Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Planning for or avoiding Fantasyland expansion opening

Is anyone planning to attend or planning to avoid the opening of the Fantasyland expansion? I guess the opening dates are still staggered and there aren't firm opening dates posted yet (as far as I know). Last I read, the final opening of the entire expanded area will be fall 2013 (?).

I'm curious if people think MK will be totally crazy for the first few months after this opens? I've been going to WDW since I was a little kid, but I've never been shortly after a new park opening, and I figure the expansion is probably pretty close to a new park opening.

Does anyone think January/February 2014 will still be crazy crowded? Since this is traditionally the "low" season, I'd assume this would be a good time to see the expansion?

This is all pretty speculative, but I'm curious what others think, especially people who visit around the time that DHS (MGM) and AK opened.
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
kaligal
DIS Veteran

I think it'll be the thing to see in the MK for a while. How many people run for it instead of Space Mtn will depend on the rides - though "new" always = popular.

I don't think it will come close to the Harry Potter thing, though. Just isn't as popular and doesn't have the interest that HP did.

Wild horses couldn't have dragged me in to see the HP opening, but the new Fantasyland is something I'd consider if I happened to be in Orlando.

By 2014, I think it'll be fine.

Just MHO, of course.

eta: The waits for Kilimanjaro Safaris were loooong. They were still around 2-3 hours in the afternoons even 6 months later. There wasn't that much going on in AK then...some argue that there isn't now. I wasn't around for the opening of MGM.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
cbsnyber1
Baxter the zzzzzzz Corgi Wonderdog

I believe the fact that it is opening in stages and the attractions won't all be in place until sometime in 2013 will reduce the nuttiness (i.e., HP opening). One of the blogs lays out what is opening when.

HP was complete from day one which made its opening an event. I think Disney is smart by phasing this in, if for no other reason than to avoid an HP type opening crowd control problem. There will be crowds, no doubt - everyone is attracted to the new and different.

The last attraction scheduled to open is the 7 Dwarfs (Dwarves?) mine car ride, "sometime in 2013". Assuming it does open as promised, early 2014 should be a good time to check out everything.

"The problem is not that some set the bar too high and miss it, it's that some set the bar too low and hit it"

cbsnyber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I don't think it'll be all that crazy. This isn't a crowd-magnet to attract a massive, new audience like Harry Potter did for Universal; it is an expansion on existing themes and characters in a park with plenty of other attractions (unlike something like TSM or the safari where there is little "competition" from other rides).

I'm sure there will be a bump in crowds initially as people adjust their travel dates to be there after the opening, but I don't think it will be sustained because it isn't all new people going to Disney just to see the attraction - it is people who would have traveled in '12 putting the trip off to see it, and locals who don't frequent the parks checking it out for the "new" factor. By early 2014 I believe the increase in capacity in the MK will end up making the park feel less crowded, as the initial crowd boost dies down leaving a larger park to absorb the low-season attendance.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
CurlyJo224
DIS Veteran

We're planning a trip for Fall of 2012, but not avoiding or planning for anything to do with Fantasyland. It's just the same date we usually go.

** Summer 1985 - First trip with family. Off property ** Summer 1991 - Trip with Dad. Off property ** Spring 1998 - Trip with Mom. Off property ** Halloween 2006 - Honeymoon. All-Star Movies ** Halloween 2007 - 1st Anniversary. All-Star Music ** Halloween 2008 - 2nd Anniversary. All-Star Sports ** Halloween 2009 - 3rd Anniversary. Pop Century ** Halloween 2010 - 4th Anniversary. Pop Century **Halloween 2012 - 6th Anniversary. Pop Century**July 2013 - Florida Residents!
CurlyJo224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
tigertink88
Earning My Ears

We are going Sept. 2012, but it has nothing to do with the opening of anything. I'm kinda hoping nothing is really opened. I must agree that it will be nice to see all of it without the massive amounts of people. Early 2014 sounds like a good time to me! Probably will try to convince my husband of that as well.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
DisneyDetective
DIS Veteran

i think i'd rather skip the opening. It's a bit like Harry Potter Island at Islands Of Adventure, it was really busy (possibly too) for a good while after opening.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Stay tuned.

Last edited by Robo; 11-22-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crowds, fantasyland expansion

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: