Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
wbh1964
Mouseketeer

Lindsay's Make A Wish becomes an answer to her prayer!

Hi everyone~
Let me introduce you to our family...
First is my dh (Frank), myself (Wendy), our ds (Dalton who is 20) and our wonderful dd (Lindsay who is 15 and our Make a Wish child). Lindsay has a connective tissue disorder (originally diagnosed as Vascular Type 4 Ehlers Danlos) yet she has many more symptoms and issues than most Ehlers patients experience. In the past 3 years her declining health has led to her using a wheelchair for most outings that require walking like shopping and she uses a walking cane around the house. She is in constant pain and is on high doses of pain meds daily. There is no cure and all we can do is treat the symptoms. I homeschool as her stamina level does not allow her to participate in public school. It is now starting to affect her speech and her process thinking. This has been a VERY difficult journey for a 15 year old to travel as you can imagine. Especially when I tell you that just 3 years ago she lived a very normal life and was even cheerleading for a Christian organization here in town. It has been a very difficult and eye opening 3 years!
Now, having told you a little of her medical situation, let me describe our lives right now...my dh was laid off 2 years ago after 30+ years of service in the same industry...the economy here is HORRIBLE and it took him 2 years of constanct searching to finally find a job which he started 3 weeks ago. We have been very blessed thru the years and have always been huge Disney fans. We stated taking our kids to Disney when Lindsay was 2 and have gone every other year since that time until the past few years. Our last trip was in 2008 when we celebrated our son's high school graduation and had an amazing trip of a lifetime. With each trip, Lindsay has ALWAYS wanted to do a behind the scenes tour but found that you have to be 16 to do these tours. For YEARS we have promised her that we would celebrate at Disney for her 16th birthday and take her on the tour...that was until the layoff and our finances were no more! We are barely getting by even with the new job because of the huge paycut he had to take plus we have lots of medical bills becuase we exhausted our cobra medical insurance and were unable to obtain private medical insurance. So now you are up to speed...
A very good friend of mine felt that Lindsay needed something special in her life as so much has been taken from her with this illness. She researched MAW foundation but was unable to refer Linds as you have to be a parent or medical provide. She asked me to refer her and to be honest, I wasn't sure if Lindsay would qualify and I HATED to get her excited about something that might never happen. Well, it IS happening. We recieved the letter late April that Lindsay would be granted a wish and we meet with the wish coordinator tomorrow night! OF course Lindsay is wishing for a Disney trip. The only week my husband can go will be the week his plant shuts down for the Christmas holidays so we are keeping our fingers crossed that MAW can work in that time schedule. Lindsay says this is God's way of answering her prayer...she has prayed for a way to go to Disney this year to celebrate. It is a huge year for us as My dh and I will be married 25 years this June, Linds turns 16 in August, our ds turns 21 in Sept and my dh turns 50 in Nov. I think this is an answer to prayer for all of us and I LOVE seeing Lindsay get excited about something for a change. I will keep everyone posted and we meet with her wish granter tomorrow and the plans start to come together. Thanks so much for taking the time to read about our family! We love the disboards!!!

Matthew 6:33 "and He will give you all you need from day to day if you live for Him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern."

Last edited by wbh1964; 05-24-2011 at 08:02 PM.
wbh1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
nu2dvc
Mouseketeer

What an awesome story to share with us!

The thread caught my eye b/c my daughter is a "wish child" as well (she is battling leukemia) and we are currently waiting to find out if her wish will be approved. She wants to go to Hawaii and get a surfing lesson from Bethany Hamilton.

Anyway, we are stuck here in the hospital tonight and my daughter is resting. I always look to the DIS to take me away from all this medical crap that our lives are filled with.... leukemia treatment only lasts a few years, and I can't imagine what it would be like to face a lifetime of medical crisis with a child. It is heartbreaking that kids must endure such challenges.

I hope that MAW is able to grant your daughter's wish and give you the week that your husband can get off work. I can't wait to read about the tour she will hopefully be taking!

Sending lots of love and pixie dust from the ER here at Cohen's Children's Hospital in NY.....
nu2dvc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Disneybuckeye
DIS Veteran

Prayers that all our your wishes come to fruition. It is stories like these that really hit home how lucky I am and how quickly circumstances can change. I hope to read your PTR and TRs soon!

Enjoyed a great March 2011 trip staying at the Boardwalk.
Enjoyed a great December 2011 trip to our home resort VWL with a short visit to see Harry Potter.
Enjoyed a great October 2012 trip at BLT.
Enjoyed a last minute surprise trip to Disneyland February 2013.
Enjoyed a great October 2013 trip to Saratoga Springs with our daughter and her college friends
Disneybuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
wbh1964
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone!
We met with Lindsay's Wish granters tonight and they seemed very positive. Lindsay explained that she wished for a Disney trip but would rather stay on Disney property instead of GKTW...they didn't seem to see a problem with that and said we should expect to hear back from them in 3-4 weeks...so... now we have to wait. Will post updates as soon as we hear back from them!

This is Lindsay reading off her "wish" notes to the wish granters! If you look close you can see her MAW journal that we made for her to make notes in...
Matthew 6:33 "and He will give you all you need from day to day if you live for Him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern."

Last edited by wbh1964; 05-23-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Hi - any updates???

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
wbh1964
Mouseketeer

Well, it's been a long time since I created this and our wish trip experience began. We have been told that Lindsay's wish has been approved and she will get to stay at Grand Floridian (her heart's desire but we don't have any additional details yet so we are "hoping" that more info will come along because we are planning to set out on this adventure in less than 5 weeks!!!! Can you tell that we are just a "little" excited!!! Linds has been looking forward to this for so many months and now is in so much more pain. From falling and passing out, she has inflamed bursitis in her hip and that is just making her pain worse but she keeps smiling My hubby has been working for his wonderful new company for almost 7 months now and we feel so BLESSED!!! Our son is a senior at a NC State University and is looking as forward to joining us on Lindsay's wish trip as we are. He is a wonderful big brother and loves his sister with all his heart...and is VERY protective of her! Linds celebrated her 16th birthday in August...we threw her a BIG surprise party and announce to her that her Make A Wish trip would be coming true...It was a wonderful day for her. Now we are just waiting to hear from MAKE A WISH for details and we will be ready to roll!!! Thanks everyone for caring...We love our dis board friends!

Old 11-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Owensheart
Mouseketeer

I just read your story and I am in tears. Happy tears that Lindsay is getting her wish! We are going to be at the world for Owen's MAW trip on Dec 4-14th. Our prayers are with your family!!

Owen's PTR!!

TRIP REPORT!!!
Owensheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
wbh1964
Mouseketeer

Thought I would share some photos of Linds' 16th surprise birthday party. We had about 125 people (mostly our church family) and we announced that her MAW trip had been approved. Of course we decorated in her fav colors (pink and green) and her fav everything...Disney!

This is our Family Life Center all decorated for Lindsay~

The Birthday Girl

Me and my beautiful Lindsay...my best friend!

Our Family (Me, Lindsay, my hubby who is also Linds' wonderful dad and our son who is the MOST AWESOME brother per Linds)

Old 11-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

HI!!! I'm joining in!! I'll have to come back a little later and catch up but I can't wait to read your PTR!! I'm so excited for you guys!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
VBAndrea
DIS Veteran

Wendy sent me over to say "hi" ~ I'm so excited for Lindsay, particularly that you are getting the wish to stay at the Grand Floridian! I love the birthday photos too! I also heard you were driving down -- what state are you from? I hope it will be an easy drive for you all.

DH DS 11 DD 9

VBAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

O.k. I caught up!! I'm excited that she gets to stay at GF. What a gorgeous resort!!! I do hope that she gets to do her tour!

Thanks for sharing your PTR with us!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
wbh1964
Mouseketeer

thanks guys for so much caring and happy thoughts!
We live in North Carolina and it is about 12 hours from door to door. We stop alot to allow Linds to move a little so the ride is actually easier than if we tried to fly...plus we have never flown with all this medical transport equipment...we have always loved the drive and enjoy spending time together in the car. Since our son has been away at college...we love car time together because it is good quality time!...and we have so much fun together!
Just a quick thought that hit my mind when I was typing about the medical transport equipment...Lindsay used her first wheelchair ever during our last Disney trip in 2008. The docs told us they didn't think she would make it thru the week without needing one but she was stubborn and we had no idea how accurate they were. It was right after that trip that Linds' health REALLY took a turn...and her days are so different now. We are looking so forward to taking her back to Disney with a trip that will keep a smile on her face Thanks for following our adventure!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
wbh1964
Mouseketeer

Time is getting closer for Owen's trip!!! I know you guys are so excited!! I wish you lots of wonderful memories and safe travels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owensheart View Post
I just read your story and I am in tears. Happy tears that Lindsay is getting her wish! We are going to be at the world for Owen's MAW trip on Dec 4-14th. Our prayers are with your family!!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
cogero
DIS Veteran

WE love the Grand Floridian. It is one of our favorite resorts.

We will actually be at Disney at the same time but are staying at Bay Lake tower

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
Glennie5
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to following your PTR. So happy for Lindsay that she will get to stay in her dream resort!
2015 Jan.(Port Orleans Riverside), 2013 May(Port Orleans Riverside),2011 Dec.(All Star Movies), 2011 Aug.(Port Orleans Riverside), 2011 May(Port Orleans Riverside), 2010 May(Port Orleans Riverside), 2009 Feb.(All Star Sports)&(Port Orleans Riverside), 2008 Sept.(Port Orleans Riverside)&(Caribbean Beach), 2008 Jan.(Port Orleans Riverside), 2007 May(Port Orleans Riverside) 2007 March(Port Orleans Riverside), 2006 Oct.(Off Site) 2006 March(Fort Wilderness Cabins), 2005 May(Off Site), 2003 Feb.(Off Site),
Glennie5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: