Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Post News: Disney on Parade (Macy's Thanksgiving Balloons)

Quote:
11.22.11 – In honor of Thanksgiving, D23 takes a look back at Disney’s participation in a beloved national tradition—the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

“In the spirit of full disclosure,” Bill Schermerhorn, Macy’s Creative Director, starts, “I should tell you that I am a card-carrying member of D23.” So begins our discussion with Bill, who for the past 29 years, has been responsible for bringing the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade to the streets of New York each Thanksgiving. “It’s the job you get once in a lifetime,” he says with a chuckle.

More than 80 years after Macy’s first parade—originally called the Macy’s Christmas Parade and later the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Christmas Parade—the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is known as the “official” kickoff to the holiday season. And with more than 50 million viewers across the country and the more than 3.5 million spectators who line up along the streets of New York City each year, the three-hour spectacle is nothing short of a national icon.

According to Bill, his Official Disney Fan Club membership makes perfect sense, as Disney and Macy’s can be considered somewhat of a match made in heaven. “Both Macy’s and Disney believe in high-quality family entertainment,” explains Bill. “It’s a dream come true that we can work together.”

Disney got in on the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Christmas Parade action 10 years after the first one hit the streets. “It all started with the Mickey Mouse balloon,” Bill muses about Disney’s entry. “We’ve had a great relationship ever since. The magic between Disney and the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade has spanned the ages.” Pluto, the Big Bad Wolf, and the Little Pig balloons also debuted that same year.

Click here for the rest of this article.
I really found it interesting that Schermerhorn commented on his D23 membership. Not to spark a debate here, but I found this a bit odd being that the article's focus was on the Disney balloons in the parade. What do you think?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post

I really found it interesting that Schermerhorn commented on his D23 membership. Not to spark a debate here, but I found this a bit odd being that the article's focus was on the Disney balloons in the parade. What do you think?
The article was done by a D23 reporter and posted on the D23 website. That could explain it.
ImTooExcitedToSleep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep View Post
The article was done by a D23 reporter and posted on the D23 website. That could explain it.
While I understand that, I interpreted the comment with more meaning behind it. It was almost as if they were selling/defending a D23 membership in an article that truly has nothing to do with it. I've seen other D23 articles with no mention of a membership at all.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
connie1042
DIS Veteran

Since Universal has the Macy balloons parade at their park during the holiday season, do you think they will bring Mickey!!! I did carry one of those balloons at Universal one year. It really was an experience, and fun.
connie1042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
Frontier Girl
Basically Magical

I'm listening to this pouring rain outside my window and hoping that it clears up by tomorrow night! I want to go and see the balloons being blown up. If I see Mickey I'll post a pic

Oh by the way I think the D23 comment was just included because the reporter thought it was cute. I've done that with interviews before.
Frontier Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. I'll be watching tomorrow, as always!!!

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macy's, thanksgiving

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: