Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #766
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar View Post
We are currently at DW enjoying the F&W festival. I don't see this posted, though I didn't check back that many posts. We spoke to Chef TJ today, and he will be taking the next 5 days off--won't be back working at GF until next Monday. We had a ressie for 1900 PF for Thursday, but it was all about seeing him there, so we have cancelled it.

Our vegetable curry stew at The Wave last night was wonderful! Highly recommended.
If you want a good attentive chef, try Chef Miguel at Kouzzina. We went there close to closing and he did an awesome job. Not as good as Chef TJ, but he really tries.

Also, if you haven't done it this trip, Tusker House at AK is really good and Sanaa at AKV has an amazing view during the day (and pretty good veg food).

Have you hit Boma this trip? I'm looking for confirmation that someone else thinks it's gone downhill. Major disappointment for us last month.
DaymanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #767
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2elle View Post
We are headed to WDW in 11 days, and will be there for 9 nights. My DD(16) is has been vegetarian for about 6 months now. I have tried to research as much as I can to be able to secure that she will have great options everywhere we are eating. What I am looking into now are CS restaurants. Looking for recommendations on your favorite CS meal options! What do you consider *must haves* ??

Thanks!
Pizza Planet at DHS had a good vegetarian and vegan option.

The Mara at AKL has great falafel.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2011, 01:32 AM   #768
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar View Post
Our vegetable curry stew at The Wave last night was wonderful! Highly recommended.
Is this a new menu item or was it something special they made for you? We've had the Seasonal Vegetable Stew a couple of times and enjoyed it but I haven't heard about the vegetable curry. DH loves curry so he would be very interested to try this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymanX View Post
Have you hit Boma this trip? I'm looking for confirmation that someone else thinks it's gone downhill. Major disappointment for us last month.
We ate there a few weeks ago and had a great meal. I can't remember all the things we ate but the Mattar Paneer in particular was really tasty. DH and I both enjoyed our meals and I've already booked it again for our next trip.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:03 AM   #769
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
Is this a new menu item or was it something special they made for you? We've had the Seasonal Vegetable Stew a couple of times and enjoyed it but I haven't heard about the vegetable curry. DH loves curry so he would be very interested to try this!

We ate there a few weeks ago and had a great meal. I can't remember all the things we ate but the Mattar Paneer in particular was really tasty. DH and I both enjoyed our meals and I've already booked it again for our next trip.
I was bummed that Boma didn't have the yellow curry with tofu or fallafel last time we went. Were they back? Very few vegan options and no vegetarian soups even when we went last month.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:22 AM   #770
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymanX View Post
I was bummed that Boma didn't have the yellow curry with tofu or fallafel last time we went. Were they back? Very few vegan options and no vegetarian soups even when we went last month.
They didn't have either of those the night we were there. I didn't check the soups since I find them so filling that I wouldn't be able to eat much else on the buffet. There were definitely some different items than we've seen on past visits to Boma but we really enjoyed everything we tried. We're vegetarians rather than vegans so that makes it a bit easier to find enough things to eat.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #771
DisPlanningPrincess
Earning My Ears

My boyfriend and I leaving for DW on Saturday. This is our first time together, I have been over a dozen times in the past 10 years so I've gotten pretty good at planning. This time I am second guessing myself because he is vegan, and I am a dairy free vegetarian. On my last trip I had excellent food and service, but because this is his first trip to the world since the 80's I really want to impress him. These are our ADR's:

Saturday - Dinner at Kouzinna after Cirque
Sunday - Lunch at 50's Prime Time (then dinner at CS in Morocco before Illuminations)
Monday - Dinner at 'Ohana after Wishes
Tuesday - Dinner at California Grill, followed by MVMCP
Wednesday - Lunch at Tusker House before we head home

The reason I am second guessing is that with the signature restaurant we either have to pay for two meals OOP, or pay for California grill (which is what I think is best). Also, after reading that Chef TJ is working on Monday, which is our MK day, I am considering booking us a meal with him. Does he work at lunch time at the Grand Floridian Cafe? 1900 PF is only for dinner and we aren't really interested in characters. I don't want to miss our ADR at 'Ohana because I really want my boyfriend to see that resort in hopes of convincing him that we should stay there next time!

Then - if I am adding another meal, which we will have to pay for, is it worth it for us to upgrade to the deluxe dining plan? This would cost us ~$270

Last edited by DisPlanningPrincess; 11-09-2011 at 09:28 AM.
DisPlanningPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #772
Tamar
If you're not going to snort, what's the point of laughing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post

This was right off the menu. Perhaps they've made a change so that the seasonal stew is a curry? It was our first time eating there, so I don't ahve a reference point, except it was great. I asked for the recipe.
Tamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #773
Eliserose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2elle View Post
We are headed to WDW in 11 days, and will be there for 9 nights. My DD(16) is has been vegetarian for about 6 months now. I have tried to research as much as I can to be able to secure that she will have great options everywhere we are eating. What I am looking into now are CS restaurants. Looking for recommendations on your favorite CS meal options! What do you consider *must haves* ??

Thanks!
I had a good veggie burger at Peco Bills in MK. My favorite CS meal was at Wolfgang Puck Express in DTD-Margherita pizza. The beet salad at sunshine seasons in Epcot was pretty good too.
Eliserose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #774
Graciesmom77
DIS Veteran

I have a reservation at Rose and Crown for the Candlelight pacakage. I despise curry and wonder what I should do. I am a vegetarian, not a vegan. Should I ask for a few sides, or ask to speak to the chef? I usually just eat side sides at restaurants at home, but being on the dining plan I am not sure what I should do.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #775
HunnyJar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciesmom77 View Post
I have a reservation at Rose and Crown for the Candlelight pacakage. I despise curry and wonder what I should do. I am a vegetarian, not a vegan. Should I ask for a few sides, or ask to speak to the chef? I usually just eat side sides at restaurants at home, but being on the dining plan I am not sure what I should do.
First I would mention to your server that you are a vegetarian. If they only mention the curry dish, I'd request to speak to a chef and go from there. The chefs are usually really great working with you to make sure you are happy with your meal.

I went to the Grand Floridian Cafe and Liberty Tree Tavern recently and asked what they could do for me. Our servers were actually very knowledgable and gave me several different options to choose from - one option to was to speak with a chef. I found that the server we had at Whispering Canyon was also very helpful when making a entree selection but did not offer to bring out a chef. I'm sure you will have no problems getting a different entree.

HunnyJar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #776
Graciesmom77
DIS Veteran

Anyone have any luck with anything yummy at Coral Reef?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #777
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciesmom77 View Post
Anyone have any luck with anything yummy at Coral Reef?
Definitely NOT. Their vegetarian dish was the worst food I ate at WDW. The phyllo was good, and if I ignored the weird smell I could deal with the taste, but that's not an easy thing to do! The tomato ragout, however, was tremendously salty and very tinny and weird.

That was in September, and allears, which says it was updated for october, shows a mushroom phyllo thing instead of the vegetable thing on our menu, but it still mentions the ragout, so I'm not sure it's that different.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #778
cherylp3
Florida Resident

Graciesmom, Just talk to the chef and explain you don't like curry.

I recently had a great dish at coral reef, I had rice with mushrooms and vegetables. It was excellent.

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #779
Wall-E1
Dis DAD
Beware the mac & cheeseHas YAGEing down to a fine art

Does anyone have a direct phone number to Hoop Dee Do? I wanted to call them a few days before our dinner to let them know that we will need a vegetarian meal. I can't seem to find a direct phone number anywhere.
1979 Polynesian - 1984 Polynesian - 1998 Dixie Landings - Dec 2003 Coronado Springs - Apr 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2004 All Star Sports - Oct 2004 Carribean Beach - Dec 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter - Jan 2005 Wilderness Lodge - May 2005 Pop Century - Oct 2005 Pop Century - Dec 2005 Dolphin Resort - Jan 2006 Disneyland Resort California - August 2006 Yacht Club - Sep 2006 Coronado Springs - Dec 2006 Dolphin Resort - Sep 2007 All Star Movies - Nov 2007 ABD Costa Rica - Feb 2008 Pop Century - August 2008 All Star Music - Sep 2008 All Star Movies - Nov 2008 Pop Century - Dec 2008 Boardwalk Villas - May 2009 Beach Club Villas - September 2009 All Star Movies (my son's 20th trip to WDW!) - Nov 2009 All Star Movies - and for 2010!!! - Jan 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - May 2010 Port Orleans Riverside - September 2010 Pop Century - December 2010 Contemporary - November 2011 Beach Club Villas - March 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 2012 Contemporary - December 2014 Pop Century

Wall-E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #780
Graciesmom77
DIS Veteran

Has anyone been able to ge the Canyon Skillet without the meat at Whipering Canyon Cafe? Maybe get something else substituted for the meat, like pasta or something. All the sides sound good.

Btw, do you think they are worth traveling from Epcot to, and then back to POR?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: