Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
Revan
Mouseketeer

Kindle Lending Library

Very cool news coming out of Amazon - if you have an Amazon Prime membership (free 2nd day shipping and free movies/tv shows a la Netflix) you can now "borrow" kindle books for free - currently they have about 5,000 books - I saw about a dozen in the first 4 pages that I want to read - so good books, not public domain.

If you don't have Amazon Prime - the service costs $79 per year.

Amazon Intros Kindle Lending Library

2008 - Wilderness Lodge first trip in 20 years; 2010 - Port Orleans; 2011 - Caribbean Beach/Beach Club; 2012 - Coranado Springs
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

I saw that last night! I haven't had a chance to look at it much. I'm wondering if it will be like getting digital audio books from the library. The library has a limited number of downloads they allow for each book at once. That book is considered "out" until the time is up and then someone else can download it.

We've had Prime since the time it was just to get free two day shipping on any amount. We loved it just for that reason. I'm also looking forward to getting our Kindle fire. I'll have to see which one I like for better for reading though.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
Revan
Mouseketeer

Just checked the Amazon site - it's all over the place there. It looks like you can borrow one book a month - keep it as long as it takes to finish it, no limits on the number of a specific title available - which makes sense since there are millions of Kindle owners. Hopefully, they'll easy up on the number of borrowings per month for people who read fast or borrow a book that they end up not liking.

2008 - Wilderness Lodge first trip in 20 years; 2010 - Port Orleans; 2011 - Caribbean Beach/Beach Club; 2012 - Coranado Springs
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
snowwhitenyc
Mouseketeer

Wow, this is exciting! You know, my Amazon Prime membership is something I splurged on once just to see how I would like it and I've never, ever regretted it. They just keep adding more and more benefits, making it an even better value!

If Disney wanted to adopt that model with the APs, I certainly wouldn't mind!
snowwhitenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Revan
Mouseketeer

Totally agree that it is one of the best deals going. I order a lot of bulk grocery items through amazon and if you schedule your orders - you save an additional 15%. I think all the added perks make this way more valuable than a CostCo or Sam's Club membership. I just wish the videos would stream over my Xbox and iPhone/iPad - so I wouldn't have to buy a separate device to watch them - then it would be goodbye Netflix.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

I haven't used the Prime streaming video yet. Netflix just has more of the shows I like so not giving up Netflix anytime soon. Of course I'll have to test it out on the Fire when it comes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: