Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #3091
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Canada has a river that flows with chocolate? Tell me more about this magical place!

It is chocolate in colour but you wouldn't want to eat it. It is actually the Petticodiac River that empties into the Bay of Fundy. A number of years ago somebody had the bright idea to build a causeway across the river between Moncton and Riverview. They seem to forget that the Bay flushes itself everyday and it is contains a lot of silt. Over the years the silt has built up to turn the river banks and water to a nice chocolate crown colour.

It has been a shame because this was once a great fishing river and probably close to 1/2 mile wide at the causeway. Now it isn't very wide at all. The good news is that a couple of years ago the gates were left open and the Mother Nature has started to reclaim the river. Hopefully she doesn't stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post

Chocolate River?...is Willy Wonka the Prime Minister of Canada?

Some would say "yes he is." but that is another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck619 View Post

Isn't canada almost a tsate anyway, lol Just kidding. You are more then welcome to bring the Beer Store with you though
More like a little brother that has all the good beer.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 10-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #3092
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Great post overall, but I think there is a line in there that has some DDC criteria potential!
Oh, that's too good to be just a criteria. A tiny bit of rewording and we have:
"Neither rain, nor sleet, nor fire will keep us from enjoying time with our families...and Star Tours 2."

I say, MANLAW!
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #3093
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
"Neither rain, nor sleet, nor fire will keep us from enjoying time with our families...and Star Tours 2."

I say, MANLAW!
Good point... SECOND!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #3094
Jathanis
Full Blown Disney Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
All this talk about Pooh and your rear has really got to stop! Welcome to the club! You are member #658!
Yay! I'm now official! So by the power vested in me by the DISdads, I hereby pronounce Tropical Storm Irwin to be not an issue for my MR cruise next week! Oh, and plenty of Bacon on the buffet for my breakfast...

~*~ DIS Dad #658 ~*~ DVC member - SSR & VGC ~*~
DLR: 10/'95, 10/'97, ??/2000, 10/'05, 10/'06, 1/'07, 4/'07, 10/'09, 11/'09, 5/'10, 8/'10, Fall 2012
WDW: 10/07, 4/08 ~*~ Disney Wonder: 10/16/10, 10/16/11, ?
next DCL cancelled for near future due to Dreams Unlimited not following through on onboard reservation...
Old 10-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #3095
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:

I say, MANLAW!
Quote:
Good point... SECOND!
I'll THIRD that.

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #3096
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

Quote:
These are some great topics to get the discussion rolling. Here's my comments:

1. I think a DisDads convention would be AWESOME. I highly recommend either September or early December/January (just avoid Christmas through New Year's) as time-frames for WDW. Disney works pretty hard to attract convention groups during these traditionally slow time periods. There are deals to be had both at the Disney convention hotels and in Downtown Disney.

2. While we could certainly include GKTW fundraising into the convention, I don't think it serves us well either to incorporate as a charitable organization or really at all. 501(c)(3) registration brings with it lots of legal obligations, including reporting requirements, that are much more onerous and expensive to comply with than necessary for our purposes. I'm not sure what incorporating the group would gain for us either.

3. I think a keynote event with a guest speaker would be great (perhaps a kickoff breakfast or closing dinner), I don't think we want a too heavily programmed schedule. If we wanted to be indoors listening to speakers, why be at WDW?

4. I'm EXTREMELY disinclined to associate ourselves with any religious-based organization. I know that we have active members representing a wide-range of faith traditions here, and I don't think it serves us to alienate anyone on a religious basis.

5. I agree that brief is better. A long weekend, for example, helps make it more affordable and doable for more people. If folks want the rest of their families to either come down with them or meet them after the convention, that can always be arranged.

6. I'd LOVE to do a live podcast (I'd even invest in some hardware, if necessary).

7. As for marketing, I'm not sure how much broader the initial marketing needs to be. We have a number of DisDads who are travel agency contractors, and at least one I know of is at least exploring the possibility of opening his own agency. We have over 650 members here on Disboards, and over 1,500 unique downloaders of the podcast, plus any Facebook and/or Twitter followers that all of those people have. Should we decide to do this, plenty of people will find out about it. I've got contacts with several other podcasts and blogs as well, who would probably be willing to help promote the event.
Aaron, I didn't even think about All Pro dad being a religious association. I agree we would not want to alienate any dads who practice a different faith.

Your idea about a kickoff breakfast and/or departure dinner are great ideas. Maybe we could have a special dad get interviewed by you for a podcast during one of those.

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 8/22/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
Old 10-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #3097
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
It is chocolate in colour but you wouldn't want to eat it. It is actually the Petticodiac River that empties into the Bay of Fundy.
Chocolate River? Bay of FUNdy? This place really is magical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathanis View Post
Yay! I'm now official! So by the power vested in me by the DISdads, I hereby pronounce Tropical Storm Irwin to be not an issue for my MR cruise next week! Oh, and plenty of Bacon on the buffet for my breakfast...
We really don't have that much power. We just think we do.

But if it works, can you make sure you keep any tropical storms clear of the Bahamas for the Oct 30 cruise?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #3098
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTrike View Post
Have any of you stayed at the refurbished rooms at POR? We have stayed at the updated FQ rooms and they were nice. I was curious if the update POR got queen beds too?

Silly newbie question Do any of the moderate resorts offer rooms with king size beds?

Update. I found the answer. Yes moderates do have king size beds, but they cost more than a standards double/double room.
The PO-Riverside refurb is just now in progress. But it is, indeed, getting queen-sized beds in the rooms that had doubles before. There remains some question whether the rooms in Alligator Bayou that had trundles will get Queens, but so far everyone who's asked has been told that all POR-refurbed rooms will have Queens (which just makes sense, given what a PITA it would be too need different-sized sheets for just a few rooms in Alligator Bayou).
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:40 AM   #3099
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

Morning guys

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 8/22/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
Old 10-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #3100
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
Norm brought up a good point that we could become a not for profit and have a convention at DW or DL for that matter. It got me thinking what the structure might look like. Maybe some higher level manager dads could offer some insight as well.

- Have it on a two or three year rotational basis
- Line up guest speakers from Disney, i.e. IT folks, GKTW people, Make a Wish Foundation
- By lining up with a charity maybe we could be more visible.
- We could work with All Pro Dad as well. Have workshops on the imprtance of fatherhood, family, etc.
- be no longer then 2-3 days
- for fun we could do 101 uses for bacon (thats for you Randall )
- I could see Mark and Aaron doing a live podcast from the Poly.
- Of course the must have photo of all the Disdads on Main St!

Let me know what you guys think. It may be a pipe dream, but other organizations have started on less!
Quote:
Morning guys
Good Morning Dave,

Maybe we can have a guest Princess!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #3101
tutter99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
Maybe we can have a guest Princess!
I don't know why but I have this image i my head that that this is turning into the Happy Days episode where Howard takes Richie to the convention.

Proud to be DisDad #356
Old 10-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #3102
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Good morning all. We survived the MNSSHP.

No rain at all. And, the previous day reports of a fire were overexaggerated. According to CM, there was a warning light that was tripped or failed, but nonetheless, Tomorrowland was evacuated. But, AstroOrbitor was going and we rode it. I really enjoy that ride. From the platform ...

Did stop long enough for the first Dole Whip of the trip. I like pineapple/vanilla swirl.

Finally, we were able to do all the Mountains, parade, Hallo-Wishes (which was even more awesome this year), POTC, Dumbo, all Fantasy Land, and more. The construction is really coming along and I'm excited about the new Fantasy Land. Filled up on lots of candy and other junk food. The giant spider on Space Mountain was cool.

Another great day in the books. Today is a resort/ pool day. Off to Narcoosee's tonight for dinner. Have a magical day.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
Old 10-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #3103
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
These are some great topics to get the discussion rolling. Here's my comments:

1. I think a DisDads convention would be AWESOME. I highly recommend either September or early December/January (just avoid Christmas through New Year's) as time-frames for WDW. Disney works pretty hard to attract convention groups during these traditionally slow time periods. There are deals to be had both at the Disney convention hotels and in Downtown Disney.

2. While we could certainly include GKTW fundraising into the convention, I don't think it serves us well either to incorporate as a charitable organization or really at all. 501(c)(3) registration brings with it lots of legal obligations, including reporting requirements, that are much more onerous and expensive to comply with than necessary for our purposes. I'm not sure what incorporating the group would gain for us either.

3. I think a keynote event with a guest speaker would be great (perhaps a kickoff breakfast or closing dinner), I don't think we want a too heavily programmed schedule. If we wanted to be indoors listening to speakers, why be at WDW?

4. I'm EXTREMELY disinclined to associate ourselves with any religious-based organization. I know that we have active members representing a wide-range of faith traditions here, and I don't think it serves us to alienate anyone on a religious basis.

5. I agree that brief is better. A long weekend, for example, helps make it more affordable and doable for more people. If folks want the rest of their families to either come down with them or meet them after the convention, that can always be arranged.

6. I'd LOVE to do a live podcast (I'd even invest in some hardware, if necessary).

7. As for marketing, I'm not sure how much broader the initial marketing needs to be. We have a number of DisDads who are travel agency contractors, and at least one I know of is at least exploring the possibility of opening his own agency. We have over 650 members here on Disboards, and over 1,500 unique downloaders of the podcast, plus any Facebook and/or Twitter followers that all of those people have. Should we decide to do this, plenty of people will find out about it. I've got contacts with several other podcasts and blogs as well, who would probably be willing to help promote the event.

I really don't care to be Inc., other than the tax break. So, if there was an "educational" speaker, then that would accomplish it for me. I agree that we would not want anything long lasting as that would defeat the purpose of WDW. I would suggest something in the summer time. I know it is hot, but if it is during school, then that might eliminate some folks who want to travel with their families.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 10-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #3104
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTrike View Post
A disdad would realize he's in one of the most magical place on earth and "weather" (sorry horrible pun) or not things are going perfect everyone on this board would like trade places with him in a second. We're like the mail man; neither rain, nor sleet, nor fire will keep us from enjoying the time with our families...and star tours2.
We are still talking about the Vader flight with Star Tours 2. 100% agree.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #3105
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

Quote:

I say, MANLAW!
Quote:
Good point... SECOND!
Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids0204 View Post
I'll THIRD that.
MAN LAW ratified and posted on page 1
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
Closed Thread

Tags
bacon, dads, laws, man, princesses

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: