DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #16
Dean
DIS Veteran

We love HH and besides DVC, it's the only place we go routinely, which is to say most years. We own Summer Marriott's and recently bought a condo also. IMO, DVC isn't a good vehicle for summer HH trips if one is looking at approx full week intervals but it can be a good option for HH sometimes and other DVC options other times. I'd spend some time researching. A condo is a big commitment but if one has the resources and long term plan appropriate for that type of investment, now might be a good time. For timeshares and quartershares I'd spend time on TUG (Timeshare Users Group) as well as places like redweeks and ebay for listings. There are other fractionals besides quartershares and there are other points systems that are seated in the area. If I were looking to go to HH for one or two weeks in the summer between mid June and late August, I'd look for TWO Marriott weeks that float during that time with at least one of them in HH and Grande Ocean being my first choice.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #17
JBx3
12 hrs. to HHI & 16 hrs. to AKV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I'd spend some time researching. A condo is a big commitment but if one has the resources and long term plan appropriate for that type of investment, now might be a good time. For timeshares and quartershares I'd spend time on TUG (Timeshare Users Group) as well as places like redweeks and ebay for listings. There are other fractionals besides quartershares and there are other points systems that are seated in the area. If I were looking to go to HH for one or two weeks in the summer between mid June and late August, I'd look for TWO Marriott weeks that float during that time with at least one of them in HH and Grande Ocean being my first choice.
I think we are evolving in this process, looking for more than a week at DVC HH and possibly having 4 or more weeks for a retirement move, and as I see the help from people on this thread, I may be trying to combine my 2 thoughts above, and that may be hard to do. Buying outright a villas is what we really want to do to have the advantage of going whenever the urge or opportunity is there but that plan would involve us renting and right now with rentals so low for a week, our outlay to maintain is one issue, the other issue is if we do not ever have more time than 4 weeks or so a year, we may struggle with reality and ask why did we do this!

Member since 2008-------------------------Member since 2010

Last edited by JBx3; 10-23-2011 at 06:49 AM.
JBx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #18
JBx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterDoc View Post
Yes, our HBSIII units are harbour front with a marsh view out thru the inlet where Captain's Quarters is located. We are located directly above San Miguel's. Our condo is at Yacht Club and we can also see the marsh out thru the inlet from there too. There are a number of units at HBSIII listed for sale at this time too with some great pricing (far lower than what we paid 4 years ago). HBSIII annual fees are just under $6500 which comes out to about $500 per week. The 13 weeks rotate each year, so every 4 years owners will have had opportunity to go all 52 weeks (except for the 1st 2 weeks in January which are maintenance weeks). Owners get 1 week in January and then 2 weeks (together) out of every 8 weeks.

There is a free local shuttle, the Dunes Buggy, available to all guests staying in the Palmetto Dunes area including Shelter Cove (and DVC). It runs from April thru October and is very convenient from HBSIII and all other locations within Palmetto Dunes. It will take guests to any location within Palmetto Dunes (restaurants, Mall, Piggly Wiggly, Beach House, Dunes House, tennis center, etc.). It is paid for by the local merchants in the Palmetto Dunes area - with one exception. It does not serve the Marriott since they chose not to participate in the program.
That is great info for us to digest, it appears HBIII can compliment our DVC for more time and also hold onto some of the great views! Right know we always bike to the beach from DVC and we really enjoy it, we only ever used the DVC shuttle one time and it was excellent. Good to know that HBIII provides that similar service! Spent time yesterday thinking adding a week or 2 at Marriott Harbour Pointe or Sunset would have been the least expensive option however we did find out that shuttle service to the beach was not available so the bike rides from there are a little further. We have not ruled that out but right now HBIII looks like a very nice option to add to our DVC stays.

Enjoy that great 3 weeks you are doing right now.

Last edited by JBx3; 10-23-2011 at 06:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #19
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBx3 View Post
I think we are evolving in this process, looking for more than a week at DVC HH and possibly having 4 or more weeks for a retirement move, and as I see the help from people on this thread, I may be trying to combine my 2 thoughts above, and that may be hard to do. Buying outright a villas is what we really want to do to have the advantage of going whenever the urge or opportunity is there but that plan would involve us renting and right now with rentals so low for a week, our outlay to maintain is one issue, the other issue is if we do not ever have more time than 4 weeks or so a year, we may struggle with reality and ask why did we do this!
The fees, taxes, etc for a HH condo can be quite significant. I know I could not reasonably swing it without renting it out. I bought it for retirement, not for a couple of weeks a year because I have that covered already. My suggestion is to spend a LOT of time, like 6-12 months, digesting your thoughts and educating yourself in this area.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #20
JBx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
The fees, taxes, etc for a HH condo can be quite significant. I know I could not reasonably swing it without renting it out. I bought it for retirement, not for a couple of weeks a year because I have that covered already. My suggestion is to spend a LOT of time, like 6-12 months, digesting your thoughts and educating yourself in this area.
agreed. gott stay away from a buy based on emotion! We are on about month 6 on our process and feel by this summer, we can logically make a move based on educating ourselves. appreciate the advise. looking at tug it seems on fractional ownership that the Ocean Palms and the Carolina Club rate a bit higher than Harborside III, wondering if it is based on closer to ocean? Hope it is not based on quality only.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #21
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
agreed. gott stay away from a buy based on emotion! We are on about month 6 on our process and feel by this summer, we can logically make a move based on educating ourselves. appreciate the advise. looking at tug it seems on fractional ownership that the Ocean Palms and the Carolina Club rate a bit higher than Harborside III, wondering if it is based on closer to ocean? Hope it is not based on quality only.
Ocean Palms is near the Westin. Not as upscale as DVC and the Marriott's but nice enough to not be an issue. I'm having trouble remembering their specifics but IIRC, they have several fractional programs that are somewhat different. I'm pretty sure they're fixed unit options. I think Brigantine Quarters has some fractionals as well.

Ocean Palms has a couple of membership plans but in general you get 10 weeks a year, 2 weeks at a time on a rotating basis between 5 owners. Retail prices in 2006 were in the neighborhood of $70-85K for a 2 BR and $100K for a 3 BR for those 10 weeks. Fees in 2006 were just over $5K a year for those 10 weeks. I have a little more info from the paperwork if you want to email me directly at deandal@pobox.com
Old 10-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #22
JBx3

I appreciate that but I will contact the Ocean Palms directly. There are 1 or 2 of these listed with realtors. in HH and the 3bdr. are down to 50k or 60k. It looked like from the Ocean Palms website that they are pretty close to the Westin and the beach. On our next trip to HH we will do a drive by.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #23
lmb
DIS Veteran

We love HHI also and have gotten so close to buying an outside villa that we put an offer down and then withdrew it. We still may buy in the future but after running the numbers we decided it was more cost effective for us to drive down from PA, stay in Sea Pines for a week and then stay in the Disney resort for about 5 or 6 nights afterwards. This way we have the best of both worlds and this is much cheaper than buying a villa we'd use infrequently and have to rent out.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #24
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I appreciate that but I will contact the Ocean Palms directly. There are 1 or 2 of these listed with realtors. in HH and the 3bdr. are down to 50k or 60k. It looked like from the Ocean Palms website that they are pretty close to the Westin and the beach. On our next trip to HH we will do a drive by.
Certainly compared to DVC, they are closer to the beach but they are not close enough see the ocean and it's a pretty good hike if you want to walk. They do run a shuttle. I would think one could get one resale at around $20-30K (guess). Look for one of the ones that doesn't include Jan and Feb, I think they're called, Super Fifth. They are a little more but well worth a comparable difference I think. They have 3 unit types and there was a pretty good difference between the 3, like $15K between the two 2 BR types retail. Research on TUG for more pricing info, I'm sure someone has more knowledge than I do on that subject.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #25
OhioDVC
Mouseketeer

My family and I love DVC HHI, but I can no longer justify the cost. We purchased 4 weeks of timeshare outside of DVC at HHI. Cost of purchase and MX fees are significantly lower with the same quality or just slightly less.

We love HHI and will be spending almost half of the summer there.

We purchased at Waterside, Marriott Barony Beach and Bluewater Resort and Marina all through the resale market for pennies on the dollar.
OhioDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #26
WolfpackFan
Retired and loving every minute of it!!

Question for Dean - Have you ever stayed at the Marriott Timeshare at Harbour Towne? I've always thought that would be a neat one to stay at.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #27
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackFan View Post
Question for Dean - Have you ever stayed at the Marriott Timeshare at Harbour Towne? I've always thought that would be a neat one to stay at.
I haven't stayed there but have been on property and looked around. It's one of the earliest, if not the earliest, that Marriott built themselves. Monarch was in the process of building when Marriott took over the various resorts they started with (Harbour Pointe, Saturday Villas, Spicebush, Swallowtail and Monarch). Only HP and Monarch remain with HH as Marriott dumped the rest a number of years ago. Harbour Club has a good location if you like Harbour Town but it's a sleepy and small resort and is at the bottom of Marriott's standards. There are only 4 Marriott's on HH that are in RCI, these including Monarch, Harbour Club, Heritage and Sunset Pointe (but not Harbour Pointe at the same location). Speaking of Heritage, it's also in the same area and gets free golf, 12 rounds I believe. There are a couple of other resorts (not Marriott's) that also have gold includes though obviously someone is paying for it. IMO, Grande Ocean is by far the top resort on the Island but Monarch likely in the best location overall. An interesting discussion is always the resorts that used to be Marriott's but no longer are along with the ones that are, but had close calls over the years with a risk of separating from Marriott. BeachPlace Towers comes to mind along with Aruba Ocean Club.

One thing to be careful about if one buys a HH unit that is inside Sea Pines is they tend to have a different timeshare calendar than everyone else, off by 1 week.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #28
Bethd5
Earning My Ears

Affordable option for Hilton Head - two weeks

We own 150 points at Disney to stay Sunday - Friday am. We then bought at Marriott Sunset Pointe (in the same marina as Disney) so we can stay an additional Sat - Sat. Sunset Pointe is very affordable at this time - it's not near as nice as SurfWatch or Grande Ocean (not on the beach, but on the water) but it's in the Marriott family so the villas are very nice and it gets us on HH Island every summer. We rent bikes and enjoy tennis at Sunset Pointe - all views are Marsh views and it's a nice quiet, smaller property.
Just our experience that is more affordable for those of us that love Hilton Head.
Bethd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #29
JBx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethd5 View Post
We own 150 points at Disney to stay Sunday - Friday am. We then bought at Marriott Sunset Pointe (in the same marina as Disney) so we can stay an additional Sat - Sat. Sunset Pointe is very affordable at this time - it's not near as nice as SurfWatch or Grande Ocean (not on the beach, but on the water) but it's in the Marriott family so the villas are very nice and it gets us on HH Island every summer. We rent bikes and enjoy tennis at Sunset Pointe - all views are Marsh views and it's a nice quiet, smaller property.
Just our experience that is more affordable for those of us that love Hilton Head.
Yes. We are keeping our options open to Marriott harbour point and sunset. Good to.know they all have marsh views. We were not aware of that and the marsh view seems to be what our family is after.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: