Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Hong Kong Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #46
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Well, Hmm.. not sure what to make of all that food. Never tried any of it. So I guess I can say
Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #47
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

I love red bean
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #48
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
I love red bean
I have wanted to try the red bean ice cream, but was unsure how it would taste. But still curious.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise

Last edited by dgbg100106; 10-31-2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: stupid auto correct
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #49
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post

Given how far I could have taken this, I think my food boundaries are simple. I will NOT eat:
  • Four-legged animals; domesticated nor anything I might find in a zoo! (Farmed is fine!)
  • If it slithers or is 6-legged or 8-legged, not land-based and definitely not air-bourne. (Water slithering or swimming is fine!)
  • Intestines or sweetmeats, feet, necks or any internal liquid is strictly prohibited. I’m definitely not a nose to trotter type of pig (eater)!

Well….that pretty much leaves a diverse range of food items that I will indulge in.
I'd say this pretty much sums it up for me, although at Napa Rose Andrew Sutton slipped in some sweetbreads on one of our dishes and they were actually OK.

And I love slithering swimming meats! Eel and cucumber roll, bring it on! Even Fran will eat this one!

What about brains? I used to eat what is the sushi where they bring you the shrimp raw and then the heads tempura battered and fried? i used to love that one until a friend of mine took a bite out of the head and then said, "Ooooh what is that red thing in there?" Now I have to have a lot of sake before I order it! Ama-ebi! It is so delicious, but I hate it that I have to be good and pliable before I order it now, it is so good!

Although I realize none of this is Chinese food, or Hong Kong, but I won't eat Shark's fin, not because of squeamish, but because of the awful harvesting practices. Fine if they would serve up the whole shark, but not that they cut off the fin just for that and let the poor animal die, what a waste anyways, I love shark!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:22 AM   #50
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
I have wanted to try the red bean ice cream, but was unsure how it woikd taste. But still curious.
I'm not one to be adventurous with food. But I do love red bean.
Red bean icecream is a good introduction. The hot soup is LOVELY but the icecream will be sweeter and 'milder' usually hence introducing you to it.

I don't eat slippery and slithery things
Old 10-31-2011, 04:35 AM   #51
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne View Post
oh dear, dont mention the aulani word - originally this hk trip was going to be an aulani trip but given we are 2 students who also work @ dominos and raise 2 kids, it just wasnt going to happen this time ( although i am tempted to save madly when i get back from HK and take the other half to aulani in 2 years time!)

OH princess in oz - was jsut on that HK website u linked in - the AUD is very strong right now apparently ( averaging 8.4HKD to the aud) - makes things a little easier when everything is so cheap!

i cant wait, i have a mad case of itchy feet and disneyfever - plus it will be amanda's first time at disney park and her first time in a country that has a primary language other than english - should be fun to watch!
Adrienne.

My DS will also be in a country that has a primary language other than English. Fun.to.watch is NOT exactly the phrase that comes to mind!

Phig.Chans.Hee.Cly. is probably more likely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Well, Hmm.. not sure what to make of all that food. Never tried any of it. So I guess I can say

Next time I'm in San Francisco, you and me are going to Chinatown for Dim Sum!

No.Chans.Orf.Yew. slithering out of it!

Quote:
I love red bean
Yeah. Does Red Bean love you back???

Quote:
I have wanted to try the red bean ice cream, but was unsure how it woikd taste. But still curious.
Quote:
Red bean icecream is a good introduction. The hot soup is LOVELY but the icecream will be sweeter and 'milder' usually hence introducing you to it.
What she said. I love red bean too. The ice cream is really mild in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I'd say this pretty much sums it up for me, although at Napa Rose Andrew Sutton slipped in some sweetbreads on one of our dishes and they were actually OK.

And I love slithering swimming meats! Eel and cucumber roll, bring it on! Even Fran will eat this one!

What about brains? I used to eat what is the sushi where they bring you the shrimp raw and then the heads tempura battered and fried? i used to love that one until a friend of mine took a bite out of the head and then said, "Ooooh what is that red thing in there?" Now I have to have a lot of sake before I order it! Ama-ebi! It is so delicious, but I hate it that I have to be good and pliable before I order it now, it is so good!

Although I realize none of this is Chinese food, or Hong Kong, but I won't eat Shark's fin, not because of squeamish, but because of the awful harvesting practices. Fine if they would serve up the whole shark, but not that they cut off the fin just for that and let the poor animal die, what a waste anyways, I love shark!

Unagi and me..... . Too bad for the unagi, though. I am getting to love cucumber roll too.

I hate the thought of a shark fin being harvested too. We have a "shark" here that is used for fish meat, as in fish and chips. It's called Flake. There's a lot of Flake sold in fish and chips shops.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:39 AM   #52
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post

Yeah. Does Red Bean love you back???

It's no worse than baked beans
Old 10-31-2011, 04:45 AM   #53
PrincessInOz
in

OT - Halloween in Oz: American Style

OT - Halloween in Oz: Trunk or Treat

Yesterday, we headed out to enjoy a little bit of Americana culture in Oz. We joined the American Women's Association Trunk or Treat fund raiser for Halloween. Aside from the entry fee, we were asked to provide 250+ pieces of individually wrapped candy (or lollies as they are called here) and decorate our car trunk (or boot as it is known here).

This represents my stash of candy:

I'd tried to source spooky halloween related stuff...in the end it was surprisingly easier than I thought as one of the Aussie stores had decided to bring a whole set it. The trick was to get in early as most of this candy had sold out within 3 days of it hitting the shelves. How do I know? I went back to get more and there were none left!

The Skeleton Pops were a major hit with the teenage and tween set!

My back-up to the Skeleton pops were popular...but only after the other pops disappeared.

Marshmallow type sweets were also very popular for those with food allergies.

And these gums just disappeared off my plates!

Some of the candy on my plate!

Skeleton pops looked great in this cauldren.

And....notice the other pumpkin container. I filled that with Freddo Frog chocolates....which were the only chocolate I had on offer. Would you believe it was the LAST to be snaffled by the kids?

(Continued in Next Post)

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 10-31-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:49 AM   #54
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

The American's Women Association did a great job in yesterday's event. About the only thing wrong with it? The weather!

It was a cold and stormy afternoon....mizzle was definitely in the air.....and I figure, with the wind chill, we were down in the mid 40's yesterday.

But we were there for a party!

There were raffles to buy...

Games to partake in...

The decorations ranged from kitschy to great!

The jumping castle always had a queue....until it was time to collect candy.

Adults and children dressed up.

Even the occassional dog...

We were fed pizza, oreos and there was heaps of bottled water. The pizza was delivered from a local store and the organisers catered for 3 slices per person. It was about right.

Yesterday when I was there, I had thought there were about 50 - 75 cars. Looking at these pictures, I think I underestimated the amount. I reckon 125 is probably closer to what was there. This shot was taken halfway down the 'drive'.

This one is looking back down the opposite side of the 'drive'....

....and around the bend closer to the entrance.

A great time was had by all!

(Continued in Next Post)

Old 10-31-2011, 04:55 AM   #55
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

But what did the trunks look like? Well....I took pictures (of course I did...why else did I go??)

This was our trunk.

Here are some of the others....and there were heaps more that I didn't take a picture of. But this will give you an idea of the kitschy to the not so kitschy!

We had a great time at the event. DS had a ball....he sure came home with a stack of candy....I reckon it rivals the stack I got at MNSSHP last year!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #56
dgbg100106

Quote:

I don't eat slippery and slithery things
We go to the international market alot, and buy our produce, and all my Asian ingredients, and I always see tons of Red Bean items.... I will try the ice cream soon...

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #57
dgbg100106

The trunk or treat pictures look great....

Some people went all out in decorating. Glad you all had a great time...

Tonight I will sit on my patio with my DH and neighbors and have cocktails as we pass out candy to the children...

2013 Cruising adventures
Old 10-31-2011, 09:22 AM   #58
SCHBR'smom
My mind is as clear and focused as.... oh, look

You can ignore my chores, too

Looks like a lot of fun! We have trick or treating tonight. Due to the crazy amounts of candy 6 kids can bring home, we are trying to limit the number of houses. We are bribing them with going out to dinner after tot.

I have one question. Are there sombreros in the trunk of one of those cars?

You may now call me SCHBRVM'smom.
SCHBR'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #59
OziJo
Mouseketeer

How did I miss you started another PTR?! And it's already 4 pages long!!

Looking forward to reading about your Hong Kong Disney plans and in 5months time when Disney is a distant memory for me and I am pining and wondering how I can start planning another trip I can come here and read about your trip.

BTW it's lunchtime and your Yum Cha or (should that be Dim Sum) photos are making me hungry.

Wonderful time at Fort wilderness- A mini TR with Pictures

My Jan 2012 PTR. We Are Coming from the Land Down Under!

Jan 2012 WDW Fort Wilderness Cabins DH DD1/18 DD2/15 DD3/13 and Me
2009 Disneyland with DH & DD1,2 & 3; 2001 Disneyland DD1 with her DGma and dance troupe; 1992 Disneyland with DH & DD1 an unknown passenger after our European trip.
OziJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #60
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
We go to the international market alot, and buy our produce, and all my Asian ingredients, and I always see tons of Red Bean items.... I will try the ice cream soon...
If you do, I'll be interested to find out what you thought of it.

Quote:
The trunk or treat pictures look great....

Some people went all out in decorating. Glad you all had a great time...

Tonight I will sit on my patio with my DH and neighbors and have cocktails as we pass out candy to the children...

Were you cold or were the cocktails more than sufficient to keep you warm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHBR'smom View Post
Looks like a lot of fun! We have trick or treating tonight. Due to the crazy amounts of candy 6 kids can bring home, we are trying to limit the number of houses. We are bribing them with going out to dinner after tot.

I have one question. Are there sombreros in the trunk of one of those cars?

Oh...yes...6 alphabets....I'm trying to imagine 6 times the amount of candy my DS came home with....YIKES!

Those are sombreros in the trunk of one of those cars. We have a mexican chain restaurant, Taco Bills, in Oz. For some reason, they were there and handing out sombreros, together with 25% off vouchers, to ALL the adults and kids. I guess that car owner just put them into the open trunk; rather than carrying them around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OziJo View Post
How did I miss you started another PTR?! And it's already 4 pages long!!

Looking forward to reading about your Hong Kong Disney plans and in 5months time when Disney is a distant memory for me and I am pining and wondering how I can start planning another trip I can come here and read about your trip.

BTW it's lunchtime and your Yum Cha or (should that be Dim Sum) photos are making me hungry.

I had some har wonton tong mihm (prawn dumpling soup noodles) for lunch.

I've been sneaking in here and updating the PTR. I'm not even sure how it got to 4 pages already!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: