Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #16
ditsypixie
DIS Veteran

I really hope this is a rumor!! The CG has been our family's last night dinner for 4 years now. We all look forward to it and can't imagine our vacation without it
Old 12-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #17
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

From the internal FAQs is the Guest segment of The Hub

Quote:
When will the 14th floor close for the refurbishment?
The refurbishment will coincide with renovations already planned for early 2013. We expect the new suites to be open to Guests later in the year.

Will the California Grill restaurant also be undergoing a renovation during this time?

As part of our ongoing maintenance plan, we routinely renovate and refurbish locations within our theme parks and resort hotels. At this time, no details have been finalized about a renovation for the California Grill restaurant.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #18
MickeyMoguls
Earning My Ears

Our server on Friday night also told us they were closing in 2012, so I was glad we were able to eat there on this trip since we may not be back until the end of 2012. This was one of the best meals we had the entire trip.

1987- off site, 1990- off site, 1998-honeymoon off site, 2011- Anniversary trip CSR

MickeyMoguls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #19
JennyMP03
DIS Veteran

California Grill was one of the best dining experiences I've ever had, and easily my favorite at WDW. I'd be sad to hear about it closing, but I hope something equally worthy of the spectacular view takes its place if it is indeed nearing its end.

Moving to South Korea in August. Hoping my next Disney trip is to Tokyo DisneySea!
JennyMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #20
KFISCHER
DIS Veteran

For what it's worth...

I've searched high and low for a reliable source to confirm this "rumor" and have been unable to find anything.

Yes, why would they kill something so good, so popular.
KFISCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #21
melmlantz
Mouseketeer

I would be very sad CG is my favorite restaurant in all of WDW. Very glad we scheduled our 10th anniversary dinner there later this month.

Me(26) DH(29) Rajah Jasmine Gizmo Echo

1993: Off-site*
1998: ASM*2005: CBR*2006: Pop*2008: WL!*2011: OKW Christmas Trip*
melmlantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #22
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFISCHER View Post
I've searched high and low for a reliable source to confirm this "rumor" and have been unable to find anything.

Yes, why would they kill something so good, so popular.
Because it's a dated concept and could be even better. Hoping this rumor is true!
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #23
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFISCHER View Post
1. I've searched high and low for a reliable source to confirm this "rumor" and have been unable to find anything.
Post 17, a couple above yours, is the best you could get for right now.

CF re-posted it directly from the internal cast member website.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:42 AM   #24
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

A big change might get us back in the restaurant. Our last couple of meals there were extreamily disappointing and caused CG to drop drastically on our list of Signatures. The only thing it really had going for it anymore was the view. A brand new menu may be just what CG needs.

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV / 2014- POR
OhThePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #25
Cinders Mum
DIS Veteran

I have mixed feelings over this one.
our meal there last year was not a resounding success, 3 of us dining there, and only 1 of us had a good meal. the other 2 diners said they would not return....

So a change of style/theme etc may reopen this as an option for our family, but i do understand why a lot of people will be upset on hearing this .
Cinders Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #26
jfinke
DIS Veteran

That was the first "signature" restaurant that my wife (then girlfriend) and I ate at. It is also where we had our wedding reception. I have been disappointed with the place for the last several years. Between the dumbing down of the menu, people pushing and shoving for the fireworks, and lack of enforcement of the dress code (which may not even exist anymore), it is time for a change.

However, I do not hold much hope as dining across the board seems to have gone downhill.
jfinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #27
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I am adding the word "rumor" to the thread title as a cast member has posted Disney's official word to its cast members - which is that at this time there are no details regarding any planned renovation to the California Grill restaurant.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #28
Empress Room
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I am adding the word "rumor" to the thread title as a cast member has posted Disney's official word to its cast members - which is that at this time there are no details regarding any planned renovation to the California Grill restaurant.
It is interesting that Disney's own internal announcement chooses its words extremely carefully. Most importantly, it does NOT deny that the California Grill is being renovated, it simply says that there are "no details" regarding any planned renovation, which is consistent with what I had also heard from our CM friend (i.e. CG will be renovated but would reopen as a different themed and purposed restaurant of some kind). In addition, it also states affirmatively that Disney "routinely renovates AND refurbishes" its locations (i.e. a refurbishment of the present location resulting in a new concept).

This silence reinforces what we have been hearing, IMHO.
Empress Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #29
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

I'm sure something will happen change-wise. But again--why tamper with a good thing??
Unless, considering the location, they feel they can put any old thing there and folks will come anyway.

Hope that's not what they're thinking--
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #30
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinke View Post
However, I do not hold much hope as dining across the board seems to have gone downhill.
That's why I'd hate to see CG go... Because given the way things have been going, they'd probably take a page out of the character dining playbook and figure people will book for the view so they don't have to put together a menu and concept that "wows", much less incur the extra expenses that are no doubt involved in things like flatbread ovens, a sushi chef, and seasonal menu changes. As much as I'd like to think otherwise, I believe a re-themed Cali Grill would be the next CRT - high prices/two DDP credits for mediocre food in a memorable location.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: