Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Bound, bound, bound and rebound - Sept 24-Oct 1st. 2011

I kept thinking this vacation just wasn't going to happen. We changed plans so many times, faced so many challenges during 2010 that I started to give up home. But after almost a year from the original date we finally went. The challenges just kept coming but we persevered and had a wonderful time.

Let's start at the very beginning (it's a very good place to start)...

I booked a vacation in March 2010. We had been back for 6 months and were jonesin' for another visit back to Mickey. Add to that the fact that I kept dreaming of Christmas with Mickey and we were ready to book!! I had already picked up odds and ends during Christmas clearance, planning for this trip. I was so excited

But then, two weeks later, my mom died. I was shattered. I had no urge to dream about Christmas present, I just wanted to think of Christmas past and remember what life was like when I had two parents, now that I was left with none. So we pushed the vacation off, figuring by February the holidays would be over and we would all be ready for some smiles.

Well, DH had been laid off in Sept 09 (the day we got back from our trip) and hehad worked on and off in his union, and kept being promised full time work, you know, just over the horizon. So we kept chasing the horizon and it kept eluding us. We knew there was no way we could go on vacation when work was so unpredictable. A week of work, a week off. Three weeks of work, 8 off. We were running out of $$$. So with tears we realized by Christmas that over a year of waiting for the next big job to break we had to face reality. And push the trip off.

But his work picked up and he went back to full time. Even picked up a part time job. Life was getting back on track and we decided to make the plans to move the trip to September. We changed plans a few times from off site to on site and back again but in the end decided on off site. The price was great and the condo looked awesome so we decided with our family of six, we should try a vacation with more space. Not to mention the fact that we were still making up for lost paychecks and had to balance our need for a vacation with some financial responsibility.

So................... these were the plans........
DH - 35 aka Rich , DD - 12 aka Sapphire, DS-9 aka Bastian DD - 4 aka Esme and DD - 2 aka Clara. Oh and me, 32 - mom aka Jessica - but I have no plans on referring to myself in the third person so that's probably not relevant....
This is the kids and I when we went in 09. I was going to crop it but find the kid wearing the die yuppy scum picture too funny to cut out.

Here is DH and Sapphire, Bastian and Esme before our MNSSHP in 09.

We had booked 304 at vacationcentralflorida. If you go on the site you can see the pics and take the tour.

*phew* well I finally started my first trip report. Next to figure out how to link the different posts all on one page..........

Index

Spidermanning
The World's Longest Trip to WDW
Finally!!
Tusker House
Afternoon at DHS
Typhoon Lagoon
MNSSHP
Universal
Epcot
Magic Kingdom
DTD and some random thoughts...

Last edited by MamaJessie; 02-03-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
ThereYouSeeHer
DIS Veteran

Hey! I'm here!

Btw, to link posts, click on the # that's in the upper right-hand corner of a particular post. Highlight and copy the URL or web address that's displayed. If you're listing your posts in your first post, click "Edit" on your first post, and then add the post link the same way you added your TR to your signature.

Hope that makes sense!

2003 May (Offsite), 2007 Dec (ASMo), 2008 Dec (POP), 2009 Dec (ASMu, CSR, and AKL), 2010 Dec (ASSp, SSR), 2011 Sep (Dream, POFQ), 2012 Sep (OKW, Dream), 2013 Aug (AoA, POR, ASMo), 2014 Nov (Poly, ASMu), 2015 Oct (Vero, Magic, FW Cabins)

Disney Bingo
Values left to try: None! (Done: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, POP, AOA)
Moderates left to try: CBR, FW (Done: POFQ, POR, CSR)
Deluxes & Villas left to try: GF, Poly, WL, YC, BC, BW, CR (Done: OKW, AKL, SSR)
Beach Resorts left to try: HHI, Vero
Cruise Ships left to try: Magic, Wonder, Fantasy (Done: Dream)
Months left to try: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Jun, Jul, Oct, Nov (Done: May, Aug, Sep, Dec)

Splish, Splash, the Dream was a Blast! 9/1/2011 Trip Report
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Just happened upon your TR and excited about reading along. My condolences on the passing of your Mother. I remember you from the November thread last year, see I too have postponed our trip first from last November to this October and now it has been pushed to March 2012.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 10-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Marblies
DIS Veteran

Excited to follow along!

2008 A**Cheer, 2008 ASM Girl's trip, 2009 ASM with DH too, 2010 POP Girl's Christmas trip, 2011 POP Just Girls, 2012 AoA Last girl's only trip EVER? (DD22 is getting married and doesn't think she can leave her hubby at home like I do), Feb.2013 POP to SS to AoA Crashing the Disneymoon with the inlaws! Sept. 2013 POP Girl's trip
Old 10-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Spidermanning
This is a story about a nine year old. My nine year old. He is one of those kids that when you meet him you say things like "he's all boy". He moves slowly when he gets ready for school and is distracted easily. He likes climbing our hallway walls. We call it Spidermanning. He puts one foot and one hand on each side of the hall way and "Spidermans" up to the ceiling. It drives me nuts because he has smudged and dirtied and even made two small holes on the hallway walls. Anyway, the morning, yes - the morning we are going to start our 20 hour drive to Orlando he Spidermans when I tell him to get dressed for school and falls, immediately screaming that he cannot use his hand. I do not have a June Cleaver moment. I have a crazy loon moment. I just say over and over "You aren't serious right? Are you serious? Did you seriously just break your wrist? Is this seriously happening?" etc over and over. So after calling my sister crying, her leaving work and coming to the house so she can watch my girls (and I could use her car) going to the pedi and then the ortho-whatever (and yes, getting to explain Spidermanning to every nurse and dr. there ) we find out he has a buckle fracture and a separate crack in the bone across. It is actually out of whack too so he has to press on the bone to straighten it. The dr. was amazing and gave him a cast even though you should usually wait for swelling to go down. He told us because of the swelling he could not waterproof it, but sold us a cast protector. With the help of Dr. Awesome and my sister we were ready to rebound again...

Last edited by MamaJessie; 10-06-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

The worlds longest trip to WDW

Ok so not really the worlds longest trip but by the end of it, it sure felt like it. We got out the door about two hours later than anticipated. The dr's visits really slowed us down. So we finally get in the car and about 15 minutes in my 4 yo had to pee <--that is what I think now, at the time I was more like --> So after our charming detour in New Haven we got back on the road. And hit some traffic. The goal was to drive enough before we hit traffic that it would be dinner time. Well, that obviously didn't happen. So we moved at a snail's pace towards WDW. Thankfully most of the driving was uneventful., just poor DS complaining that his cast was feeling tight and his arm hurt Poor guy. I drove the nightshift and stopped at South of the Border to switch off. So on we went with the napping and pee stopping and driving and realized we were way behind schedule. We had planned to go to the condo, drop off our stuff and then go visit DH's family on the other side of Florida, about 1 1/2 hours away. Well that was not going to happen and he really wanted to see his grandmother (she has been ill) so we drove straight there.
I have pictures of this but do not care to share them. My family had just spent 24+ hours in a car and we looked like... well, we looked like we had just spent 24+ hours in a car but then finally it was time to head to the condo. And of course we got lost. This was my first "This would have been so much easier if we were just staying on site" moment. Drove up and down the road in the heavy rain and thunderstorms and might I add getting crankier and crankier with each passing second. The rain got so heavy we had to pull over in a parking lot and watch the rain. Oh man. I was feeling so jinxed.....
Old 10-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
ThereYouSeeHer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie View Post
SpidermanningI do not have a June Cleaver moment. I have a crazy loon moment. I just say over and over "You aren't serious right? Are you serious? Did you seriously just break your wrist? Is this seriously happening?" etc over and over. So after going to the pedi and then the ortho-whatever (and yes, getting to explain Spidermanning to every nurse and dr. there ) we find out he has a buckle fracture and a separate crack in the bone across. It is actually out of whack too so he has to press on the bone to straighten it. The dr. was amazing and gave him a cast even though you should usually wait for swelling to go down. He told us because of the swelling he could not waterproof it, but sold us a cast protector.
So we rebounded again....
Oh my goodness! I couldn't even imagine that happening the day of our departure. I love your comment about not having a June Cleaver moment. I can totally relate!

2003 May (Offsite), 2007 Dec (ASMo), 2008 Dec (POP), 2009 Dec (ASMu, CSR, and AKL), 2010 Dec (ASSp, SSR), 2011 Sep (Dream, POFQ), 2012 Sep (OKW, Dream), 2013 Aug (AoA, POR, ASMo), 2014 Nov (Poly, ASMu), 2015 Oct (Vero, Magic, FW Cabins)

Disney Bingo
Values left to try: None! (Done: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, POP, AOA)
Moderates left to try: CBR, FW (Done: POFQ, POR, CSR)
Deluxes & Villas left to try: GF, Poly, WL, YC, BC, BW, CR (Done: OKW, AKL, SSR)
Beach Resorts left to try: HHI, Vero
Cruise Ships left to try: Magic, Wonder, Fantasy (Done: Dream)
Months left to try: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Jun, Jul, Oct, Nov (Done: May, Aug, Sep, Dec)

Splish, Splash, the Dream was a Blast! 9/1/2011 Trip Report
Old 10-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYouSeeHer View Post
Hey! I'm here!

Btw, to link posts, click on the # that's in the upper right-hand corner of a particular post. Highlight and copy the URL or web address that's displayed. If you're listing your posts in your first post, click "Edit" on your first post, and then add the post link the same way you added your TR to your signature.

Hope that makes sense!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
Just happened upon your TR and excited about reading along. My condolences on the passing of your Mother. I remember you from the November thread last year, see I too have postponed our trip first from last November to this October and now it has been pushed to March 2012.
Oh man I didn't realize you had to postpone again. Hope you have an awesome time in march to make up for all the postponing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marblies View Post
Excited to follow along!
Excited you are here
Old 10-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Finally!

So after driving up and down 192, we finally found our street, and Windsor Hills. We dragged our tired selves up to our room and . The condo was much bigger than it seemed through the pics and video tour. We walked in and everyone pepped back up and started exploring our new digs. They have a lot of framed pics around the condo and the kids had fun checking them all out. The kids bathroom is gigantic!! I started to unpack in a frenzied kind of way since we had ADRs at 8am for TH. All in all I have to say we were impressed with the condo. I had a few issues but it was more with the management company and Windsor Hills management than with the owners or vacationcentralflorida.
-My complaints about the cleaning/management group are....
Our bed sheet had some sort of gummy/tacky/grayish streak on my side of the bed so I had to take them off. The only way to describe it is it looked like when I wash my kids clothes with a sticker on. It looked exactly like that.
-My 2 yo also found half a tube of toothpaste under one of the beds, and no it wasn't ours
- Boy are they stingy with the paper products. I asked what I should bring and they said there would be enough to last a normal family a week There was about 1/12th roll of toilet paper on each roll, 4 tissues and 3 paper towels. And then there was a note that said to make sure we replaced everything.
-And my final complaint , there was a sign over the washer that asked me to wash all the towels before we left I have two problems with this. The first is the fact that I was not planning on that and it specifically stated on the website if I felt like throwing in a load of towels it would be appreciated, but that was it. They did not have any detergent there and all I had for detergent was two purex sheets I got as a sample and I was not about to go out and buy detergent just to wash their towels, seeing as though I did pay a cleaning fee. Which leads me to the other problem I had with that, the towels we used were basically cleaned on the honor system? What if someone threw them in with no soap?

But the bed was comfy and after sleeping a few hours in the car seemed like heaven and we all slept soundly - ready for Animal Kingdom and DHS!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYouSeeHer View Post
Oh my goodness! I couldn't even imagine that happening the day of our departure. I love your comment about not having a June Cleaver moment. I can totally relate!
Yeah - I am not getting a nomination for mom of the year. Thanks for understanding it's hard to tell the world you had a crappy reaction to your kid breaking a bone.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #11
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Up next...

Tusker House

We woke up early and moved as quickly as we could to get out the door for our ADR. As we were getting our stuff together we realized I forgot the set of markers I bought for autographs So before we could go we made a quick stop at the 7-11 for some pens. The big kids had a sharpie for the vinylmation. So now we are finally on the road to AK and I am getting progressively more nervous because we still have to pick up Esme's ticket and I am worried we are going to be late. We get to the window to pay for parking and the CM, Allison, gives us a paper and tells us to follow the route on the right. We have never parked before so we didn't think anything of it until we pulled up front and someone came and questioned us until he saw our pass. He then showed us where to park for our magical moment. How cool!! Wish we had thanked Allison more but we didn't really grasp the special privilege she was giving us.

DS wanted to know if you could buy the spears as a souvenir...

So we finally got in and seated at TH. We had eaten there for lunch before but not breakfast. The food was so good.

This specifically made me very happy. The hash with the cornbread baked on top. Oh my gosh, so very good. If you go have a dish of it for me!

So after we stuffed ourselves silly we went to hit the park!!

First off, everyone's favorite - the Safari!! We got right on and about 49 seconds in, we stopped. Apparently an ostrich was blocking the path. Since we were full and happy we chatted and talked and passed the time and in about 10 minutes we were ready to go! I will not bore you with the overwhelming amount of safari pics I have, but I will share a few

I cannot remember the exact order of the rides we went on, but we tried Kali River for the first time and loved it. Clara had a great time splashing with Rich, and then me, while we utilized the rider swap. We went to TTBAB, another favorite of ours. Sapphire and I tried our first FP ever for EE and went with the family to Dinosaur while we waited. I made Rich go on it this time because he was wary last time but I knew he would love it. And he did!! I am so glad he tried it. And Sapphire and I LOVED EE. We had never rode it before and it we got the front car. I was terrified (in the best way) to be perched at the end of the track.

So we enjoyed our morning at AK and got ready to hop over to DHS.

Last edited by MamaJessie; 10-07-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Joining in!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
sillylily
DIS Veteran

I'm here, Jess, sorry it took me so long!

Old 10-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAPirate View Post
Joining in!
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylily View Post
I'm here, Jess, sorry it took me so long!
Now it's a party

Better finish writing about my first day
Old 10-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Afternoon at DHS aka Wife knows best..

So I am a good DISer. I read all the park tips and pay attention to them. About a week before vacation I picked DH up a pair of sneakers. i told him he should wear them so he has something comfy to wear on vacation. He didn't like the way they looked and wanted those sandles with the nubby bottoms, Adidas slides. I tell him, maybe sneakers would be better. he ignores me So he buys a pair of Adidas slides....

When we get in the car after AK DH informs his feet hurt. Not just tired aches but those nubby things are painfully digging in. Really, maybe those sneakers were a good idea after all... Well we were hot and tired and bastian's arm was getting swollen in his cast so we drove off property to get some cold drinks and enjoy the AC for awhile. Between the sore feet, cranky boy and snarky wife we were not our most charming when we started DHS. I really don't even remember walking in, I remember thinking we really could have used a day to acclimate before jumping into the parks. Apparently we need sleep and hydration to be happy people, who knew? But because WDW is amazing about 20 minutes in we are back to our charming lovely selves We went to the Great Movie Ride first. We always love that ride and the little girls just watched Wizard of Oz recently so they thought that was awesome. Then we hit Star Tours. I was pretty sure we would just spend the rest of the day there . Clara was the only one who could not ride it so we swapped out and got have very different experiences. It was awesome. Rich and Sebastian did not want to leave, but I wanted to get to Playhouse Junior so I dragged them away. On our walk over, my son saw a CM standing outside of American Idol drop her pen, so he ran over, picked it up and gave it to her. Well this was apparently the sweetest CM on the planet. She said he was so awesome we should wait there a minute. I cannot lie. I was very excited. On the outside I looked like this but inside I was I just had this feeling I knew what it was going to be. Well after a couple minutes DH says "What exactly are we waiting for?" and started to seem impatient. i told him to wait and whatever it was, was special to Bastian. She popped back out and asked how many were in our party, we told her and she went back in. She emerged about two minutes later with 6 Fastpasses for TSMM!! Honestly, I grabbed my chest, choked back tears and said "We never got to ride this last time and had no hopes of riding it today." She said she wanted to reward him for being so kind Woo hoo, raising my kids right is nice and all but FASTPASSES?!?! Party bonus!! My son was on and kept telling us that it was great that he could save the day.

So we went to Playhouse Junior and DH said he would go pick up some fastpasses because Playhouse Junior is not his thing. We had an awesome time at Playhosue Junior, I love it. Well, ok I don't love it for me, I lvoe watching the kids watch it. There was a moment that absolutely melted my heart, and it was surprisingly my nine year old. He was singing along to the Jake and the Neverland pirates and said to me "Mom, I love singing these little kid songs. Thanks for bringing me here to let me sing with the little kids, it is so fun" I love that little guy.

Then we went over to.. TSMM!! Woo hoo!! We are cruising through the FP line, we get to the part where you join the regular line and all of a sudden Clara declares "I have to potty RIGHT NOW!!!!" She means business so Rich hauls off backwards through the line and the kids and I hang out over to the side at the front of the line. Thankfully she made it to the potty, and it only took a few minutes. Just hope no DISers there thought DH was line cutting First screen didn't work for us but had fun on the rest of the ride. I have to say though if I didn't have a FP I would never, ever wait 80 minutes (that was the standby time when we got there) for that ride. Happy we got to experience it, thanks to Bastian

We then went back over to Star Tours. Bastian was nervous about riding anything crazy because he didn't want to jostle his arm too much so since he loved it that's where Rich got a FP for Sebastian and himself and Esme. Then Sapphire and I got to go on Rock n Roller coaster. She has really turned into a coaster lover So since everyone was getting tired from our day and the fact that we were still sleep deprived we knew it was going to be the last ride of the night. The story of the ride was good and I was looking for the special hand signal I heard Steven Tyler gives and then we got on and IT WAS FUN!! Then right before the ride is supposed to stop it jerked and stopped and the ride went silent. Now, if you asked me if I was claustrophobic before this trip I would have said no. But sitting there, with that huge head harness on, my head banging from the abrupt stop and slam into the headrest.. I started to sweat. Right behind my knees it started, little pinpricks. Then I felt this tingling in my legs and fluttering in my stomach. All i wanted to do was climb out of the seat, at any cost. i started to understand how an animal chews it's limb off to get out of a trap. I craned my head around to see how Sapphire was dealing with it and she was all smiles "Woo!! That was awesome!!" So we started talking about the ride which made me start to feel a little better. Honestly just writing it out now I feel all panicked all over again. *shudder* So then it finally starts up again and we pull in and the CM asked "Did you love it?!?!" and we were all silent. She says "That good huh?" and a woman in the back says "You could have at least let us know what was going on, there are real fears with people dealing with that you know" Some guy in a dress shirt comes out to talk to her and they never addressed it. Oh well, all's well that ends well I guess. And we were all ready for bed!

We apparently did not take a lot of pics there, but here are a couple action shots

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: