Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #46
kim3339
DIS Veteran

~Saturday, 5k and a little DL~So Saturday wasnít a great day. I woke up around 5, and just did not feel well. If it was any other 5K, I probably would have skipped it, but being DL, I wasnít going to miss it.

I headed out to the start line around 5:45. The race started at 6:45 at the tram loading area at the Mickey and Friends Parking Lot. They had a DJ for the pre-race and it was in full swing by the time I got there. The theme was Star Tours. Now I love the Star Wars movies, and I get that Star Tours just opened recently, but I wasnít really over the top about the theme. But thatís okay, you canít like every theme. The new thing they did at the 5K this year was a small wave start based on how fast you think youíll run. I liked that, it wasnít as crowded in tight areas like it has been in the past.
Right before the race started, there was a staged act w/ and Storm Troopers and then the race started!

Knowing that I wasnít feeling well, and taking it easy, I took my time and a lot of pictures, but in the end, even though I wasnít feeling well, I really liked taking my time and enjoyed everything a lot more than I have in the past. Iíve done MMs before, but being in the parks this early and in the back of the park, it really is pretty. The sun hits HM and Matterhorn at an angle thatísí just different then being there during the day. And even with 4,500 runners, the parks were just seemed so peaceful.

This year, we entered backstage right off the bat.
Off to the right, the was a refurbish building for ride cars like the Caterpillar from Alice, a few POC boats and even some Doom Buggies. I was about to take a picture, but then a Security Guard yelled at me, so sadly no pics. It was really cool too, b/c the Caterpillars were sanded down and everything! We were backstage a little longer and then it was into the parks. We entered over by Splash, the door CMs and characters come in and out that you see as you exit the ride.
Past
and
, by
and back to backstage again! We came out in the park in time to run by IASW and through Toon Town, but then backstage again down to the Monorail/Train area and back out on the other side of IASW. Soon we were running through Tomorrowland and by
, then it was around the hub and down Main Street. After exiting the park, we made a sharp left and we were on the outside of the park but still backstage. It was on the outside of the Train/Dinosaur area. We passed the entrance area for CMs and then under the street!!!
Thereís an underpass by the crosswalk on Harbor and the hotel shuttles drop you off. Youíd never know it existed. As we came up, we were on the outside of DCA. Running by TOT, to our right was Cars Land. Iíve seen pics online, and knew how big the old parking lot used to be, but wow!!!! It is absolutely ginormous. I was blown away by how big it really is, especially when you are street level going right by it. After we ran around Cars Land and the back of Screamin, it was into DCA and the finish line!! I picked up my medal and then back to the trams and the hotel.

Still wasnít felling 100%, so my dad went on to the parks w/o me and I stayed at the hotel a little bit longer. Finally made it over to the parks around 11 and just played it pretty low key. No fun rides, like Space or BTMRR. We had a small wait for POC again; the Jungle Cruise was a little bit longer, but nothing crazy. For lunch, we went to Zocaloís, I love that place. I had their Tortilla Soup and my dad had the Tostada Salad. Their chicken tacos are my favorite, but not this time.

After lunch, we went over to Fantasyland for a few rides. Longer waits than POC and Jungle, but you figure that going in so it wasnít that bad. By then, it was about 3:15 and I wanted to see the Soundsational Parade, so we split up and I headed to Main Street. I really liked all the floats, especially the Mary Poppins one. I canít remember the last one I saw there. I know I saw the Lion King Parade way back when and the Christmas one years ago, but there has to be one that Iíve seen since. Once the parade was over, we headed to the Monorail and DTD.

We got to the ESPN Zone, right before 5, and inside was crazy. I know it was the start of College Football, but I havenít seen the inside so packed w/ people like that in forever. It didnít really make a big difference to me, b/c I was getting take out to take back to the hotel after a quarter or 2. We walked into the bar area and looked for a place to sit. Now the timing was awesome, b/c Iím a huge LSU Football fan. The game was about to start, we were looking for a table, there were none, but this really nice guy, also a LSU fan, told us we could sit with him. It was just the luck of the weekend! Living in NorCal, itís all about Stanford and Cal, and USC thrown in when weíre down in the parks. So it was nice to be able to have a conversation w/ and watch the game w/ someone who is a LSU fan. About Ĺ way through the 2nd quarter, I ordered some dinner and back to the hotel to rest up and get ready for Sunday.

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #47
kim3339
DIS Veteran

~Sunday, Race Day!!!~I didnít really sleep the night before. I have no problem falling asleep; itís the staying asleep thatís the problem. Iíll usually wake up around 12 or 1, and then, I can never fall back asleep. I donít know why either, Iíve run so many races. And I donít really get nervous anymore until the start line, but for some reason, I can never sleep the whole night through.

I had 2 alarms and a wake-up call set for 4:15, race OCD!! Got dressed, grabbed my stuff and was on my way over the ramp 1 last time. By the time I got to the staging area, it was already crowded, but found my usual space in the back to stretch out and get ready away from the crowds. Got over to my corral early and then it was a waiting game for the start of the race. Weather was good. Not hot, but no marine layer, which would have been nice. Although, for the 1st part of the race there were scattered clouds and they helped out especially when I was running into the sun.

Hereís pics of the start & finish from DTD.

I was finally to the start line around 6:15-6:20 and ready to get going! We ran around the outside of the parks and entered DCA through the backstage area near TOT. We ran through Hollywood Back Lot and around over towards the Grizzly Run. When we were running through the Back Lot, it was almost like a microclimate b/c of the walls and heat from the runners. After that, it was through the exit by Soarin and across the Promenade into DL!! We went down Main Street, through Tomorrowland, through Fantasyland and the Castle. After that, it was through Frontierland off to the left around the Rivers into Critter Country. We entered the backstage area by Splash and ran around the backstage area, into Toon Town pass IASW and back into the backstage area again. We exited the park coming out on the downhill part of the overpass and into and around Anaheim. Finally around Mile 12 we were back at DL, but over behind CarsLand. Then we turned onto the Service Road and we could see the finish line!!! Got my medal and bag, and then back over the ramp to the hotel. It was a slow walk back, and I swear the ramp doubled in size after the race. This year, the timing chips were on the back of the bibs, but when my dad put everything in the locker on Friday, my bib got all bent up, so no official time, but I think it was somewhere b/w 2:45 and 2:50. Was hoping for a little bit faster, but Iím happy w/ it.

Got back to the hotel, relaxed and showered and we were on our way. We left about 10:45 or so and after a gas stop were the road. Probably the only thing that I like about leaving DL is that we stop at Pioneer Chicken on the way home. I havenít been a big fast food person in a long time, but this is a must stop whenever we leave DL. There are only a couple left, all in the LA area, and 1 of them is in Boyle Heights right off the 5, so you can pop off the freeway and back on again w/o wasting any time. They are sooooo much better than KFC or Popeyeís, I think itís the batter. After that, on the way home. Once again, traffic was light. I think it was b/c it was Sunday instead of Monday. There were cars on the road, but it wasnít bad. Even the construction wasnít a problem. I was home about 4:15 or so, we made really good time.

And sadly, that was the end of a short trip to DL. Now I have to wait until January. Iíve started to think out the whole set up for next year and tickets, and what to do. I have to wait until the Jan. calendar comes out, but Iím playing around w/ the whole annual pass thing. If a lot of rides arenít down in Jan., Iíll be in the park for 3, and 3 Labor Day, and I was thinking about a small Halloween trip. Then I realized that the pass wonít expire until the end of the following January for Tink again, and in 2013, Iím going to WDW for the Marathon and then Premier Passport popped in my head. Iíll know for sure at the end of the year, but if itís cost effective, especially with the discounts, Iím definitely contemplating it.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #48
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
How far back from the start were you for the 5K?

wish journalmy new blog
live well - laugh often - run disney
Belle Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #49
kim3339
DIS Veteran

I was in the section of 10min runners & walkers, but when we moved up wave-wise, I ended up right at the rope so that was neat. I kinda felt like a superfast runner!!

Where were you lined up?

Old 09-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #50
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

I was quite literally right on the starting line Did you see the two woman dressed as Jedi knights?

wish journalmy new blog
Old 09-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #51
kim3339
DIS Veteran

No, I missed them. Were you in the same wave set? I was standing pretty much all the way on the right next to the hedges. I was next to this lady was in a full length Snow White costume.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #52
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

Gooootcha. I misread that the first time. I was in the first wave. I totally didn't even realize they did that.

wish journalmy new blog

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: