Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #91
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Food and Wine Booths

After our 2 hour morning break, we headed back into EPCOT.

Our first stop was the Caribbean Booth for the Frozen Rock Coconut Mojito & Dragonberry Colada

My husband had picked the mojito and enjoyed it but he liked my colada a lot more!

Our next stop was South Korea for some food.
We got the BBQ Beef w/ Rice & the Lettuce Wrap

Both were excellent! I really liked the lettuce wrap and my husband enjoyed the beef.

Next up was an encoure of the Cheese stand for the Cheese fondue for me!

Loved it again.

My husband went to the Germany Booth & picked up a beer & an apple streusel

He liked his beer & his streusel had a ton of apple in it.

Last up for our booths this afternoon was Belgium for my husband. He got the beer flight + waffle. They were out of the truffles.

He liked the waffle - hated the beers. But at least he knows now he doesn't like them.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:12 AM   #92
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Oh now I really want a Mickey Cake Pop
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #93
danissmart
Mouseketeer

Outstanding reviews. Very very helpful.

One quick question. Where on earth are you resting your South Korean food? It looks like a pile of junk from someone's attic.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #94
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Oh now I really want a Mickey Cake Pop
They are really good! I'm glad I split it though as it was really rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danissmart View Post
Outstanding reviews. Very very helpful.

One quick question. Where on earth are you resting your South Korean food? It looks like a pile of junk from someone's attic.
Glad you are enjoying my reviews. I was resting my South Korean food at the African Outpost Coke Area display. All the tables & benches in the area were taken so we had a choice of the trash can or that coke display. I took the cleaner choice.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #95
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Italy Dessert & Wine Pairing

After we finished with the booths, we stopped by the DisMeet @ the Slushie Stand in France & met everyone. We didn't drink anything and shortly left to head to Italy for our Dessert & Wine Pairing. I had done the Food & Beer for my husband, he was doing this for me.

We checked in and were eventually led in the back room at Tutto Italia. They had crowded in a lot of tables to the point I was glad I didn't have to go to the bathroom as I would have been unable to get out of that chair until people from my table got out too.

The host from the Food & Beer Pairing did this event too which was great as he is a great host.

The winery's rep also spoke about the wines & how 3 of the 4 wines are just entering the market or entering the market in the US in 2012.

All the wines were dessert wines on the sweeter side.

First course was Tiramisu.

This was paired with Batasiolo Asti. This was one of the better Tiramisu I've had in my life. I liked the Asti.

Second course was a Cannoli.

It was paired with the Batasiolo Moscato. We were instructed to eat the Cannoli with our fingers as thats how the italians do it. It was extremely rich & I don't think anyone at our table was able to finish it. This was also the only wine my husband liked enough to finish the entire glass.

Third course was the Panna Cotta

It was paired with the Batasiolo Moscato Rose. I didn't really like this dish but I really don't like panna cotta. Just seems like a strange pudding to me, which I also don't like. My husband did love it though and finished his entire dish.

Our final course were a set of cookies.

Paired with the Sparkling Red. The wine reminded me of Rosa Regale so that is fun. The cookies were eh. It seemed like a bad note to end the event on as it wasn't anywhere near the par of the other desserts.

Overall, I liked the event enough. The desserts weren't really creative though as they were typical Italian desserts - I wish there was some creativity there. I may do it again next year depending on the cost and what else is going on.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #96
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Brown Derby F&W Signature Dinner

After the Italian Dessert & Wine, my husband and I parted ways and I headed over to Hollywood Studios to fill time before my signature dinner. I went to Brown Derby around 5:45pm & attempted to check in to find out the front desk had absolutely no clue what I was talking about. Through some confusion I was told to come back in like 30 minutes.

Came back & talk to the hostess again along with Abby (cbg1027) and were told to wait until they were ready. We eventually saw the manager wandering around to find everyone where we eventually caught her & she figured out we needed to go with her. The entire group was lead to the Bamboo Room in the back of the restaurant. Abby & I were sat with an older couple at the 4 top around the corner.

Menu

The chef, manager & winery did their talks. What was really interesting about the winery is how it was so tied to Walt Disney & Hollywood. I felt it was well placed for them to be apart of the Hollywood Brown Derby Dinner. The daughter was there to represent the winery.

Our first glass of wine was poured - MacMurray Ranch Pinot Gris to be paired with the Amuse Bouche

It was a herb polenta cake w/ a mushroom & fig ragout on top of wilted greens.

I really enjoyed the polenta cake especially with the Pinot Gris.

Bread & Butter

Our glasses for the MacMurray Ranch Chardonnay were poured next in preparation for the cheese course.

From left to right - Manchego Cheese w/ Apple Slaw, Cypress Grove Purple Haze w/ Dates, Affine Blue Cheese Walnut

It was a bit weird to have a cheese course so early as I'm used to seeing it after the entree but it worked out alright.

We were then given our sorbet - a grapefruit chardonnay sorbet.

It was very tart & worked well for clearing the pallet for the next courses.

For our appetizer, we returned to the Pinot Gris from the amuse.

Serrano Crusted Black Tiger Prawn w/ Tarragon Lobster Nage

To quote the manager's favorite word of the evening - it was FAB-UUU-LOUS!
I'm not the biggest fan of lobster or lobster soups but with that wonderfully crusted prawn it worked for me. I think almost everyone wanted seconds.

After those were cleared away, we had both of the Pinot Noir's poured. This was to allow us to taste and compare how the worked with the dishes. I liked the Wine Maker's Block Selection more than their normal Pinot Noir.

Our fish course was Crispy Rosemary Loch Buart Salmon w/ Braised Cabbage, Applewood Smoked Bacon, Shallots & Currents

I loved it! The Salmon had crushed fennel seeds to give it its crispness.

For our entree we had a Porcini Crusted Venison Chop.

It was on top of a pumpkin & squash pancake w/ a pinot noir jam.

This was awesome.

Our tables were then cleared in preparation for dessert.
We were given a LaMarca Prosecco.

Our dessert was a trio.

First up was a Tangerine Lemongrass Sphere

You had to eat this by putting the entire thing in your mouth and then squeezing to have the flavor burst out.

This also caused a bad joke for a very drunk woman that isn't exactly dis friendly.

The 2nd part of the trio was a Orange Chocolate Mousse w/ Frangelico Milk Chocolate Sauce

So good! The orange chocolate with the chocolate sauce were amazing.

The last part of the trio was an ice cream made with the Proscecco we were currently enjoying with this course.

It was a light and refreshing way to finish the meal.

The chefs came out during the dessert course and finished their presentation.

They had one more surprise for us - a goodie bag!

Which had a mini decanter glass, wine opener, chocolates & some of the Brown Derby recipes. We were also given photos of everyone w/ the winery host.

It was an amazing meal from start to finish. I would do it again in a heartbeat!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #97
jeminni
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

Wow, your signature dinner looked amazing. I would so love to do that.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #98
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

That Brown Derby signature meal looks out of this world. All of the courses look delicious. And I love that they gave you a little goody bag, especially with recipes, how cool!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #99
mama03
DIS Veteran

YEAH, the first signature dinner report that I have seen. It looked wonderful. The Tangerine sphere looked like an egg yolk. Okay, um I so want to get a good laugh. Can you just pm me what the happy drunk woman said?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #100
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

I love MacMurray Ranch wines, I've been to a lot of their Wine Dinners at Disneyland Restaurants and their wines are great. There really is a lot that ties the winery and Disney together.

The meal looked a lot better than it read on the menu. As I read that I was thinking, "I'm really glad I hadn't planned on going to this one" but as I looked at the pictures everything looked pretty good!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #101
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama03 View Post
YEAH, the first signature dinner report that I have seen. It looked wonderful. The Tangerine sphere looked like an egg yolk. Okay, um I so want to get a good laugh. Can you just pm me what the happy drunk woman said?
Me too?
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 10-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #102
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminni View Post
Wow, your signature dinner looked amazing. I would so love to do that.
It really was amazing! I'm so glad I did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
That Brown Derby signature meal looks out of this world. All of the courses look delicious. And I love that they gave you a little goody bag, especially with recipes, how cool!
It was out of this world! I was a bit nervous about it being its initial event but they did a decent job of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama03 View Post
Hopefully some others post their signature dinner reports soon. It was great!

PM Sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I love MacMurray Ranch wines, I've been to a lot of their Wine Dinners at Disneyland Restaurants and their wines are great. There really is a lot that ties the winery and Disney together.

The meal looked a lot better than it read on the menu. As I read that I was thinking, "I'm really glad I hadn't planned on going to this one" but as I looked at the pictures everything looked pretty good!
I didn't realize they did a lot of wine dinners for them out at Disneyland! Maybe one of these days I'll make it out there to visit Disneyland and maybe a wine dinner will be going on at this time.

I think the winner of bad menus this trip will be the French Regional Lunch I went to. You may be glad you missed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Me too?
Sent!
Old 10-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #103
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
I didn't realize they did a lot of wine dinners for them out at Disneyland! Maybe one of these days I'll make it out there to visit Disneyland and maybe a wine dinner will be going on at this time.

I think the winner of bad menus this trip will be the French Regional Lunch I went to. You may be glad you missed it!
Well back when we had the F&W Festival there was different Wine dinner at Steakhouse 55 in the DLH every Friday. By the last festival we had, they even made one a beer dinner and I had started attending most of them. There are other restaurants out there that do them, and just eating at the Napa Rose is like a wine dinner every night, just different wineries.

Hmmmmm, that's not good to hear about the lunch. I will be awaiting your review.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #104
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Boma

This morning my husband wanted a real breakfast. The night before after I got back from the dinner, we looked online to see what was available. He chose Boma so there we went!

We slept in until 8:00AM. That time is sleeping in for us on a normal basis too as our dogs make sure we never sleep later than 7:00AM. We headed to Animal Kingdom Lodge around 8:30am & checked in right on time for our 8:45AM reservation.

There was a large crowd at the podium checking in. It was very loud with lots of people running around in the restaurant.

We were seated in the far section of the restaurant and were greeted by a server in the area who went to get us juice while we visited the buffet.

While in line to get to a pod, the child in front of us dropped his plate and it shattered on the ground. The kid just ran away and the parents walked away too. I'm like seriously?

I didn't really want to eat much so I got a smaller plate than my husband's.

The potatoes were gross and cold.
My waffle was good.
The croissant (regular) was nice.
The chocolate croissant was eh.

I was going to get fruit on my plate but I saw a kid sneeze nearby it & it kinda turned me off.

I did love my POG juice & I think I drank like 3 glasses of the stuff!

My husband's plate:

He loved his eggs & waffle. The bacon was lacking (shock!) The chocolate chip muffin was good & he didn't like the pecan roll.

He didn't go up for seconds & thus I wondered why we even went to a buffet as we could have gone to Kona & got him something similar & with better coffee.

We would go back - we just would make sure we were a bit more hungry for breakfast & try to go when it first opens rather than in the middle of the morning.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #105
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

French Regional Lunch

After our breakfast we headed back to the room for a little while & began packing from our weeklong vacation & goofing off online.

I headed towards EPCOT around 11am & went through the France shops until I saw some of the people I knew from the disboards hanging out around the the pavilion and went and talked with them.

Sadly, I was not sat with them & they were unable to place me at that table. Instead, I got placed with a group of 3 friends that were travelling together & had done so for years so it was a bit awkward there.

Table Setting

The Menu

Bread

After everyone was seated & the first glass of wine poured, the speaker for the winery began talking. They served the amuse bouche during this time.

Amuse Bouche

It was an asparagus mousse.
It was refreshing and light as an amuse bouche should be & paired with the wine well.

The first course

Yup thats pig feet in there along with some veal wrapped and fried.
I do believe some people around the restaurant loved it. I personally hate pig's feet but I also live in middle georgia where some people try to put pig's feet in recipes they don't belong so I have a bias against them. Its one of the foods of my top 10 food hate list. The vegetables were tasty though.

The second course

Sauerkraut w/ Salmon, Monkfish & Smoked Haddock
Sauerkraut is also on my top 10 food hate list. (Other foods on this list include chicken feet, creamed corn, sardines, regular mayo, chicken livers, anchovies, pickles, headcheese)
The salmon was good - especially with the sauce that was used around the dish. I didn't enjoy the smoked haddock. The monkfish was ok.
I did really like the wine.

The cheese course

Comte
A strong nice cheese. I really liked it with the grapes as it balanced out its strong flavor.

The dessert.

Blueberry Flan
I liked the flan as it was nicely prepared. The sugar on top was really sticky in the teeth. The ice cream reminded me of the Flintstone Push Up Pops I had growing up so it was great!
The final wine wasn't sweet either which was great.

All the wine bottles

Overall, I think this individual lunch was a bust for me. I'm not really a picky eater but this just hit the jackpot on foods I hate. I realize that is also a risk you take when booking these type of events. I will book this event again as for the price point - you do get a really nice experience. Hopefully next year, I will get a better menu for my personal tastes.

I did enjoy a lot of the wine so I grabbed a taxi back to the room where I took a nap as rainy weather always makes me sleepy until it was time for us to get ready for the dessert party.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: