Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member
 
disneydreamingdebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 2,406

Talking School's Closing Early? Let's Do Disney in December! 12-10

Hello! I am hoping to have various readers for this PTR. I'd love for others planning a December trip to chime in, those who have been there in December, and of course, those who'd love to be there in December who can live vicariously through me....

I wasn't sure if I was going to do a PTR for this upcoming trip, but I need opinions, help, and obsession understanding from my fellow Disney lovers! (I knew I'd hate to let Queen of All Things down, and I'd miss weekly chats with my other friends...) I am so excited that we are going to Disney in December--I didn't think we'd be able to do a December trip until dh and I retired.

This is me (Debby) with our nine year old twins (Emma and Hannah)--unfortunately, we didn't get dh in this one or any of the four of us today.



Here is dh (Gregg)- also a huge Disney fan (notice the shirt)...



To explain the title, I teach at a public high school in PA. Our district decided to extend winter break and have an extra week off to save on heating costs. When my friend and I heard this, we both thought it would be a great time to go to Disney. Of course, this was back in the summer. When I asked dh, he said, "Can we please go on this trip first?" (He obviously doesn't realize the importance of having a trip planned before leaving the magic...) However, respecting his need to make it through our August trip, I dropped it.

Once school started back up though, I was checking airfare. I was getting nervous about rising rates, and I texted him. Tickets are $xx.oo, I am getting nervous. Can I book flights? His response: "Sure." My friend was checking flights too, and a couple weeks later she booked!

Dates:

December 16 - All Star Music (AP Discount)



December 17-21 - Beach Club Villas (DVC Points)


Last edited by disneydreamingdebby; 12-10-2011 at 08:21 AM.
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran
 
TanzUnited99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Manchester
Posts: 3,781

Joining in! I'll be one of the DISers living vicariously through you who would love to be there in December

Yay on DH agreeing to the trip! I loved our recent visit to the Beach Club and can't wait to see your pics of this place.
TanzUnited99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7
 
TinkerbellLuvr7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL-5 mins from the WDW Arch!
Posts: 5,258

I'm here too!!!!! We will be staying at wdw the same time, 15th at a Courtyard Marriott in LBV and 16 - 20 at AKL!! We debated about YC bc of Epcot location but decided to save the $$$ and we'll have my car or my brothers to get around. My Xmas break starts the 16th . Can't wait to hear ur plans!
__________________
TinkerbellLuvr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member
 
disneydreamingdebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 2,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
Joining in! I'll be one of the DISers living vicariously through you who would love to be there in December

Yay on DH agreeing to the trip! I loved our recent visit to the Beach Club and can't wait to see your pics of this place.
Hi! You're first! You get a Mickey bar, which I think you have to have on your next visit!

In the meantime, I will be ready along your adventure in anticipation of mine...it's like the Circle of Life, huh? Let's name the phenomenon...The Circle of Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellLuvr7 View Post
I'm here too!!!!! We will be staying at wdw the same time, 15th at a Courtyard Marriott in LBV and 16 - 20 at AKL!! We debated about YC bc of Epcot location but decided to save the $$$ and we'll have my car or my brothers to get around. My Xmas break starts the 16th . Can't wait to hear ur plans!
I love AKL, and I am worried about missing it! This summer, I really missed the Epcot resorts, so I am glad to go back. However, we've stayed at Jambo nearly every trip for at least a couple of days!

You will have to chime in with your plans so we can meet up!!! I plan on visiting AKL to see the decorations. If not, we can text to meet at a park.

I am excited- if we can pull it off, it will be my first Dismeet.

Last edited by disneydreamingdebby; 10-09-2011 at 07:42 PM.
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7
 
TinkerbellLuvr7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL-5 mins from the WDW Arch!
Posts: 5,258

Sounds great!! I'll be going a PTR in my yearly thread but I'll send you a fb msg of plans as they are currently lol.
__________________
TinkerbellLuvr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran
 
Charleston Princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 21,553

Here, Debby!!!
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
MNTwinsMom
Mouseketeer
 
MNTwinsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 357

I will be following along too. We love to visit during the holidays and had December trips in 2009 and 2010. My first advice for anyone traveling in December is to bring layers! We had 90 degree days and we had 30 degree days. Be prepared for anything!

Can't wait to hear all about you plans.
MNTwinsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
MisplacedTexan
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 68

I'm in!!!

We will be in WDW the 10th to the 15th. Taking the kids out a week early for Free Dining, don't tell them though,lol. Debating if I should write a PTR, but am afraid no one will read it,
MisplacedTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran
 
Queenofallthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,812

YIPPPPPEEEEEEE

Ok...I'm good now!!! I am so happy you decided to do one!!! Can't wait to hear of all your plans! I loved going and seeing all the decorations...it's so magical on a normal day, but when it's transformed for Christmas We have gone twice in December....now...will you be doing the MVMCP????

I'll look back in pictures and see if I can think of anything else
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member
 
disneydreamingdebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 2,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Here, Debby!!!
I am so glad! Grab some apple cider and one of those amazing baked treats that is in your kitchen... your house must smell amazing on the weekends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTwinsMom View Post
I will be following along too. We love to visit during the holidays and had December trips in 2009 and 2010. My first advice for anyone traveling in December is to bring layers! We had 90 degree days and we had 30 degree days. Be prepared for anything!

Can't wait to hear all about you plans.
Hello!

I am looking forward to hearing your advice! Thanks for the tip on layers. We travelled last January, and I really wish I had brought more layers. My dh and kids wore shorts nearly every day, but I was cold. Since it is so much colder in PA, I think my family thought I was a wuss.

I was glad I didn't have my coat, bc I knew which people weren't from the colder parts based on their attire... One day was 65 and still some folks had down jackets...

I'd love some temps in the middle, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedTexan View Post
We will be in WDW the 10th to the 15th. Taking the kids out a week early for Free Dining, don't tell them though,lol. Debating if I should write a PTR, but am afraid no one will read it,
Thanks for joining and I promise not to tell your kids! My girlfriend is utilizing free dining and surprising her 4 soon to be 5 year old. They went last Oct. for their first trip.

My girls will miss school from the 19th to the 21st (and maybe 22nd); their school district isn't taking an extended break.

How old are your children? Where are you staying? Where are you eating? Where are you from? Okay, really, you should just write a PTR!

I try not to let it bother me if many people don't read. I have some wonderful Dis friends (who you will soon meet in this PTR). The PTR lets me plan and chat with those dear friends and allows me a chance to meet more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
YIPPPPPEEEEEEE

Ok...I'm good now!!! I am so happy you decided to do one!!! Can't wait to hear of all your plans! I loved going and seeing all the decorations...it's so magical on a normal day, but when it's transformed for Christmas We have gone twice in December....now...will you be doing the MVMCP????

I'll look back in pictures and see if I can think of anything else
Hello friend!

You know I did this for you, right? Well, okay, I'll admit it; I only needed a little encouragement! I am so glad that you can offer advice from your past trips!

We aren't doing MVMCP...thank you for tonight's topic!
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #11
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member
 
disneydreamingdebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 2,406

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party...


I decided against doing this hard ticket event. I thought long and hard; I read for minutes and minutes...

Once I read that the parade begins in MK after the last of the MVMCP on December 18, I decided that we wouldn't go. I hate to pay so much for the tickets; for the four of us with a DVC discount we are still looking at over $200...

Any thoughts on this. There might be an angle to the party that I am not aware of that might be useful to know... Would you go to the Christmas Party if you knew that you probably weren't going to be at Disney in December again anytime soon? I could reconsider...


The idea of not going is not an anathema (something destested or hated.)

(Did you know that I would be supplying you with a word of the day? I assigned the task of using two unknown vocab words three times a day to my 10th graders. Anathema (noun) is my unknown word...I will have to tell them tomorrow how I used it...)
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:43 AM   #12
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran
 
Charleston Princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 21,553

I think you would be okay skipping the party -- especially since the parade will run while you are there. Plus, the Main Street Bakery will be selling hot chocolate and cookies, so you can get those, watch the parade, and it won't be nearly as expensive as the party tickets.
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #13
MNTwinsMom
Mouseketeer
 
MNTwinsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamingdebby View Post
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party...

I decided against doing this hard ticket event. I thought long and hard; I read for minutes and minutes...

Once I read that the parade begins in MK after the last of the MVMCP on December 18, I decided that we wouldn't go. I hate to pay so much for the tickets; for the four of us with a DVC discount we are still looking at over $200...

Any thoughts on this. There might be an angle to the party that I am not aware of that might be useful to know... Would you go to the Christmas Party if you knew that you probably weren't going to be at Disney in December again anytime soon? I could reconsider...


The idea of not going is not an anathema (something destested or hated.)

(Did you know that I would be supplying you with a word of the day? I assigned the task of using two unknown vocab words three times a day to my 10th graders. Anathema (noun) is my unknown word...I will have to tell them tomorrow how I used it...)
We visited WDW while the MVMCP has been going on the past 2 years and never attended. I can't justify the added expense for the parade, fireworks and hot cocoa. However, we are not big fans of parades or big character hunters. If you family REALLY enjoys parades and/or finding rare characters it may be worth it.

If you decide not to go, make sure to schedule an evening at the Poly to watch the Christmas Party fireworks from the beach. They do more permiter fireworks than during regular Wishes, so it's fun to see from afar.

Thanks for expanding my vocabulary . . . I'm not sure when I can use "anathema", but if I find a way to fit it into conversation I'm sure I'll sound quite smart!
MNTwinsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran
 
Queenofallthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,812

Ok, now I know you're going to kill yourself laughing over this but....the reason I bought the tickets to MVMCP weren't for the parade, or the hot chocolate, or the fireworks...nope...it was to get a picture of Belle in her Christmas Dress I do love that picture
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member
 
disneydreamingdebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 2,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I think you would be okay skipping the party -- especially since the parade will run while you are there. Plus, the Main Street Bakery will be selling hot chocolate and cookies, so you can get those, watch the parade, and it won't be nearly as expensive as the party tickets.
I agree that we can buy those goodies and save about $175...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTwinsMom View Post
We visited WDW while the MVMCP has been going on the past 2 years and never attended. I can't justify the added expense for the parade, fireworks and hot cocoa. However, we are not big fans of parades or big character hunters. If you family REALLY enjoys parades and/or finding rare characters it may be worth it.

If you decide not to go, make sure to schedule an evening at the Poly to watch the Christmas Party fireworks from the beach. They do more permiter fireworks than during regular Wishes, so it's fun to see from afar.

Thanks for expanding my vocabulary . . . I'm not sure when I can use "anathema", but if I find a way to fit it into conversation I'm sure I'll sound quite smart!
Thank you about the tip to see the fireworks from the Poly! I think they show the special holiday Wishes from the 19th-25th (after the parties) but I will have to double check that. If not, make sure to be at the Poly on the 18th!

We aren't fans of parades or characters (well, I am, but my kids and dh only feign interest to make me happy. Well, except for dh's love of Chip and Dale, and maybe Marie!)

Glad I could help improve your diction... I have to use dictionary.com to hear how to say some of the words. I guarentee that I will see or hear anathema sometime in the next week, though. Always happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Ok, now I know you're going to kill yourself laughing over this but....the reason I bought the tickets to MVMCP weren't for the parade, or the hot chocolate, or the fireworks...nope...it was to get a picture of Belle in her Christmas Dress I do love that picture
I am laughing, but now I really NEED to see the picture. Are you ready for a laugh? Now, I want a picture with Belle in that dress! (But alas, can I really justify over $200 for it...)
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: