Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #811
HunnyJar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylp3 View Post
I've eaten at Artist Point before as a vegan - it was awesome. Haven't been to Jiko yet.
Thanks for the feedback. Do you happen to remember what you had? Looking at the menu now it looks as though the vegetarian option is gnocchi, but I know that menu items can change pretty often.

HunnyJar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #812
cherylp3
Florida Resident

I had grilled bok choy - I don't recall what else.

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #813
cherylp3
Florida Resident

Yes I did. Be very careful of your head server, and server.

I was on 3 cruises on the dream.

2 of them were excellent because I had Ronald the restaurant manager.
The other I had a normal head server and there was communications issues.
One time I got offered a dessert with marscepone cheese

The chef at the enchanted garden is excellent.

Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyella522 View Post
this thread is gearing me up!! 20 days until disney. We are doing 4 days @ wdw and then 4 days on dream.

anyone do a vegan disney cruise?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #814
cherylp3
Florida Resident

Just a reminder to all the new gluten free UDI rolls with egg are being implemented.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #815
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

Disney cruise

I've written in detail previously about the problems we had, as vegans, on our cruise on the Disney Dream. Our server was, frankly, horrible. It was very disappointing since we've had such good experiences in the park.

Our best meals were breakfast and lunch at the buffet. The chefs looked for us after the first day and brought special treats to our table, and happily prepared us vegan options. The chef also made a special point of sending vegan food down to Castaway Cay for us and told us to ask for it.

I have booked another cruise for next December, and here's what I will do differently. I will email in advance (our travel agent did note that we were vegan on our reservation, but I will email guest relations as well), and on the first day, if I don't feel our server is up to speed, I will INSIST on speaking to the manager and the chef. (I asked on our previous cruise, and the server said I could NOT talk to them.) If that isn't satisfactory, I will go to guest relations on the ship, immediately.

They do have plenty of good vegan options available. I know, because the chefs at the buffet were able to make us all kinds of good things. Our server was just an idiot, who did not really know what vegan meant and kept bringing us food with cheese all over it. (A concern because one of my family members is severely allergic to dairy.)

Teresa
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #816
let'sgo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunnyJar View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Do you happen to remember what you had? Looking at the menu now it looks as though the vegetarian option is gnocchi, but I know that menu items can change pretty often.
I was at Artist Point early in Dec and mentioned to the server that I was vegetarian. He said that would leave me with the sweet potato gnocchi entre. I went with it and was so glad I did. It was excellent--tasty and just perfect. The chef there knows what he is doing. So go and enjoy! I'll be going back.
let'sgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #817
gardengirl628
I'm sorry I bit you....and pulled your hair....and punched you in the face.

I had the gnocchi and portabello soup at Artist Point 2x last year....omg so good!

Dana
WDW-offsite 1977, 1984; Dixie Landings November 1998; CSR June 2007; AKL November/December 2009; BWV/Western Magic/BLT February 2011; BCV July 2011; BLT/3 day Dream October 2012; HHI April 2013; BW August 2013
gardengirl628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #818
cherylp3
Florida Resident

Most of the chefs at artists point also have worked at Sanaa. If you like a certain dish, mention it. They might be able to recreate it.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #819
HunnyJar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Most of the chefs at artists point also have worked at Sanaa. If you like a certain dish, mention it. They might be able to recreate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl628 View Post
I had the gnocchi and portabello soup at Artist Point 2x last year....omg so good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by let'sgo View Post
I was at Artist Point early in Dec and mentioned to the server that I was vegetarian. He said that would leave me with the sweet potato gnocchi entre. I went with it and was so glad I did. It was excellent--tasty and just perfect. The chef there knows what he is doing. So go and enjoy! I'll be going back.
Thank you all for your posts! I appreciate it. My husband and I have been thinking about trying Artist Point for several years now. I know a few years ago they had a potato chive pot stickers they used to serve for vegetarians and I was really looking forward to trying it, but the gnocchi sounds very good as well. Glad to see so many good reviews from all of you. I have to admit I was a little worried about going since it seems like such a meat based restaurant, but after seeing all these reviews I'll be suggesting this to my husband. Thanks again!

HunnyJar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #820
coltsfanatic
"I'm the sweetest vegan you'll ever meet."

Location: 80 Miles from THE Ohio State University, but Florida real soon!

Question Flying Fish?

Need to make ADRs Monday. Anyone tried Flying Fish? Of course, I used to love seafood before I became vegan but now I can't have it. Are the salads or soups enough to make a meal on? (portion sizes)
coltsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #821
tribevegan
Earning My Ears

Short food review

I'm vegan and my mom is gluten free/mostly vegan. We just did four days in Disney world, stayed at Pop Century. I'm mostly writing this to warn everyone about my bad experiences...haha. First though I'll talk about the good. Babycakes was great! You wanna make sure you go sometime early in the day though because when I first went at 8pm there was a limited selection. Also, if you see something online someone else got (like I saw a parfait) that might not be there because they make different stuff everyday. The first night though, I got a jelly filled donut, a mini chocolate crunch donut, a banana cupcake top and a brownie bite. It was all really good! I had read the banana wasn't good but it was. The second day I went around noon and they were still baking and frosting things. I got six donuts which are the best thing to get, one cupcake with mint frosting (it tasted JUST like mint chocolate chip ice cream), and another brownie bite. They had gingerbread men, but I really liked the donuts so stuck with those. They were also baking some wonderbun/cinnamon roll type things, but they weren't ready yet ...
Anyway, The best places I ate in the parks were as follows:
Magic Kingdom: the hummus/tomato sandwich at Columbia Harbour House was just ok. The hummus was really good, I just wish they had something else. That day I ate at Boma for dinner, so nothing in the park.
Epcot:The best place was Tangerine Cafe. I got the veggie platter with cous cous, tabouli, hummus, falafel, onion/lettuce salad, olive salad and a gluten free/vegan roll. Best food in any park! Also got an iced mint tea, which was great!
Hollywood: Backlot Express grilled veggie sandwich w/ no cheese on the multigrain roll is awesome.
The bad: For dinner in epcot I wanted to try the counter service mexican place, La Cantina...I hadn't heard good things, but I thought hey, this is disney....wrong. They offered chips with black beans, guac, salsa, lettuce tomato onions. That sounded pretty good....until we got it and it was literally a pile of chips with black beans on one side and a small scoop of guac on the other. for $10. crazy. So we asked for more guac and to speak to the chef again...he said they don't have lettuce tomato and onion....so weird since he said before we would get it. It also didn't taste that great anyway....We should have just shared another veg platter from Morocco or gone to the Land, but we were trying to watch the Illuminations show...oh well.
I thought Boma would be similar to tusker house which was AWESOME last year...well Boma was not as good. There were very few gluten free and vegan options...pretty much everything gluten free was just vegetarian and had butter in it and the chef (chef Arol) did not offer to make anything special for my mom. I had a few more options, but not much. It was just so surprising since I thought Boma was supposed to be so veg friendly! He asked if he could make anything else and I suggested a tofu dish...he made one with asparagus and broccolini. It was really good and then we got raspberry sorbet for dessert which I liked but my mom didn't. After this meal, my mom started to feel sick-she had eaten some mayo out of a dispenser at Columbia Harbour house earlier that day....it was runny and not right, but she ate it anyway. It had to have been that and she had food poisoning for the next two days, so we couldn't go to Kouzzina...
I ended up eating two meals in the Pop Century food court though, which were great! Chef Jose made me two awesome gluten free vegan pizzas and sweet potato fries. The cheese wasn't the best kind but it was good, and the sauce and veggies were really good (mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, olives, onions, artichokes). Honestly I realized this trip I should stick with Chef tj if I can and just eat at pop century-people don't realize how good the cheap food can be I think.
I did not make a reservation for 1900 park fare because I had heard about the crappy atmosphere and the chance you might not get chef tj, so I just didn't want to risk that. But the atmosphere at Boma was just as crowded and noisy as 1900 park fare is supposed to be-it's also really dark...I wish I had just took a chance with 1900 park fare.
I almost forgot-I tried Fresh A'peel the first night...got the plain salad with balsamic and the veggie chili....The salad was boring and tasteless, even with more dressing and the chili had the weirdest taste and I like weird food, but this was just strange..like it was too much of something.
To sum it up, magic kingdom food is nothing special and there only about one or two places to eat in Hollywood and Epcot. I definitely recommend the Pop Century Food court...there are so many choices and the chef will make you whatever you want. Go to Babycakes early in the day and don't eat at fresh a peel. Boma is not that great, you should try to get chef tj at 1900 Park Fare if possible. Hope that helps with your planning!
tribevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #822
danyella522
Mouseketeer

thank you for those with cruise suggestions!

AKL January 2010
Poly May 2010
BLT January 2011
danyella522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #823
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

We were just at Disney for a couple days, and I'll share my experience as a vegan.

At Teppan Edo they were very nice and accommodating. I was told that the noodles have egg in them, so I was able to have veggies and rice. They made my food first, but it was quick, and then they made everyone else's food. I didn't start eating until everyone was served, because I felt bad.

At Kouzzina I had an assortment of side dishes and an order of the BEST hummus and pita (GF, DF). I had the beans, the sauteed greens, and the orzo. This was enough food for at least 2 meals, so I took some home to my mom's house and had it for lunch 2 days later. It was still amazing, and the best food I had all week (at Disney and my mom's).

I ordered chips and guacamole at the outdoor counter service place in Mexico at Epcot, and other than being way too spicy for my kids to eat and taking FOREVER to get the order, it was good.

Other than that, I ate some snacks I had brought and I bought a few snacks (bag of chips, fruit, etc).

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #824
cherylp3
Florida Resident

regarding Flying fish, I've only gone there twice. the 1st time was excellent with the old salad that had walnuts, the second time the new salad was ok and the gluten free spaghetti didn't come out right. I got some potatoes as a replacement.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #825
coltsfanatic
"I'm the sweetest vegan you'll ever meet."

Location: 80 Miles from THE Ohio State University, but Florida real soon!

Quote:
regarding Flying fish, I've only gone there twice. the 1st time was excellent with the old salad that had walnuts, the second time the new salad was ok and the gluten free spaghetti didn't come out right. I got some potatoes as a replacement.
Perfect! Thanks, I thought there would be at least one or two safe items.
coltsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: