Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #136
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousegear View Post
I love your review of Sanaa. I am kind of afraid to try Sanaa. The food there seems so out of my normal range. However, one of these days, I'm going to pluck up my courage and try it.

Of course, your meal at Narcoosees looks awesome. It's always romantic and food always looks great!
You should definitely give sanaa a go. The flavours are a little more bland than true indian, so they are not that out there.
Narcoosees was fab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinotinto View Post
Love, love, love your reviews! You've hit on many of my favorite restaurants. I love Sanaa and the funny thing is that when we had dinner there in June (also on the DxDP), I ordered the exact same 3 courses your DH ordered - the bread service, the green curry chrimp with lentils and 5-grain rice, and the chai cream. Loved all of it!

We're staying at the YC in just a few days, so I read with interest your reviews of Captain's Grill, BC Marketplace morning snacks and BnC.
at you ordering the exact same meal as DH. How good is that chai cream??

Hope you enjoy the Yacht Club, we loved staying in that area and both agree it would be difficult to stay in a non-Epcot resort hotel from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Great updates

Sanaa is on my 'ones to try' list

I love the look of the scallop dish at Narcoossees
Thank you. Hope you get the give Sanaa a try, and the scallops were really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildAtHeart82 View Post
Great reviews! The chai cream at Sanaa is one of my favorite Disney desserts. We try to make it to Narcoossee's on every trip and have always had good experiences.
That chai cream is amazing, I would kill for a cup of it right now!

Sept 2005 - ASMU
Sept 2007 - POFQ/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2008 - AKL/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2009 - SSR/BWI/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2011 - BC/Royal Pacific/CR
Sept 2012 - BC/Royal Pacific
May 2013 - WL/Royal pacific
Sept 2013 - Royal Pacific
iluvpluto27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #137
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

Sci Fi

We had breakfast at Boardwalk bakery today. I chose a mickey shaped blueberry muffin, which was soft and fresh, with plenty of blueberries in.

DH chose a smores cupcake, this was huge, soft sponge with a chocolate chip graham cracker style centre, the frosting was less sweet than typical being more a a marshmallow cream rather than traditional frosting. A very unheathly, but delicious breakfast.

We sat outside the bakery to eat our breakfast. It was lovely and peaceful that time of the morning but itís hard not to feel a bit guilty when youíre eating a calorie laden cupcake and thereís loads of joggers running past you!

After breakfast we walked to to Hollywood Studios. Again the park was pretty quiet. We were able to ride TSM 3 times, ride TOT, RNRC, Star tours, see voyage of the little mermaid and Lights, Motors Action and leave by 2pm.

We had a lunch reservation at sci fi at 11:30. Iím used to it being really busy at the check in area, and having to wait a while to be seated. This time there was hardly anyone waiting, and we were seated within a couple of minutes, in the back of a car at the centre of the restaurant.

This is still the quietest restaurant in disney world, it was nearly full by the time we finished our meal but everyone was watching the screen rather than talking.

I ordered a cherry diet coke to drink, and DH went with an Oreo Milkshake. This was really good once heíd stirred it, it had a nice oreo flavour to it and was thick and creamy.

To start we shared the spinach and artichoke dip and onion rings. The dip was good, creamy, tasty with a thick layer of cheese on top. There were way to many chips though, and most were wasted.

The onion rings were hot, nice crispy batter, and served with a mild horseradish dip. Good onion rings, about what youíd expect.

For my entree I chose the single cheeseburger, topped with swiss served with fries. This was good, the patty was served medium as requested, it was still juicy, there was plenty of salad in the bun, and the bun was white, crusty on top but soft in the middle. The fries were hot and crispy, this was too big a portion after the appetiser and I managed just over half.
The picture came out really dark, but you can imagine what a burger and fries looked like!

Dh chose the veggie burger, which was new on the menu. He didnít like this at all and this was his worst entree of the trip. The patty didnít have any real flavour to it, there were huge chunks of onion, pickle, cucumber, and tomato on top, making it impossible to pick the burger up. The bun was white, but crispy and not very soft. This came with normal fries, but apparantly was supposed to be served with sweet potato fries which our server brought part way through the meal.

The sweet potato fries were fantastic. Crispy on the outside, soft in the middle, sweet in flavour but it worked well with savoury food. DH ate the whole bowl, and skipped the rest of his entree!

DH ordered an apple crisp to share for dessert. This was surprisingly good, slices of cooked apple (but still crunchy not mushy), crumble style topping, a scoop of vanilla ice cream drizzled with caramel sauce. I could only manage a couple of spoonfuls, but enjoyed it.

Overall, we both enjoyed sci fi again, it provides a nice cool break from the parks, decent food (apart from the new veggie burger!), and we would return.

Sept 2005 - ASMU
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #138
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

Jiko

We had a 7:30pm reservation at Jiko that night, and after catching the boat to DHS and catching a bus to AKL from there, we checked in a few minutes early and were seated almost immediately.

We were sat at a four top by the window and presented with a card signed by all the staff for our anniversary which I thought was a lovely touch. Our server was good, friendly if a little slow at times. The meal lasted well over two hours which isnít a big deal for me, but there was about a 40 minute gap between appetisers and entrees, which was just a little too long for me.

We ordered a bottle of chocolate block to drink, I love this wine, itís a south african blend, really smooth but with quite a deep flavour.

I chose the Inguay tibs for my appetiser. These were deep fried parcels of spinach, mushroom and goats cheese in filo pastry, served with fuji apple and a curry mustard dipping sauce. These were delicious, the pastry was flaky and crispy, the filling had a little spice to it and lots of flavour, which worked well with the fresh apple which cooled the dish a little. Very good appetiser.

DH chose the cheese plate. This was an excellent mix of hard and soft cheeses, paired with accompaniments including raisins, strawberry jam, plum jelly, date. The triple cream brie again was delicious, but slightly saltier than Narcooosees, the Mount tam was very smooth and creamy and worked so well with the strawberry jam. The Roaring Forties blue was very strong but paired well with the raisins.

For my entree I chose the Barbarie Duck breast, served with massala potatoes and spinach. This was very nice, the duck was tender and there was lots of it, the spinach and potatoes were well cooked, the massala sauce had tons of flavour, but was just a little too spicy for me. The marinated mushrooms added a different texture, and worked well with the sauce.

DH chose the seared black grouper with toasted pearl cous cous, lentils, chickpeas, tomato, corn pudding and harissa vinegerette. The fish was well cooked, the cous cous and chick peas good, but DH wasnít keen on the tomatoes for some reason.

For dessert I had the amarula creme brulee. This was lovely, perfectly smooth, silky creme brulee, a chocolate bottom, mild amarula flavour and thick crunchy top, so much better than the one I had at Brown Derby.

DH had the One Last Cup, Cinnamon and coffee mousse, served with hot chocolate sauce. The mousse was very thick in texture, as was the chocolate sauce. The coffee flavour was mild, and cinnamon was definitely the dominant flavour. The sugar cubes were actually little squares of white chocolate, so cute!

Another very good meal at Jiko, itís still one of top Disney restuarants, definitely a must do on every trip.

Sept 2005 - ASMU
Old 10-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #139
BLTLDZ
Loving our DVC :)

Great reviews!! Glad to see you enjoyed Jiko...we had a bad experience this past december, but we are trying it again next week! Can't wait
Old 10-08-2011, 01:58 AM   #140
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTLDZ View Post
Great reviews!! Glad to see you enjoyed Jiko...we had a bad experience this past december, but we are trying it again next week! Can't wait
Thank you. We always visit Jiko on our trips, and I think this was probably our best meal there. We've pretty much always had good food there, but sometimes the service has been a bit off. This time they were both great, so I hope you have a fab meal there next week.

Sept 2005 - ASMU
Old 10-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #141
chip 'n dale rule
Mouseketeer

Can't wait for your reviews of Cali Grill and Yachtsman as we're trying both of those for the first time on our next trip. You definitely made me want to try Jikos!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:08 AM   #142
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

I do not like seafood, but Narccosees is my favorite Disney restaurant so far.

We are not huge fans of the Sci Fi food either, but the atmosphere is too cool for us to not enjoy again.

That Smores cupcake looks amazing, and is not on my list of things to try. Thanks for the heads up.

We are eating at Jiko on DS birthday this December. It will be our first time, so we are very excited. Based on your reviews and others, I have a feeling it could top our list of favorites.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #143
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

Joining in and now I'm all caught up!

Great reviews.....you've eaten some really lovely meals!

That appetizer from Jiko looks great, wish I could try it!
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #144
mousegear
DIS Veteran

Love reading your reviews! I am drooling over Smores Cupcake. Excellent choice for breakfast!!! I bet you all the sugar rush really wakes you up and get you ready for the parks.

I would love to return to Jiko. We had an excellent meal there in the past. Your Duck Barbarie looks delish~~~
Old 10-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #145
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip 'n dale rule View Post
Can't wait for your reviews of Cali Grill and Yachtsman as we're trying both of those for the first time on our next trip. You definitely made me want to try Jikos!
I should be able to get Yachtsman done in the next couple of days, and hope you enjoy Jiko if you give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
I do not like seafood, but Narccosees is my favorite Disney restaurant so far.

We are not huge fans of the Sci Fi food either, but the atmosphere is too cool for us to not enjoy again.

That Smores cupcake looks amazing, and is not on my list of things to try. Thanks for the heads up.

We are eating at Jiko on DS birthday this December. It will be our first time, so we are very excited. Based on your reviews and others, I have a feeling it could top our list of favorites.
The smokes cupcake was really good. Really hope you enjoy Jiko, I think it's definitely up there with Narcoosees so hopefully you'll have a fantastic meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg1027 View Post
Joining in and now I'm all caught up!

Great reviews.....you've eaten some really lovely meals!

That appetizer from Jiko looks great, wish I could try it!
Thanks for joining in. The Jiko apps were really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousegear View Post
Love reading your reviews! I am drooling over Smores Cupcake. Excellent choice for breakfast!!! I bet you all the sugar rush really wakes you up and get you ready for the parks.

I would love to return to Jiko. We had an excellent meal there in the past. Your Duck Barbarie looks delish~~~
Thank you. I know, where else would you have a cupcake for breakfast! The duck at Jiko was really good, as was the entire meal.

Sept 2005 - ASMU
Old 10-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #146
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

Wolfgang Pucks + Candy Cauldron

Weíd picked up some Starring rolls cupcakes as we were leaving DHS yesterday to have for breakfast. I chose the Red velvet cheesecake, this was absolutely delicious, not too sweet, plenty of tangy cream cheese frosting on top of soft red velvet cake.
DH chose the Marble cupcake, this was also good but had a huge amount sweet frosting, and chocolate buttercream in the centre of the cake as well. He ate half that morning and the rest later.

We spent the morning in DTD and had 1pm reservation at Wolfgang Pucks. We checked in and were seated immediately, it was actually very busy but looked like mostly business people, as 80% of diners were dressed in formal work wear.

I ordered a diet coke to drink and the crab cakes to start. These were really tasty, a little hint of spice, lots of flavourful crab meat, accompanied by a tangy tomato basil sauce and topped with a fresh tomato salsa.

DH ordered calamari, which was a huge portion. The rings were slightly rubbery but had a well seasoned coating and a very nice sweet curry aioli for dipping.

For my main I chose the soup and sandwich combo; Chicken aioli pocket, and butternut squash soup. The Chicken pocket was ok, I thought the filling was a little bland, lots of salad, chicken pieces and mayo, but the bread was lovely and soft. The soup was tasty, I wasnít keen on orange drizzle on top, it was quite tart and didnít think it worked with sweetness of soup. This was accompanied with home made chips, these were quite thick and crunchy and lightly salted.

DH chose the Chefs sampler. This consisted of a spicy tuna roll, five peices of nigri, sashimi and edamane beans. The tuna roll was delicious, lott of fresh tuna and avocado filling, quite spicy but it didnít overpower the tuna flavour and the rice was nicely seasoned. The Nigri was all fresh, the salmon and tuna being DHís favourite, the tuna sashimi was actually seared on outside, rare on inside and the Edamane was nicely salted. Overalll a nice, well balanced sushi plate.

We were both getting full so decided to share the snickers cheesecake. This was very rich, good cheesecake, topped with chocolate and caramel sauce and big chunks of a snickers bar. The cheesecake was quite tangy so it wasnít too sweet even with the chocolate sauce.

We stopped by the Candy Cauldron afterwards to use up some snack credits. As opposed to Goofys which always seems super busy, there was absolutely no one in here and they had a very similar selection to Goofys. We picked up red velvet cake pop (soft cake, thick chocolate, sugar crystals), a strawberry (fresh strawberry, chocolate was good but not that thick), and a white chocolate peanut butter cup. These were all very good but the cake pop was probably my favourite.

Sept 2005 - ASMU
Old 10-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #147
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

That sushi looks soooo good!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #148
Pinkgirl
DIS Veteran

Hi, just joining you. Loving all your piccies. OH would just like to say that he's never met a veggie Toon supporter lol. We have two weeks of Deluxe at Yacht Club next year and are really loving your reviews. Just off to sub
Old 10-11-2011, 01:48 AM   #149
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Snickers and cheesecake. You cannot go wrong with either of those.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #150
mousegear
DIS Veteran

WP's lobster appetizer and sushi platter looks delish~ I gotta try that sometime. Only problem is there are so many places and we are only there for a week/year so limited time for all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: