Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
fromscratchmom
Mouseketeer

Disney in Your Every day Life

I just read an article in my email from Passporter and thought that it was just the perfect thing for Dissers. It is probably not appropriate to repost the whole thing for folks who aren't subscribed, so without really meaning to advertise for new subscriptions for them (you can read their articles online too), here is an excerpt:

Feature Article: Disney Every Day: Bringing the Magic of the Disney Parks Into Every Day Life
Heather Macdonald, PassPorter Guest Contributor

I know that all of our readers love Disney and would love to surround themselves with Mickey 24/7, but that it isn’t always possible.

I know that work, family, and friends sometimes get in the way of surrounding yourself with the Mouse all the time. It occurred to me the other day that I’ve found subtle ways of bringing The World into my world, that are even okay in the workplace. I thought I’d introduce those ideas by walking you through a typical day in my life.

I wake up to the sounds of The Mickey Mouse Club March coming from my cell phone/alarm clock and throw back my Grand Floridian Alice in Wonderland comforter, which I procured from www.ebay.com. I stretch and sing a little, just like the Sleeping Beauty and Snow White lithographs on my walls. It’s not until I hit the bathroom that some of more subtle Disney-fied items come into play. I hop in the shower and wash and condition my hair with H2O+’s Aquatica Natural Spring Fragrance...

http://www.passporter.com/articles/d...every-day.html

So what I'd like to know is what ALL you Dissers do to bring the magic into your own home and your everyday life! Please post for me at least a few things or a walk through your day if you are up for it!

Last edited by fromscratchmom; 11-18-2011 at 09:32 AM.
fromscratchmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
fromscratchmom
Mouseketeer

I've been wild to go back to Disney lately so I've been on the Dis a lot and have been running trip planning scenarios through my mind. I've also been watching Disney movies through Netflix more than usual.

I have a little Disney magic in my Christmas with the ornaments we bought on our December 2006 trip.

I also brought home mugs from our Disney trip from the Liberty Tree Tavern and everyone in our home loves to use them. They are heavy glass mugs but for all their heft and seeming sturdiness, my family actually managed to break a few over the years so that I am down to one! Seems to me, that is a sign I need to go back and get more.
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

We do the mugs too. We have mugs with photopass pictures and some we got from the Grand Floridian just this past Sept. Use them everyday. When I'm at work, I use a pen from a Disney resort. Reminds me of why I'm putting up with all that stress: so we can go to our Magical, happy place! I have lots of Disney collectibles in my curio cabinet from WDW & DL. We have lots of Christmas ornaments & collectibles, too.

And I make spending time here on the Disboards part of my daily life, too!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
dngnb8
Disneyphile

Funny you post this. A part time employee who is trying to go full time came to my office for resume advice and was dumbfounded at my decor. She stopped and said

Woooooww!!!!!! OMG, you really like Disney!

I am a collector of what I call, Futzy Stuff. It is the little knick knacky type stuff that collects dust, but I am surrounded by it. I have numerous calenders, antenna ball heads etc throughout my office.

SAMPLES

My office name plate

This is about half my stuff.
dngnb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Let's see... I'm sitting at my desk at work, and there are 3 different framed family photos on my desk that were taken at various WDW locations; I have Disney Cruise Line's Castaway Club CD music playing on my iPod; I'm using a Disney World Resort pen; I'm wearing the sweatshirt (zip-up type) that I bought last year at WDW that is embroidered on the front and back with Mickey Mouse; I have a sticky pad here that I bought at WDW last year that has Sorceror Mickey on it; my keys are on my desk and I can see my house key that has Minnie Mouse on it (bought at Lowe's); taped to the side of my monitor I have printed out the itinerary of our Disney Cruise for next May; I have a letter opener and I had popped out the business card that was originally in it and replaced it with a family photo taken on Main Street USA back in 2001; and I have a small tin on the bookcase in my office that has Mickey Mouse "through the years" embossed on it.

Wow...and that's just what I see sitting here at my desk. LOL

At home, I contain my WDW/Mickey Mouse items to the family room, but I do have some nice family portraits that were taken on our Disney cruises in the living room on the fireplace mantle and on the hutch.

I have many ceramic WDW/Mickey Mouse/Disney Cruise coffee mugs that are used regularly; we have Mickey and Minnie pillow cases for the extra pillows that we use, but nobody else sees them except DH and I because they get put away in the morning when I make the bed. (The bedroom does not have a Disney theme to it at all).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head...but that's already quite a bit really...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
dngnb8
Disneyphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpray View Post
Let's see... I'm sitting at my desk at work, and there are 3 different framed family photos on my desk that were taken at various WDW locations; I have Disney Cruise Line's Castaway Club CD music playing on my iPod; I'm using a Disney World Resort pen; I'm wearing the sweatshirt (zip-up type) that I bought last year at WDW that is embroidered on the front and back with Mickey Mouse; I have a sticky pad here that I bought at WDW last year that has Sorceror Mickey on it; my keys are on my desk and I can see my house key that has Minnie Mouse on it (bought at Lowe's); taped to the side of my monitor I have printed out the itinerary of our Disney Cruise for next May; I have a letter opener and I had popped out the business card that was originally in it and replaced it with a family photo taken on Main Street USA back in 2001; and I have a small tin on the bookcase in my office that has Mickey Mouse "through the years" embossed on it.

Wow...and that's just what I see sitting here at my desk. LOL

At home, I contain my WDW/Mickey Mouse items to the family room, but I do have some nice family portraits in the living room on the fireplace mantle and on the hutch.

I have many ceramic WDW/Mickey Mouse/Disney Cruise coffee mugs that are used regularly; we have Mickey and Minnie pillow cases for the extra pillows that we use, but nobody else sees them except DH and I because they get put away in the morning when I make the bed. (The bedroom does not have a Disney theme to it at all).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head...but that's already quite a bit really...

Youre a Futzy Collector TOO!

*Stands Up*

Hello, My name is dngnb8

Im a Disney Futzy Collector......
Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

My DH is a cast member and I still think it's cute to see him in his name tag and lanyard before he leaves for work in the morning! We have Disney all over the place - my kids have tons of Disney shirts and plushies, we usually watch a Disney movie every day, I have the blue and white Chef Mickey accessories in my kitchen, the Mickey glove spoon holder on my stove, we have one of our family portraits in a Disney frame, the lamp in my guest room is from the Beach Club Resort, and also in that room is a print of the beach at Yacht/Beach Club, and I have the Disney Dream as the wallpaper on my phone. I just put up our Christmas stockings yesterday - DH has the plaid Mickey on a sled stocking (looks very Fort Wilderness), I have the purple "bohemian" with Mickey crystals, DD has the princess stocking, and DS has Winnie the Pooh.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dngnb8 View Post
Youre a Futzy Collector TOO!

*Stands Up*

Hello, My name is dngnb8

Im a Disney Futzy Collector......
Nice to meet you, dngnb8, I'm SeaSpray and I'm a Disney Futzy collector too.

Let the meeting begin!

I didn't even mention my desk at home in the family room... or all of the items on the shelf around the family room... I think I have some pictures on my web site that show a small portion of my collection... let's see....

Ok, all of these are in my family room:

The gold medal that I won on our first Disney cruise for being on the winning team in the Quiet Cove Adult Pool Olympics.

John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
fromscratchmom
Mouseketeer

Oh, y'all are all just awesome!

And I LOVE the pics!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
dngnb8
Disneyphile

Going to DLR after Christmas. My wife just groans knowing I will have lots of new futzy stuff!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

At work, I just have a small Mickey head calendar, and a castle photo of me and DH----but I'm on the Dis the whole time .

At home I have H20 products, Mickey Salt/Pepper Grinders, Lady/Tramp Salt/Pepper Shakers, Mickey Pot Holders, Mickey Bowls, my collection of Tinkerbell Mugs, Tea from Mickey's Pantry, Alice and Wonderland Tea, and several little photo frames and knick knacks around the condo
Old 11-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

I have a Disney office that I love . . . and a cool tag about it, too.

Here are a couple of pictures:

My dream is to have pictures of every Disney castle in my office some day from visits to each. I've got the U.S. covered so far!

I wear Mickey Mouse earrings every day, even to court. No one has made a smart remark about a Mickey Mouse lawyer yet -- to my face at least!

I listen to Disney music on my computer at work and, of course, spend way too much time on the Disboards!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!
My threads are dead before they're even posted!
Gained 10 lbs just reading a thread on the DIS

Hmmm.... I'm looking around my desk at work, and the only thing Disney I have is my Winnie the Pooh mug, and my Cars Kleenex box. Must fix that.

I carry a Mickey Mouse purse -- my brother bought a Dooney & Bourke for me for my birthday! LOVE IT!!

I have a Hidden Mickey decal on my car, a Mickey Mouse watch that I wear every day, Disney character mugs, a MM tooth brush holder (I wanted to do the whole bathroom... this was as far as DH was willing to go. Putz. )
ElizK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
dngnb8
Disneyphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
I have a Disney office that I love . . . and a cool tag about it, too.

Here are a couple of pictures:

My dream is to have pictures of every Disney castle in my office some day from visits to each. I've got the U.S. covered so far!

I wear Mickey Mouse earrings every day, even to court. No one has made a smart remark about a Mickey Mouse lawyer yet -- to my face at least!

I listen to Disney music on my computer at work and, of course, spend way too much time on the Disboards!

I especially love your lights. Im impressed
Old 11-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #15
SleepyMom
DIS Veteran

Every morning for breakfast I have toast with a Mickey head imprint on them and drink from a resort mug.

My DH surprised me last year by getting me personalized plates for my car that are very Disney inspired, I also have a Mickey sticker in the window.

My favorite way to get my daily Disney fix though is to go down to my Disney room in the basement. It is all Disney and I love every inch of it (except when I have to dust it )

The paint is Mickey yellow on top and Mickey red on the bottom with a Mickey wallpaper border in the middle. All the furniture is black. It is without a doubt my favorite room in the house!

NEXT UP... Moving youngest DD to WDW for her DCP, August 2014!!! January 2014 - 15 people seeing the World! Jan 2013 ~ Birthday trip for DD Oct 2011 ~ Mother/youngest DD, DSisIL & DNiece Jan 2011 ~ Mother/oldest DD trip May 2010 ~ Surprise Trip!!!
February 2009 ~ Girls Trip ~ SIL, DNiece, 2DD's and me! 10/07 Our family of 4 and Brothers family of 5 6/05 Family trip - DL & DCA
11/04 Mother/youngest Daughter trip - WDW 9/02 Family trip - US/IOA, SW & DC, WDW 12/99 Family trip - WDW & SW
7/91 First Family trip - DL
SleepyMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: