Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #136
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Kona Café Breakfast

Tuesday October 11th Part One

We had a nice leisurely start to the day today and made our way over to the Polynesian for a 9.45am ADR at Kona Café

We arrived in plenty of time so had chance for a bit of an explore

I so want to stay at this resort someday, it’s just beautiful

If only every day could start like this

Anyway onto the good stuff; the reason for this ADR was to try a couple of legendary WDW breakfast delights

Before we checked in I was still going back and forth in my mind as to what I should order; imagine my delight when DH selected one of my two choices

Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes - with macadamia nut butter, pineapple sauce and your choice of ham, bacon or sausage

As you can see, DH selected the sausage which he really enjoyed, in general the sausage at WDW is always a big hit with DH and more than makes up for the poor bacon

Now I have to admit we were both a little underwhelmed with these, it’s not that they were bad but we both prefer a lighter and fluffier pancake than these.

Each pancake was actually quite thick and dense and it just felt like hard work to chew your way through each one; perhaps we just didn’t get a great batch as I have seen so many great reviews of these in the past

So with DH choosing the Pancakes I was now free to order my other option

Tonga Toast - banana stuffed sourdough bread, rolled in cinnamon sugar and served with Strawberry Compote and your choice of ham, bacon, or sausage

I asked if I could get eggs as my side which my server confirmed wasn’t a problem

I hate to say it but yet again we were a little disappointed with this

The Tonga Toast seemed really hard and when I cut through into the middle there was the tiniest piece of banana (probably the size of my thumbnail) to be honest I think it had been either overcooked or left to sit under a heat lamp for too long

Flavour wise I thought it was great so I’m really not sure if just we got a bad example or if this is the usual texture

It was actually really hard work to cut through it and it definitely needed more banana filling

The eggs were wonderful however, really light and creamy and we both really enjoyed them

Our server didn’t bring the usual accompaniments out with our food so I had to flag her down as I really wanted to try the Strawberry Sauce (she didn’t seem very happy that I asked )

Strawberry Sauce, Butter and Syrup

The Strawberry Sauce was delicious but I much preferred using the butter and syrup with the Toast; wow I must have consumed like a million calories

As DH doesn’t drink coffee I ordered a cup of the Kona Blend rather that the Kona Press Pot as I thought it would be too much coffee for one person, in hindsight I am sure I would have managed to get through it so if we visit again I will certainly order it

In a (macadamia) nutshell; Kona was OK but not amazing and I don’t really feel the need to rush back, well at least not for breakfast but we love dinner here

Coming Up Next – Magic Kingdom & Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #137
KatMark
DIS Veteran

All caught up again.

We finally got to EOS this year and Mark had the original and LOVED it.

We've not been to Flying Fish either. We keep talking about it and Nicki has said we should try it, but we just never get around to it. I would have been disappointed as I know I would have ordered the scallops -- love scallops -- but for them not to be cooked right would have thrown off my whole night.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #139
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I catch up and comment and you go and sneak in another review on me.

I'm sorry that you were not very happy with Kona. We went for the first time and loved our meal (I've not gotten to that part of my reviews yet), but then we all ordered things that you didn't, except Mark -- he did have the tonga toast.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #140
LowesChevy
The happy haunts have received your sympathetic vibrations and are beginning to materialize

Now I really want pineapple macadamia nut pancakes! My fav
LowesChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #141
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Oh I would totally love to stay at Poly one day..what a lovely resort!

Oh no on the Tonga Toast not being all that - I was really excited to see that you had chosen the one dish I really want to try so was not happy to read you were disappointed.
TanzUnited99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #142
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Linda, I am not sure the Tonga Toast is a heatlamp thing ..... I am not the biggest fan either. I LOVED the Banana Stuffed Frenchtoast they served at Boatwrights when they still did breakfast though. But it was different - more banana, not so much bread and they had real strawberry syrup, sweet but yum.

Okay, got sidetracked.
At least the eggs were good! Can't wait for your review of MNSSHP!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #143
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Hi Linda! Don't tell anyone - but I've never really fancied the Tonga toast...

It just looks too blinkin'......cuboid! And very, very sweet! But I'm sad you didn't enjoy the pancakes - I was thinking about pancakes at Kona Cafe! We've never had breakfast there before but we want to go next year....

I love the painted toenails on the hammock photo. I love the Polynesian too and would love to stay there.
mamaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:05 AM   #145
Linda67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
You should 100% try it, that is our favorite signature!
Ooh I think we are going to have to fit it into our May 2012 plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I catch up and comment and you go and sneak in another review on me.

I'm sorry that you were not very happy with Kona. We went for the first time and loved our meal (I've not gotten to that part of my reviews yet), but then we all ordered things that you didn't, except Mark -- he did have the tonga toast.
You have to be quick round here
I really thought DH would have ordered the Samoan as I am sure he would have loved it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowesChevy View Post
Now I really want pineapple macadamia nut pancakes! My fav
Wish I could help you with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
Oh I would totally love to stay at Poly one day..what a lovely resort!

Oh no on the Tonga Toast not being all that - I was really excited to see that you had chosen the one dish I really want to try so was not happy to read you were disappointed.
The Poly sure is a wonderful resort ... mmm, one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Linda, I am not sure the Tonga Toast is a heatlamp thing ..... I am not the biggest fan either. I LOVED the Banana Stuffed Frenchtoast they served at Boatwrights when they still did breakfast though. But it was different - more banana, not so much bread and they had real strawberry syrup, sweet but yum.

Okay, got sidetracked.
At least the eggs were good! Can't wait for your review of MNSSHP!
Hi Karin
I've heard a lot of great reviews of the old Boatwrights Breakfast, such a shame it's not still available

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboogie View Post
Hi Linda! Don't tell anyone - but I've never really fancied the Tonga toast...

It just looks too blinkin'......cuboid! And very, very sweet! But I'm sad you didn't enjoy the pancakes - I was thinking about pancakes at Kona Cafe! We've never had breakfast there before but we want to go next year....

I love the painted toenails on the hammock photo. I love the Polynesian too and would love to stay there.
Cuboid - my new favourite word
Thanks for spotting the toe nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
We ate at Kona for breakfast at the end of September and our experience was the opposite. Meaning my pancakes were very good and DH's eggs were runny. Our waitress was nice enough, but DH said that the hostess wasn't very friendly. So I guess this place is hit or miss.
I have to admit, nobody was very friendly in there and I am such a ray of sunshine in the morning
Old 11-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #146
Linda67

MK - Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

Tuesday October 11th Part Two

Following our breakfast at the Kona Café we headed off property to do a little shopping

Our breakfast kept us going so we didn’t feel the need for lunch; I did pick up a Pumpkin Spiced Latte from Starbucks though, man I wish they had these in England

After dropping our bags back off at the Boardwalk and freshening up we jumped on a bus to MK for tonight’s Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party

We arrived at the park a little after 4pm got our wristbands and trick or treat bags and headed into the park

The party doesn’t officially start until 7pm but we wanted to have time to explore and grab something to eat ahead of the festivities

On a side note; on the way into the park DH spotted the Barbers Shop (I can’t believe he hadn’t noticed it before) and asked me if it was ‘real’

‘Mmm, yep it’s real’

Right there and then DH decided that he needed a haircut

So in we went; me thinking there would be no chance of just walking in and getting an appointment but low and behold there was a chair just waiting for him and within five minutes he was chatting away to the wonderful CM Barber and putting the World to rights

It was a seriously good haircut and DH was delighted with it, what he wasn’t expecting was the finishing touch of Pixie Dust all over his hair

I thought it was hysterical and was more than happy to bow my head when asked if I would like a sprinkle as well

So we headed off down Main Street with our hair full of glitter and DH’s pockets stuffed with Mickey stickers for being a good boy and not crying

We were both getting hungry and DH was in the mood for a burger so we headed over to Pecos Bill in Frontierland

Deluxe 1/3-Pound Angus Cheeseburger - topped with bacon, onion rings, and barbeque sauce served with french fries

I really wanted to eat at Columbia Harbour House so didn’t order anything here but DH loved his burger and said that everything was hot, fresh and well cooked

He didn’t feel like dessert so he just got a Coke and a chocolate chip cookie to take away with us

Coke & Chocolate Chip Cookie

We headed over to Columbia Harbour House only do discover that it had closed 15 minutes earlier

OK no problem, let’s move to plan B, a snack for now and I’ll grab something later

Mickey Pretzel – Frontierland Pretzel Cart

OK, so it goes without saying that anything shaped like Mickey automatically tastes good but this was a perfect example of a soft, fresh, salty pretzel

I ate this looking out across the water to Tom Sawyer’s Island and spotted this guy below me .....

‘No chance pal, get your own’

Next up on our little snack attack

Dole Whip Swirl

The more observant of you will notice that yet again there are two spoons in this photograph; can I just give a little piece of advice to any of you out there planning weddings …………. Get something in the pre-nup about sharing Dole Whip

The crowds seemed really low tonight and with the Party now in full swing most of the rides were walk-ons so we hit the attractions before finding ourselves near Cosmic Ray’s where I decided to go and get myself something to eat

Cosmic Rays - Vegetarian Burger, Fries, Coke and Carrot Cake

This was a pretty sad burger; taste wise it was OK but the bread looked like someone had run over it with a parade float

I managed to save it by making good use of the toppings bar

The carrot cake was bleh, it had a strange chemical taste to me so after one bite I decided to save my self for the upcoming Candy feast and headed off to find the Trick Or Treat stations

Sugar, Sugar, Sugar

Just to wrap up, We LOVED the Halloween Party, the parade was absolutely the best I have every seen and the fireworks were awesome

I loved the way that the park was decorated and the spooky lighting effects and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another ticket if we were in WDW at this time of year again

We started to head out of the park just before midnight but I couldn’t resist one last spooky treat (like I hadn’t had enough sugar already )

Ladies and Gentlemen; I give you the Eyeball Cupcake

Are you looking at me funny?

Next Up – You end the day with a Cupcake so why not start the day with a Cupcake?!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #147
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

You saw that gator in MK!!! OMG I would have freaked out...I have this huge terror thing when it comes to gators, could be because we live around a huge lake and they are always out sunning themselves while I am walking

Love the candy, the two times we did the MNSSHP we had lousy candy and it was super small pieces

Your pretzel looks so good!

I saw those eyeball cupcakes in MSB, did you see the ones that were upsidedown with the wicked witch legs sticking out? That was hysterical!
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #148
archdandy
DIS Veteran

Awesome review of the MNSSHP! I've been hearing some horror stories about it lately so it's nice to see somebody had a good time there!

October 2013 Port Orleans Resort
May 2013 Animal Kingdom Kidani
October 2012 Art of Animation
January 2012 Port Orleans Resort
June 2011 Coronado Springs
September 2010 All Star Sports
archdandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #149
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Love the review of MNSSHP

Love the pictures of the food

Love the review of the food

The idea of a gator in the MK ...... um, well, not so much!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #150
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Just caught up with all your reviews! Boy am I behind!

I must have one of those Mickey pretzels! They look so good! I will seek one out next month.

I loved your CRT review! We had such a great experience there! Much like you, I wanted to go, but it wasn't on DH's list of vacation must-dos. He was a good sport though and had a great time too.

I had no idea that there was a pineappple vanilla swirl with the Dole Whip! I thought it was just all pineapple ice cream. I think I'll have one with my Mickey pretzel.

Sorry you didn't have the greatest experience with Kona breakfast. That was one of our favorite meals last trip. Every restaurant has some off moments though. I hope you get to try it again some other time with better results.

All your reviews are great so far! Can't wait to read more!
jerseytinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: