Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #76
Fastpaks
Living the Dream, One Image at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
ROYAL PROMENADE! .... we took THOUSANDS of pictures!!!
So how many batteries did you take? Or did you try rechargeable again... Dark side of the moon... made me LOL. I swear it took me back to my childhood... I miss living in Fl at times.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #77
karajeboo
DISmom by land and by sea!

Quote:
There is an awesome show on TLC or sometimes on the Planet Green channel called Extreme Cruise Ship which shows what they go through on turnaround day. It's actually filmed on sister ship Oasis but no less amazing.

If you ever catch it showing, be sure to watch it or DVR it! It's a show any cruise fan would enjoy. Here's the sneak peek on youtube.
OK, here's how sad I am. I found this a couple of months ago - there were two episodes that I DVR'd - this one on the Oasis that is incredible, and another on the QM2 Transatlantic. Yes, I DVR'd them and watch them over and over..... And I want to go on a Transatlantic crossing now....

Check out my TRs: DISmoms 3! If the Tiara Fits..... May, 2011
The McSparklesons are BACK! And they are CRUISIN! March, 2011
DISmoms Round Two: Don't Axe, Don't Tell May 2010 - A joint TR with my fellow DISmoms!
On the 1st Day of Christmas, Walt Disney Gave to Me...... December 2009; Belly Up at the Dolphin September, 2009 ,
Yes, I AM the Upgrade Queen May, 2009, DISmoms Gone WILD!!!! , May, 2009
A Joint TR with "podsnel" and "Camster0307"

Upgrades, Underwear, and Upside Down Fun - a TR full of "new" adventures! , March, 2009
5/2012 DCL Dream (DISmoms 4) 3/2012 DCL Magic Western Caribbean 12/2011 BWV (Mom/Dad's 50th Anniversary) 5/2011 BWV (DISmoms Gone Wild III) DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean (First family cruise!) 5/2010 BCV (DISmoms Gone Wild Part II) 4/2010 CSR (Mother/Daughter Trip12/2009 VWL (Family Christmas Trip) 9/2009 Dolphin (Mother/Daughter Trip) 8/2009 ASSP (Mothers/Daughters Trip with Neighbors) 5/2009 AKL (DISmoms Gone Wild Trip), 5/2009 AKL (Family Trip), 3/2009 CSR (Mother/Daughter Weekend), 11/2008 CSR (Mother/Daugter Trip), 9/2008 Yacht Club (Anniversary Trip), 5/2008 POP (Grand Gathering),3/2008 POR (P&PP), 5/2006 POP (Family Trip), 5/2000 CSR (Business), 5/1998 BWI (Honeymoon), Multiple offsite adventures!
karajeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #78
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sometimes it's good, sometimes at 6:30 AM when all you want to do is sleep you don't want to hear "Thye've given up on you, you're on page 2. You really need to get an installment up before everyone stops reading. You do know you got that part wrong, right it was (insert whatever activity, food, place) we liked, not (insert other thing here). You got your points all wrong..blah blah blah"

Just kidding, you know I luv ya hun!
Um, as far as I can see he has computer access too! Where's his TR?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #79
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #80
DisneyZell
Likes Adventures on the High Seas

I'm in!

We have talked the last couple of years about trying the huge ships from RC. So I look forward to seeing how the trip goes and all the juicy details. You take great pics! Keep up the good work.

DZ
DisneyZell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #81
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Sure it's big enough...but look at the location....

As we walked onboard the ship, we were entering right smack dab in the middle of the Royal Promenade, Royal Caribbean’s now signature deck space featuring, shipping, restaurants, bars, seating, parades and parties. First deployed as part of the Voyager class ships, it has been included in each ship built for RCCL since about 1999. The Promenade is often described as something akin to a mall, and that description is pretty accurate, however on Allure it has some features that are quite unique. First of all it spans the area of three decks (from deck 5 to deck 8) and has a glass ceiling skylight that looks up on Central Park (yes! This ship has a PARK!).

(note- I must apologize as not all of these photos are mine, I had to pull a few from Google and Flickr that I forgot to take. There is even too much to take pictures of it all!!! Actually there is more to it than that- a camera was indeed harmed in the making of this TR. You won't want to miss that story so stay tuned, trust me.

On the ships with a Promenade, a fancy car is always the focal point. It all started with Voyager of the Seas and has continued on all of the ships since. The story goes that RCCL CEO Richard Fain donated his own Morgan Sportster after seeing a tiny replica of one placed inside the pre-construction model of the Voyager. He said it just felt “right”, and the tradition has continued ever since. The car on Allure is a burgundy colored 1936 Mercedes Benz 540K. (and it looks much nicer without the two creepy plastic people inside..in my very humble opinion.)

Shopping: you’ll find most of the stores and merchandise onboard here. The stores include the creatively named “The Shop” which carries the RCCL logo gear; there is a Liquor shop, a perfume shop, a jewelry shop, a boutique fashion store (Prince +Greene), the Focus photo gallery, and even a Guess store.

RCCL exec 1: “What are we gonna call this place where we sell all of our logo branded merch?”

RCCL exec 2: “I don’t know…..hmmm…..can’t really think of anything. How about we just call it “The Shop”

RCCL exec 1” “Genius! Now let’s move up to the pool deck, I have some bars I need help naming”

There are kiosks and counters located in the center of the Promenade space where the “specials” and sale merchandise are hawked. The times around dinner and the shows are particularly busy around those locations.

Guest Services. Try as you might, you can’t completely avoid it. We did the best we could; I think we only went 3 times.

Did you know? Princess Fiona is the Godmother of Allure. You’ll find her picture in the Promenade near Guest Services.

There is this uber-fashionable couch, which is really hard to catch without a butt in it:

Looking up into Central Park:

As far as food goes, there is the free-of-charge Promenade Café, featuring deli sandwiches and baked goods such as cookies and brownies, coffee and tea;

Sorrento’s pizzeria with pizza by-the-slice or there is a ”Create Your Own” pizza bar, plus salads.

For a fee restaurants located here are the Cupcake Cupboard and – of course- the first…the only…Starbucks at sea!

There are a few unique bars to choose from in the Royal Promenade. There is, of course, the RCCL signature nautical themed Schooner Bar:

The more upscale Champagne and Martini Bar

The Latin club Boleros

Bow & Stern, the traditional English Pub

To help those of us, like me, who don’t know our aft from a hole in the ground:

***Continued Below***

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #82
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Sure it's big enough...but look at the location.... (Part 2)

On Air Karaoke and Sports bar

And last but not least, the most innovative bar at sea: The Rising Tide.

The Rising Tide bar is a not just a bar…it’s a RIDE! And being a certified Disney FREAK, you know I loves me some RIDES!!! Every 15 minutes it rises from the Royal Promenade to Central Park, and then descends back down again. It takes less than 3 minutes to travel the 3 decks, but it is so much fun!
Rising Tide at the ground floor:

As she moves up:

See the awesome “World of Color” like fountains below it? Gorgeous!

As we walked through the Promenade, I was struck by how everyone claims you will be amazed at how large it is. Actually I thought it seemed smaller than I expected. Yes it was a deck taller than on Freedom class, but because that class of ship actually has more floors of rooms overlooking the Promenade, it just didn’t seem that much bigger to me. Plus on embarkation day with everyone coming onboard right there, it was a madhouse of epic proportions.

We had a couple of dining reservations to secure that we weren’t able to get online prior to the cruise, and it wasn’t that easy to figure out how to do. There were information desks, but the lines were so long. There was another staffed area that looked like they were handling reservations, which they were…but for excursions only. Finally a staff member gave us a phone number to call to get our dining reservations taken care off, so we headed off looking for a house phone.

We found one by the elevators and were easily able to take care of one of the two reservations. Since the other one was a time change, not an outright booking, we had to call back. Why not head off to grab a bite to eat first?

Into the elevator we go. Thank goodness the elevators tell us which day it is, it is quite easy to forget!

The elevators are great, they have pictorial signs to show you where you want to go:

In a matter of seconds we will arrive at my very favorite neighborhood, Central Park!

ETA: Please forgive me, I am losing my mind! I forgot the score! While I do love the gorgeousness of the Atruim on DCL (especially on the new ships), I don't think it can really compare to the Royal Promenade as a gathering place. Plus, Mickey get your housekeepers back on task- when we were last on the Magic the gorgeous Chiluhly chandelier had about a half inch of dust on it- totally unacceptable!

Shrek-2
Mickey-1

Current Total:

Shrek-8
Mickey-9

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report

Last edited by nenner1; 10-06-2011 at 05:54 PM.
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #83
livingis2me
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Current Total:

Shrek-8
Mickey-9
Uh oh Mickey....

Love the promanade!

Ron
Old 10-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #84
karajeboo
DISmom by land and by sea!

Shut the front door!!!! A bar. And a ride. Together? It's like peanut butter and jelly, Shrek and Fiona, why it's even like peas and carrots! Run Kara Run!!!!

I. Must. Take. This. Cruise!!!! Just for the bar ride!!!!!!

Check out my TRs: DISmoms 3! If the Tiara Fits..... May, 2011
The McSparklesons are BACK! And they are CRUISIN! March, 2011
DISmoms Round Two: Don't Axe, Don't Tell May 2010 - A joint TR with my fellow DISmoms!
On the 1st Day of Christmas, Walt Disney Gave to Me...... December 2009; Belly Up at the Dolphin September, 2009 ,
Yes, I AM the Upgrade Queen May, 2009, DISmoms Gone WILD!!!! , May, 2009
A Joint TR with "podsnel" and "Camster0307"

Upgrades, Underwear, and Upside Down Fun - a TR full of "new" adventures! , March, 2009
5/2012 DCL Dream (DISmoms 4) 3/2012 DCL Magic Western Caribbean 12/2011 BWV (Mom/Dad's 50th Anniversary) 5/2011 BWV (DISmoms Gone Wild III) DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean (First family cruise!) 5/2010 BCV (DISmoms Gone Wild Part II) 4/2010 CSR (Mother/Daughter Trip12/2009 VWL (Family Christmas Trip) 9/2009 Dolphin (Mother/Daughter Trip) 8/2009 ASSP (Mothers/Daughters Trip with Neighbors) 5/2009 AKL (DISmoms Gone Wild Trip), 5/2009 AKL (Family Trip), 3/2009 CSR (Mother/Daughter Weekend), 11/2008 CSR (Mother/Daugter Trip), 9/2008 Yacht Club (Anniversary Trip), 5/2008 POP (Grand Gathering),3/2008 POR (P&PP), 5/2006 POP (Family Trip), 5/2000 CSR (Business), 5/1998 BWI (Honeymoon), Multiple offsite adventures!
karajeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #85
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

Wow that looks like one massive ship! Actually, it doesn't even look like you are on a ship at all. I couldn't even imagine what it was like to be there.

Looking forward to more!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #86
UGAFan0829
DIS Veteran

I have to say that I am totally wow'ed right now. I never in a million years thought I would ever want to cruise on any line but DCL, but I believe you may have changed that! I think the fact that Starbucks is on board may have something to do with it! Oh, and cupcakes!

I really, really can't wait for more!
UGAFan0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #87
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

Ahhhhh, Starbucks would probably get me on board
Old 10-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #88
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Current Total:

Shrek-8
Mickey-9
Time to rig the poll !! Sorry it is the Disney fan in me speaking, not me !!!!
narsibvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #89
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

That bar looks so cool!

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #90
livingis2me
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsibvl View Post
Time to rig the poll !! Sorry it is the Disney fan in me speaking, not me !!!!
Well this trip (and trip reporter) is based out of Florida....

Ron

Tags
allure, cruise, rccl, rci, shrek

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: