Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #76
princesscinderella
Mouseketeer
 
princesscinderella's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South FLA
Posts: 466

We did mixology with Sean from Trinidad too he was awesome and we walked out of there sideways,
__________________
Been at Disney World my whole life!
There at least once a year since 95'.
Disneyland 2001, 2008 & 10/2 - 10/5/2012
Disney Dream cruise on 7/29/2011, 1/26/12, 7/21/13
Disney Fantasy on 7/28/12 and 3/30/2013
Epocot F&W 1/2 marathon 2012
Aulani 6/13
princesscinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #77
MomsOf2boys
Has obsessive finger chatter disorder
 
MomsOf2boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,990

Funny that they charged for the water.
__________________
Susan
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
MomsOf2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #78
luvvwl
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
And. Maybe, just possibly, Elvis is still alive.
Hardy, har, har.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
Castaway Cay Comes a’ Callin’

Okay, let me get this straight: THIS is the day we went back to Cabanas for breakfast and then again for lunch, right? (The person to whom I direct this question understands. )
Lololol! Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
Just like the previous morning, we sallied forth into Cove Café for our lattes (and 2 more holes punched on our club card). Though Cabanas wasn’t crowded, we slipped outside to watch Castaway Cay creep closer. It was a glorious day, warm and sunny, but I had been hoping for a more overcast morning. Heresy you say? Not if you were preparing to run in the 5K starting an hour and a half later. I typically prefer warmer weather for running but not when you have to slice through the humidity with a knife. This morning it was obvious—it was gonna be a drencher. In keeping with my habit on race days, I ate and drank sparingly (I do that the night before, too, though. . .not. . .last. . .night); no need to test if the photographic software would recognize my face barfing behind a coconut tree. To the beauty-with-the-radiant-smile, however, more important than the race was another event.
“I don’t need no stinking race, and you’ll be fine, babe,” said she, “I have a date with Captain Jack Sparrow!”
Fateful words those.
I will point out here that I had already visited the gym before breakfast and therefore had no need of a race. Just so you know. And. You just HAD to remind me huh? But. I do love the way in which you refer to me. Gold stars for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
After a brief stop in our cabin to finish packing a small bag for our morning on CC, we used our hand-held GPS system to navigate our way to the disembarkation gangway (Deck 1, btw) and started the hike to the bike rental shop where the race began. To be fair, she-who-adores-me was planning to see me off at the start of the race, but halfway to our destination, it was clear she might not make it to the race start then back to find Cap’n Jack in time for a photo. . .wherever that was to be (play the ominous music). I won’t say that the walk to the bike shop is long, but I do claim to have met Dr. Livingstone, and I swear Amelia Earhart was peeking out from behind a sandy knoll along the way. I convinced her (luvvwl not Amelia) to turn back and find Cap’n Jack. At this point, I’ll leave it to the pirate-y lass to tell the story of her quest for Cap’n Jack. . .heh, heh, heh. . .
I had every intention of seeing you off, but since you didn’t think you’d be longer than 20 minutes or so I knew I had to be first in line for that pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
The race began at 9:15 with about 30 craz. . .umm, runners present. That’s the thing about being addicted to running (or in my case, knowing I had to offset all the drinking and eating I was doing on this cruise), you like to run in unique locales. I’ve run on both sides of both oceans, in tropical locations, in sub-zero snow squalls, across swamps, and through mountains passes. Yet, I’d never run on CC (unless you count running up to the bar), much less in a race on CC. I knew I’d not be the fastest, just as I figured I wouldn’t be the slowest, but what another aspect I’ve long enjoyed about running is that it is a test of will where the primary competition is yourself not those around you. The race director gave us a quick briefing about the route then off we went. We took a small lane to a second small lane, turned right then 50 yards later hooked a left onto the old runway. Two hundred or so yards later, we turned right off the runway onto some twisting bike loop and proceeded to follow it for about around back to the runway (approx. 1 mile) where we spilled to the right toward the adult beach and the little cul-de-sac turn there, then we retraced our steps all the way back to the finish line. It was hot. . .and humid. . .and hot. . . But, to my knowledge no one needed medical attention, though they did have the staff doctor hanging around the start/finish line. I finished third, though that is relative in the sense there were only thirty people in the race and the winner finished a good two minutes ahead of me. But, the way I figure, I still came in first. I was easily 10-12 years older than he was, so adjusting for age, that puts me ahead by 30 seconds. On the other hand, he had this totally cool tattoo on his stomach, so give him back those 30 seconds. But, I was on a cruise with the woman of my dreams—hands down, I win. (For the record and those of you who share my love of running, the pace of first racer to cross the finish line was around 6:55 per mile.) At that point, I grabbed some water (“$2, please!”), a seat at the tram stop just steps away, and waited for my sweetie to show up. . .
You are so sweet! Plus. You don’t need any totally cool tatoo’s on your stomach. Just sayin’…

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
Next up: More on CC Day or "How I Discovered a New Weight Loss Activity" by luvvwl
NEWSFLASH!!!! It IS possible to take a Disney cruise and not gain any weight. “How?”, you ask. It’s EASY. Just do the Castaway Cay Marathon. “Marathon?”, you ask. Oh yes, you didn’t know? It goes something like this…

1) Have the desire to take a picture with Captain Jack
2) Check the Navigator for the time and location of his appearance
3) Show up at said location

Sounds easy, right? That’s what I thought. According to the Castaway Cay-vents there were two appearances for Captain Jack. The first at 9:30, “on the island pathway between the ship and Scuttle’s Cove” and the second was at 10:45 at the Pelican Point tram stop. As we disembarked from the ship, we decided to walk to Scuttle’s Cove. A of all) because we generally try to walk when we can and B of all) so I could scope out the Captain Jack picture location. The plan was to see SD off at 9:15 and then get back and score first place in line. We would try to do the 10:45 time, but we had an eleven o’clock reservation for parasailing and we weren’t sure we’d be able to stay for the photo. This way, we could be sure I’d get it, and it would give me something to do while I waited for the crazy man I adore.

It became quickly apparent that finding the location was not going to be easy and that the 5K start was located NOWHERE NEAR where said location was supposed to be. Having discovered that, we formulated Plan B. SD would forge ahead and I would inquire of a CM at Scuttle’s Cove as to the top secret, highly classified location of the portrait session. That sounds easy, right? Rational, even. Except for one thing. The castmembers didn’t seem to have any clue as to where this QuicklyBecomingaMissionImpossible was. They suggested I had come too far and to walk back toward the ship.

Well, okay. Anything for Captain Jack. So, I started back. I snapped some pics along the way.











All the while, keeping a sharp eagle eye out for ANYTHING that might indicate SOME CLUE as to where this alleged photo op was.

Nada. Zip. And. Zilch.

I walked back as far as the first photo op’s on the pier. Now. Keep in mind it was already pretty hot. As in, not just fry an egg on the sidewalk hot, but hard boil it, even. I had spent some time spiffying myself up for this date and it was all melting away. Like the Wicked Witch of the West. (only in a nice and pretty way, of course) This CM suggested I had once again gone too far. It’s on the pathway. Just beyond the bridge. You’ll see it.

Uh huh. Apparently I need new contacts lenses or I have contracted early Alzheimer’s because I walked that freakin’ island path about TEN times ROUND TRIP. I kid you not. And NEVER ONCE saw ANYTHING that remotely indicated that IT was THE SPOT.

I was ready to throw in the towel. I no longer cared about Captain Jack and his great person of rugged dashed-ness. I was hot. I was tired. And I wanted a BIG glass of something with a lot of alcohol and a lounge chair. And then, on the island pathway between the dock and Scuttle’s Cove I came across a harried looking photographer talking on a wave phone.

BIG CLUE!!!!

I patiently awaited the end of her conversation. “Excuse me, would you happen to know where the super-duper, top secret government location of the Captain Jack photo session might be?” “That’s what I’m trying to find out right now, miss.” Huh??? The PHOTOGRAPHER can’t even find it?????? But, you CAN’T miss it. They TOLD me so!

Yeah, right.

In a short while another castmember comes down the godforsaken island pathway. And patiently walks us to the location. Where I FINALLY scored FIRST PLACE in line.

The Coveted Photo



Here’s my advice to anyone wanting their picture taken with Captain Jack on Castaway Cay: FORGET IT!!!! No, not really. If you have (and you’ll need it, trust me, I know) a VERY, and I mean VERY, keen eye, about 20 feet or so as you come off the bridge you’ll notice a small break in the posts along the walkway where the roping is a different color. That’s THE ONLY identifier to this top secret location. If you can find that, you’re golden. Otherwise, wait until after picture taking time and follow the line. Better yet, go to the Pelican Plunge tram stop. The location there is just behind the Cabana check in hut. MUCH easier to find, but you won’t get the ship in the background, obviously. Was it worth it?? Of course it was. Not because of the photo. Because of the shared memory we have and a story we’ll talk about for many years to come.


Last edited by luvvwl; 09-30-2011 at 10:50 PM.
luvvwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #79
luvvwl
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesscinderella View Post
We did mixology with Sean from Trinidad too he was awesome and we walked out of there sideways,
He might have TRIED to tell me you really should have the proper ratio for the perfect drink. But. I'll tell you want I told him: You can NEVER have too much tequila!!!

luvvwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #80
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used
 
Backstage_Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida
Posts: 11,394

love your trip report, very entertaining!
__________________

Last edited by Backstage_Gal; 09-30-2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: What, no edits?? You're Flagged!!
Backstage_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #81
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to
 
sleepydog25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Twixt here and there
Posts: 3,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesscinderella View Post
We did mixology with Sean from Trinidad too he was awesome and we walked out of there sideways,
Did he also tell you that everyone had to finish each drink before the next began? He held our group to that. . .not that it was a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsOf2boys
Funny that they charged for the water.
I know!! lol There was a water fountain just steps away where many of us had gotten our last minute slurps of water there before the race. But, when you've just finished a steamy, sweaty, sauna-heat race and there's a CM directly in front of you standing behind an ice tub full of water, soft drinks, and fruit, it's hard to resist. Besides, in all races I've run (which are legion), the goodies at the finish line are always gratis. Without thinking, I scooped up a bottle of water and began thirstily chugging it down. "Two dollars, sir," the man said cheerily. After that, I refilled my bottle at the fountain while awaiting luvvwl at the Pelican Point tram stop just steps away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal
love your trip report, very entertaining!
Welcome aboard!! And, thanks! We'll try to do more editing so as not to incur the wrath of the Edit Line gods. . .
__________________
Patrick "aka" Sleepydog, Sleepy, or Slydog
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery



sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #82
princesscinderella
Mouseketeer
 
princesscinderella's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South FLA
Posts: 466

He made us this drink we later referred to as the Sean because it was so yummy, it was 6 raspberries (muddled) 1/2 oz of agave nectar, 1 1/2 oz of jack Daniels and 3oz of cranberry juice. It was delicious we had him write the recipe for us and we still make it in our pirate night light up drink of the day glasses. When we did it it was not on the navigator so it was only me, my husband and dizzy world from the dis boards it was really laid back and it was sean's second mixology class. We had so much fun and he was nervous it was quite cute, but he took good care of us the rest of the cruise. He wanted us to drink them all before we could go to the next one, my husband did not like the dirty martini (he hates olives) so I pitched in and drank it for him.
__________________
Been at Disney World my whole life!
There at least once a year since 95'.
Disneyland 2001, 2008 & 10/2 - 10/5/2012
Disney Dream cruise on 7/29/2011, 1/26/12, 7/21/13
Disney Fantasy on 7/28/12 and 3/30/2013
Epocot F&W 1/2 marathon 2012
Aulani 6/13
princesscinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #83
lvstitch
Yankees Rule
 
lvstitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Live in Las Vegas but will always be a NY'er
Posts: 5,125

Not only is this one of the best TR's I have read but luvvwd you have one of the best cruise wardrobes I have ever seen. Where did you get that sarong????
__________________
Christine, Joey, Stitch, KC

1986-1993 Four trips - off property, 1994 - Grand Floridian (Married in Disney World), 1995 - Polynesian, 2000 - Caribbean Beach Resort, 2004 - Wilderness Lodge (Concierge), 2005 - Pop Century/Disney Wonder/Grand Floridian(Concierge), 2007 - 1st Nanahead Cruise - Disney Magic 2008 - Disney Magic - Mex Riv , 2008 - Disney Magic - Western, 2009 - Port Oleans Riverside, 2011 - First ever 2-night cruise on the Wonder 2011 - Pop/B2B Disney Dream 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside - Royal Room
30+ Trips to Disneyland since 2002
lvstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #84
luvvwl
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvstitch View Post
Not only is this one of the best TR's I have read but luvvwd you have one of the best cruise wardrobes I have ever seen. Where did you get that sarong????
Why, thank you! Don't you just love that Mickey sarong? Years ago, before I met SD and he converted me to a VWL lover, I was a die-hard Polynesian lover. I have already told him that if they ever build DVC there, we're going to need more points lololol!

Anyway, I got that sarong at the gift shop at the Poly about 6 years ago.

Glad you're liking the report!!!
luvvwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:30 AM   #85
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to
 
sleepydog25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Twixt here and there
Posts: 3,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvvwl View Post
The Coveted Photo
Babe, all you had to do was ask me to dress up in my Cap'n Jack outfit that I packed for those alone times on our verandah. Just sayin'.



Here’s my advice to anyone wanting their picture taken with Captain Jack on Castaway Cay: FORGET IT!!!! No, not really. If you have (and you’ll need it, trust me, I know) a VERY, and I mean VERY, keen eye, about 20 feet or so as you come off the bridge you’ll notice a small break in the posts along the walkway where the roping is a different color. That’s THE ONLY identifier to this top secret location. If you can find that, you’re golden. Otherwise, wait until after picture taking time and follow the line. Better yet, go to the Pelican Plunge tram stop. The location there is just behind the Cabana check in hut. MUCH easier to find, but you won’t get the ship in the background, obviously. Was it worth it?? Of course it was. Not because of the photo. Because of the shared memory we have and a story we’ll talk about for many years to come.
This particular picture is pre-race, btw, or I would look as though I'd been swimming. . .which was about to come since we were heading off to go parasailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesscinderella
He made us this drink we later referred to as the Sean because it was so yummy, it was 6 raspberries (muddled) 1/2 oz of agave nectar, 1 1/2 oz of jack Daniels and 3oz of cranberry juice. It was delicious we had him write the recipe for us and we still make it in our pirate night light up drink of the day glasses. When we did it it was not on the navigator so it was only me, my husband and dizzy world from the dis boards it was really laid back and it was sean's second mixology class. We had so much fun and he was nervous it was quite cute, but he took good care of us the rest of the cruise. He wanted us to drink them all before we could go to the next one, my husband did not like the dirty martini (he hates olives) so I pitched in and drank it for him.
The "Sean" sounds good. I believe we'll have to try it as we have all those ingredients sitting in our cupboard as I type. We love olives, but dirty martinis just don't appeal that much to us. Now, that final shot drink with the Bailey's, Kahlua, and Grand Marnier? Yum and ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvstitch
Not only is this one of the best TR's I have read but luvvwd you have one of the best cruise wardrobes I have ever seen.
Thank you so much for the kind words--we do try to entertain as well as occasionally provide some helpful tips. lol As for her wardrobe, she threw it together in a matter of minutes. . . . .
__________________
Patrick "aka" Sleepydog, Sleepy, or Slydog
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery



sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #86
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran
 
bitlerzx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 554

absolutely love this trip report
__________________

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #87
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to
 
sleepydog25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Twixt here and there
Posts: 3,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitlerzx4 View Post
absolutely love this trip report
Thank you!! (Editor's note: We hope to have finished this TR by the time you go on your cruise. . .)
__________________
Patrick "aka" Sleepydog, Sleepy, or Slydog
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery



sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #88
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to
 
sleepydog25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Twixt here and there
Posts: 3,645

Castaway Cay Comes a’ Callin’, Episode 2

Okay, time for a quick recap. . .
a) Day ½ - Drove 7 hrs. Slept. No Tropical Storm Maria—yay!
b) Day 1 - Starbucks. . .mmmmm. . .hello, WDW! MK isn’t crowded? AP is back! DHS thrills. More sleep.
c) Day 2 – “You have to beat that DCL bus!!” Bruising on my arm ensues. “OMG! OMG!! OMG!!!!! It’s the Dream!” More bruising on my arm. Boarding pass 3! “Introducing the sleepydog and luvvwl family!” Cabanas. Stateroom goodies. DVC meet where I’m labeled Dopey—typecasting if I’ve ever seen it. Lifeboat drill. “When you wish upon a star. . .toooooot!” Dinner at RP, the Lost Table Chronicles. No foil Golden Mickeys for us. . .yet. . . moonlit verandah then sleep.
d) Day 3 – No Nassau for us. Cove Café. Working out. Ridonkulous rainforest showers. Cabanas sushi! Champagne in Pink. Sunbathing. Aquaducking. Mixology-ing. Dinner at AP, No Crush on Crush. Villains!! Sleep.
e) Day 4 – Castaway Cay 5K and Captain Jack “marathon”

I think that about covers it so far. . .

So, I’m waiting at the Pelican Point tram for my lovely to arrive, sweating up a storm having just finished the 5K (and unknown to me, she the marathon). I realize that good ol’ Cap’n Jack will be making his second appearance at that very spot about an hour later. Meanwhile, the eleventeenth tram stops, and I see a most enchantingly beautiful woman preparing to get off: “She’s a hottie!” thought I. Naturally, it was my own enchantress. She relayed her hunt for Jack and opined that it was time to seek some water in order to cool off. Guess what lies nearby? Pelican Plunge. We walked over, stowed our gear on a beach chair, and eased ourselves into the water. At this point, a rather sheepish LOMF looked over at me.
“Umm, I’ve never been on a water slide without a raft before. I might be a little nervous.” I couldn’t decide if her trepidation was a result of the actual fear of going over the side of the slide or whether her top might come off. Hmmm, the latter put me into a mild trance, a pleasant one at that , but I snapped to and assuaged her concerns.
“You will not go over the top, promise. And I’ll even hold onto your DGs so you won’t lose them.” She was first to get in her chute and seconds later, she was off.
“Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. . .!!” Methinks she was having fun. At the bottom of a rather exhilarating ride, she was waiting for me.
“Ah don’ thingk ah’m supposed to get wadda up my nohse, am I?” I could only laugh. Another water slide virgin bites the dust.

After grabbing a couple of towels at the Cabanas check-in with which to dry off, we waited for our ride back to Scuttle Cove, and though Cap’n Jack was going to be there very soon, if we didn’t take the tram right then, we might be late for our parasailing excursion that was to leave at 11. That was a superb decision as it turns out. When we checked in at the desk, the CM tells us that one boat had mechanical difficulties, so they were down to a single boat and that the 11 a.m. sailing was full. There were several others checking in at the same time, so we hurriedly scribbled our signatures on the “ifyoudieorareinjuredwhileparasailingitain’tourfau lt” form, and scurried down the dock. We were the last two to make the sailing! Woo-hoo!! As we were last on, that made us first up, no time to reconsider for luvvwl. We strapped into these lovely diaper-like devices, she in front, and moments later we were floating. . .getting higher. . .and higher. . .and higher. It’s amazingly quiet sailing like that, just the slight drone of the boat engine below. We embraced—well, I squeezed her with my legs—and remarked how fortunate we were to share such an experience, the entire cruise really. The water was incredibly blue or green depending on where you looked; the Dream appeared as though it were a model in a giant bathtub; and the beaches on CC seemed so far away. There is no hustle and bustle while parasailing. About that time, we noticed the boat towing us was growing larger meaning we were coming down. . .and down. . .and down. . . . . . . . . .and down? Oh, yeah, I’d almost forgotten—time to get dunked! Which we did, and all the while the crew was mugging, “Oh, no, what’s happened?” It is cool how they can slow down to the exact point where the wind still catches the sail but your butt is dragging in the big pond. Soon, we were back onboard the tow boat, unlatching, and watching the next couple go out. Too quickly our time was over. If you’ve never parasailed, you owe it to yourself to take the plunge (literally, too).

By now, it was close to noon, and we were hungry. Our options were the grill at the adult beach or head for sushi at Cabanas. Cabanas won easily. Off to the Dream we headed, where we freshened up just a bit, then headed up to eat. . .only there was NO sushi. Apparently, it’s an every-other-day deal. No biggie, we found plenty to eat, anyway (can you say “lots of shrimp?”). After eating in the only partially full Cabanas, we headed back to CC, tramming it to Pelican Point where we grabbed our rental snorkeling gear.
“What do I do with THIS?” asked she-with-the-arched-and-doubting eyebrows. She was holding up the float vest.
“Umm, you wear it?” I chuckled in response. “You have to blow it up first.”
“I’m supposed to put my mouth on that tube?!” Neither she nor I are particularly germophobic, but she did have a point of sorts, so I did it for her.
“I don’t know that I need this vest to keep me afloat, babe,” she chimed with a certain levity in her voice and twinkle in her eye. Let’s just say the vest rode much, umm, higher on her chest than on mine, just sayin’. Next came the flippers.
“How do I put these on?” It’s a safe assumption to say she had never been snorkeling before.
“Walk out into the water, turn around, slip them on, then walk backwards,” I replied. “Easy peasy.”
“Oh, really?” I’m not sure she believed me, but soon enough she had them on and we were floating toward points unknown.

We swam a lo-o-o-n-g time before making it to the first buoy. Though I had been here years before, I couldn’t remember exactly where any of the underwater sights were located, so we started swimming buoy to buoy. All of sudden, there was Mickey! Then we found the sunken boat! We took some pics with a waterproof camera, and if any of them turn out halfway decent, then we’ll post them once they’re developed. We spent a good hour and a half snorkeling, maybe a bit longer, and by the time we made it back to shore, we were more than ready for a beach lounger, sun, and drinks. And that’s exactly where we headed—to Serenity Bay!

By the time we arrived at the adults-only beach, it was pushing 2:45, and there were plenty of open beach chairs w/umbrellas. We settled in, noticed the gorgeous vistas there on the beach (nature and human alike ), and within a few minutes, I offered to go get drinks.


‘Twas just moments after swimming while sunning in chairs,
We had parched throats (and I thinning hair).
A drink we did need and sooner rather than later
When magically appearing was a smiling drink waiter.

“Two for one drinks while they last!” he did say,
“They’re Bahama Mamas, and the drink of the day!”
We cried out in joy, though no jumping did we employ,
But, man those heavenly drinks did we thoroughly enjoy!

We sunned and lazed awhile, but by the location of the sun, we knew our day on the beach was ending. It was time to head back and get ready for dinner, and not just any dinner—it was Palo night. We bid adieu to our wonderful spot on the beach, hiked to the tram, and dragged ourselves on board the Dream. We’d spent several hours in the sun and the water, and we were tired, but it was with that feeling of having spent a glorious day doing things we’d not done together before. It had been near perfect and now a most amazing meal awaited. The evening was going to be even better. . .

Next up: Palo and “Believe”—Guess Which We Liked Better?
__________________
Patrick "aka" Sleepydog, Sleepy, or Slydog
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery



sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #89
luvvwl
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
Castaway Cay Comes a’ Callin’, Episode 2

Okay, time for a quick recap. . .
a) Day ½ - Drove 7 hrs. Slept. No Tropical Storm Maria—yay!
b) Day 1 - Starbucks. . .mmmmm. . .hello, WDW! MK isn’t crowded? AP is back! DHS thrills. More sleep.
c) Day 2 – “You have to beat that DCL bus!!” Bruising on my arm ensues. “OMG! OMG!! OMG!!!!! It’s the Dream!” More bruising on my arm. Boarding pass 3! “Introducing the sleepydog and luvvwl family!” Cabanas. Stateroom goodies. DVC meet where I’m labeled Dopey—typecasting if I’ve ever seen it. Lifeboat drill. “When you wish upon a star. . .toooooot!” Dinner at RP, the Lost Table Chronicles. No foil Golden Mickeys for us. . .yet. . . moonlit verandah then sleep.
d) Day 3 – No Nassau for us. Cove Café. Working out. Ridonkulous rainforest showers. Cabanas sushi! Champagne in Pink. Sunbathing. Aquaducking. Mixology-ing. Dinner at AP, No Crush on Crush. Villains!! Sleep.
e) Day 4 – Castaway Cay 5K and Captain Jack “marathon”

I think that about covers it so far. . .
I may have an itty, bitty habit of hitting the arm of the person nearest to me when I'm excited. I can't help myself. He really doesn't mind. It's ENDEARING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
So, I’m waiting at the Pelican Point tram for my lovely to arrive, sweating up a storm having just finished the 5K (and unknown to me, she the marathon). I realize that good ol’ Cap’n Jack will be making his second appearance at that very spot about an hour later. Meanwhile, the eleventeenth tram stops, and I see a most enchantingly beautiful woman preparing to get off: “She’s a hottie!” thought I. Naturally, it was my own enchantress. She relayed her hunt for Jack and opined that it was time to seek some water in order to cool off. Guess what lies nearby? Pelican Plunge. We walked over, stowed our gear on a beach chair, and eased ourselves into the water. At this point, a rather sheepish LOMF looked over at me.
“Umm, I’ve never been on a water slide without a raft before. I might be a little nervous.” I couldn’t decide if her trepidation was a result of the actual fear of going over the side of the slide or whether her top might come off. Hmmm, the latter put me into a mild trance, a pleasant one at that , but I snapped to and assuaged her concerns.
“You will not go over the top, promise. And I’ll even hold onto your DGs so you won’t lose them.” She was first to get in her chute and seconds later, she was off.
“Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. . .!!” Methinks she was having fun. At the bottom of a rather exhilarating ride, she was waiting for me.
“Ah don’ thingk ah’m supposed to get wadda up my nohse, am I?” I could only laugh. Another water slide virgin bites the dust.
It’s hard to believe, I know, but I really never have done a water slide without a tube. I’m a little fearful of the body slides – I expect to go right over the edge. Plus. I’m teeny, tiny bit endowed up top so I expect to go right over the edge in more ways than one! And. NO ONE told me to plug my nose at T Minus 2 seconds!!!! 100 Million Gallons of Castaway Key shot right up my nose.

PS~ It DOES NOT TASTE OR FEEL GOOD!!!!!

Oh, and here’s the cutest thing! I took the tram to Pelican Point to meet SD. NO WAY was I walking; after all, I had just finished The Marathon. I caught these guys trying to outrace us!



Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
After grabbing a couple of towels at the Cabanas check-in with which to dry off, we waited for our ride back to Scuttle Cove, and though Cap’n Jack was going to be there very soon, if we didn’t take the tram right then, we might be late for our parasailing excursion that was to leave at 11. That was a superb decision as it turns out. When we checked in at the desk, the CM tells us that one boat had mechanical difficulties, so they were down to a single boat and that the 11 a.m. sailing was full. There were several others checking in at the same time, so we hurriedly scribbled our signatures on the “ifyoudieorareinjuredwhileparasailingitain’tourfau lt” form, and scurried down the dock. We were the last two to make the sailing! Woo-hoo!! As we were last on, that made us first up, no time to reconsider for luvvwl. We strapped into these lovely diaper-like devices, she in front, and moments later we were floating. . .getting higher. . .and higher. . .and higher. It’s amazingly quiet sailing like that, just the slight drone of the boat engine below. We embraced—well, I squeezed her with my legs—and remarked how fortunate we were to share such an experience, the entire cruise really. The water was incredibly blue or green depending on where you looked; the Dream appeared as though it were a model in a giant bathtub; and the beaches on CC seemed so far away. There is no hustle and bustle while parasailing. About that time, we noticed the boat towing us was growing larger meaning we were coming down. . .and down. . .and down. . . . . . . . . .and down? Oh, yeah, I’d almost forgotten—time to get dunked! Which we did, and all the while the crew was mugging, “Oh, no, what’s happened?” It is cool how they can slow down to the exact point where the wind still catches the sail but your butt is dragging in the big pond. Soon, we were back onboard the tow boat, unlatching, and watching the next couple go out. Too quickly our time was over. If you’ve never parasailed, you owe it to yourself to take the plunge (literally, too).
I LOVED it!!!! This was another first for me, and the first few seconds while you’re waiting for them to release the rope are a little butterfly-inducing and then, WHOOSH!! You’re up, up and away!







Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
By now, it was close to noon, and we were hungry. Our options were the grill at the adult beach or head for sushi at Cabanas. Cabanas won easily. Off to the Dream we headed, where we freshened up just a bit, then headed up to eat. . .only there was NO sushi. Apparently, it’s an every-other-day deal. No biggie, we found plenty to eat, anyway (can you say “lots of shrimp?”).


NO SUSHI???? Are you freakin' kidding me?? I walked ALL the way back here JUST FOR SUSHI!!!! Geez!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
After eating in the only partially full Cabanas, we headed back to CC, tramming it to Pelican Point where we grabbed our rental snorkeling gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
“What do I do with THIS?” asked she-with-the-arched-and-doubting eyebrows. She was holding up the float vest.
“Umm, you wear it?” I chuckled in response. “You have to blow it up first.”
“I’m supposed to put my mouth on that tube?!” Neither she nor I are particularly germophobic, but she did have a point of sorts, so I did it for her.
“I don’t know that I need this vest to keep me afloat, babe,” she chimed with a certain levity in her voice and twinkle in her eye. Let’s just say the vest rode much, umm, higher on her chest than on mine, just sayin’. Next came the flippers.
“How do I put these on?” It’s a safe assumption to say she had never been snorkeling before.
“Walk out into the water, turn around, slip them on, then walk backwards,” I replied. “Easy peasy.”
“Oh, really?” I’m not sure she believed me, but soon enough she had them on and we were floating toward points unknown.
In my defense, I had NEVER snorkeled before. WhichSomeoneWhoShallRemainNameless KNOWS. And. Secondly, I think by then we had firmly established that the water tastes ICK-EEEE!!!! Your snorkel tube thingie keeps getting that icky water in it which you have to keep spitting out, your goggle thingies keep getting foggy so you have to keep putting that icky water in them to get the fog out. Which, said water settles in the nose part and thus BACK INTO YOUR MOUTH AGAIN. And another thing!!!! My floatie thing kept deflating!!!!! I literally had to stop every five minutes to blow it up again.

PS~ make sure you push down on the nozzle PRIOR to putting it in your mouth. That’s right, if you don’t, you guessed it, ANOTHER BIG, FAT MOUTHFUL of that icky water!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
We swam a lo-o-o-n-g time before making it to the first buoy. Though I had been here years before, I couldn’t remember exactly where any of the underwater sights were located, so we started swimming buoy to buoy. All of sudden, there was Mickey! Then we found the sunken boat! We took some pics with a waterproof camera, and if any of them turn out halfway decent, then we’ll post them once they’re developed. We spent a good hour and a half snorkeling, maybe a bit longer, and by the time we made it back to shore, we were more than ready for a beach lounger, sun, and drinks. And that’s exactly where we headed—to Serenity Bay!
Unfortunately, we don’t yet have any of these pics. The reason why goes something like this:

LUVVWL: “I think we should get one of those inexpensive underwater digital cameras for our CC day.”
SD: “Oh, no, babe. We don’t need one. We’ll pick up one of those disposable cameras. They take decent pictures and it will cost way less. More $$ for drinks!!!”
LUVVWL: “Weellllll, if you really think so…”
SD: “I do. Trust me.”

I will also point out here, that if we HAD that camera I wanted, then SOMEONE wouldn’t have kept saying THE ENTIRE TIME we were snorkeling, “I’m not really sure this will come out. I can’t tell. Maybe I should take another one to be sure.”

See babe, with an underwater DIGITAL camera, you have the ability to REVIEW your pics.

Just sayin’…

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
By the time we arrived at the adults-only beach, it was pushing 2:45, and there were plenty of open beach chairs w/umbrellas. We settled in, noticed the gorgeous vistas there on the beach (nature and human alike ), and within a few minutes, I offered to go get drinks.
I think someone might have been more interested in the gorgeous human vistas, FYI, and I’ll give you one hint: It was NOT me!!





Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
‘Twas just moments after swimming while sunning in chairs,
We had parched throats (and I thinning hair).
A drink we did need and sooner rather than later
When magically appearing was a smiling drink waiter.

“Two for one drinks while they last!” he did say,
“They’re Bahama Mamas, and the drink of the day!”
We cried out in joy, though no jumping did we employ,
But, man those heavenly drinks did we thoroughly enjoy!
They were YUMMY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
We sunned and lazed awhile, but by the location of the sun, we knew our day on the beach was ending. It was time to head back and get ready for dinner, and not just any dinner—it was Palo night. We bid adieu to our wonderful spot on the beach, hiked to the tram, and dragged ourselves on board the Dream. We’d spent several hours in the sun and the water, and we were tired, but it was with that feeling of having spent a glorious day doing things we’d not done together before. It had been near perfect and now a most amazing meal awaited. The evening was going to be even better. . .
Next up: Palo and “Believe”—Guess Which We Liked Better?
It was just a perfect day. With the perfect partner.
luvvwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #90
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to
 
sleepydog25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Twixt here and there
Posts: 3,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvvwl View Post
I may have an itty, bitty habit of hitting the arm of the person nearest to me when I'm excited. I can't help myself. He really doesn't mind. It's ENDEARING. Yeah, that's the word I was searching for. . .



It’s hard to believe, I know, but I really never have done a water slide without a tube. I’m a little fearful of the body slides – I expect to go right over the edge. Plus. I’m teeny, tiny bit endowed up top so I expect to go right over the edge in more ways than one! And. NO ONE told me to plug my nose at T Minus 2 seconds!!!! Law of Physics # 969: "If you fail to hold your nose or blow out air when you land in water, said water will go up said nose."


NO SUSHI???? Are you freakin' kidding me?? I walked ALL the way back here JUST FOR SUSHI!!!! Geez!! So, did you miss not having sushi?


Unfortunately, we don’t yet have any of these pics. The reason why goes something like this:

LUVVWL: “I think we should get one of those inexpensive underwater digital cameras(an oxymoron if ever there was one) for our CC day.”
SD: “Oh, no, babe. We don’t need one. We’ll pick up one of those disposable cameras. They take decent pictures and it will cost way less. More $$ for drinks!!!” I stand by that statement, shewhonowownsatablet. . .
LUVVWL: “Weellllll, if you really think so…”
SD: “I do. Trust me.”

I will also point out here, that if we HAD that camera I wanted, then SOMEONE wouldn’t have kept saying THE ENTIRE TIME we were snorkeling, “I’m not really sure this will come out. I can’t tell. Maybe I should take another one to be sure.” I would alternately point out that had you listened to my advice and taken the camera to CVS when first suggested rather than research a bajillion online photo developing sites, we'd also have those shots attached to this report.

I think someone might have been more interested in the gorgeous human vistas, FYI, and I’ll give you one hint: It was NOT me!! Four words: Captain Jack and Tarzan.

It was just a perfect day. With the perfect partner.
That would be moi. . .
__________________
Patrick "aka" Sleepydog, Sleepy, or Slydog
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery



sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: