Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #646
jpabst17216
Who's the brains in this outfit?

CM gifts

I do CM gifts in addition to FE gifts. I actually found CM gifts much more rewarding than FE gifts because I got to see how much they enjoyed them! Being from New Orleans, my CMs got bags of pralines, Mardi Gras beads, voodoo dolls and bounce music cds. I also gave out bags of candy...some CMs had never had Hersheys before! I went a little overboard, and I don't know how I am going to top those gifts next year!
I love the appetizer idea for CMs!!! One CM on the Wonder told me they couldn't get popcorn on the boat, so next year I will bring popcorn for CM gifts too. If you have any other ideas for CM gifts, please post them.

06/14- WDW-OKW 05/14- WDW offsite 03/14- WDW-SSR 10/13-WDW-BWV 06/13-WDW-AFV 08/12-WDW-AKV 05/12-Wonder-Alaska 10/11-WDW-SSR 05/11-Wonder-Alaska 11/10-WDW-Treehouse Villa 09/08-WDW-Land and Sea 06/07-WDW-SSR 03/07-WDW-SSR 05/06-WDW-Carribean Beach 10/02-WDW-offsite 10/98-WDW-Land and Sea 04/94-WDW-offsite
jpabst17216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #647
tomspixie
Our friends got us hooked on the Tortuga Rum Liquer
We have an obnoxious number of points

Totally agree on the appetizer idea!!! LOVE IT! It is hard to know quite what to do, to go the extra mile.

tomspixie
tomspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #648
tomspixie
Our friends got us hooked on the Tortuga Rum Liquer
We have an obnoxious number of points

Have posted this somewhere along the way, but seems appropriate for here.

For groups that have to pool their "tips," we have taken microwave popcorn and some candy bars with local packaging, so they know where it came from. Not that that matters, but just trying to personalize it a bit. We also picked up a bunch of DVDs, because they were temporarily unable to get even the stateroom channels. That way they could have a "movie" night as a group.
We also were able to give a couple of gift certificates for the Vista Spa to a couple of seriously outstanding CMs. We did get permission that the gift would go to the individuals receiving said gifts!

I really like the idea of leaving little candies for the room stewards daily! Nice touch!

tomspixie
tomspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #649
kamgen
It is what it is...

Has anyone given gifts instead of monetary gratuities? I have never done that, but some people seem to give a lot of gifts.
Any other gift ideas?? Would love to give something to the people in the Oceaneers Club! Thanks!

kamgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #650
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamgen View Post
Has anyone given gifts instead of monetary gratuities? I have never done that, but some people seem to give a lot of gifts.
Any other gift ideas?? Would love to give something to the people in the Oceaneers Club! Thanks!
It's been discussed earlier in this thread, but I have given goody bags with chocolates to crew and large bags of Oreos to Lab and Oceaneers Club. That is in addition to, not instead of, tips. They have to live off of their tips.

Last edited by Susiesark; 10-09-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Susiesark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #651
mdurette
DIS Veteran

I think the idea of a gift instead of money is not right.

But, I have given big bags of candy to the CMs when I drop off an item at Guest Relations for autographs.
mdurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #652
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpabst17216 View Post
I do CM gifts in addition to FE gifts. I actually found CM gifts much more rewarding than FE gifts because I got to see how much they enjoyed them! Being from New Orleans, my CMs got bags of pralines, Mardi Gras beads, voodoo dolls and bounce music cds. I also gave out bags of candy...some CMs had never had Hersheys before! I went a little overboard, and I don't know how I am going to top those gifts next year!
I love the appetizer idea for CMs!!! One CM on the Wonder told me they couldn't get popcorn on the boat, so next year I will bring popcorn for CM gifts too. If you have any other ideas for CM gifts, please post them.
Bounce music? Yes in deed! I would've never thought to give that. Maybe I should bring some beads with us on our cruise in Feb. Ironically, we'll be cruising on Mardi GRAS day.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #653
jpabst17216
Who's the brains in this outfit?

You should bring cds of mardi gras music too! And I would bring those really big beads! You can wear them and explain what they are really for!

06/14- WDW-OKW 05/14- WDW offsite 03/14- WDW-SSR 10/13-WDW-BWV 06/13-WDW-AFV 08/12-WDW-AKV 05/12-Wonder-Alaska 10/11-WDW-SSR 05/11-Wonder-Alaska 11/10-WDW-Treehouse Villa 09/08-WDW-Land and Sea 06/07-WDW-SSR 03/07-WDW-SSR 05/06-WDW-Carribean Beach 10/02-WDW-offsite 10/98-WDW-Land and Sea 04/94-WDW-offsite
jpabst17216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #654
stefanie.cadell
Past Cast & Crew

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark View Post
It's been discussed earlier in this thread, but I have given goody bags with chocolates to crew and large bags of Oreos to Lab and Oceaneers Club. That is in addition to, not instead of, tips. They have to live off of their tips.
Kid area staff, entertainment staff & guest relations do not live off of tips. We're not allowed to keep monetary gifts/tips at all. Wait staff at the bars/lounges, dining rooms, stateroom stewards etc are the tippable staff. THEY are the ones that live off of their tips. Basically if you would normally tip someone off the ship, do the same on the ship. At a restaurant, servers get tips as well as hotel maids. Unless the service is phenomenal, most babysitters still only get their agreed upon pay. (Please don't get mad when I compare the club/lab/a loft/stack/quest etc staff to babysitters because I know they are so much more (I was one myself)- it was just the only example I could come up with.)

One more time:

Food/treats tips only:
Kids staff, cruise staff & entertainment staff (and Guest Services too I think, but I'm not 100% sure)

Food/treats & monetary tips:
Stateroom host, dining room servers, bar staff, lounge staff, pool staff, eatery staff, spa staff etc.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:09 AM   #655
sssteele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanie.cadell View Post
Kid area staff, entertainment staff & guest relations do not live off of tips. We're not allowed to keep monetary gifts/tips at all. Wait staff at the bars/lounges, dining rooms, stateroom stewards etc are the tippable staff. THEY are the ones that live off of their tips. Basically if you would normally tip someone off the ship, do the same on the ship. At a restaurant, servers get tips as well as hotel maids. Unless the service is phenomenal, most babysitters still only get their agreed upon pay. (Please don't get mad when I compare the club/lab/a loft/stack/quest etc staff to babysitters because I know they are so much more (I was one myself)- it was just the only example I could come up with.)

One more time:

Food/treats tips only:
Kids staff, cruise staff & entertainment staff (and Guest Services too I think, but I'm not 100% sure)

Stateroom host, dining room servers, bar staff, lounge staff, pool staff, eatery staff, spa staff etc.
GETTING MARRIED!!! Hope it's all smooth sailing!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #656
stefanie.cadell
Past Cast & Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteele View Post
GETTING MARRIED!!! Hope it's all smooth sailing!
Thanks!!!!!! 18 days till the wedding & 19 till we board the Wonder for our honeymoon!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #657
Clochette nordique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanie.cadell View Post

One more time:

Food/treats tips only:

Thank you so very much for this answer. It makes it more clear for me.

Poussière de fée!

sniff, sniff, no ticker! .... oops, just for now, since DH asked me when I would go back.........

DLParis - Août 2017 ; DCL-Magic Greece - Août 2017
WDW-POR - Novembre 2013 ; DCL-Fantasy Western Caribbean - Novembre 2013
DL-Paradise Pier - Février 2012 ; DCL-Wonder Mexican Riviera - Février 2012
WDW-Poly - Mai 2011 ; DCL-Dream Bahamas - Mai 2011
Clochette nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #658
Ssamara28
Mouseketeer

Thank you all very much.
Ssamara28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #659
MammaC
Earning My Ears

Still getting caught up on this thread, but do they do anything special for birthdays? My Daughter will be turning 5 while we are on the ship and I'm wondering how I can make her day even more special!
MammaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #660
Wests4Disney
Mouseketeer

My daughter had a birthday on the cruise and she received a cute card from the kids counselors and a certificate from our room steward. She also got the cake at dinner, but it is my understanding that the cake has been stopped. I have seen that you can still get a cupcake type of a dessert, which I think I would like better, since we are stuffed at every meal.

I had decorated the room with a happy birthday banner and she wore a birthday princess sash all day. She heard happy birthday quite a bit. They also have the pin at guest services that she was given later in the day at the kids club.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: