Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Hong Kong Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2011, 03:22 AM   #31
Adrienne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post

Now, I think I understood most of the above...except for kludgie. Are we talkin' about the Scottish venacular definition for this word?

If so, then - PK - I'd like to see a picture of the kludgie that your phat bahookie broke.

:
as a aussie who has a scottish mother i can certainly say that yes a kludgie is a toilet.
HONG KONG DISNEYLAND! - feb 2012 with beautiful lover girl
Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:57 AM   #32
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Maybe Qantas will have to get cheaper to lure lost customers back.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2011, 04:03 AM   #33
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
People keep saying "I'll never fly QANTAS again!"

But despite engine explosions, strikes, flights grounded midflight due to countless incidents...people still pay a PREMIUM to fly Qantas...

Ansett imploded about 10 years ago...there are disturbing similarities to the chain of events that caused that happening here.
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:49 AM   #34
Adrienne
Mouseketeer

yeah i remember when ansett collapsed ( plus i have read a detailed account of it in a book that i now cant remember the name of)

ansett may well have survived its last incarnation if it hadnt been for the way in which airnewzealand treated it, and oh yeah that 9/11 incident in the US as well also helped put the final nail in the coffin.

i'm not religious but here's hoping, god willing, that we NEVER have another one of those situations.

Ansett was my all time fave airline - i was a member of Ansett Starship Crew ( their kids fan club) and when it folded (ASC, not ansett) they gave us all 2 free mystery flight tickets. that was the first time i ever got to go to sydney (at 11 and i thought i was so cool cause i got to take the day off school to do it!).
Old 10-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #35
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
Yeah...that's fun...but best done by mocking you inbetween

I can help you with where the Starbucks are in Tsim Sha Tsei
Somehow....you mocking me....has a rather familiar ring to it!

Starbucks? You know...it might not be a bad idea to know where the Golden Arches and Seattle Coffee are in HK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I don't know, if hotels offer cats in the rooms I'm more than happy to choose that over other hotels. When we went to New Zealand, we stayed at a wonderful bed a breakfast where they had two houses on the property and we had one and the host had the other. There was the cutest cat who hung out at the guest house, he was very friendly and only had three legs, we named him tri'pawed. On our last day he brought us a gift of a caught mouse. We had shared our steaks that I cooked with him and the night that the hosts cooked us bison we also shared with him. He took a fancy to us and would come join us in bed the mornings that we chose to sleep in. He was very affectionate. I love to meet a feline on vacations!
Sadly, cat hotels are non-existent all over the world. And I will definitely NOT be taking any 4-legged animals into HK...particularly near any restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne View Post
they better not kill the airline - i have a trip planned from the same sale as this one, in feb, and about 300,000 ff points to burn in 4 years time to go to orlando b4 the airline is allowed to self destruct.

Adrienne

Hello fellow Aussie traveller! Looks like you'll get to HK before me. Do lots of research when you're there and tell me all about it!
Feel free to share on this PTR as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Qantas is NOT cheap...never has been; never will be.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #36
PrincessInOz
in

”So much time, so little to do!”…Willy Wonka got it right the first time round!

”So much time, so little to do! Strike that, reverse it!”…Willy Wonka got it right the first time round!

Unlike planning for *ahem* Anaheim or for *cough* Orlando, planning for *um* Hong Kong is not as simple as checking other PTRs nor posing a question on the Dis to return the next day and find that World War 3 has raged on your thread, which has now been locked, and potentially Dis-sers baying for blood…probably yours.

For those of you that have wandered into this PTR, you may have noticed that this sub-sub-sub forum for Hong Kong Disneyland currently contains a grand total of 48 threads and a grand total of 613 posts at present.

Yee..ea...aah! The recent Dis server upgrade really had to add those extra super gigantuanbytes to take the HKDL subforum requirements into account.

Let me repeat that again…613 posts at time of this post. I think I average 600 posts a week! I’ll even wager that by the time I’m done with my TR and knowing y’all, we all may have more than doubled the post count on this sub-forum.

And even worse….none of the threads in this subforum even remotely resemble a PTR.
Now how-(the-heck-am-I-supposed-to-properly-plan-for-this-trip)-brown cow?

Thanks to my LASTing friend-in-a-box, that Little Miss Positive DIVA has pointed me in the direction of a website. So, for those of you that are lurking and also planning a sojourn to Hong Kong, if you haven’t already done so, check out the Discover Hong Kong website. The front page will give you the option to select your country of origin. For those Aussies, this link here is for the Australian version Index.

So far, I’ve made my way to the Plan Your Trip>Interactive Itinerary Planner section and have found it to be a pretty handy tool.
You start by making a choice of what type of holiday you’re after and then enter the number of days. The tool then comes up with a suggested itinerary on a day-by-day basis of the different sights around Hong Kong.

But guess what I've learnt?

The maximum number of days that the tool allows you to enter is that number ‘phat’ or 8!

By my count, I am staying 11 nights in Hong Kong. Evidently this Planner does not think anyone would stay longer than 8 days in Hong Kong. I’m guessing that this might be a case of “So Much Time, So little to Do!”

Hmmmm….wonder what I’ll be doing for 3 extra days??? Oh...the I-R-O-N-Y!

(It’s okay…..it was just a rhetorical question. I’m pretty sure we’ll be able to fill up our time! Disney, Shopping, Disney, Eating, Disney, Disney, Disney etc.)

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 10-29-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #37
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Hmmmm….wonder what I’ll be doing for 3 extra days??? Oh...the I-R-O-N-Y!
Get some custom clothes made? In they states you always hear people talking about their "Hong Kong Tailors".
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #38
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

That was my plan for my 4 day sojourn......
However the one I was directed to through a friend of my TA was....well....less than inspiring. The one I would trust was $$$$

It's partially a regret. I didn't managed to get something made. But that $300 (minimum) suit isn't required in my industry turns out. So I'm ok with having kept the $$$

PIO I remember you mentioning Macau. But unless you want to see a Made in China version of Vegas. There is little to see. The 'history' is mostly damaged or simply a facade
Why I crossed it off the list...

I know I desperately needed more shopping time though. So you'll fill the time no worries :thumbup2

If you visit big budda. You can get Seattle coffee there
The food menu at Starbucks in HK is second to none.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #39
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

3 days cant help you I have never been there. Your on your own.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #40
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Joining in from your other TR - glad to see you have a trip going. HK seems way more exciting than a trip to the states...but maybe that's because the US is home for me. It's certainly a lot closer than coming to the US. Probably no (or small) time zone change either, which seems nice as well. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the time change for traveling to Australia. (So....If it's 10 AM in Sydney, it's 8 PM in Buffalo...but 8 PM Yesterday? )

Pretty cool that your parents are coming along - though what does DH think about that? (Disney AND In-laws...been there, done that, got the souvenir photopass. )

SkierPete

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #41
Adrienne
Mouseketeer

@skierpete - HK is the same time zone as Perth (western australia) so for me in Adelaide its a -2.5 hr time diff and from the eastern states where princess is it should be a -3 hr time diff to what she is used to

PrincessinOz - where are you staying - i just booked accomodation last night for our trip - much closer in than i would have preffered. we were limited to $200Aud a night so we chose the marriott at skycity - close to airport and out let shopping!

has its own airport shuttle!

it has another free shuttle - goes to disneyland one a day in each direction, and a half hourly shuttle to and from tung chung MTR station (about a 5 to 10 min shuttle ride apparently), which connects to the Disneyland train line, as well as into central station.

ended up being 1270HKD a night and its a 5 star hotel! we were impressed!!! ( about $150AUD).
Old 10-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #42
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Get some custom clothes made? In they states you always hear people talking about their "Hong Kong Tailors".
I'm thinking about it. Sometimes having custom clothes made in HK isn't necessarily the best thing. The trick is finding the right tailor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
That was my plan for my 4 day sojourn......
However the one I was directed to through a friend of my TA was....well....less than inspiring. The one I would trust was $$$$

It's partially a regret. I didn't managed to get something made. But that $300 (minimum) suit isn't required in my industry turns out. So I'm ok with having kept the $$$

PIO I remember you mentioning Macau. But unless you want to see a Made in China version of Vegas. There is little to see. The 'history' is mostly damaged or simply a facade
Why I crossed it off the list...

I know I desperately needed more shopping time though. So you'll fill the time no worries :thumbup2

If you visit big budda. You can get Seattle coffee there
The food menu at Starbucks in HK is second to none.

Macau is on my list. With the extra time I have, we will have more than enough time to head there and to Shenzhen as well. I want to see the Portugeuse Fort and just check it out. At least then I can say that I've been there; rather than not knowing.

I think we'll do the big buddha from Disney/Lantau. It's not that far from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
3 days cant help you I have never been there. Your on your own.

Technically, I'll be there with my parents, DH and DS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Joining in from your other TR - glad to see you have a trip going. HK seems way more exciting than a trip to the states...but maybe that's because the US is home for me. It's certainly a lot closer than coming to the US. Probably no (or small) time zone change either, which seems nice as well. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the time change for traveling to Australia. (So....If it's 10 AM in Sydney, it's 8 PM in Buffalo...but 8 PM Yesterday? )

Pretty cool that your parents are coming along - though what does DH think about that? (Disney AND In-laws...been there, done that, got the souvenir photopass. )

SkierPete

It's still a 9 hour flight from Melbourne to HK, with a 3 hour time change. HK and Tokyo are the closest Disney sites to Melbourne. DLR is 14 hours away and even Aulani is going to be about 11 hours.

And yes...when you leave the US to get to Oz, you'll lose a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne View Post
@skierpete - HK is the same time zone as Perth (western australia) so for me in Adelaide its a -2.5 hr time diff and from the eastern states where princess is it should be a -3 hr time diff to what she is used to

PrincessinOz - where are you staying - i just booked accomodation last night for our trip - much closer in than i would have preffered. we were limited to $200Aud a night so we chose the marriott at skycity - close to airport and out let shopping!

has its own airport shuttle!

it has another free shuttle - goes to disneyland one a day in each direction, and a half hourly shuttle to and from tung chung MTR station (about a 5 to 10 min shuttle ride apparently), which connects to the Disneyland train line, as well as into central station.

ended up being 1270HKD a night and its a 5 star hotel! we were impressed!!! ( about $150AUD).
I haven't actually picked out accomodation yet. I would like to spend 3 nights at HKDL and then the rest of the time in HK proper. Still haven't decided where. As we're going in March/April, there aren't any deals at the moment for accomodation. I might wait and see what happens....and in the meantime, more research!

Old 10-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #43
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

I found the outlets disappointing and being near the airport is not good for actually getting to the rest of the city. It's certainly nothing much to see there at night.
Sure the trains are easy. And yes Disneyland is close to the airport. But I wouldn't stay near the airport.

Hence thinking central or Tsim sha tsui is better...
Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #44
PrincessInOz
in

”If it has got four legs, two wings and it swims!”…Prince Phillip is nearly Right!

”If it has got four legs, two wings and it swims!”…Prince Phillip is nearly Right!

“If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it." Prince Phillip

That most politically correct and diplomatic of Royalty, Prince Phillip, never really suffers from foot in mouth disease….more than once a month….is my inspirational quote for this post. The quote might have been from 1986….but it shows how characterization can colour one’s perception of things.

As an Asian, I feel compelled to right some of the inaccuracies of his quote.
  1. Firstly, it’s not a Chair! Asians use STOOLS or they squat!
  2. And if he had said a KITE, that would have been more appropriate than an Aeroplane.
  3. A Submarine? Really - you’d think he’d know that it’s JUNKS that the Chinese sail!

Let’s face it…..Asians have picked up the unsavoury reputation of eating bizarre and weird foods. I guess it’s a case of “what is someone’s offal, is a Chinese delicacy”. From every possible animal on earth through to snake’s blood and monkey brains, it would seem that the question of where to eat incorporates the question of what to eat; and more pertinently….what am I eating?

Being of Asian descent myself, the question of “what am I eating?” takes on a completely different meaning when you consider that as a child, I did enjoy the occasional pig’s-brain-steamed-with-egg dish, chicken feet (seems tame!) and even the odd unrecognizable animal’s meat.

However, I have long considered myself as a Banana (yellow on the outside, white inside); and my food boundaries as an adult are much more mainstream these days.

Given how far I could have taken this, I think my food boundaries are simple. I will NOT eat:
  • Four-legged animals; domesticated nor anything I might find in a zoo! (Farmed is fine!)
  • If it slithers or is 6-legged or 8-legged, not land-based and definitely not air-bourne. (Water slithering or swimming is fine!)
  • Intestines or sweetmeats, feet, necks or any internal liquid is strictly prohibited. I’m definitely not a nose to trotter type of pig (eater)!

Well….that pretty much leaves a diverse range of food items that I will indulge in.

Of the ‘phat’ or 8 culinary traditions of China, Hong Kong food has its roots in Yue cuisine. This regional/culinary tradition covers the provinces of Hong Kong SAR and Guandong.

We are talking Cantonese cuisine here, folks. Meats such as beef, pork and chicken are the main proteins…but Cantonese food also incorporates organ meat, chicken feet, snakes and snails. Steaming and Stir Frying are the main cooking methods of this cuisine.

For flavour enhancement, Cantonese cuisine traditionally uses scallions, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine, sesame oil, corn starch, vinegar, salt and sugar in their cooking. You will find the occasional use of ginger, 5-spice powder, chilli powder and star anise..but sparingly.

I expect to be enjoying a variety of deep fried dishes….although I tend to prefer the steamed (jing) or stir-fried (chaau) stuff.

Cantonese or Chinese cuisine also includes items that have been slow cooked. This is particularly true of soups…savoury and sweet. The Chinese are not known for their desserts but I have to admit that I am incredibly partial to a spare rib soup or a sweet red bean soup (hong dau shui) or a sweet potato soup (fan shu tong shui) that has been slow cooked for a while.

Many Chinese restaurants feature live seafood tanks….where you will be able to make your selection of the fish or shellfish of your choice….only to have it cooked by the chef and brought to your table, within 20 minutes! My favourite way of eating seafood, particularly whole fish (yuu), is usually steamed (jing) with soy, ginger and scallions.

Noodles (mihn) will be an absolute must! Stir fried or with soup….I enjoy it all. Above all else, I expect to be partaking noodles from the street vendors, preferably late at night!

BBQ meats (char yok), usually pork, pork and more pork, with some duck (ahp) thrown in; will all be dishes I will be expecting to eat on this trip.
Traditional dishes include:

Rice Congee (chuok) – more a breakfast food for me.

Sweet and Sour – DS loves this!

Stir fry vegetables …

…or vegetables blanched with then served up with oyster sauce.

Without a doubt, the experience most associated with Chinatowns all over the world is the Dim Sum. Dim Sum literally translates to “Heart’s Delight” or to warm your heart. It refers to the experience you will enjoy where you watch servers push around carts of food in bamboo baskets still steaming from the cooking process. You wait until the server gets to your table and pick the baskets you want to eat.

In Australia, this experience is called Yum Cha. The literal translation of this is to “drink tea”. I’ve never worked out why the Aussies have chosen to call the experience Yum Cha when the rest of the China-world calls it Dim Sum. I just live here…and I go with the flow.

I hadn’t realized it till now…but I do NOT have many pictures of the little heart’s delights in my collection of pictures. I had to swipe the above picture off the internet. This is definitely something that I will need to fix during this trip!

For those of you going and wondering what to order, here are some of my favourites (well....photos I had in my collection to date).

On this plate, you’ll find the prawn noodles (har cheong) and prawn dumplings (har gow).

These are usually made from rice flour, with different fillings inside e.g., beef (ngau yok) or pork (yok) or vegetables (chai).

For the noodles (har fun), there will also be the option to order the BBQ pork variety (char siu cheong).

You might also find baskets with these sorts of items…steamed buns (bao or pow)..

I like the roast pork buns (char siu bao) and my son loves the custard buns (lai wong bao)

You can also find baos that have been fried on the carts; but I usually prefer the steamed ones.

We will also be ordering the Lotus Leaf glutinous rice (lo mai gai). These parcels are usually steamed and contain glutinous rice, egg yolk, mushroom and a protein (chicken or pork).

The carts will also come round with sweet dim sums…we normally get these towards the end of our experience and always try to fit in the custard tarts (daan tart), tofu with sugar syrup (dau fu far) and the mango pudding (mong go pud-ding).

Another foodie experience that I’m looking forward to will be the sumptuous multi-course Chinese dinners. I suspect that we might end up with at least one if not two of these experiences in our time there.

I certainly hope to come back with a wider selection of food porn during this trip. One this is for certain….I think I’m coming back with a “phat”-ter bahookie!

Old 10-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #45
Adrienne
Mouseketeer

oh dear, dont mention the aulani word - originally this hk trip was going to be an aulani trip but given we are 2 students who also work @ dominos and raise 2 kids, it just wasnt going to happen this time ( although i am tempted to save madly when i get back from HK and take the other half to aulani in 2 years time!)

OH princess in oz - was jsut on that HK website u linked in - the AUD is very strong right now apparently ( averaging 8.4HKD to the aud) - makes things a little easier when everything is so cheap!

i cant wait, i have a mad case of itchy feet and disneyfever - plus it will be amanda's first time at disney park and her first time in a country that has a primary language other than english - should be fun to watch!

Adrienne.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: