Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #751
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Hmmm. At Teppan Edo they cook everything on the grill, and I didn't see broth added to anything in the You Tube videos, but I'll call and see what they say. How do I contact them? I can't find a phone number or email address on the Disney website.

We are staying at the Boardwalk.

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream

Last edited by nancy drew; 11-04-2011 at 06:18 PM.
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #752
cherylp3
Florida Resident

407-824-2222 - that is the line for the wdw switchboard - you can call that and ask them to transfer you to teppan edo. I can double check with my friends who at there, but they said there were not many options.

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #753
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the phone number.

It is really interesting that I'm reading here that there aren't any veg options there. I did a google search and there were other discussions on this board (and elsewhere) saying that the chefs at Teppan Edo will cook vegetarian food on the grill before cooking the meat meals. They put the veggies and noodles on the grill first, then add the meat, but what I've read here on disboards (after asking here) is that they will prepare the veg meal, then cook the rest of the food. All I'd want as far as options is to have my food cooked without meat, and it sounds like that is how they do it, unless things have changed in the last few months.

Anyway, I'll call and see what they say, and report back here. The kids really want to go, so if they won't accommodate me as a vegan I'll just have a beer while the kids eat and get a quick meal elsewhere.

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
Old 11-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #754
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
Thanks for the phone number.

It is really interesting that I'm reading here that there aren't any veg options there. I did a google search and there were other discussions on this board (and elsewhere) saying that the chefs at Teppan Edo will cook vegetarian food on the grill before cooking the meat meals. They put the veggies and noodles on the grill first, then add the meat, but what I've read here on disboards (after asking here) is that they will prepare the veg meal, then cook the rest of the food. All I'd want as far as options is to have my food cooked without meat, and it sounds like that is how they do it, unless things have changed in the last few months.

Anyway, I'll call and see what they say, and report back here. The kids really want to go, so if they won't accommodate me as a vegan I'll just have a beer while the kids eat and get a quick meal elsewhere.
Everything you say is exactly what I have heard before.

And why did I not remember that you are vegan? Studmuffin...I have not proven strong enough to stick with that, as I start to feel deprived and even whinier than normal. however, I lose weight and my allergies disappear, so someday I'll have to try again.

Epcot's sunshine seasons is yummy! Each station makes different things, so find the one with the tofu noodle bowl. They basically do up stir fry then out veg broth in it...delish, if a bit salty. Robert asked for extra tofu in his and they made up new noodles etc for him on the spot, and when I saw that mound of new stir fry I almost asked for mine without the broth!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #755
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

And why did I not remember that you are vegan? Studmuffin...I have not proven strong enough to stick with that, as I start to feel deprived and even whinier than normal. however, I lose weight and my allergies disappear, so someday I'll have to try again.

Epcot's sunshine seasons is yummy! Each station makes different things, so find the one with the tofu noodle bowl. They basically do up stir fry then out veg broth in it...delish, if a bit salty. Robert asked for extra tofu in his and they made up new noodles etc for him on the spot, and when I saw that mound of new stir fry I almost asked for mine without the broth!
I've only been vegan for 6 months, but it feels so good and I can't imagine going back. I was always the "But I could never give up CHEEEEEEESE!!!" holdout, but having been dairy-free for about a year (and egg-free, but eating meat) I knew I could do it. I was just thinking about it tonight, and I finally, at the 6 month mark (oops, now it is 7, but this happened about a month ago) stopped wanting cheese. One thing I missed terribly, living where I do, was deep dish pizza. One night I had ordered one for the kids, and I couldn't stand it, so I took a huge bite when the kids were upstairs. I chewed it, it tasted soooo goooooood, then I spit it out. I didn't need to swallow and digest it, I just needed to taste it. I guess that's when I realized I didn't need it anymore.

Wow, wildly off track. Sorry.

I guess my point is, I never thought I'd do it, but I'm doing it, so you never know. And my other point is I'm happy to be a vegan support if you ever do decide to go for it. It has been so good for me.

Tofu stir fry sounds really good!!! When I was at DLR (horribly not at all vegan friendly) I scarfed down a yucky tofu dish at DCA because I was so protein deprived, and I was craving tofu so much. I'll definitely have to hit Sunshine Seasons!

Me DD 10 DS 8
Old 11-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #756
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Well congratulations! And I hardly think it is off topic for this thread.

Six months makes sense, to get the dairy cravings gone. Aren't you amazing for getting through it?!

Tastes are so different...I should warn o that we sort of liked the tofu things from lucky fortune at DCA, so maybe you shouldn't take my word for tasty things! On the other hand the second time we the lucky fortune thing it the rice wasn't thoroughly cooked...yuck.

If a character meal is in the cards, check out when chef TJ is on shift at 1900 Park Faire! I hear he makes amazing vegan things....

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #757
cherylp3
Florida Resident

Sunshine seasons: my favorite is getting a side of tofu and a side of white rice.

Also Gasparilla Grille is also good for quick service

Also I would email disney dining and see what they say, because other than the table service or the small grocery shop, the only thing is salad at the bakery. (bakery may have sushi but not sure)

Old 11-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #758
HunnyJar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

The tofu noodle bowl! I seriously love this. I could easily eat it several times per trip..if not more. So good! I've gotten it without the broth once (and would have done it again this year, but forgot) and it is very good but in the colder months I bet the broth is nice for warming up a bit. In September it was a little hard to eat, so I basically ate everything but the most of the broth. Some time I'm going to need to ask them for the recipe. Best CS meal each and every trip.

HunnyJar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #759
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

I honestly don't recall why I didn't like the teriyaki tofu at Lucky Fortune, but it didn't stop me from eating it . It may have been one of those things where I had it in my head it would look and taste one way, and it didn't. I tend to be disappointed when that happens. I will definitely have to try the tofu at SS, what with multiple positive reviews here!

Me DD 10 DS 8
Old 11-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #760
Eliserose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
Has anyone had a decent experience with vegan/vegetarian dining at Teppan Edo? I've wanted to take the kids to Benihana for ages, but we haven't made it out to one yet. I figure we can do Teppan Edo, since we are there anyway, but the You Tube videos have me quite concerned. They seem to be using the same utensils and flipping everything around together. I know that choosing to eat a vegan meal is different than having a life-threatening allergy, and that I can eat around the meat that may accidentally find its way into my food, but does the veggie food end up tasting like meat or shrimp? Also what veggies do they give you if you aren't eating meat? The YT vids all seem to have meat eaters, so I didn't get a sense of what veggies are mixed in or whether they have tofu or something.

I'd also love to hear any Epcot/BW area counter service recommendations for vegan food choices. I think I can find enough MK options, but I'm a little overwhelmed by Epcot and our hotel. Thanks!!!
I had the Yasai. My daughter is allergic to shrimp, so I asked that they cook my food first, then hers, then everyone else's. They had no problem doing this and we had a great meal. My meal was fresh vegetables, noodles and rice. They were very nice and acommodating for both her and myself.
Eliserose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #761
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliserose View Post
I had the Yasai. My daughter is allergic to shrimp, so I asked that they cook my food first, then hers, then everyone else's. They had no problem doing this and we had a great meal. My meal was fresh vegetables, noodles and rice. They were very nice and acommodating for both her and myself.
Thank you for posting this! This is all great to read!

Me DD 10 DS 8
Old 11-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #762
mom2elle
Earning My Ears

We are headed to WDW in 11 days, and will be there for 9 nights. My DD(16) is has been vegetarian for about 6 months now. I have tried to research as much as I can to be able to secure that she will have great options everywhere we are eating. What I am looking into now are CS restaurants. Looking for recommendations on your favorite CS meal options! What do you consider *must haves* ??

Thanks!
mom2elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #763
HunnyJar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2elle View Post
We are headed to WDW in 11 days, and will be there for 9 nights. My DD(16) is has been vegetarian for about 6 months now. I have tried to research as much as I can to be able to secure that she will have great options everywhere we are eating. What I am looking into now are CS restaurants. Looking for recommendations on your favorite CS meal options! What do you consider *must haves* ??

Thanks!
Sunshine Seasons (Epcot) - Tofu noodle bowl is my absolute favorite meal for CS

Cosmic Ray's (MK) - Offers both a veggie burger and a veggie wrap. The veggie wrap is pretty good here.

Columbia Harbour House (MK) - The hummus sandwich is a general favorite among the veggie crowd. I do like the sandwich well enough as long as the broccoli slaw is on the side. They also offer vegetarian chili here.

Flame Tree BBQ (AK) - Offers a very, very nice fruit plate. I absolutely love this. I just wish they had indoor seating. We found the birds to be on the aggressive side.

Restaurantosaurus (AK) - Has a very nice grilled veggie sandwich and they have a nice toppings bar. The sandwich also comes with sweet potatoes fries.

I don't do DHS, so I'm no help here. Sorry!

Capt. Cook's (Polynesian Resort) - Has a great touch screen menu with a vegetarian section. I loved the cheese flatbread and the veggie noodles. Also they have vegetarian sushi in the refrigerated section.

Roaring Fork (Wilderness Lodge) - Offers a decent veggie sandwich and also flatbread.

The Mara (Animal Kingdom Lodge) - Not sure if it is still on the menu but they had an amazing veggie burger there back in 2007. It had cumin and was just the most flavorful veggie burger I have ever had. I'm hoping to try their falafel next year.

Earl of Sandwich (DtD) - I haven't actually been here but I did contact their customer service and was super impressed that they are more than happy to work with vegetarian/vegan customers to create a sandwich.

HunnyJar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #764
cherylp3
Florida Resident

DHS: ABC commissary has a edamame salad
Rosie's counter service has vegan burgers
Backlot also has a veggie sandwich or burger

Old 11-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #765
Tamar
If you're not going to snort, what's the point of laughing??

We are currently at DW enjoying the F&W festival. I don't see this posted, though I didn't check back that many posts. We spoke to Chef TJ today, and he will be taking the next 5 days off--won't be back working at GF until next Monday. We had a ressie for 1900 PF for Thursday, but it was all about seeing him there, so we have cancelled it.

Our vegetable curry stew at The Wave last night was wonderful! Highly recommended.
Tamar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: