Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #16
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

I agree, we have found the 3rd week of January to the end of January to be the lightest crowds. We go 4 trips a year: After MLK weekend, late April to mid-May, and the last 2 weeks of October and sometimes late August. Of all of them, January is consistently light crowds. May and October are generally both similar crowds, generally moderate to heavy on the weekends. August, we find the crowd level higher than our other times and too hot. We have officially removed August from our list of visits. We will now go 3 weeks in May. We will be in WDW in January too. Last year we went 2 1/2 weeks, but cut it back to 10 days. While the crowds were light, it was too cold to be there that long. We like our longer trips to be when it's warmer and we can get more pool time.
Oct. 18-Nov 1 @ BWV

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #17
CTDisneyfan816
DIS Veteran

I choose the first or second week of December to go each year. While it isn't dead, the lines are much more manageable than other times of the year. Also with Thanksgiving and Christmas/NY that close, they won't close many rides this time of year for refurbishment as they will after the New Year.
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #18
NikitaZee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4butlers View Post
Apparently what I was smoking was much better than what you were smoking - or we were just at the right park on the right day. We had very short wait times and many times just walked on rides.
We were there Nov 12-20, and found it just like you said. Most days we had very short waits, Nov 13th at MK we walked right onto everything. Same at AK on the 15th, and Epcot on the 17th. We rode most rides more than once. The last two days we were there were considerably more crowded, with the Thanksgiving folks starting to arrive.
NikitaZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #19
kohlby
DIS Veteran

End of Jan was super, super quiet when we went. The only issue is that there's often some rides doing refurb. It wasn't a big deal to us since no rides were closed that we wanted to do. (Splash Mountain was closed that Jan, but my kids hate getting splashed). We returned a week ago from a trip and though it was more crowded than the end of Jan, crowds were extremely managable. We never waited more than 10 minutes for anything. Some of that was being smart with fastpasses but even so, we didn't use that many fastpasses. The issue my family has with Sept is the heat. We would not be able to handle it. I live in the southeast but being out all day in Sept heat is too much for us. One day was 85 and very humid on our most recent trip and it made us realize how much energy the heat can zap from you - and made me realize that I'll never consider Oct now. (I knew not to consider Sept. Sept is still summer here in the southeast).

*We were in the parks from Nov 12-19th. We made rope drop everyday. The only crowded time was when my husband went back out at night to DHS when there was EMH. Otherwise, simply being their at rope drop and picking the more ideal parks worked well. (Though twice we had Epcot on non-recommended days and it was still very, very managable).
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #20
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarToursfan View Post
What about the middle of feb.?
Family n I are thinking about going then...any thoughts?
Middle-End of February starts President's Week/Winter Recess/Spring Break season. It would be iffy to find low crowds from then until May-ish, IMO.

Statistically, lowest crowds are in January and September. Many people this year who went in September said crowds seemed higher than normal. We went last week of September and thought crowds were moderate however wait times were very short - 20 mins or less on most things except the usuals like TSM and Soarin. Our week did coincide with MK's 40th anniversary and the start of F&W so crowd levels grew as the week ended. The problem with September is it was extremely hot. It really made us exhausted and we never felt like eating, which was a problem because we were on DxDP. The problem with January is that park hours are short, lots of things under refurb, and it can be cold to the point where you need a winter jacket.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #21
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

The problem is that the Disney marketing folks are one step ahead of all of us. Weeks that were previously slow now have free dining offers to draw in more people. So while a certain week might have been slow last year or the year before, it might not be this year.

My personal feeling is that while the economy has not diminished overall Disney attendance, more folks who used to pay peak prices are shopping for bargains and moving to the slower discount times.

Just don't expect dead times in the parks any more. The folks in the Disney marketing department are working hard to make them a thing of the past. As they should, from a business standpoint. But man, I'd sure love to experience dead attendance levels just ONCE!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #22
CTDisneyfan816
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
The problem is that the Disney marketing folks are one step ahead of all of us. Weeks that were previously slow now have free dining offers to draw in more people. So while a certain week might have been slow last year or the year before, it might not be this year.

My personal feeling is that while the economy has not diminished overall Disney attendance, more folks who used to pay peak prices are shopping for bargains and moving to the slower discount times.

Just don't expect dead times in the parks any more. The folks in the Disney marketing department are working hard to make them a thing of the past. As they should, from a business standpoint. But man, I'd sure love to experience dead attendance levels just ONCE!
I don't think Disney is ever "dead" in terms of crowds. But there are still times where it won't be as insane. You wouldn't catch me anywhere near Disney during a spring break or over the holidays. I do understand many don't have the flexibility I do.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #23
PixieDustFanatic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4butlers View Post
Apparently what I was smoking was much better than what you were smoking - or we were just at the right park on the right day. We had very short wait times and many times just walked on rides.
It could have been much worse I suppose, but given what people have said about that week over previous years, I was expecting it to be much quieter...it's all about expectations I guess. That said, it certainly wouldn't be a time I'd recommend as one of the slowest.

Oct. 9-15, 2010-Swan; Nov. 11-19, 2011-GF Sugar Loaf; Feb. 4-11, 2012-POR; Sep. 20-Oct. 1, 2012-Wyndam Bonnet Creek
PixieDustFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crowds

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: