Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 05:26 AM   #76
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I definitely felt like yesterday should have been Friday too! I'm sitting here like...but why isn't it Saturday? It really should be...

Wow, that definitely sounds like you had quite a few things going on during that hurricane weekend! I'm glad that Brian got moved in and settled eventually, how is he enjoying it there now? It looks like a nice campus (at least, from that parking lot )

I'm so happy that you guys did make it to Williamsburg!!! That must have been driving you nuts to not know until the very last minute! I can't wait to see more pics!
Old 10-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #77
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

The campus at Salisbury looks lovely! I just can't imagine at this point leaving my son at college, but I know I need to start preparing for it because I'm sure these next few years are going to fly by. We are actually within commuting distance to Oklahoma University, maybe he'll just go there and stay at home - fingers crossed!

Glad you finally made it to Williamsburg! Your condo looks lovely!
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #78
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
I definitely felt like yesterday should have been Friday too! I'm sitting here like...but why isn't it Saturday? It really should be...
I honestly kept thinking yesterday was Friday night and then I had to remember - DRAT - its only Thursday! Oh well - at least tonight IS finally Friday night!

Quote:
Wow, that definitely sounds like you had quite a few things going on during that hurricane weekend! I'm glad that Brian got moved in and settled eventually, how is he enjoying it there now? It looks like a nice campus (at least, from that parking lot )
Within 6 hours of arriving there he texted me to say "I love college". I texted back, "I bet you do since your classes havent even started yet". But seriously, he really loves the school. He was hesistant at first because a couple people told him he wouldn't like it there. But I have honestly only heard good things about the school. It's only about 8500 students, so its not huge, nor is it small. I think its the perfect size for him. I hope he does OK academically. We set a minimum GPA for him and told him we can't pay if he doesn't meet that. We'll see!

Quote:
I'm so happy that you guys did make it to Williamsburg!!! That must have been driving you nuts to not know until the very last minute! I can't wait to see more pics!
Until I had that confirmation number in my hand I was very unsettled, but at that point I was willing to just rent a cheap room somewhere. That's how bad I wanted/needed this break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
The campus at Salisbury looks lovely! I just can't imagine at this point leaving my son at college, but I know I need to start preparing for it because I'm sure these next few years are going to fly by. We are actually within commuting distance to Oklahoma University, maybe he'll just go there and stay at home - fingers crossed!
It is a very pretty campus. I didn't walk around enough to get pictures of the "real" buildings. But its compact and very esthetically pleasing.

Yes - the 4 years of high school fly. We knew Brian couldn't stay home though. We had some issues with him over the past 18months and it wouldn't have been the right thing. For his own maturity, I think he needs this experience of living outside of the home.

When Nick leaves (two years) that is going to be VERY strange. I need to start preparing myself for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Glad you finally made it to Williamsburg! Your condo looks lovely!
I was so relieved to get there. The condo was very nice. I think we had a remodeled one. It's no Disney, but the price was certainly right!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #79
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I don't know how I missed this post! DOH! That sounds so wonderful!!!! I would love a tour guide. Oh yeah - I remember looking at Portsmouth NH as a possible destination. I tell you, I really was all over the map!

Didn't you used to live in Maine? I think the coastline of Maine is spectacular and I have really only seen the southern tip. Some day I am going up to Acadia and I would love to keep going right to Nova Scotia.

I love lobster rolls! YUM!!!!

I grew up in Maine. In Kittery actually which is right across from Portsmouth, NH. Marc & I actually were married in Portsmouth. Acadia is gorgeous, simply stunning, especially at this time of year with the leaves changing colors. I miss living in Maine, someday I am going to move back.

I am so jealous you went to Williamsburg, Marc and I have been talking about going there for the last two years but we have just not found the time or money to go. I'm really looking forward to your pictures and hearing on how you liked it.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #80
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

What a pain in the rear that Irene caused! So sorry about the stress with the reservations. But what a nice outcome that you got some alone time with the hubbie!

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Old 10-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #81
LilAnn
DIS Veteran

I'm here, a little late, but here! I am excited to read your TR because I grew up in the Northern VA area so you have already started talking about places I know. Hurricane Irene sure caused a lot of traffic/vacation issues. We had an unexpectedly longer stay in Florida due to Irene and were worried our Labor Day plans in Ocean City, MD might be cancelled due to hurricane damage.

Excited to see what you end up doing in Williamsburg. I always found Colonial Williamsburg fun, but I totally love history things like that.

Um, and the drive to the White Mountains can be killer - since we did that this summer. I can only imagine it would feel so long after driving 6 hours to get up to MA/NH.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #82
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Lots of drama to start the trip. I remember the University of Delaware announcing they were starting the semester late as well and trying to keep students from moving in. Just a strange set of events. Anyway, I hope it worked out the best for your son!

To answer your question from earlier, we haven't been to Williamsburg yet...been waiting for the kids to get a little older so they can understand what's going on. But I'll be interested to see what you think of it!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #83
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I grew up in Maine. In Kittery actually which is right across from Portsmouth, NH. Marc & I actually were married in Portsmouth. Acadia is gorgeous, simply stunning, especially at this time of year with the leaves changing colors. I miss living in Maine, someday I am going to move back.
Really? How cool. Portsmouth looks like a really cool town. I have often said that if I could have my dream locations it would be Maine in the summer and Florida in the winter.

I am somewhat curious about the new Disney cruise that is going to sail up to Nova Scotia next summer. I think they have some stops in Maine, if I'm not mistaken.

Wouldn't it be great to take a vacation every 2 months??? So many great places to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I am so jealous you went to Williamsburg, Marc and I have been talking about going there for the last two years but we have just not found the time or money to go. I'm really looking forward to your pictures and hearing on how you liked it.
I know you like history attractions, so you would probably love Williamsburg. It's rather daunting because there is Colonial williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, the battlefields, and the victory center. Then there's Norfolk and Hampton VA within close proximity. Richmond is also close. There's the touristy section of williamsburg, William & Mary, the pottery, the outlets, Busch Gardens and its water park. And I'm sure I am forgetting things. It's a lot to wrap your head around, which is why I think you need a week and its also why I would like to return next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
What a pain in the rear that Irene caused! So sorry about the stress with the reservations. But what a nice outcome that you got some alone time with the hubbie!
It really did all work out in the end. I felt the worst about inviting Nick's GF to go with us and then having to cancel. I really would have liked to go with Nick and his GF. She's a lovely girl and it would have been fun for everyone. But, I am certainly not complaining about having some alone time with Denny. That rarely happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilAnn View Post
I'm here, a little late, but here! I am excited to read your TR because I grew up in the Northern VA area so you have already started talking about places I know. Hurricane Irene sure caused a lot of traffic/vacation issues. We had an unexpectedly longer stay in Florida due to Irene and were worried our Labor Day plans in Ocean City, MD might be cancelled due to hurricane damage.
Welcome LilAnn! Thanks so much for joining in. I did not realize you were from Va. I guess you really can't complain about staying in Florida longer, right! That worked in your favor! Glad you were able to visit OC,MD without any problems!

Quote:
Excited to see what you end up doing in Williamsburg. I always found Colonial Williamsburg fun, but I totally love history things like that.
It really is a fabulous place. I enjoyed it more than ever this time because I am such a better planner than I used to be, so I knew what I wanted to do. Like I said, my only regret was that we couldn't stay longer.

Quote:
Um, and the drive to the White Mountains can be killer - since we did that this summer. I can only imagine it would feel so long after driving 6 hours to get up to MA/NH.
Exactly - the beginning of the trip is easy but if you go up the highway between NH & VT then you have to spend your last 1 1/2 hours going through the mountains. Pretty - yes - but all you want to do is get there.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #84
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Lots of drama to start the trip. I remember the University of Delaware announcing they were starting the semester late as well and trying to keep students from moving in. Just a strange set of events. Anyway, I hope it worked out the best for your son!
Yeah - UD didn't even let anyone move in. I think their move in day must have been Friday, maybe?? Salisbury must have decided that Thursday morning because no one knew about it. Or at least most people didn't until they got there. Still - it was good to get everything moved in. What a community effort they had going on there. Very well organized. I was just happy that we didn't have a 6:30am move in time. I would not have wanted to spend the money to stay down there and then bring my son home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
To answer your question from earlier, we haven't been to Williamsburg yet...been waiting for the kids to get a little older so they can understand what's going on. But I'll be interested to see what you think of it!
We took my boys when they were going into 2nd and 4th grade. We did the BG park and water park thing. We also took them to the VA air and space museum. We had dinner in colonial Williamsburg and we visited Jamestown. I didn't take them on any of the tours in historic W-burg because I didn't think they would love it, but we did go up there and walk around at night and during the day. It is free to just walk up there, but you pay to actually go in the houses.

It really is a great trip and the location from where we live can't be beat!

Old 10-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #85
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Wow - what a chaotic mess that Irene caused!
Did you ever figure out why Brian was out of touch that night?

I recognize a lot of the roads and highway signs you took, that bridge/tunnel makes me so nervous! We've done it a few times. My relatives (well, DH's actually) live near Hampton and in Williamsburg. I love going only for the fun of Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown!! Their tiny town is not much for visiting. Busch Gardens is fun too. It's no WDW, but it will do in a pinch!

Looks like a nice condo you got!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #86
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

I thought for sure I commented on your first update last night!!!

What a pain to take Brian to school to find out he couldn't stay!

It seems everything worked out well though! Even though it sounds like an adventurous few days!

Woo hoo for finally making it to Williamsburg!!! Your room looks lovely! Almost DVC-ish!!

Can't wait to hear about your Williamsburg fun!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #88
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

What gorgeous pictures...but you always take amazing pictures!!! Glad you were able to go on your trip and YAY for Brian making it to school!!! Salisbury looks like a great school!!!!!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 10-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #89
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

That US 13 drive to the bridge-tunnel is AWFUL. Nearly 3 hours of nothing. At least the bridge is interesting once you get there!
Old 10-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #90
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

Wow! What a start to your trip!!

The campus looks just beautiful - gorgeous! I hope he has a great year.

Your condo in Williamsburg looks VERY nice! I'm glad they were able to work with you on the reservation.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: