Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #136
danut
Mouseketeer

Well, we are back! We had an amazing time. I cannot believe how incredible the staff at Disney, Universal and the staff and volunteers at GKTW were amazing. Brendan's firework experience was incredible! But now I am overrun with school work and laundry and unpacking. We have about 1500 pictures and I am trying to write in a journal a little each day so that I don't forget anything. I am definitely planning a trip report but it will be a little while in the making. Hoping things are going well with others!

TRIP DATES 10/9/11 to 10/15/11

Pre-trip Report Brendan's Big Boom MAW Trip to Disney

[
Old 10-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #137
Owensheart
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danut View Post
Well, we are back! We had an amazing time. I cannot believe how incredible the staff at Disney, Universal and the staff and volunteers at GKTW were amazing. Brendan's firework experience was incredible! But now I am overrun with school work and laundry and unpacking. We have about 1500 pictures and I am trying to write in a journal a little each day so that I don't forget anything. I am definitely planning a trip report but it will be a little while in the making. Hoping things are going well with others!
Yeah!! Glad to hear you had a fantastic trip! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Owen's PTR!!

TRIP REPORT!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #138
sgarrity
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danut View Post
Can't wait to read your report. So excited for you.

Our Pretrip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post40707717

http://disbiggive.proboards.com/index.cgi
Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #139
celerystalker
Look! I'm yankeepenny!
I can't do without air!
I seriously have a Disney addiction

Hi everybody! I've volunteered at GKTW and think it's one of the most incredible places on earth!
Now I know a wish kid personally - Alli was in my 2 year old Sunday school class last year when she was diagnosed with Leukemia. She's doing good now, but is still having treatments - she is 3.
Her mom is pregnant with miracle number 2 and is having some back pain -
they are scheduled for their wish trip the first week of November.
I've suggested an umbrella stroller for Alli because I know the airports are big and GKTW seemed HUGE to me - I don't know how much actual walking the kids do, but I don't think an umbrella stroller would hurt.
Now I'm considering suggesting a rental scooter for Alli's mom. I've rented one before for my mom - I don't mean the ones in the park, I mean the outside companies that deliver them to your resort and you get them for the whole week -

does anyone know if GKTW has a relationship with any of the local scooter rental places?
I can't remember the one I used before, so does anyone have any recommendations?

also, is there a current schedule of what's going on at GKTW? Specifically, I'm wondering about characters. Minnie and Rapunzel are Alli's favorite characters, so I want to give her parents a heads up if there's a possibility they'll be there.

What about other tips for the family?
I'm going to remind them to always wear their buttons and to use the wish lounge.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #140
newdrama12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
also, is there a current schedule of what's going on at GKTW? Specifically, I'm wondering about characters. Minnie and Rapunzel are Alli's favorite characters, so I want to give her parents a heads up if there's a possibility they'll be there.
Mickey and Minnie come to the Village on Monday and Thursday mornings. Rapunzel hasn't been to the Village, so I think that only place to see her is in the Magic Kingdom. As for the weekly Village schedule, I will post it in a separate thread, so that I don't take up so much room here. But I will link that thread to this one for everyone to see. GKTW weekly entertainment schedule http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post42978418

Last edited by newdrama12; 10-17-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: adding a link
Old 10-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #141
threelittlebakers
Mouseketeer

I just got a email from my wish chapter and she said that my niece could come with us. I had a talk with the grandparents and we are going in half with the expenses to get her to go. I think im paying for the theme park tickets and grandparents are paying for her airfare. Only because im not her legal guardian i don't think i can purchase her airline tickets. And she gets to stay with us at the village. She is going to be so psyched when she fines out. We are not going to tell her until her 9t birthday which is in march and that about a month before we go. We are thinking about buying her a kids suitcase and a fill it up with a few things (autograph book, big pen, gift card to get some cloths, and kids disney guide book) and wrap it up. We are also not talking about it in the house because we want the kids to forget about the trip. We want to do the same thing to them the day before the trip, except its contents we put in them are a little different. But all in all i can't wait. Oh i have to make reservations for restaurants tomorrow. I was suppose of done it to day but i had to work.

http://www.disboards.com/member.php?u=398687

Matt Sr. Alicia Emerald (5)use: Matthew Jr. (4)
Old 10-18-2011, 06:03 AM   #142
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threelittlebakers View Post
I just got a email from my wish chapter and she said that my niece could come with us. I had a talk with the grandparents and we are going in half with the expenses to get her to go. I think im paying for the theme park tickets and grandparents are paying for her airfare. Only because im not her legal guardian i don't think i can purchase her airline tickets. And she gets to stay with us at the village. She is going to be so psyched when she fines out. We are not going to tell her until her 9t birthday which is in march and that about a month before we go. We are thinking about buying her a kids suitcase and a fill it up with a few things (autograph book, big pen, gift card to get some cloths, and kids disney guide book) and wrap it up. We are also not talking about it in the house because we want the kids to forget about the trip. We want to do the same thing to them the day before the trip, except its contents we put in them are a little different. But all in all i can't wait. Oh i have to make reservations for restaurants tomorrow. I was suppose of done it to day but i had to work.
That is great news!

About the bit that I bolded - I don't see why you couldn't purchase the airline tickets. I've never been asked about guardianship for anyone I've bought tickets for. Is she flying with you? Or will she be flying as an unaccompanied minor? If it is the latter, I could see that her grandparents might need to organize the paperwork, but otherwise, anyone can buy the tickets.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #143
wishin' on a star
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2mitokids View Post
Kade(MitoDadMO) passed away last night. Please keep Josh, Annette, and brother Jackson in your thoughts and prayers. I had the pleasure of meeting them when we were at GKTW. RIP Kade
My prayers are with Kade and his family.

Also to Hannah and her family, and Eva's family. We will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers this week.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #144
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
Hi everybody! I've volunteered at GKTW and think it's one of the most incredible places on earth!
Now I know a wish kid personally - Alli was in my 2 year old Sunday school class last year when she was diagnosed with Leukemia. She's doing good now, but is still having treatments - she is 3.
Her mom is pregnant with miracle number 2 and is having some back pain -
they are scheduled for their wish trip the first week of November.
I've suggested an umbrella stroller for Alli because I know the airports are big and GKTW seemed HUGE to me - I don't know how much actual walking the kids do, but I don't think an umbrella stroller would hurt.
Now I'm considering suggesting a rental scooter for Alli's mom. I've rented one before for my mom - I don't mean the ones in the park, I mean the outside companies that deliver them to your resort and you get them for the whole week -

does anyone know if GKTW has a relationship with any of the local scooter rental places?
I can't remember the one I used before, so does anyone have any recommendations?

What about other tips for the family?
I'm going to remind them to always wear their buttons and to use the wish lounge.
Fellow volunteer here - I use Walker Medical for my scooter rentals. The heaviest piece weighs 30 pounds, and, even in pieces, the scooter DOES take up space in the vehicle - so before she rents an off site scooter, make sure the vehicle they get is large enough to hold the family, stroller AND scooter.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #145
celerystalker
Look! I'm yankeepenny!
I can't do without air!
I seriously have a Disney addiction

Thanks for the tip, Linda. I'll check and see what kind of rental car they are getting.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #146
threelittlebakers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
That is great news!

About the bit that I bolded - I don't see why you couldn't purchase the airline tickets. I've never been asked about guardianship for anyone I've bought tickets for. Is she flying with you? Or will she be flying as an unaccompanied minor? If it is the latter, I could see that her grandparents might need to organize the paperwork, but otherwise, anyone can buy the tickets.
Im hoping she is flying with us. The wish chapter said they won't be booking the seats until beginning of next year. As soon as she does she will contact us so we can book my nieces but if there is situation were she has to fly alone. We were thinking of transferring tickets and my husband will take the next flight and i will take the children by myself. She has never flown and i don't want her to be by herself. My husband has flown a couple of times so he doesn't mind. I think everything will work out alright.

http://www.disboards.com/member.php?u=398687

Matt Sr. Alicia Emerald (5)use: Matthew Jr. (4)
Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #147
emmaandbunni
Earning My Ears

i can tell this is going to be a drama, as i can not even work out how to get myself on the pre planning list. can anyone tell me what i need to do thank emma
Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #148
Synovial
Mouseketeer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaandbunni View Post
i can tell this is going to be a drama, as i can not even work out how to get myself on the pre planning list. can anyone tell me what i need to do thank emma
If you are not computer friendly it is not the easiest thing to do. Go to the first page of this thread and scroll down near the bottom to frequently asked questions and it will give you directions. Good luck! Synovial
Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #149
Synovial
Mouseketeer

Smile

Normally how close to your departure date is it until you get your wish package with all your travel arrangements? synovial
Old 10-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #150
wishin' on a star
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovial View Post
Normally how close to your departure date is it until you get your wish package with all your travel arrangements? synovial
We got our flight information a couple of months before our trip. But the rest...the limo, car rental info, and expense $$...we got about two weeks before our trip. I think many MAW chapters give the final wish package even closer to your trip date. It seems to depend a lot on the chapter and the volunteer's schedule.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: