Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #31
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Hey, glad you're here. I need to give you credit later on for an idea you gave me.
Hmm, now I'm intrigued!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014
Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #32
Moodyzblu
DIS Veteran

Joining in !!

Come check out ..
Jayden's Wish pre-trip report !
It Smells Like Elephant and Forbidden Journey's Wish Trip Report ... in progress
The Moodys Do Disneyland!
Youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Moodyzblu
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #33
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
I missed snagging the prestigious position of "first to sign on" by less then a minute.

Now “that”… would have been insulting.
Yes. Yes it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoot View Post
sounds like my DW....
At least I don't have to convince mine to fly halfway around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
I'm here, I'm here! Can't wait to read all about it!
I'm glad you came by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
joining in!
Good to see you. Maybe we can see if we crossed paths at any point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Hmm, now I'm intrigued!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodyzblu View Post
Joining in !!
Thanks for stopping by for my slow start!

Ok, I'm finally back at work and hopefully getting into a somewhat "normal" schedule. Between vacation and 2 conferences, I figured yesterday that I'd slept in my own bed for a total of 4 out of the last 20 nights. I used to work for the USDA and traveled all the time. I'd routinely be away from home 4 nights each week. I even got a Christmas card one year from Holiday Inn Express congratulating me on being in the top 1% of their customers for the year. Just being away for a couple of conferences over the past week has made me grateful that I've had a new opportunity come about. It took a bit of a pay cut, but for the last 3 years, I've been working about 10 minutes from home and I'm there every night. I don't know how I used to do all that traveling.

Anyway, now that I'm working my way back to a routine schedule, hopefully I can get an update in here soon!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #34
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

What the fog???

What the fog???

We spent Thursday afternoon doing all the traditional Thanksgiving driving around and stuffing ourselves to no end. We usually end up with my dad’s side of the family where we watch a Christmas movie and hang out until very late at night. This year, we left before movie time and I was in bed by 7pm while DW kept DS awake and played downstairs to ensure he’d be thoroughly worn out for the drive. I had my alarm set for 11:45 and we were going to be on the road by midnight.

We loaded up the truck and I backed out of the garage at 12:23 am. We were on the road and Florida bound.

We had talked about flying, but decided to drive. I don’t mind flying, I actually enjoy it. What I don’t like is the hassle of getting to the airport and onto the plane. Since traveling with a toddler means taking half of your worldly possessions with you everywhere you go, we decided that it would just be easier to drive while he hopefully slept. That and we didn’t want DS to be “that kid” on a plane.

We pulled out onto the road and that’s when I realized this might not be a fun drive. There was fog. Heavy fog. So heavy it was dripping off my mirrors and forming ice sickles. It was a heavy fog when we left and it only gained intensity as we approached Louisville. I was driving through downtown Louisville barely able to see anything in front of me. I was starting to regret the plan to drive through the night, because if that fog didn’t break soon, it was going to be a long, miserable drive. I pressed on and finally about halfway through Kentucky the fog cleared. I was extremely relieved. I have never seen such an intense, widespread fog like that.

We made it to Georgia after just one quick stop for gas in Tennessee. Atlanta is always the wild card of the trip and we wanted to make sure we had a full tank of gas and full stomachs before we hit the metro area. McDonalds did the trick for a quick breakfast and we sailed through Atlanta during the tail end of a Black Friday morning rush hour without hitting any traffic to speak of. It sure was better than the drive though Louisville!

One of the best things about a road trip is the fact that you get to see interesting things. I’m not referring to the numerous billboards for adult bookstores and strippers that line I-75 in Georgia. I’m kind of an Ag nerd. I live on a corn and soybean farm, but growing things fascinates me. Crop science was my minor when I was in college. This was the first time I had ever driven through Georgia during the fall and I was kind of excited when I saw mature cotton plants standing in the fields. Better yet, I even got to see them harvesting it. Not something you ever get to see in Indiana. I really wish I had stopped to take pictures, but we pressed on. I thought it was interesting to see something new though. Little discoveries like that make the drive worthwhile!

We arrived at St. Pete beach at around 4pm. DS was a very good passenger for most of the drive, but started to get a little bit whiny for the last hour or 2. Who could blame him though? We kept him entertained with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in the DVD player and once we got checked in, we headed down to the beach to burn off some energy.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #35
Moodyzblu
DIS Veteran

I'm not a huge fan of driving to WDW (we used to drive from MA to FL and t's just WAY too far) but I love seeing all the side things. Farms and little towns are fascinating to me. I definitely love stopping at beaches too !

Love the pic of your ds on the beach !!

Come check out ..
Jayden's Wish pre-trip report !
It Smells Like Elephant and Forbidden Journey's Wish Trip Report ... in progress
The Moodys Do Disneyland!
Youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Moodyzblu
Old 12-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #36
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:

…I was in bed by 7pm
I had my alarm set for 11:45…
I backed out of the garage at 12:23 am…
This sounds like my evening the night before Thanksgiving (but there were a very different set of circumstances for that schedule)

Quote:

That and we didn’t want DS to be “that kid” on a plane.
I understand that one. Our boy’s first plane trip was at the age of 2-months , but thank the maker, he slept the whole time. Good thing too… this was before the advent of Air Marshals, and I suspect there’d have been blood shed had we been the parents of “that kid”.

Quote:

We pulled out onto the road and that’s when I realized this might not be a fun drive. There was fog. Heavy fog. So heavy it was dripping off my mirrors and forming ice sickles.
I have yet to drive to Fla without getting rained on at least once. I do believe that fog of that caliber would count as precipitation in my book.

Quote:

…we sailed through Atlanta during the tail end of a Black Friday morning rush hour without hitting any traffic to speak of. It sure was better than the drive though Louisville!

Fog worse then Black Friday traffic?
What the fog!

Quote:

One of the best things about a road trip is the fact that you get to see interesting things. I’m not referring to the numerous billboards for adult bookstores and strippers that line I-75 in Georgia.
They’ve got those in mass quantities along I-95 through GA as well. It must be something about Georgia. We may need to ask Fed about that one.

Quote:

I really wish I had stopped to take pictures…
Me too. Then you could have thrown in a side discussion on the process.

Topic… we don’t need no stinkin’ topic!

Quote:

We arrived at St. Pete beach at around 4pm. DS was a very good passenger for most of the drive, but started to get a little bit whiny for the last hour or 2. Who could blame him though? We kept him entertained with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in the DVD player
Better then the “Barney” that mine was into at that age.

Awwww… who an I kidding… DVD players in vehicles wasn’t happening back then. Long trips were torturous until the advent of the affordable “Game-Boy”.

Quote:
That… sir… is one great father-son picture.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #37
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Andy, your DS is a handsome young man!

That is some crazy fog!

We flew when Juliana was almost 2. It wasn't bad though. We packed her carry-on with all kinds of games and activities and a portable DVD player. It is only a 2 1/2 hour flight from here so it wasn't too bad.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #38
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Don't worry- the "that kid" spot on the plane is usually reserved for Everett. I'm sure you would have been safe!

Widespread fog does not sound like fun! I don't like driving across town, let alone across states, so that just sounds like a nightmare to me! Glad you made it to St Pete in one piece!
Old 12-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #39
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Love the update, Andy. We used to drive to Florida from Chicago all the time (we first started flying in 2000, so made about six or seven trips driving ). Atlanta is the absolute worse spot to drive through...I used to try to time it so I would be asleep when we went through Atlanta.

I love the pictures on the beach with your son...so sweet.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #40
amazingact21
Upendi

I'm joining in! Aside from the fog, the drive didn't sound too bad, which is a good start to any trip.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports:Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle -A May '14 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 12-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #41
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Hi! I came on over to join in on your fun!

First....congrats to you & DW for the new baby on the way!

Sounds like y'all were off to a good start for the trip. Well, besides that crazy fog! Your DS is sooo adorable! Can't wait to hear all about y'alls trip.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #42
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Once I drove in fog so thick that I missed my exit on Interstate 80, despite only going about 30mph. Couldn't see a blasted thing and shouldn't have been on the road, but hey, I was young and invincible.

We've done the drive to FL from PA, straight-through with a baby also. You think it's bad during the drive and then you get there and realize that the baby is raring to go when all you want to do is crash for about 12 hours. (Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all. )
Old 12-15-2011, 07:59 AM   #43
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodyzblu View Post
I'm not a huge fan of driving to WDW (we used to drive from MA to FL and t's just WAY too far) but I love seeing all the side things. Farms and little towns are fascinating to me. I definitely love stopping at beaches too !

Love the pic of your ds on the beach !!
I kind of go back and forth... I love being able to get somewhere in a couple of hours, but I really do enjoy the drive and seeing the sights. If I can get there in less than a day, I tend to lean towards just driving.

Quote:
This sounds like my evening the night before Thanksgiving (but there were a very different set of circumstances for that schedule)
Ok, here's the first shameless plug of this trip report. If anyone is interested in reading about a high school band's trip to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, check out this guy's TR.

Quote:
I understand that one. Our boy’s first plane trip was at the age of 2-months , but thank the maker, he slept the whole time. Good thing too… this was before the advent of Air Marshals, and I suspect there’d have been blood shed had we been the parents of “that kid”.
And I believe that was also before 9/11. I'd be more likely to want to fly before all the new rules went into effect.

Quote:
I have yet to drive to Fla without getting rained on at least once. I do believe that fog of that caliber would count as precipitation in my book.
Hadn't thought about it from that angle... good point.

Quote:
Fog worse then Black Friday traffic?
What the fog!
I know, right?

We actually took the long way to get onto the interstate. There's an outlet mall off an exit about 5 miles south of where we normally get on I-65. They were opening at 12 and we were leaving at about that time. I-65 was a parking lot the year before, so we just avoided the area.

Quote:
They’ve got those in mass quantities along I-95 through GA as well. It must be something about Georgia. We may need to ask Fed about that one.
I know... it's all you see

Quote:
Me too. Then you could have thrown in a side discussion on the process.
I could have, but I wouldn't know much about what I was discussing. Just enough to get myself into trouble.

Quote:
Better then the “Barney” that mine was into at that age.
Where's the gun to the head smiley?

Quote:
Awwww… who an I kidding… DVD players in vehicles wasn’t happening back then. Long trips were torturous until the advent of the affordable “Game-Boy”.
Loved my Game Boy. I still have my original one from when they first came out... and it still works. They don't make electronics like that anymore.

Quote:
That… sir… is one great father-son picture.
Thanks... I kind of like it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Andy, your DS is a handsome young man!
Thanks... he obviously takes after his dad.

Quote:
That is some crazy fog!

Quote:
We flew when Juliana was almost 2. It wasn't bad though. We packed her carry-on with all kinds of games and activities and a portable DVD player. It is only a 2 1/2 hour flight from here so it wasn't too bad.
Well, that would keep me distracted for 2 1/2 hours, but I still don't know what we'd do about Landon.

Quote:
Don't worry- the "that kid" spot on the plane is usually reserved for Everett. I'm sure you would have been safe!
Ok, next time we'll drive to DC and fly out of there then.

Quote:
Widespread fog does not sound like fun! I don't like driving across town, let alone across states, so that just sounds like a nightmare to me! Glad you made it to St Pete in one piece!
Yeah, I really wasn't enjoying it at the time. I even considered stopping and just staying in a hotel in Kentucky for the rest of the night. It kept teasing me by getting lighter and then coming back more dense than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Love the update, Andy. We used to drive to Florida from Chicago all the time (we first started flying in 2000, so made about six or seven trips driving ). Atlanta is the absolute worse spot to drive through...I used to try to time it so I would be asleep when we went through Atlanta.
You know, everybody talks about how bad Atlanta is... I don't even know how many times I've driven through there, but I can only remember 1 time that I've actually had to sit in traffic.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I like driving through Atlanta better than Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I love the pictures on the beach with your son...so sweet.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
I'm joining in! Aside from the fog, the drive didn't sound too bad, which is a good start to any trip.
Welcome! It wasn't bad at all. And anytime you end up in nice warm weather is a great start to a trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Hi! I came on over to join in on your fun!
Hi! Glad to see you here!

Quote:
First....congrats to you & DW for the new baby on the way!
Thanks!

Quote:
Sounds like y'all were off to a good start for the trip. Well, besides that crazy fog! Your DS is sooo adorable! Can't wait to hear all about y'alls trip.
Well, we survived and made it there despite the fog. Otherwise it was a nice drive.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #44
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
We had talked about flying, but decided to drive. I don’t mind flying, I actually enjoy it. What I don’t like is the hassle of getting to the airport and onto the plane. Since traveling with a toddler means taking half of your worldly possessions with you everywhere you go, we decided that it would just be easier to drive while he hopefully slept. That and we didn’t want DS to be “that kid” on a plane.
I enjoy flying as well--even the security stuff doesn't bother me that much. But I can definitely relate to not wanting to be "those parents" of "that kid". Not that it's ever happened before.

Quote:
I was driving through downtown Louisville barely able to see anything in front of me. I was starting to regret the plan to drive through the night, because if that fog didn’t break soon, it was going to be a long, miserable drive.
Either that, or it was going to be a very short miserable drive.

But did you stop? Never!

Quote:
It sure was better than the drive though Louisville!
Funny how two different TR's can make Louisville sound so different.

Quote:
One of the best things about a road trip is the fact that you get to see interesting things.

Great pictures of you and your son! I'm sure everyone was relieved to have made it.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #45
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Once I drove in fog so thick that I missed my exit on Interstate 80, despite only going about 30mph. Couldn't see a blasted thing and shouldn't have been on the road, but hey, I was young and invincible.
I felt that way once... then I turned 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
We've done the drive to FL from PA, straight-through with a baby also. You think it's bad during the drive and then you get there and realize that the baby is raring to go when all you want to do is crash for about 12 hours. (Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all. )
I considered that possibility. Actually it wasn't bad. I wanted to get back on a regular sleep schedule, so by the time I was ready to go to bed, he was too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I enjoy flying as well--even the security stuff doesn't bother me that much. But I can definitely relate to not wanting to be "those parents" of "that kid". Not that it's ever happened before.
I'm sure you never have "that kid." You just have Scotty.

Quote:
Either that, or it was going to be a very short miserable drive.

But did you stop? Never!
Touche. And of course not!

Quote:
Funny how two different TR's can make Louisville sound so different.
I don't think you'd be writing nice things about Louisville if you had to drive there on I-65 a few months after you did. Had a friend who said he sat on the busiest parking lot in southern Indiana this morning for an hour and 6 minutes... only 11 minutes longer than yesterday.

Quote:
Great pictures of you and your son! I'm sure everyone was relieved to have made it.
Thanks! And yes, it was great to be at the beginning of a great vacation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: