Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: do I paint or not
paint 30 71.43%
don't paint 12 28.57%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
mrudman
DIS Veteran

I'd love to buy your house! Sounds like my dream home,

Problem is I don't have the funds, lol! How much are you planning on asking for it if you don't mind me asking?

mrudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #17
sherry7
DIS Veteran

The first house I owned was built in 1869, and all of the rooms had wide plank floors that had been painted over the years. The planks weren't smooth at all, you could see a considerable amount of grooves, etc. even through multiple layers of paint. This sounds exactly like your floors.

Most of the floors had been covered by carpeting by the previous owners, so we left those as is. We did repaint one of the bedroom floors however. I went to either Lowe's or Home Depot and bought an oil-based floor paint. I did around the baseboards with a trim brush, and rolled the rest on using a roller with a 4 foot extension handle. It stunk awfully for several days, and took a long time to dry because it was oil-based. But it was super durable, and never scratched or chipped. (For the record, we didn't have pets.) I chose a dark brown color, about the same shade as chocolate. It did show dust because the color was darker, but it was super easy to run a damp dust mop over the floor once a week.
sherry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #18
I loveStitchnippyjon
DIS Veteran

If you decide to paint, be sure you fill in all the chips and gouges with wood putty first!
Our house is from the 1870's and had painted woodwork. DH stripped down two rooms and it was a real ordeal with the milk paint! After that, he just stripped the doors and replaced the trim in the rest of the house with new! Much, much easier.
Best of luck selling your old house!
I loveStitchnippyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #19
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Refinishing would be ideal, but since that's not an option, I'd paint dark brown. In my mind, it's softer and less stark than black.

The possibility of lead paint wouldn't deter me a bit. I personally know a child who has developmental delays because he ate lead paint, and his issues are severe . . . but my children are 14 and 17, and they don't chew on windowsills. In fact, they didn't chew on windowsills when they were toddlers either. Most children who were injured by lead paint grew up sleeping in CRIBS that were painted with the bad stuff.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #20
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrudman View Post
I'd love to buy your house! Sounds like my dream home,

Problem is I don't have the funds, lol! How much are you planning on asking for it if you don't mind me asking?
It is a 14 room antique cape. 4 bedrooms and 2 office area's with a first floor laundry off the kitchen that triples as a half bath and pantry area with 2 full bathrooms also. We have just under an acre of open grass for playing, a shed, and a garage just big enough to hold your outdoor grown up toys. we are 5 miles from a great ski mountain, 2,734 feet to the top, or dropping your boat in the 10 mile long lake. It's only 3 miles to the town beach for swimming. 30 minutes to Concord and 90 minutes to Boston. Plus the student teacher ratio is 9/1.

We plan on asking in the area of $260,000.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #21
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

We are hoping to catch some vacationer's eye this winter since there are a lot of homes up here are used seasonally. We have plenty of parking for multiples vehicles or boats or anything. Plus one office could be another bedroom and there is tons of rooms for ski's and such.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #22
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

I would paint the floors, but not a dark color. Dark floors show all kinds of dirt and dust. I'd be inclined to paint them white and use throw rugs.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #23
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

well today we are patching holes, replacing lights, adding a ceiling medallion in the kitchen and washing the walls. Tomorrow my bathroom gets painted and so does the hallway and one kitchen wall. Still sorting out stuff and so many toys that my kids never touch anymore or are way too young for them.

Floors come soon.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #24
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan4Me View Post
I was watcing one of those "First Time Home Owners" shows and in one state-in the Northeast-one part of the home buying inspection is for Lead based paint-and every home over 20 years old gets this inspection. The sale is not allowed until the lead paint is removed by the seller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
The shows lies. That is not how it works. there are only rules for removal if you are renting. You can sell a house with lead as long as you disclose it. And the removal is only required for renters if they have a child under 6 or a pregnant woman. Massachusetts is more tough on it but I don't believe any of them "require" removal. For some houses that would almost mean a complete tear down.
Yup. I'm 100% certain that when my sister bought her house, built in the mid-fifties, that either no lead inspection was done or no lead paint was removed by the seller. I'm equally positive that any lead paint in that house from when it was built to today was never removed, only painted over.

They bought the house from our mom, so I know its entire history.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #25
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

re: lead the laws are different state to state. Those I know require full disclosure of existence and then full remedy (which can be a full gut with re-inspection). Thankfully for you, sounds like you are not under those rules.
Personally Id paint over everything, let it look consistent thru out...Id go med to dark brown tone.
Good Luck!!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #26
Eeyore98
DIS Veteran

I agree with PPs, I would leave the alcove that you refinished alone, but otherwise paint everything else a chocolate brown.
Eeyore98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #27
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

starting to paint today, I think I'll take some before and after pictures. Not painting floors yet though. I think I'll start with painting the steps on Wednesday before Thanksgiving when we won't be using them so much and I can turn the heat off and crack a window. I'm painting the master bath and part of the kitchen today.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #28
henrylarry6
Earning My Ears

I would probably paint the floors a neutral color. Since you're updating the rest of the interior paint it's probably a good idea to update the floors as much as possible so they don't stand out.
henrylarry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #29
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Ok it has to be done now! pictures please! I love old floors and would personally like less work to get them back to natural, or even milk paint blue(love that!) but white seems to be the color I saw the most of. Wonder if your house has sold already?

Update!
java is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: