Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
cooks
:)
 
cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Newcastle-upon-tyne
Posts: 142

Looking to buy resale

Hello all just returned from our holiday. Went to the DVC open house and I think it may be the way to go from now on. They offered me some "deals" that were only there for 72 hours...and after them I wouldnít be able to use them. Well after coming home on Wednesday I decided to check the resale market and I could save so much £. Well after coming home I decided to look at the resale market even after our Disney salesman said " I wouldnít bother buying resale you donít get the same perks". These ďperksĒ donít seem good value anyway :/ so Iím fine with that. Iíve been looking at okw as Iím not fussed about having 40 odd years of vacation. The shorter the contract the better . Just been looking at getting 150 points as that enough to get 13-14 nights in September which is when we like to go . Oh and you can still use resale at any dvc resort (just checking)? My question is what would be a good price to pay for resale price per point for OKW. Iíve seen a contract I like the look off although the 2011 points have been used. That does not bother me as 2012 points come in at august. Any help or advice would be great and how much I should be paying per point as we all love a bargain
__________________
cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:14 AM   #2
Pootle


DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,780

You should take a look at this thread; should give you a good idea what is being paid resale
__________________
Moira
DVC member (1996) OKW, VB & BWV
Pootle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Mrs Hobbes
DIS Veteran
 
Mrs Hobbes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Suffolk UK
Posts: 1,053

You can use resale to book any DVC resort but you can not use it for cruises, adventures by Disney or for trading with other timeshare deals. If these are not important to you nor closing your contract quickly then shop around resale you will be able to find a good deal I'm sure.

We've always bought direct personally because we always want specific use year and when we added on this month we wanted to put back points we'd borrowed into this year and only Disney can do that for you when you buy direct. Either way you won't regret your decision it's the best purchase we ever made
__________________
Emma
OFFSITE 07/97 ALL STARS MUSIC 08/00 DLRP SANTA FE 11/05 CORONADO SPRINGS 12/07
JOINED DVC 01/08
AKV 02/09 WLV 10/10 OKW 02/12 AKL 12/13 DLRP MAGIC CIRCUS 06/14 DLRP SEQUOIA LODGE 11/14 DCL DREAM 08/28/15

Mrs Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:21 AM   #4
mrtoffee
Mouseketeer
 
mrtoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Hobbes View Post
You can use resale to book any DVC resort but you can not use it for cruises, adventures by Disney or for trading with other timeshare deals. If these are not important to you nor closing your contract quickly then shop around resale you will be able to find a good deal I'm sure.

We've always bought direct personally because we always want specific use year and when we added on this month we wanted to put back points we'd borrowed into this year and only Disney can do that for you when you buy direct. Either way you won't regret your decision it's the best purchase we ever made
Wow i never realised you cound not use resale DVC membership for the Disney cruises. That kinda scuppers my though of buying a resale
__________________
I have started to collect a few cocktail recipes on my blog "Mrtoffee's Compendium of Magical Elixirs" and though I would share them with all you lovely guys and gals here on the DIS
mrtoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Elise79
Moderator
 
Elise79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: East Anglia, UK
Posts: 5,060
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoffee View Post
Wow i never realised you cound not use resale DVC membership for the Disney cruises. That kinda scuppers my though of buying a resale
Honestly 99% of the time you are better off renting points and paying cash for DCL. The points cost are really high and a $95 fee for booking and there is not as much availability as there used to be for points bookings - DCL don't need to take the points bookings any more as they have plenty of demand since the new ships started booking.

We will buy resale when we add on as the cost savings themselves could easily pay for a cruise or 2!
__________________

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
Wedgeh
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise79 View Post
Honestly 99% of the time you are better off renting points and paying cash for DCL. The points cost are really high and a $95 fee for booking and there is not as much availability as there used to be for points bookings - DCL don't need to take the points bookings any more as they have plenty of demand since the new ships started booking.

We will buy resale when we add on as the cost savings themselves could easily pay for a cruise or 2!
That's spot on, it's really not a great value to use your points for cruising (especially if you've had to pay direct prices for them). You would be better off either renting points, or if cruising is a regular thing for you perhaps just buying a smaller contract.
__________________


Wedgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
beastier
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3

DVC Resales

Hello all

I'm new to the forum so apologies if I'm not posting in the right place or just repeating stuff that's readily accessible elsewhere.

Anyway I'm very interested in buying some resale points. I have spec'd out the idea of joining the DVC & it is something that will be worthwhile for me & my family so the next step is to set about the best method of buying points & any necessary due dilligence...

I wasn't even aware you could buy resale points until a random fellow passenger mentioned it to me in an airport queue a week or so ago. So I checked out dvcresale.com & it does appear there are massive savings to be made vs purchasing from disney directly - it's not really an issue that i wouldn't be getting points for the full 50 years & the limitations on buying resales vs new don't appear particularly restrictive (I'm not really bothered about cruises or trading in points for other hotels, etc I just want to be able to take the family to Disney as much as possible, hopefully each year). At the moment I'm contemplating buying 200 points at the Animal Kingdom

However, I'm not yet confident enough to proceed as I still feel I'm at the beginner stages knowledge wise & would be extremely grateful if anyone could assist with the following questions along with any other snippets of advice:

1) Exactly what are the disadvantages of purchasing resales vs new (hidden or otherwise -eg are you in anyway predjudiced by Disney when making bookings

2) What are the best resale agents to use & how can one be sure they are legitimate - I've only really so far looked at DVCresale.com & they look above board but how do you really go about making sure before parting with your cash that you aren't being ripped off?

3) How does the bidding process work?

4) What's the likely turnaround time from putting in your bid to having your points available to being able to book your vacation (I'm potentially looking to start bidding on points in around 4 weeks time with a view to booking a holiday this October?

5) What's the cost of the dining plan to a DVC member?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
beastier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #8
Elise79
Moderator
 
Elise79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: East Anglia, UK
Posts: 5,060
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastier View Post

1) Exactly what are the disadvantages of purchasing resales vs new (hidden or otherwise -eg are you in anyway predjudiced by Disney when making bookings

2) What are the best resale agents to use & how can one be sure they are legitimate - I've only really so far looked at DVCresale.com & they look above board but how do you really go about making sure before parting with your cash that you aren't being ripped off?

3) How does the bidding process work?

4) What's the likely turnaround time from putting in your bid to having your points available to being able to book your vacation (I'm potentially looking to start bidding on points in around 4 weeks time with a view to booking a holiday this October?

5) What's the cost of the dining plan to a DVC member?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
Firstly have a look at the stickies on the Purchasing DVC forum for a good outline also DVC News had a good guide for beginners.

The only difference between direct and resale is the restrictions on use of points.

There are 4 main agents: Timeshare Store, DVCbyresale, Fidelity and one that is not allowed to be named on these boards by google DVC resale and you will find them.

Once you find a contract you like you contact the broker and make an offer. Everything is negotiable - price per point, maintenance fees and who pays closing costs.

Time scales average 8-10 weeks from offer to being in Disney system. If you are looking to travel this October you will be very limited in choice as we are already in the 7 month window.
__________________

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
beastier
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3

Thank you very much for your help - I am becoming increasingly mindful of the lead time vs getting something booked for October......
beastier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.