Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
scuttlesnest
Earning My Ears

MSG food allergy?

Anyone been to Disney restaurants with an MSG reaction? Going in 04/12 & MSG (and all the other names it goes by) causes severe migraines for me, many have me ending up in the ER-- not a very magical experience! Just wondering how specific the ingredient list books are-- would they go into specific spices? Also can't have fresh yeast (breads & doughs etc), btu that one is typically easier to avoid.

& our ADRs for the trip (in case that helps) are at Hollywood & Vine, CRT, Chef Mickey's, Kona Cafe, Yak & Yeti, Crystal Palace & Boma.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Problems with MSG are pretty common, so you should have no problem finding out whether food has it or not. I have also seen some menu signs that actually say “No MSG”.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuttlesnest View Post
Anyone been to Disney restaurants with an MSG reaction? Going in 04/12 & MSG (and all the other names it goes by) causes severe migraines for me, many have me ending up in the ER-- not a very magical experience! Just wondering how specific the ingredient list books are-- would they go into specific spices? Also can't have fresh yeast (breads & doughs etc), btu that one is typically easier to avoid.

& our ADRs for the trip (in case that helps) are at Hollywood & Vine, CRT, Chef Mickey's, Kona Cafe, Yak & Yeti, Crystal Palace & Boma.
We cannot have MSG either, or artificial colors/flavors/sweeteners. I have been told by every Disney chef I have talked to that they do not use MSG in the restaurants, but some of the pre-packaged items that are not Disney-made may have it in them, so you just have to read labels, just as you're used to doing at home. The chef at Raglan Road actually laughed at me when I told him that we could have MSG- he said "oh, haha, we don't use that here, no need to worry about that!"

So that was great.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

I was looking at the information for Participants in the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival. Two items which are prohibited from any use are MSG and Peanut Oil. So you not find either of them at WDW.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
scuttlesnest
Earning My Ears

Oh wow, that's awesome... does that include ALL forms of it? I get nervous that there will be hydrolyzed/ autolyzed ___ proteins etc...
Old 10-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Here is the actual list

Prohibited Food Guidelines
Due to the increased risk of food borne illness, the use of the following foods is prohibited:

Raw beef, such as steak tartare and carpaccio
Raw fish, that is not sushi grade (e.g. ceviche)
Oysters served raw
Unpasteurized fruit or vegetable juices
Unpasteurized milk
Unpasteurized cheeses (that are not pre-approved)
Escolar (contains a strong purgative oil, called gempylotoxin, which may cause diarrhea when consumed)
Pufferfish or fugu (pufferfish can contain levels of tetrodotoxin that may result in death)
Alligator*
Raw sprouts that are not cooked prior to consumption
Taro leaf (all parts of the taro plant contain acrid principles due to the presence of calcium oxalate crystals which are irritating to the mouth and esophagus)
Ti leaves
Banana leaves served uncooked
Stinging nettles (skin that comes in contact with fresh nettles will result in a temporary and painful skin rash)
Peanut oil
MSG

Foie Gras, Monkfish and Chilean Sea bass (unless certified by the Marine Stewardship Council), are also ingredients that we do not use at the Epcot®International Food & Wine Festival, and we are asking that your recipes do not include these items.

We encourage our chefs to purchase sustainably harvested seafood when possible, and to encourage them to visit the Seafood Watch web site for a list of the "Best Choices" fish selection.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

My DH also gets migraines from MSG (not ER visit worthy, but can ruin a good day.) In 6 trips to the World he has never had an MSG reaction there. And since his reactions aren't disabling, just inconvienent, we never worked very hard to avoid it or even mention it as an allergy. So you should be good.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
ireland_nicole
No brainer- the fairy wins it
Personally, I'm an on site girl

Among my DS's allergies is MSG- every single chef I have spoken to at WDW (and believe me, there's a lot) have said they do not use MSG at WDW.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireland_nicole View Post
Among my DS's allergies is MSG- every single chef I have spoken to at WDW (and believe me, there's a lot) have said they do not use MSG at WDW.
Not true. They do not ADD MSG into any foods. It was a WDW chef who corrected my understanding as I also thought there was no MSG in any of the food at WDW. When we stayed at Poly CL, the chef told DH who can't have MSG (only a minor reaction but it does ruin his day when consumed since it triggers acid reflux that makes him feel pretty sick) that the meatballs were off limits to him as they have MSG (they're made outside of WDW and are delivered frozen). I think I read somewhere that the hot dogs may have MSG or at least may have at one time. With frozen, premade foods, you need to check. Chefs will not add any MSG but it is found in a few select premade items.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
scuttlesnest
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Not true. They do not ADD MSG into any foods. It was a WDW chef who corrected my understanding as I also thought there was no MSG in any of the food at WDW. When we stayed at Poly CL, the chef told DH who can't have MSG (only a minor reaction but it does ruin his day when consumed since it triggers acid reflux that makes him feel pretty sick) that the meatballs were off limits to him as they have MSG (they're made outside of WDW and are delivered frozen). I think I read somewhere that the hot dogs may have MSG or at least may have at one time. With frozen, premade foods, you need to check. Chefs will not add any MSG but it is found in a few select premade items.
Ah ha-- that is what I was looking for... I know certain things to avoid (most soup w/ a chicken/ beef broth for example) , but it's the items that already have it in there... a lot of hotdogs do have it as well! I'll avoid meatballs & hotdogs just to be safe, thanks so much for adding this!
Old 06-22-2014, 11:01 PM   #11
WanderingOaken
Earning My Ears

Hi
I know this post is old, but I was googling around and I registered just so I could write to ask the OP how it turned out... did you have headaches? What foods/vendors would you recommend and which would you avoid? I am pretty sensitive to MSG--get headaches and lethargy from just about all the forms of it, though for me it seems cumulative. By day 5 I'm sure to have a migraine unless I can make a plan. Thanks for any advice you can offer. I hate to ask to see the ingredients list for every last component of every last item on the menus.
WanderingOaken is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: