Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
jitsb
Mouseketeer

*Our MAGICal Christmas Cruise* ~ Dec. 24th-30th: All pics uploaded (except scanned!)

Our MAGICal Christmas Cruise 2011!!

Ok, so I'm mainly a lurker here on the DISboards. The only time I really post/create stuff is when we're getting ready to travel and I need motivation! I did, however, post one previous trip report and HERE is the link to our MAGICal Mediterranean Cruise, if you're interested.

Disclaimer: This is the first time my small family and I have ever "go on vacation" for Christmas! All previous years it has been family gatherings, some involving hosting, some involving travel and one particularly hideous holiday last year which involved delayed flights on a translatlantic move with two small kids and a pair of cats. Needless to say, we are SUPER excited to be have booked such an unbelievable trip for ourselves and will ONLY be focusing on making the most of it. All negative-nellies and nay-sayers will be sent to the bring. Thank you.

INTRODUCTIONS:
My DH, military student extraordinaire, Jason (35)
Myself, your intrepid-compulsive reporter, Sarah (34)
Our DS, world-traveler oldest, Ian (8)
Our DS, reluctant tag-a-long, Tyler (5)

As you may have guessed, we lead what Paul Child referred to as "a curry of a life"! My DH and I met in college and we haven't settled down since! Since those far off college days, we've literally moved halfway across the world (and back!) and, more recently, developed a love of DCL. Now the hard part is convincing Uncle Sam that we need to always be stationed near something Disney and be consistently provided with ample vacation at the times we desire in order to take advantage of it. No prob!

We had an amazing time and turns out, we could not have been more grateful for spontaneously booking a Christmas CRUISE while on board! Our life has taken some frightening turns in the last year, but we are incredibly grateful that we have each other to spend this holiday with...oh, and Mickey of course!!

So, after 15 months of anticipation, our next big trip is almost here! By the time DH graduates, we will ALL be so in need of a vacay!! Most of my info will be pictures *cough*scrapbook*cough* and funny stories, seeing how we always end up with the strangest things to share! Guess we should be surprised seeing that our family motto, since the first move, has been "Always an Adventure!"

2011 6-night "Magic" Christmas cruise
2011 WDW Port Orleans ~ French Quarter
2010 11-night "Magic" Med cruise
2009 7-night W. Caribbean cruise "Magic"
2009 WDW Swan
1989 WDW Grand Floridian

HERE is a link to my 2011 Christmas Caribbean Magic trip report!
HERE is a link to my 2010 Mediterranean Magic trip report!

Last edited by jitsb; 02-28-2012 at 03:51 PM.
jitsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

im here

lookimg forward to reading all about it
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

I'm in!

Jill in CO (and I actually know where Lansing, KS is!)
Old 12-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
jitsb
Mouseketeer

Wow, look at that! I actually have people who are interested in reading! O.0 Oh, the pressure!

Hi Kurby! *waves* Hey jedijill! Love the name; we're big Star Wars fans around here. I think my boys are going to be super excited to spend the day before our cruise at Disney Hollywood Studios. Legos, Star Wars, and Mickey, what more could a boy ask for?!

We actually have had all kinds of friends and family living around the Denver area in the last 10 years so I know a bit about where you're living too!
-------------

T-Minus 15 days and Counting!!

So I was tempted to take/post some pictures of my disaster of a house, but I'm pretty sure DH would kill me! This place is knee-deep in the SOS method of organizing, Stacks Of ...Stuff lol! I have piles of clothes, door decorations, and swim gear all over the corners of our bedroom and the office is a "mine-field" (as DH so delicately put it) of FE gifts in various stages of completion.

I can't believe how I'm procrastinating my preparations for this trip! I blame the fact that my son's birthday is this weekend. I've been baking Christmas cookies, prepping snacks and wrapping presents in my "free time" this week. But, hey, at least I have my dress, shoes and accessories for Christmas Dinner all ready to go! A girl has to be properly attired, ya know.

DH is officially done with his classes for the year, so for the next week and a half, the "fun" of out-processing commences. I overheard him this morning, as he was slogging through lists and calendars, grumble to himself, "Man, I can't wait for this to be over. I'm so ready for a vacation!" Yay!!

I plan to post an itinerary next week, to help with finalizing the clothing plan before packing starts. But don't get too excited, there's really nothing much special going on this time... we're just ready to get away!

2009 WDW Swan
1989 WDW Grand Floridian

Old 12-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
jitsb
Mouseketeer

ONE WEEK LEFT !!

...and I'm so not ready! At least the FE gifts are packed and labeled. Now I just need to get myself packed! And with that in mind, here's the itinerary for our Christmas Cruise.

Thursday December 22nd: We better make sure our car is packed the night before because we have to leave bright and early to catch our 9:25 a.m. flight! Fortunately, the airport is only about 20-30 mins. away and my boys are early risers.
We should land in Orlando around 1:15p.m. and are taking the ME bus to Port Orleans resort: French Quarter! We're planning to store the bags at the Bell Service and hit the Magic Kingdom! Our boys were too little last time to do Space Mountain or Haunted Mansion, so I think we'll grab some snacks and ride all through dinner time! We plan to close out the park that night and experience the parade and fireworks for the first time... at Christmas. Awesome-sauce!!

Friday December 23rd: Another first for the jitsb crew: Disney Hollywood Studios! we plan to be there at park opening and stay until it's time to leave for dinner reservations at O'hana's. Anyone have an estimate on how long it will take to get to MK on park transfers at rush hour?!

Saturday December 24th: Embarkation Day!! We also have our DISboards Cruise Meet scheduled for that afternoon. Looking forward to meeting everyone! Causal dinner (hope we get a good rotation!) means I'm wearing my Tommy Bahama sundress and shell sandals! How awesome is that in December?!

Sunday December 25th:

Monday December 26th:

Tuesday December 27th:

Wednesday December 28th:

Thursday December 29th:

Friday December 30th:

2009 WDW Swan
1989 WDW Grand Floridian

Old 12-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
honeybubba
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitsb View Post
ONE WEEK LEFT !!

Friday December 23rd: Another first for the jitsb crew: Disney Hollywood Studios! we plan to be there at park opening and stay until it's time to leave for dinner reservations at O'hana's. Anyone have an estimate on how long it will take to get to MK on park transfers at rush hour?!
[/U]
It sounds like you will be going from Studios to Polynesian not to MK. Studios has buses to the resorts/hotels direct-ish. You may have to get on a bus that goes to Wilderness Lodge and/or Grand Floridian. It could take up to an hour or so, since you will be leaving near the end of the day along with the masses. The parks are typically at capacity or really close on these days, so lines in the buses could be full. If you wanted to go crazy, you could hop a bus to the TTC and walk to Polynesian right next door.

Past Cruises
July 2010 - Disney Wonder - Double Dip
June 2009 - Island Princess - Alaska
January 2008 - Disney Wonder - Bahamas
January 2007 - Carnival Imagination - Cozumel
October 2001 - Carnival Sensation - Bahamas
honeybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
KaryCam
DIS Veteran

Sarah,
so glad you posted a picture of you and your family. Now I know who to look for at our Meet.
Looking forward to hearing your trip report story.
I know you'll enjoy the warm weather. It has been warmer than usual lately here in SW FL.

My story is different than your's - DH is still not showing any interest in going and it's 10 days out. Oh well - DS and I will have lots of fun.

See you soon!
2013 Spring Break Cruise - East Caribbean (San Juan) - Fantasy
2011 Christmas Cruise - West Caribbean - Magic
KaryCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
hiclarke
Mouseketeer

I am following and counting the days down to the cruise as well (we are on the same cruise). We are all getting very excited around here and plan on working on our FE gifts the rest of this week.

This is also our first time where Christmas is "just us". It will be a little weird, but I'm looking forward to it!

Hanne
hiclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
BackRow
Earning My Ears

We'll be on the same sailing! Hope you have a fantastic time and I'll look forward to reading the rest of your report and comparing our experience.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
jitsb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRow View Post
We'll be on the same sailing! Hope you have a fantastic time and I'll look forward to reading the rest of your report and comparing our experience.
Hi!! *waves* Gosh, so glad you stopped by; we actually have a cruise meet thread going Here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post43500151 Be sure to stop in and get the info on the cruise meet we have scheduled for embarkation day. I think our boys would love to meet each other!

Thank you, honeybubba! I'm glad you straightened that out for me...can you tell we haven't spent much time in the park??

KaryCam, we actually just checked the weather this evening and it looks to be gorgeous in Orlando when we're there! We're sailing away just before the ucky weather hits! Now if we can just get things to straighten out in Cozumel...

Ok, so picking up where I left off... Holy Smackeroonies, how did it get to be just THREE DAYS LEFT?! I'm so not ready...

Sunday December 25th: Our Christmas Day is a day at sea. The boys have their Packers shirts ready for the afternoon and Mommy found a pretty, sparkley sundress ensemble that's just perfect for the Caribbean! I'm planning on doing a whole lot of nothing that day; the exact opposite of what so many of our holidays have been for the last year. Ahhhh.....

Monday December 26th: Cozumel, Mexico. All I can say is the weather had better straighten up and play nice; we have a Dolphin Swim excursion planned and I will NOT be happy if it gets cancelled! Since no sunscreen is allowed in the dolphin aquariums, I have matching swim trunks and shirts for the boys and coverups/t-shirts for Mommy and Daddy. Since this is also supposed to be Pirate Night, we pretty much figure we'll change into what we want to wear for dinner when we get back to the ship in the afternoon.

Tuesday December 27th: Our next day at sea is also semi-formal night. These days are almost always my favorites; they're packed with so much fun stuff to do! I always go to the art of entertaining session and last cruise we actually bought art at the champagne auction...and even won an adorable print from the raffle! anybody know what movies will be showing this cruise?

Wednesday December 28th: Key West! We already got to visit this little island on our first cruise. We've done the trolley ride, the "Southern most point" picture and even went to the aquarium for the kids. We might pop off the boat for some key lime pie, but that's pretty much it this time around. We scheduled our PALO night for this day and figured the boys ought to enjoy a night carousing in the Clubs. I'm sure by this point, we will be bemoaning the end of our trip looming on the horizon.

Thursday December 29th: Castaway Cay! Another lazy day of fun in the sun! Hopefully our boys are old enough we might get to participate in some of the activities offered. And considering my oldest got quite sick the night before our last visit, it will almost be a first time trip again! I'm bringing my jar of dirt for my picture with Captain Jack, and seeing as it's our last day, we're planning to enjoy as much of it as we can!

Friday December 30th: Our plane doesn't leave until the evening, so we booked a day room at the Hyatt. On the advice of a good friend, I'm pretty much planning to re-sort our day bags and carry-ons once we reach the hotel, in order to relax more the night before.

Well, that's our trip in a nutshell. The clothes are all planned and most are in the basement staging area, ready to be packed. A few final loads of laundry, some tweaking of the accessories and we are ready! Look out Santa Mickey, here we come!

2009 WDW Swan
1989 WDW Grand Floridian

Old 12-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #11
hiclarke
Mouseketeer

What Dolphin Excursion do you have planned? We have the Dolphin Swim at Dolphinaris and like you, I am nervously eying the weather.

Hanne
hiclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
jitsb
Mouseketeer

ONE MORE DAY ONE MORE DAY ONE MORE DAY !!

I think the excitement has finally hit me! I could barely sleep last night. I guess I'm always so nervous I'm just afraid to let myself feel the excitement too far out, but I think we're actually going to make it! All except for a few articles being washed, the packing is done!

Toiletries are lining the counter, waiting to be dropped in their ziplocs tonight and stuffed in pouches. Boys are scheduled for their haircuts this afternoon, cat sitter is arranged and stockings will be pulled this afternoon and added to the suitcases.

2009 WDW Swan
1989 WDW Grand Floridian

Old 12-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
jitsb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiclarke View Post
What Dolphin Excursion do you have planned? We have the Dolphin Swim at Dolphinaris and like you, I am nervously eying the weather.
Oh my gosh! That's the same one we booked! I haven't checked the weather yet, I'm too worried. I will be absolutely devastated if this gets cancelled, again!! My husband shrugged and told me this morning he wasn't concerned about it; either it would happen or it wouldn't and, boy, you should have seen the daggers I shot him!! I'm sure I'll find a way around it if the weather interferes, but I'm justused to having things go well on my Disney cruises, and I'd love for that trend to continue!

2009 WDW Swan
1989 WDW Grand Floridian

Old 12-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #14
KaryCam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitsb View Post
Toiletries are lining the counter, waiting to be dropped in their ziplocs tonight and stuffed in pouches. Boys are scheduled for their haircuts this afternoon, cat sitter is arranged and stockings will be pulled this afternoon and added to the suitcases.
That's funny, my DS had his hair cut yesterday and DH was last week. We have to make sure everyone looks good.

Safe travels tomorrow. See you on Saturday.
2013 Spring Break Cruise - East Caribbean (San Juan) - Fantasy
2011 Christmas Cruise - West Caribbean - Magic
KaryCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

I'm so jealous! Have a fantastic trip!

Jill in CO

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: