Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #331
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

That's what I was thinking. I'm usually faster on the road than the treadmill. The only exception was the time I was going for broke on a treadmill 5k time. lol.

I'm shooting for a minimum of 6 miles this Saturday, but deep down want 10-12. I'd still like to keep my time no more than 10mm either way if I'm doing 5:1 run/walk ratio.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #332
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

halvnorsk
If you defer will you come in 2013. That will probably give you a better experience. But I'm sure that with for pool running to keep your cardio up, and then reducing your speed expectations you can do goofy, if you will be disappointed all year that you didn't complete it, I'd run. Otherwise I'll see you in 2013.

joan
I was running right about an 8. It wasn't real scientific, I had a countdowntimer on my watch set for 5 minutes. When it beeped I reset it, walked until 4:30 and then started running. If you are running 9:20 miles straight up you should have no problem running sub 2:00. I think next time I'm doing with a run 3 walk 30.

pensgirl10
You don't have to run with a pacegroup if you don't want to, you can usually see them from 10-20 feet behind them, just check to make sure they are there every so often.

dragitoff
I agree with Jackie, don't worry about pace, as you will run different on the road. Keep the same walk breaks and same perceived effort you should be fine.

MikeofRose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #333
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseDogMom View Post
Mike - My bib # is 24868. For those of you who're friends with me on FB, my updates will appear automatically. Gotta love technology!

Jackie
Congratulations on finishing the MCM

MikeofRose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #334
MouseDogMom
DIS Veteran

Mike - Thanks! Although I didn't get the 5:30 that I've been chasing for 3 years now, I did achieve a much more important goal - I finished all 26.2 miles without hitting the wall. Each of my previous 4 marathons have included some point (or points) at which I completely fell apart and swore to myself I would never, ever run again. This time I ran/walked the entire distance and crossed the finish line with a huge smile on my face, mostly thanks to the friend who was with me the entire time. We finished together, and that made all the difference. And it was still a PR by 11 minutes, so I'm thrilled! And so sore today that I can hardly breathe - apparently that's what happens when you don't run for 2 weeks prior to the marathon...

Jackie

MouseDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #335
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Jackie yeah on your marathon. Bet it was a bit cold to start.

Dragifoff How'd your weekend run go?

Jeremy You just keep getting better and better. Keep it up!

Andrea Good luck on your training...having little ones takes a lot of time and energy...I used to have 4 now all adults.

pensgirls When is your race? I think the pace group is a good idea too. Gotta love our DD's.

ASM- Once again the weather was great for my LR...18 miles and I feel pretty good this morning and am waiting for the weather to warm up for my 80 min bike ride. The run was good, but the pace was not 9:03mm-to over 12 mm. The last 2 miles were the worst. I know I went out fast. I think because I was well rested and fueled and just didn't feel I was going so fast (for me). I was hydrating well (really love my handheld and now am thinking I will carry it for the full at WDW) and my fuel was good. I had a 6 mile loop past my house and could refill my bottle and grab a 1/3 of a bar I had split up and put in a baggie by my garage. I had jelly beans in the pouch of my handheld and I like to pop one in my mouth and take a swig of water with it.

joan4mickey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #336
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
Jackie yeah on your marathon. Bet it was a bit cold to start.

Dragifoff How'd your weekend run go?

Jeremy You just keep getting better and better. Keep it up!

Andrea Good luck on your training...having little ones takes a lot of time and energy...I used to have 4 now all adults.

pensgirls When is your race? I think the pace group is a good idea too. Gotta love our DD's.

ASM- Once again the weather was great for my LR...18 miles and I feel pretty good this morning and am waiting for the weather to warm up for my 80 min bike ride. The run was good, but the pace was not 9:03mm-to over 12 mm. The last 2 miles were the worst. I know I went out fast. I think because I was well rested and fueled and just didn't feel I was going so fast (for me). I was hydrating well (really love my handheld and now am thinking I will carry it for the full at WDW) and my fuel was good. I had a 6 mile loop past my house and could refill my bottle and grab a 1/3 of a bar I had split up and put in a baggie by my garage. I had jelly beans in the pouch of my handheld and I like to pop one in my mouth and take a swig of water with it.
It went great! I was able to complete my 12 miles in 1:55. It was definitely a learning experience and my first shot at fueling while running. That was a new experience (mainly just figuring out how to carry everything). I'm seriously wanting to do a run like that every weekend (time permitting).
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #337
bcdavi
Earning My Ears

Jackie - YEA!!! Congratulations on your marathon and PR. I had a similar marathon on 10/23 when I bumped into somw Galloway friends and ran as a group. I didn't quite hit my 5:30 but it was close. But most importantly it was fun!

Andrea - Hi and welcome! You can do it - we're all rooting for you!

Cami - So sorry about your stress fractures! To be honest, I wouldn't do the Goofy. Maybe one or the other, but not both. Reaching this short term goal might result in long term problems. I know it's hard to wait an entire year to try it again. Whatever you decide we'll all cheer you on!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #338
finishline413
Mouseketeer

First post

Hey guys, hope I am in the right spot to become a WISH'er! Please add me to the list. I will be running in the Princess Half in February, that will be my fourth Half Marathon. Three years ago I ran my first Half at Disney's Marathon Weekend in January...yes the one where there was ice, hail, and I believe, snow! :-)

Let me know if there is anything else I need to do to become official. I have subscribed to the Princess Thread.
finishline413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #339
msufan
Earning My Ears

I'm looking to become an official W.I.S.H.er, too. Can you add me to the list?
Thanks
msufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #340
AvasAvenue
Princess Stephanie

Smile Newbie Here!

Hi! Hopefully I'm in the right spot to become an official WISH'er! I'm a newbie to the DISboards... Could I please be added to the list?! I will be running in the Princess Half in February. This is my first Disney race and first Half Marathon!!!

Please let me know if there is anything else I need to do to become an official WISH'er. I *think* I have subscribed to the Princess Thread.

Can't wait to get to know you all!

Stephanie

Last edited by AvasAvenue; 01-11-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: To fix the notification setting for my post... still learning :)
AvasAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #341
chimera
WISH Racing Team Member
If I wear a Cumulus on one foot and a Nimbus on the other, will there be thunderstorms during my run?

You're all official just by posting! Welcome to the WISH team! Many folks are still returning from marathon weekend, but you'll see activity picking up again soon. There will be plenty of folks going to Princess so you'll have a built-in support crew at the ready.
chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #342
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Hi All! I've made a commitment to train for the Princess Half in 2013. I have a long way to go, but I'm out there. Right now I'm just trying to stay un-injured.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #343
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

So welcome to all who have joined in the fun. WISH is not a formal thing--no memberships, lists, rosters, dues, secret handshakes, hazing rituals, etc. As soon as you show up, delcare your intention to do something--you are a WISHer.

I've been thinking of my goals for 2012 and reflecting back on 2011. I give 2011 a C-. On the one hand, I ran Boston! This was a wonderful experience, and even though my race was less than I hoped, I still had a great time. But on the other hand, losing 5 months of running to a herniated disk really sucked. It messed with my body and mind.

2012 has started out well, though, so here's hoping it continues that way. As for goals: still sorta TBD. Stay healthy is one--but I'm not sure how much control I really have over that!

So what does anyone else plan to do this year?

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #344
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
So welcome to all who have joined in the fun. WISH is not a formal thing--no memberships, lists, rosters, dues, secret handshakes, hazing rituals, etc. As soon as you show up, delcare your intention to do something--you are a WISHer.

I've been thinking of my goals for 2012 and reflecting back on 2011. I give 2011 a C-. On the one hand, I ran Boston! This was a wonderful experience, and even though my race was less than I hoped, I still had a great time. But on the other hand, losing 5 months of running to a herniated disk really sucked. It messed with my body and mind.

2012 has started out well, though, so here's hoping it continues that way. As for goals: still sorta TBD. Stay healthy is one--but I'm not sure how much control I really have over that!

So what does anyone else plan to do this year?

Maura
Maura, hope this year is much better for you.

AFM, 2011 started great with my first Dopey. The marathon was also my first and finished under 5hrs. walking. Things were going well until bicycle crash April 2nd. Sixteen weeks later the 24/7 neck collar finally came off but still have problems today along with other crash related issues.

2012 started by completing my 2nd. Dopey and 2nd. marathon but due to lack of preparation I had knee and calf problems. Finally got out today for a 3.5 miler and feeling better. 50/60 mile bicycle ride tomorrow then 10K or 15K on Sunday.

Have a 5K in 3weeks, 1/2 marathon relay with DW in early March followed by a 1/2 Ironman Duathlon 2 weeks later. April is Derby Festival 1/2 Marathon, Sept. is ToT 10 Miler, Oct. is W&D Half M, Nov. is Space Coast Half M and might include some other Duathlon events. Would like to try a small triathlon but bicycle crash added to the problems with shoulder that orthopaedic said only a replacement would solve.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #345
chimera
WISH Racing Team Member
If I wear a Cumulus on one foot and a Nimbus on the other, will there be thunderstorms during my run?

I go away for awhile and you guys get rid of the hazing rituals??

I've been keeping up with folks on FB so not spending as much time here. I'm not working this month and won't go back to fulltime til Sept, so you may be stuck with me more often for awhile.

Can I just say, Maura is a fabulous relay partner! That was one of the most fun Disney races I've run in a long time.

My personal race goal is 50 half marathons by the time I turn 50. Last weekend was #20 so I just need 5ish per year to make it (July 2018). I'm thinking to do the full that year as a cap off since it should be the 25th anniversary.

Next up is Princess to maintain perfect princess status and NC Half. Considering RunRaleigh and Flying Pig, then one in June would level me up in Half Fanatics. And then there's fall!
chimera is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: