Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #16
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

If you can work it out, stay in the valley in Yosemite . . . DNC is the concessionaire. They ain't cheap, but location, location, location. There are condos for rent in a private development near the valley that is technically outside the park, but inside the "tol gate" entrances. Yosemite West?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #17
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Tripss View Post
If you can work it out, stay in the valley in Yosemite . . . DNC is the concessionaire. They ain't cheap, but location, location, location. There are condos for rent in a private development near the valley that is technically outside the park, but inside the "tol gate" entrances. Yosemite West?
What do you mean by the valley? Is there a resort/hotel that falls within this area?
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #18
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgers1 View Post
What do you mean by the valley? Is there a resort/hotel that falls within this area?
The highpoint of Yosemite, is the valley. The views looking up the granite faces are incredible. You drive down into it. It is where all of the accommodations and facilities are. It is also how you get to Yosemite Falls.

There are no resorts in Yosemite Valley. All accommodations, except for the Ahwahnee Hotel (very expensive), are basic motel type set ups, unless your camping. If you like nice hotels, you might want to consider staying outside the South Entrance to the park at the Tenaya Lodge. It sounds more to your taste. http://www.tenayalodge.com/
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #19
Esteri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa71 View Post
It looks like you are doing mostly Northen California...but as a So Cal native I would strongly suggest some time in San Diego if you could. Lots to do, beaches, nice weather, Legoland, San Diego Zoo...Los Angeles itself is weird and large, and some nice things...but Disneyland and San Diego rock!
And here, I was thinking how sad it is they're not getting to Northern CA, but it's simply not possible to "do" a state this large and varied in such a short time. I figure just about everything south of SF is "Southern California". Where to you draw your line? And... what do we call the no-man's land in between?

Offsite 1991 ~ Offsite 1993 ~ Shades of Green 1995 ~ DVC Member since 1999 ~
Shades of Green Oct 1999 ~ Old Key West Jan 2001 ~ Beach Club Villas Oct 2003 ~ Shades of Green / Disney Magic Aug 2006 ~ Old Key West Aug 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs May 2008 ~ Grand Californian 2008 ~ Disney Magic Through the Panama Canal Aug 2008 ~ Grand Californian Villas Feb 2010 ~
Split Stay Animal Kingdom Villas / Saratoga Springs in a GV June 2010 ~ WDW Somewhere summer 2012
Esteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #20
MagicalMawMaw
DIS Veteran

At San Fransisco we stayed at the Sheraton Fisherman's wharf. We wanted location so we stayed at the Fisherman's wharf area. We did this both times at San Fran. Loved it as you can walk to everything in that area or hop the dbl decker bus or tolley. Can walk to Pier 39, China Town,Union Square, Colt Tower, etc or hop dbl. decker bus to those areas.
I pricelined, name your price, both times for a 4 star in the Fisherman Wharf area. It wasn't cheap but worth it for the area. Paid $150 for a room per night & $45 parking .

At the Yosemite area we booked a cabin. It was at Mariposa. Was the Trabucca Garden Cabin. Was abit of a drive to the park...maybe 45 minutes or so...don't remember.. but we only went one day to Yosemite.

At Monterey we stayed at the Portola Hotel . Again I was going for location. It was a 4 star I also got on priceline at $115 a night for the room...about $20 or so was parking. The location was awesome. Walk out of the room to their Fisherman's wharf & along the coast. Can walk to Cannery Row or get a trolley. We walked as is a beautiful walk along there.

All 3 of the above were great lodgings. The Portola Hotel had no a/c though but then again most along there may not have it either.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #21
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the suggestions!

With priceline, it only works if you want one bed, right? I read somewhere that you can't request a room with 2 beds. That would be a deal breaker for us, since we have 4 people in the family. I always wanted to try priceline!
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #22
MagicalMawMaw
DIS Veteran

With Priceline you can request different rooms but no guan. you'll get them. We booked 2 rooms per night at both places. Both times we got one room with a king & one with two beds. However, they do not have to let you have a room w/ 2 beds...they can give you whichever they please. We have had very good luck though. After we book we call the hotel & put in a nice request for how many beds we need. When we arrive we state the request again & are usually given the room needed.

Be sure you bid on the area you want & the star you want as once you land a room it is not refundable. I rarely bid less than a 4 star. This way you usually get a non-smoking hotel so you don't get a smoking room...this is a biggie for us. And like room types priceline doesn't guan. you a non-smoking room either...so this helps avoid this problem.

You can look on the priceline site & get a idea of the hotels in the area before you bid & it helps you decide on a starting price to bid. Start low sometimes you get lucky. I've gotten 4 stars for $45 lots of times.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #23
Rhonna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteri View Post
And here, I was thinking how sad it is they're not getting to Northern CA, but it's simply not possible to "do" a state this large and varied in such a short time. I figure just about everything south of SF is "Southern California". Where to you draw your line? And... what do we call the no-man's land in between?
Classifications from the top of the state down:

- Northern CA (Oregon border down to and including SF)
- Central Coast (Monterey to border of LA) {My dream is to live somewhere in here.}
- Southern CA (LA to Mexico border)
Rhonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #24
CAFarmerGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteri View Post
Haha...ditto! I am also in Northern CA (Howdy, Neighbor!) and Northern CA is beautiful!! The Sierra Nevadas are gorgeous. Southern CA is "fun", we are "pretty".

I will recommend something completely different: white water rafting. Do a Class III trip and your wife will get the beautiful scenery and your kids will get a fun adventure. You will get a break, as the guides prepare your meals.

I won't recommend a particular river, as they are all beautiful (they do have them in the Yosemite area)! But, I will recommend the ARTA river company:
http://www.arta.org/california.htm

Be prepared for Yosemite to be **crowded** in the summer. It really gets crazy. Do not expect serene unless you go down to the southern entrance or get onto the rivers.

You might also consider Kings/Sequoia National Park...less crowded and still beautiful. The Kern river is near there and it is all closer to LA.

The kids won't forget the river trip...
CAFarmerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #25
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Fly into LAX.
Drive up the coast via Hwy 1 (PCH) and go to Monterey. Drive to San Fran. Then drive to Yosemite National Park. The drive down to Disneyland is an easy straight drive south from YNP. If you have extra time visit San Diego (hotel del coronado and stay on the beach).

Yosemite National Park is the park to see! It's absolutely unbelievable. Go when the waterfalls are flowing.

Disneyland is also amazing!

Monterey and SF are great places to hang out and sight see for a one or two days each.

San Diego is drop dead gorgeous. Hotel Del is such a fun place but very expensive.

In Disneyland stay at Grand Californian.

So much to tell you. Where are you coming from? When are you planning to visit? Which month?
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: