite your sad news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
We do love those little smokies at our house, too. I take them to functions all the time - covered in barbecue sauce in a crockpot. There are never any leftovers. I am going to make a package of them with the bacon and brown sugar for us to have at Jill's house tonight. I've done that bacon/cheese/cracker recipe before, too. So good!

I will be trying the turtles, for sure. I love the white or milk chocolate covered pretzels. And anything with nuts works for me!

How fun it would be to have a DIStown Center where we could gather - sharing recipes and stories, sipping on hot chocolate in the winter and ice cold lemonade in the summer, DIS kids playing in the yard or doing fun crafts together.

Merry Christmas to your family! I will be on the road to Alabama in a few hours. Have a great weekend!
We like them in BBQ sauce too! YUM!

Well I nominate you to start a Distown blog where we can share recipes and tips and whatever! I'm way too techno illiterate for anything like that. In fact, I don't even know if that's what a blog is for!

Hope you had safe travels and a wonderful Christmas day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post

Your photos are awesome. Between you and Jen, you really have me drooling over the Dream. (Is there a drooling smiley????? Jen??????? Surely you have one??????)

The AD story was priceless! It reminded me of last year when I shoved Katie onto Rockin Roller Coaster. Same deal. She had looked forward to it so long, then was trying to chicken out at the last. Soooooo..... no flames here........ or I'd be throwing them at myself as well!

No way is it too late! We haven't even gotten started good yet! I'm so glad you came over! I would've invited you personally, but I really hate to do that b/c I don't want people to feel obligated to join in. I know how busy life is and you can't read every TR out there, but I sure am glad you are here.

I'm sure I'll need photography tips along the way from you. You know I'm just working with a fancy point and shoot here, so I'm limited with what I can do. My pictures won't be anywhere near what you and Jen take, but I'll try to tell a good story to go along with it to make up the difference!

You really do need to bite the cruising bullet. You'd be in heaven with all the gorgeous costumes in the shows.

Sometimes you just have to push kids along a little don't you. We all know our kids and what they need. I was always so shy as a kid and I wish now that my parents had pushed me more than what they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2mb View Post
Joining in!!
Yay, new readers! So glad you are here! Make yourself at home!
Old 12-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #157
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post

Does that works?

Thanks for the recipes! They sound good!!!!
Old 12-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #158
Lovemy3babes
Is always in need to get herself and her children back to our "Happy Place"!

Thanks for the recipes Rinky! They both sound and look yummy!!! I hope you had a very Merry Christmas!

Just me and my girl…a very special 13th Birthday trip!
(updated 2/20/14)
Old 12-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #159
kmrein
Mouseketeer

Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas. Thanks for the recipes! We're hosting a Rose Bowl party this year for our Badgers and I'm going to try the bacon-wrapped little smokies.

1989-first trip (off-site); 1997/2011-Port Orleans FQ
2004/05/07/08/10/13-Fort Wilderness Campground
2010-Polynesian Resort

2012-Disneyland (Grand Californian/Paradise Pier)
2014-Art of Animation/Fort Wilderness split stay
Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #160
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Hi Rinky!

I've just caught up with your new TR - I remember reading your last one and really enjoying it

We went on the Dream as part of our honeymoon last summer and absolutely loved it! It was our first ever cruise & we've already booked our next one

Btw I think in your last TR, you wrote about doing 'pick a pearl' for your DD in the Japan Pavilion at Epcot? Well I wanted to say thank you as it inspired me to the same during our last trip, I love the cinderella carriage necklace I have now!

Hope you've had a great Christmas and look forward to reading more,

Emma x

Old 12-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #161
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post

Does that works?

Thanks for the recipes! They sound good!!!!
That's some serious drooling!

You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3babes View Post
Thanks for the recipes Rinky! They both sound and look yummy!!! I hope you had a very Merry Christmas!
You're welcome! We did have a great Christmas and I hope you did too. I know Christmas is exciting at your house with four kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrein View Post
Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas. Thanks for the recipes! We're hosting a Rose Bowl party this year for our Badgers and I'm going to try the bacon-wrapped little smokies.
I feel pretty sure that the little smokies will be a big hit. Men especially like them... you know it's the whole meat wrapped in meat thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
Hi Rinky!

I've just caught up with your new TR - I remember reading your last one and really enjoying it

We went on the Dream as part of our honeymoon last summer and absolutely loved it! It was our first ever cruise & we've already booked our next one

Btw I think in your last TR, you wrote about doing 'pick a pearl' for your DD in the Japan Pavilion at Epcot? Well I wanted to say thank you as it inspired me to the same during our last trip, I love the cinderella carriage necklace I have now!

Hope you've had a great Christmas and look forward to reading more,

Emma x

WELCOME!! I'm so glad you found me again. I absolutely remember you and you planning your honeymoon. It sounds like it was fantastic! The Dream is definitely a wonderful place to spend a honeymoon! And I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the P-A-P in Japan. I still get lots of compliments on that cage pendant too. It's probably my favorite Disney souvenir.

Hope you had a great Christmas too!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #162
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

The Second Day of Swinter: Part 4

I sure hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas holiday, and I wish you all a very happy 2012!

I left off last time with our stellar Titanic reenactment up on the bow of the ship. It was so nice and quiet up there, but it was time for the show, so we made our way back down to the theater.

The adult pool was always empty.

101 Dalmations was playing on the big screen.

As you can see, the pool had thinned out, and it was even better later on.

Finally, it was time for our first show. I was really looking forward to this. No one does live entertainment like Disney.

Our show for the night was…

I loved the Snow White part! They used some kind of transparent screens to give the forest a really cool 3-D effect.

The dwarfs were kids from the audience.

Hunchback

Lots of bubbles fell on the audience during Ariel’s gig.

Continued in next post

Last edited by RinkyTinkyTinky; 12-27-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #163
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

The Rapunzel part was my favorite! They used the same effect that they did with Snow White and all the lanterns looked so cool.

Lion King

Can you spy a buff ape-man in a loin cloth?

Betcha don’t see that every day!

The show was FANTASTIC!! We loved it! I even got teary eyed at the end when they showed pictures of Walt Disney and talked about his dreams. It was very touching.

When we got back to the room, our first fish extender gifts were waiting for us! (I’ll show everything we got in a later post.)

It was 9:30 and for us, that’s way too early to turn in when on vacation, so we decided to see if the pools had cleared out.

Oh yes! That is MUCH better!

DH and DD went straight for the…

The flaming, lava encrusted staircase to Hades was nice and cool now!

Finally some AD footage (12 sec.)

Click on the picture

DD had a great time in the Mickey pool.

Continued in next post

Last edited by RinkyTinkyTinky; 12-27-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #164
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

I noticed the spray area was empty so I thought it would be a good time to get some better pictures.

I love the theme in there!

DD found this glass ‘window’ in the floor that showed the ocean beneath. It was pretty cool. They had one in the bottom of the hot tub too.

I watched the end of Beauty and the Beast on the big screen while DH and DD warmed up in the hot tub.

When the movie ended, it was time to go. I planned to be up before the sun the next morning to see the ship pull into the Bahamas, so we needed to get some sleep. We got drinks to go at the fountain station by the pool. (Don’t forget about this if you are cruising soon. You can get drinks 24/7 by the pool even after all the counter service places have closed.)

We walked through Cabanas (buffet place) to get back to our room.

They have mosaic tile murals in here that are amazing! Pictures just don’t do them justice!

The time on the ship and at Disney World was…

Looking at that made me excited for the WDW portion of our trip that was to come!

I checked the TV in our room when we got back to see where we were. I loved this feature. The circle on the map shows where the ship is. We were about halfway there!

I remember us all being really tired that night. It had been such an exciting day! And believe it or not, I adjusted pretty quickly to the small room and never had that panicky feeling again. The soft, down filled bed and pillows felt so good and I slept like a baby. The mild rocking of the ship put us all out like a light!

And that was the end of our first day on the cruise. I can’t believe I’ve only covered one day! We’ve already done so much! The best is definitely yet to come though!

Up next: On the third day of Swinter my vacation gave to me… a heavenly blue lagoon and palm trees as far as you can see!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #165
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Wow awesome update! What a great ending to your first day of cruising. You guys did so much that day!! I am so impressed!

The show looks fantastic and riding the AquaDuck at night looks super cool. Loved the video!

Your pictures are great as always! Can't wait to hear all about the rest of your trip!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: