Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #151
BMICKEY
Mouseketeer

Tr

I've always done a ton of research before each trip, but I never came across a TR - weird right???

Here's my next dilema - We are booked for the Dream on the Oct 28th sailing for 2012 and then we were going to do 3 days at WDW staying at the Beach Club. Well....ugh....now the DH is worried that we won't be able to see all of the Dream in four days and wants to do the Fantasy while she sails the Western Caribbean. Even thought we belong to DVC, we will have to pay out of pocket either way.

We've only been to WDW once (3 years ago) so I'm kinda itching to go again. We don't want to go to Magic Kingdom so I think 3 days is enough to do Epcot, AK & HS.

We have two DS who will be 16 and 13 when we sail. They are split too.

Opinions? Comments?

Thanks!

AUGUST 7, 2012 - Club 33 and a Tour of Walt's Apartment! SEPTEMBER 2, 2012 - First 1/2 Marathon at Disneyland and Club 33
Disneyland - 30+ times First visit to CLUB 33 - February 2012 WDW - 1989 & 2008
Magic - 2007 Eastern & 2009 Western Wonder - 2010 Bahamas Joined DVC - 2007
DM DD DS(16) DS(13)
BMICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:39 AM   #152
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMICKEY View Post
I've always done a ton of research before each trip, but I never came across a TR - weird right???

Here's my next dilema - We are booked for the Dream on the Oct 28th sailing for 2012 and then we were going to do 3 days at WDW staying at the Beach Club. Well....ugh....now the DH is worried that we won't be able to see all of the Dream in four days and wants to do the Fantasy while she sails the Western Caribbean. Even thought we belong to DVC, we will have to pay out of pocket either way.

We've only been to WDW once (3 years ago) so I'm kinda itching to go again. We don't want to go to Magic Kingdom so I think 3 days is enough to do Epcot, AK & HS.

We have two DS who will be 16 and 13 when we sail. They are split too.

Opinions? Comments?

Thanks!
I was not going to comment on you not coming across a TR before, but since you brought it up. . . Just kidding. Years ago during my Disney infancy, I also did a fair amount of research and came across the letters "TR" without realizing what they meant at first, too. Now, a whole new world has opened up for you (but our TR will always be your first love, right?). On to your inquiry. . .

Well, first of all, THREE YEARS ago?! Luv would go nuts (nuttier?) if she had to wait three years in between trips. But, I digress. You will be at WDW during the Food and Wine Festival, so you're correct in that the MK isn't a must-do during that time; besides, they'll just be gearing up for Christmas decorations about then (and if you haven't been to WDW during the Christmas season, you owe it to yourself to do so). However, being away from Disney for three years seems a little harsh--stick to your guns and do a double-dip: WDW and a four-day cruise. Your larger question remains, "is four days enough to explore the Dream?"" No. But, as a counterpoint, and though this will invoke argument from others, seven days might be a little long. On those cruises, don't they wind up having things like "Explore the Princesses' Shoe Sizes Tea" and "Learn How to Tie Nautical Knots" classes to pass the time after awhile? Though the Fantasy will be new, there isn't that much more to do on the ship than on either the Magic or Wonder based on our experience on the Dream. The Aquaduck alone won't keep you that occupied.

We booked a five-day cruise for 2012 while on board in order to have the cheaper rate for when we really wanted to next cruise--2013. However, to our dismay, there are no five-day cruises in 2013, so we're opting to do a four-day vice a seven-day. The key here is there are five-day cruises in 2012, so that is what we'd recommend (if the dates fit with your plans). You get an extra day and night which should be sufficient and some of them visit Castaway Cay twice. That would mean only one extra day for you to procure, assuming you're currently locked in on seven days off from school and work, and it would give you the ability to not only visit the parks but to have an extra day on the Dream.

If you are locked in on either doing a four or seven-day cruise, our opinion is that we'd still prefer to do a four-day cruise which would allow us three days at the World, then four days where we try to take in all that we can and max out our days (and nights) on the Dream rather than wondering if we'd begin to get a little bored over seven days on the Fantasy and miss out on Disney altogether. Others who read this would disagree, but we prefer to leave a little unfinished business to keep us anticipating our next cruise a little more.

If anyone else who reads this has a differing opinion, feel free to chime in. Hope this helps your decision-making! Slainte!

Last edited by sleepydog25; 11-07-2011 at 05:56 AM. Reason: P.S. Luv gives me all her best ideas for which I take credit. . .sort of like Shakespeare and Marlow. . . ;-D
sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #153
kellyb2000
I admit it...my username is boring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMICKEY View Post
We don't want to go to Magic Kingdom...

kellyb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #154
kellyb2000
I admit it...my username is boring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
But, as a counterpoint, and though this will invoke argument from others, seven days might be a little long.

Quote:
On those cruises, don't they wind up having things like "Explore the Princesses' Shoe Sizes Tea" and "Learn How to Tie Nautical Knots" classes to pass the time after awhile?

kellyb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #155
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Are you going to be able to do Diseny still if you go on the Fantasy? if so, I would do the Fantasy. It wil lbe brand new and the Inaugural year...which is special in itself.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #156
luvvwl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Last edited by sleepydog25; Yesterday at 06:56 AM. Reason: P.S. Luv gives me all her best ideas for which I take credit. . .sort of like Shakespeare and Marlow. . . ;-D
You bet your sweet bippy, buddy!

And don't you forget it!!!
luvvwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #157
BMICKEY
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb2000 View Post
I know, I know.....but really....the last time we were there, we were so busy comparing it to Disneyland (which we think is better by far) that we really didn't enjoy it.

I would rather spend our time at the other parts.

AUGUST 7, 2012 - Club 33 and a Tour of Walt's Apartment! SEPTEMBER 2, 2012 - First 1/2 Marathon at Disneyland and Club 33
DM DD DS(16) DS(13)
Old 11-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #158
BMICKEY
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb2000 View Post

LOL - we LOVE the 7 day cruises! We would rather stay on the ship taking it all in. We like to sleep in, eat, do the games shoes, eat, drink, swim, eat, relax - did I mention eat?

Our last cruise was only 4 days and we loved it but felt robbed! The only thing that saved it was the day at Cape Canaveral and two days at Universal Orlando (I love Harry Potter)...

We are still going back and forth on what to do! The other problem is the age of boys. One more year after 2012 and my oldest will be too old for the clubs and too young for the adult stuff so we need to make the most of it!

Thanks!

DM DD DS(16) DS(13)
Old 11-11-2011, 04:40 AM   #159
sleepydog25

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvvwl View Post
You bet your sweet bippy, buddy!

And don't you forget it!!!
Who are you, Goldie Hawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb2000
sleepydog25: But, as a counterpoint, and though this will invoke argument from others, seven days might be a little long.

Originally Posted by sleepydog25
But, as a counterpoint, and though this will invoke argument from others, seven days might be a little long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMICKEY
I know, I know.....but really....the last time we were there, we were so busy comparing it to Disneyland (which we think is better by far) that we really didn't enjoy it. . .

LOL - we LOVE the 7 day cruises! We would rather stay on the ship taking it all in. We like to sleep in, eat, do the games shoes, eat, drink, swim, eat, relax - did I mention eat?

Our last cruise was only 4 days and we loved it but felt robbed! The only thing that saved it was the day at Cape Canaveral and two days at Universal Orlando (I love Harry Potter)...
Having had my first experience with Disney being the Land (vice the World), I would agree that DL seems a bit more intimate and original--it's hard to explain exactly what I mean. For example, one of my favorite rides at DL is Storybook Land of which WDW has no equivalent. I do love WDW, too, but my first love will always be DL.

Oh, the eating. Oh, my, yes. We do so love that, too. lol We're heading down to WDW for a Thanksmas trip (about which luv is supposed to be writing a pre-TR--ahem!) in 10 days. During that time, we will swing over to Harry Potter Park, umm, Universal for a day. Maybe you'll be able to read about it. . .ahem!!

Last edited by sleepydog25; 11-11-2011 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Honestly, we haven't forgotten about the rest of our Remy report--got sidetracked, just sayin'.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #160
BMICKEY
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Having had my first experience with Disney being the Land (vice the World), I would agree that DL seems a bit more intimate and original--it's hard to explain exactly what I mean. For example, one of my favorite rides at DL is Storybook Land of which WDW has no equivalent. I do love WDW, too, but my first love will always be DL.

Oh, the eating. Oh, my, yes. We do so love that, too. lol We're heading down to WDW for a Thanksmas trip (about which luv is supposed to be writing a pre-TR--ahem!) in 10 days. During that time, we will swing over to Harry Potter Park, umm, Universal for a day. Maybe you'll be able to read about it. . .ahem!!
I'm so happy you see my side of things ;o)

Have you seen WWoHP yet? We went last year and LOVED it! Well I did, my hubby has never read or watched the movies so didn't completely appreciate how great it was and so like walking into the books!

I think we have decided to do the 7 day. My oldest son will turn 17 by the next cruise and wouldn't be able to go into the Teen clubs but would be too old for adult things. Plus, we really did want to go to WDW longer - so maybe that will be the next trip!

Soooo.....when is Part Deux to arrive?????

DM DD DS(16) DS(13)
Old 11-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #161
luvvwl
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I saw that! And. I've been busy!! And. You know it. SOMEONE has to do ALL the planning and her name doesn't start with a S and a D.

Just sayin'....
luvvwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #162
sleepydog25

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvvwl View Post
I saw that! And. I've been busy!! And. You know it. SOMEONE has to do ALL the planning and her name doesn't start with a S and a D.

Just sayin'....
If by busy you mean re-re-re-re-revisiting dining and park plans for the eleventyeth time, except for a quick break to buy a D & B then, yes, you have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMICKEY
I'm so happy you see my side of things ;o) Methinks this is what thou tellest thy hubby about all things Disney, no?

Have you seen WWoHP yet? We went last year and LOVED it! Well I did, my hubby has never read or watched the movies so didn't completely appreciate how great it was and so like walking into the books! Nope, haven't been to HP world yet, though my 11-yr old went last summer (she had read all the books by age 10). We're looking forward to branching out just a little bit from Mickey Universe.

I think we have decided to do the 7 day. My oldest son will turn 17 by the next cruise and wouldn't be able to go into the Teen clubs but would be too old for adult things. Plus, we really did want to go to WDW longer - so maybe that will be the next trip! So, let me get this straight. Your eldest son can't do either the teen club nor the adult activities, and you're going to torture him with 7 whole days on a cruise? Ruh-roh.

Soooo.....when is Part Deux to arrive????? This weekend?

Old 11-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #163
ladybug23
Mouseketeer

We just got off the 4 day Dream 11/6 cruise and a couple of things:

1. DH and I agreed that we really don't ever want to do a 4 day cruise again. WAAAAAAYYYYY too short and honestly don't know how people do the 3 day cruises. We were only just getting used to the ship layout and how to navigate the decks when it was time to get off. We also felt like if you missed your ONE chance to see the new POTC movie, you were out of luck and there were no other opportunities. There were many other things where you only got one chance to see something, so if you missed it that was it. On 7 night cruises you get several chances to see things - so you don't feel pressured to make bad choices on what to do with your time.

2. The mini golf and basketball court - YES, just like your TR states, they ARE directly above Palo's and Remy's. And while at night dinner may not be impacted but by an occasional thump - Brunch is an entirely different story. I couldn't wait to leave my wonderful brunch to escape the thumping and thudding of the basketball court directly above my head. Bad enough it was a late drunken pirate night the evening before, but really? The poor designer that came up with that layout and did not call for extra layers of sound proofing between those two decks - please tell them to find another job!!! Seriously! I felt like I was eating a fine brunch at the High School gymnasium.
DCL-4 night Bahama 11/6/2011
DCL-7 night Eastern Carribean 12/1/2012, 11/2/2013

[/url]
ladybug23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #164
BMICKEY
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If by busy you mean re-re-re-re-revisiting dining and park plans for the eleventyeth time, except for a quick break to buy a D & B then, yes, you have been.
Ummm....hello....that is exactly how I plan. And your point is? YOU GO GIRL!

DM DD DS(16) DS(13)
Old 11-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #165
BMICKEY
Mouseketeer

Okay...I guess I'm bad at explaining things. When we go on the cruise in 2012, the oldest will be 16. If we waited til 2013 to do another cruise, he would then be too old by then. Get it now? LOL

I tried to respond to the end of yours but I am not smart enough to figure that out!

Looking forward to the read!

DM DD DS(16) DS(13)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: