Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #451
txcolleen
Earning My Ears

Talking tipping but not all dining

the family is a week away...arriving and taking the ME.(do we tip) since they are picking our luggage up and it will be sent to our room and we will more then likely not be there do we tip for Luggage Delivery.

We have DDP...we have Akershaus is tip includ thought i read that it was but I could of gotten it messed up with CRT.

We are doing Buffets so what would you think a fair tip would be since we get the food.

All the trip is planned but the tipping is now freaking me out. There are just 4 2 adults 2 kids...and we are new to WDW, but have done DL several times.
txcolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #452
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcolleen View Post
the family is a week away...arriving and taking the ME.(do we tip) since they are picking our luggage up and it will be sent to our room and we will more then likely not be there do we tip for Luggage Delivery.

We have DDP...we have Akershaus is tip includ thought i read that it was but I could of gotten it messed up with CRT.

We are doing Buffets so what would you think a fair tip would be since we get the food.

All the trip is planned but the tipping is now freaking me out. There are just 4 2 adults 2 kids...and we are new to WDW, but have done DL several times.
It will be fine! No need to worry about tipping. Truly

As far as your question of "how much do I tip" That's up to you. Personal tipping habits aren't up for discussion/debate on the restaurant board. The first post of this thread will give you more info as to why and has a tipping FAQ.

Tipping for luggage delivery, you will be there so you can tip. Unless something has changed, Disney requires that you be in the room to receive your luggage from Bell Services.
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #453
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia1972 View Post
Tipping for luggage delivery, you will be there so you can tip. Unless something has changed, Disney requires that you be in the room to receive your luggage from Bell Services.
This is not correct. Since DME is delivering the luggage, the tip is already paid for by Disney and you are not required to be in the room when the luggage is delivered. That's the "magical" part of Magical Express.

Last edited by Alesia; 10-01-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #454
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia View Post
This is not correct. Since DME is delivering the luggage, the tip is already paid for by Disney and you are not required to be in the room when the luggage is delivered. That's the "magical" part of Magical Express.
I took it to be from ME too.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #455
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

I only used DME once (years ago) and I had to be in the room when the luggage came up from Bell Services for the delivery. If you don't need to be there (and I think I allowed for things changing in my answer ) then you wouldn't/couldn't tip.
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #456
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia1972 View Post
I only used DME once (years ago) and I had to be in the room when the luggage came up from Bell Services for the delivery. If you don't need to be there (and I think I allowed for things changing in my answer ) then you wouldn't/couldn't tip.
I don't know if it is bell services that deliver from ME, but you don't have to be there for that.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #457
siczlo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siczlo View Post
Question?

Are you supposed to tip for other things like pairsailing, bass fishing excursion, waterboarding?

We are doing the premium for one night and I was wondering if I'm supposed to tip for these recreational activites.
Anyone?....Bueller?

Me, DH, ds18, ds15, ds7

siczlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #458
janabananas
DIS Veteran

I did a search for this question, but I couldn't really find an answer, so here goes:

I have TIW and *might* use DDP (if it is worth it, will be doing calculations), and am curious if TIW auto grat covers the whole meal or just what ever TIW covers. I have used TIW before, but not in conjuction with the DDP.

For example, I will be going to AP and plan on getting a nice bottle of wine with dinner. Does the auto grat only apply to what I used the TIW discount for, or does it auto grat the entire meal? Will there only be 18% grat on the wine?

It would actually make it easier if the 18% was added to the whole meal, so I don't have to use my brain, after said bottle(s) of wine.

TIA for the info!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #459
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Akershus is not tip included.

You do not have to be in the room when your luggage is delivered if you used the DME service.

As for the TIW 18%, you will get a separate bill for the wine as it is not covered by DDP. Your DDP bill will NOT have tip included unless you are a party of 6 or more. If you are less than 6 there will be calculations of "suggested" tip amounts on the bill (of 18% and 20% I believe)
Old 10-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #460
janabananas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
As for the TIW 18%, you will get a separate bill for the wine as it is not covered by DDP. Your DDP bill will NOT have tip included unless you are a party of 6 or more. If you are less than 6 there will be calculations of "suggested" tip amounts on the bill (of 18% and 20% I believe)
Great, just want I needed to know! Thanks for your response.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #461
ICECUBEQUEEN
Mouseketeer

Just having a quick read through this thread, have only just realised about the whole tipping thing!

We are a party of 8, but in seperate groups e.g myself, hubby & kids (group1), mother & father (group2) sis in law & partner (group3). We are gonna get ADRs together on DDP, but can we have seperate bills at the table? Just to keep track of our own tips and charges.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #462
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICECUBEQUEEN View Post
Just having a quick read through this thread, have only just realised about the whole tipping thing!

We are a party of 8, but in seperate groups e.g myself, hubby & kids (group1), mother & father (group2) sis in law & partner (group3). We are gonna get ADRs together on DDP, but can we have seperate bills at the table? Just to keep track of our own tips and charges.
Yes, just tell server when ordering who is on what bill & you will get 2 separate bills. Since you are a party of 8 the gratuity will still be 18% even if each group is smaller. We were two parties of three each last trip on 2 different plans & got separate bills.

Book Challenge Goal 65/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #463
jennyr49
Earning My Ears

Not taking the dining plan but will be eating in Disney. Have not been to US before so what do we do about tipping?
jennyr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #464
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Read the first post in this thread, especially item 5. That section provides a brief but excellent explanation of tipping.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #465
ThisIsJason
DIS Veteran

Hopefully someone can explain this to me.

How does using a gift card work for paying a tip when on a Dining Plan? Do I give them my room key and the gift card and they bring said receipts for me to sign? Or do I need to tell the server how much I want to tip?

(My mom let it slip that she bought myself & my wife two $100 Disney Gift cards for Christmas, figured we'd use them for tips).
AKV DVC Owner
ThisIsJason is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: