Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Hardart
Earning My Ears

Arriving At Polynesian 8pm-ish with 2 Girls

Trying to figure out what makes most sense for dinner. Our flight is scheduled to arrive 6:25p, and I fear Magical Express won't get us to the Poly in time for the Spirit of Aloha show at 8p.

So, with two girls (8 and 4), do we go with Kona on-site, or take the monorail to Narcoossee's, The Wave, California Grill, or the Grand Floridian Cafe? (And am I correct that venturing further would be a mistake?)
Hardart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
twocat
DIS Veteran

Location: Tampa Bay area. 80 miles door-to-door to Disney!! Formerly NW Suburban Chicago

I don't think you'll make the SoA.
Since it's a traveling day, I'd get checked into your room, head down to Captain Cook's for some CS food and go out to the beach to watch Wishes if you get the timing right.

I'd get to bed at a reasonable hour and be rarin' to go first thing in the morning!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Quin
DIS Veteran

At most, plan on CS at the resort. And depending on what your travel day has been like and what time zone their tummies are still in, a slice or two of pizza at the airport (upstairs when you get off the plane, before you go down to ME) might be necessary to prevent a meltdown. If that happens, just grab some Dole Whips from Capt Cooks and head out to the Poly beach for the water pageant and Wishes, or even just some snacks for the room and an early bedtime.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Yes, my family would plan on unpacking, eating something at Captain Cook's and going to bed!

Definitely don't schedule a prepaid meal like the luau or even something requiring a CC deposit (which I think Narcoossee's does now). You never know when your travel day will get all messed up.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
DannyDisneyFreak
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

With 2 girls ages 8 and 4 I wouldn't pick any of the options you listed... you could do Kona but I would pick 'Ohana at the Poly. My other suggestion would be 1900 Park at the GF. I will take a flying leap here but I'm gonna guess they like Princesses and if so then they may enjoy meeting Cinderella and the Prince as well as her step-mother and step sisters (I even enjoyed this meal the character interaction is great and the step-sisters are hilarious!), there is Chef Mickeys buffet at the Contemporary with Mickey, Minnie and the gang, and another option is Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness lodge which I believe you can catch a boat over there from the Poly but not positive.... have a magical trip!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

I would for for Kona at 8:30pm.

If you end up missing it, Captain Cooks would be a good choice.
Dis_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Mississippianna
Still loving Disney World like a 6-year-old

Another vote for Captain Cooke's here, unless you are traveling from the west coast. With young kids, I'd plan on a quick dinner and early to bed on travel day. We've been with DD at 18 months, and 2.5 and have yet to manage to do anything bigger than eat at our resort on arrival day and that's not even arriving as late as you will be. I always prefer something relaxing or eating in our room on travel day. Word of advice: plan on the Poly lobby being pretty well mobbed when you arrive with lots of extra guests coming to the resort for Spirit of Aloha and Ohana.

However, if you're coming from the west coast and 8:30 or 9 wouldn't feel as late for your kids, I'd go for Kona, 'Ohana or 1900 Park Fare. Recent reviews of the GF Cafe have not been good. I can also recommend the QS location at GF: Gasparilla's Grill, I think it's called. If you go to the GF, you can monorail over there then walk back to the Poly. It's not a bad walk at all. I wouldn't venture further than that.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

I'd do Captain Cook's - it's quick and easy. I wouldn't do any of the signatures you mentioned personally because if you have any delays with travel and miss your ADR you'll get zapped with the new fee.

Planning a "super-secret" October F&WF weekend!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina
LittleStinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
ginadv
Mouseketeer

Definitely lay low!

I have to agree with those that said CS at the Poly that night. We have three girls, 9, 7, & 5, so I've got experience with that age range. ME might not get you to the Poly until after 8 and if your flight is delayed at all, even a bit later. We had to circle over Orlando our last visit for an hour due to area thunderstorms.

Settle into the Poly, stroll around the resort a bit and tuck into bed for a good night's sleep before Day 1!

July 4th week 2011 Fort Wilderness Cabins, President's week 2012 trip at the Cabins, August 24-30, 2012 Free Dining for our first Pop visit!
August 22-30, 2013 Thank Goodness for Free Dining!

ginadv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand floridian, grand floridian cafe, kona cafe, narcoossee's

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: