Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #136
wasabi girl
Mouseketeer
I can't get in the shower if the shower curtain is already wet

Hmmm...will Avatar still be a viable franchise in 2 or 3 decades? I don't think so, that is why my response is, Really Disney? This? Of all things you could've gone with. From epic literature to mythology to nearly anything else, and you're giving us Avatar? What? I'm still scratching my head on this one....I hope it isn't as poorly conceived as other ideas they've had recently. Me? I'm still miffed that the Adventurers club is gone to make way for more shopping...wow, 'cause I can't shop at home? I still miss 20,000 Leagues, had to go all the way to DL to ride the Nemo subs...Disney has made some stinker decisions, I hope this isn't another.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #137
kaligal
DIS Veteran

I don't mind so much that they're using something that isn't theirs. Just don't like Avatar. At all.

But they're doing it and that's that. I'm sure it will be pretty enough and God knows the AK needs another restaurant.

In the meantime, I'd like the Jungle Book show, please.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #138
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4food View Post
Disney already had Pocahontas.

Now they have Pocahontas in Space.

Perfect fit. All about the synergy now.

If Universal had made this announcement:

a) I'd have said, meh, that's nice, but makes sense for them

b) everyone here would be complaining that Disney let US "steal" Avatar from them and posting "how cool would a Disney Avatar ride be? But the cheapskates at Disney didn't want to pony up the money to get it."

Darned if you do. Darned if you don't.
Pocahontas in Space? Really? Not a selling point IMHO.

I can absolutely 100% guarantee I would not have said or thought any of point "B" ... "A" yes, that is exactly what I would have thought.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #139
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan09 View Post
Someone said this on another thread-but why not go for LOTR? Lots of fanciful creatures there and an opportunity to create a truly unique land. Best of all it has a fan base that was rabid BEFORE the movies came out and there is still another one coming.
Because JRR Tolkien's estate would never in a million years approve such a deal. It was hard enough to get the movies done (and that only happened because Tolkien himself sold the movie rights to United Artists before he died. That movie never happened, and the rights bounced around from studio to studio until Miramax started the Peter Jackson films, and then sold the rights to New Line Cinema). Tolkien's son Christopher keeps a tight reign on what can & can't be done with LOTR (and it isn't much). A theme park would NEVER be OK'd as long as Christopher is head of the estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromscratchmom View Post
hahahaha. That's exactly how I felt about Titanic... and Dirty Dancing when I was younger. After the hype the movies were just nothing. Hype can be such a movie killer. My favorite way to see a movie is with no fore-knowledge and no expectations whatsoever. That's how I saw La Bamba and I just loved it.
Yes, and nobody watches Dirty Dancing fanatically any more? Dirty Dancing is very much still around and a cultural icon. I don't think you can say that either Dirty Dancing or Titanic faded away after they opened because they were over-hyped.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #140
fromscratchmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
Pocahontas in Space? Really? Not a selling point IMHO.
I have to agree with this. I think this can be super successful, all depending on the work of the imagineers which will most likely be astounding. But I think a key element will be to downplay the dogmatic message behind the movie in favor of the elements that actually grabbed peoples attention and wow'd them.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #141
SoScary'09
Has Friends on the Other Side

While Avatar did impress me visually, I didn't care for the core of its content at all. I'm kind of a sci-fi geek, so while the world itself was vivid and pretty, the heart of the characters and the premise for the 'war' were really weak imo. Cowboys and indians anyone?

So this isn't great news to me, but what can you do really? Maybe it'll be totally immersive, or Disney will be using newer and more innovative ways to 'kick things up a notch'. Plonking down another big tree and some whirly lizards and calling the place Avatar Land isn't going to cut it anymore. That said, I'm curious as to how they will undertake the challenge of wowing us.

Honestly though, while Avatar was a really big deal when it came out, who knows how successful the sequels will be if they start to suck? Once numbed to this world and the cutting edge graphics, what's going to be left to impress people? Not to compare apples to oranges, but I can see Harry Potter faring the test of time far better than the demand for Naavi merchandise.

Halloween '09:-CR Halloween '11:-Poly Halloween '13-BC March '14: First DL Trip
SoScary'09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #142
speedo
Mouseketeer

I'd rather they chose a different theme for the new land in Animal Kingdom. I really like animal kingdom but don't have any interest in an Avatar themed land.
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #143
book_junkie
DIS Veteran

Reserving Judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyHellstrom View Post
Not a fan. I do not like extra-terrestrials, and I really do not like movies that try to make the Xenos out as the heroes and Humans as villains. Bad movie Cameron (stick with the Aliens format).

This could be the first Disney themed area I truly despise.

-Hellstrom
He did do the Aliens...
there was the ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter in Tomorrowland and people complained it was too scary for MK, so they closed it, and you got Stitch (and there are still complaints because IMO, people can't read a guidebook and figure out that it's going to be a little scary because this is not the tamed Stitch it's Experiment 626 before Lilo-duh)... And people complain about the Alien in the Great Movie Ride (wah! my kid was scared about the Alien coming out of the ceiling) so they toned that sucker down as well... Wouldn't be surprised if it disappears as well in the next rehab.

I do wish they'd do the Beastly Kingdom instead of Avatar just because I personally would like the Beastly Kingdom better, but I can see where it can be called an intrusion of WWOHP- all the creatures in Harry Potter would have been features in the Beastly Kingdom. Avatar doesn't do it for me but neither really did the early releases of the Fantasyland expansion...

I'll reserve judgement until they're done.

BTW, pretty much all of the Disney properties are borrowed from other storytelling- Grimm Brothers covers all the popular princesses, Mulan and the one from Atlantis come from other storylines, and Mary Poppins was also from books as well as Winnie the Pooh. Even Pirates of the Caribbean were based on pirates legends and myths...

Exceptions that I can think of right now would be Dumbo, Bambi, & Lady and the Tramp...

Past Trips: Nov-Dec 20130; May 2013 WDW; Oct-Nov 2012 WDW; Oct 2011 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct/Nov 2010 WDW; Oct 2010 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct 2009 WDW; June 2008 DL ; Nov 2007 WDW Clan Reunion; Nov 2004 WDW; June 1994 WDW Family Trip; March 1986 WDW Family Trip
book_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #144
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

I'm not a fan of Avatar. Disappointed in the news.
jegsnakkernorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #145
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Because JRR Tolkien's estate would never in a million years approve such a deal. It was hard enough to get the movies done (and that only happened because Tolkien himself sold the movie rights to United Artists before he died. That movie never happened, and the rights bounced around from studio to studio until Miramax started the Peter Jackson films, and then sold the rights to New Line Cinema). Tolkien's son Christopher keeps a tight reign on what can & can't be done with LOTR (and it isn't much). A theme park would NEVER be OK'd as long as Christopher is head of the estate.

Yes, and nobody watches Dirty Dancing fanatically any more? Dirty Dancing is very much still around and a cultural icon. I don't think you can say that either Dirty Dancing or Titanic faded away after they opened because they were over-hyped.

Sayhello
many rumours place LOTR @ U I'm sure you're familiar with the email survey of last year pertaining to LOTR. Hard to imagine them being able to test the waters with questionaire specific as to whether fans would enjoy visiting Middle Earth, Hobbits, etc (including usage ofTolkein's name) if they weren't granted permission

U was able to appease ms rowlings with a 'land' vs an 'attraction' and gave her of control of final product, it might just be the carrot needed for LOTR. I'd certainly enjoy it @ disney too, just think it'd be a better fit @ U.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #146
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWacky View Post
My kids were thrilled when I told them at dinner! They're 9, 6 and 6. My husband who wouldn't care if WDW burned down tomorrow was excited. He even asked when it would be finished so we could go see it! I think this may have wider appeal than some people think.

I for one am very excited. At first I thought, "Avatar at AK not DHS?", but then I thought about the message of the movie and if anyone can do this the right way, it's Disney! For those who keep mentioning Beastly Kingdom... isn't this a movie about mythical creatures in a mythical land ... just sayin'.
Same here! I emailed the story to my dad (who saw Avatar in the theater 4 times), and he was thrilled!

And people loved Avatar. It opened in December 2009, but I saw it for the second time 3 months later - we still had to line up outside the IMAX over an hour before it started because those shows were still selling out.

When it ended, I heard an older couple behind me say "that was wonderful!" and a few kids in front of us asked to see it again as soon as it ended.

No, it's not the most original story in the world...but it was a good movie and it was very popular. If the sequels are anything close to the artistry of the first film, I think there's a lot of potential for an awesome new land at the parks.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #147
fromscratchmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post

Sayhello
Too true. Obviously the trick for me is to go opening night before I hear too much about a film. lol. Some films that have widespread appeal might still not work for me, dork that I am, but the great ones would be that much better.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #148
jimpossible87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby1disney View Post
OK. I've read a lot of these comments..well the first three pages...and I really can't believe some of the comments and criticism that had came about. I mean if you have watched the movie and really paid attention to it, you would see that it does fit with AK.

I've always believed this saying:"People don't like change. Not because they don't want it..maybe some don't..but because they don't understand it. This is where ignorance and stupidity come to play."

I totally agree with this!! There are things I don't like..but I'll never dismiss it. Maybe one day I'll be able to understand it, maybe even like it!! The theme of humans and nature being one has been around for a very long time..just maybe hasn't been portrayed like it has in AVATAR. People need to stop being so negative about this and give it a chance. The announcement just came out today and all it basically said was that it was still in tue designing stages. They could move it to a different park or keep it where it's at!!

Personally...I LOOVE this movie and can't wait for this to come about!!! I've alwaysed loved James Cameron and usually whatever project/movie he does...it becomes gold and a huge hit!!! And people have to really stop and think if Disney would really plan something this huge just to have it flop, as far as a themed land/attraction goes. There's soo much to this story and more will be exposed as it develops. So..until I see a model or some pictures of this..I'll wait to pass judgment on something that I don't have a clue about...
Why do some people on this board think that the peple that dont like Avatar dont like change and dont support Disney and new attractions? I dont get these comments. I LOVE new stuff, thats why I follow these boards so I can read about new things. I just hated that movie. Why do people have to like it? People who dont like something you like are ignorant and stupid?
jimpossible87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #149
fromscratchmom
DIS Veteran

With all the questioning about whether it would be a better fit for DHS... I can see that it could fit there, but I think Disney can do a good job of working in at AK as well. I suppose that part of this is just the fact that I have a very optimistic outlook on what I think they can do, but still...

supposing they do move it to DHS, considering how many have mentioned AK needing some love I'd hope they find some fresh new inspiration to fire up the imagineers to do something just as big at AK at the same time. In fact, frankly, I'm surprised that they haven't yet with all the love the beastly kingdom idea got, the possibilities of buying into an animalia thing or a dinotopia thing. OK I get why dinotopia was a no go when they had their own competing disney dino thing they felt they had to go with, but still I believe the inspiration is out there somewhere and they will find it. What are the ideas y'all have for this? (I mean partially fleshed out ideas about what new things should be added to AK)

And question number 2: What do y'all think about them making new attractions that don't have to cost millions and use the simpler magic of some of the best older rides? While the cutting-edge-tech angle on a new avatar project excites me and probably will excite many others, I really think they could also have some great "new" projects that simply combine older technologies in new ways and with fresh new themes.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #150
jimpossible87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromscratchmom View Post
With all the questioning about whether it would be a better fit for DHS... I can see that it could fit there, but I think Disney can do a good job of working in at AK as well. I suppose that part of this is just the fact that I have a very optimistic outlook on what I think they can do, but still...

supposing they do move it to DHS, considering how many have mentioned AK needing some love I'd hope they find some fresh new inspiration to fire up the imagineers to do something just as big at AK at the same time. In fact, frankly, I'm surprised that they haven't yet with all the love the beastly kingdom idea got, the possibilities of buying into an animalia thing or a dinotopia thing. OK I get why dinotopia was a no go when they had their own competing disney dino thing they felt they had to go with, but still I believe the inspiration is out there somewhere and they will find it. What are the ideas y'all have for this? (I mean partially fleshed out ideas about what new things should be added to AK)

And question number 2: What do y'all think about them making new attractions that don't have to cost millions and use the simpler magic of some of the best older rides? While the cutting-edge-tech angle on a new avatar project excites me and probably will excite many others, I really think they could also have some great "new" projects that simply combine older technologies in new ways and with fresh new themes.
Even tho Im not an Avatar fan in any way I definitely see how they can make it fit in AK . they definitely share the same ideals. No argument from me on that. it makes sense for what they want to do. do I think its a good idea? no not really. Do I like Avatar...nope. but thats just an opinion of a movie not of Disney or whatever it decides to build.

You know what I think? They will make Journey to the center of the earth from Tokyo disney and theme it with Avatar...just something that was crossing my mind. Wasnt JTTCOTE a possibility already to come to AK?

I do think its crazy that they already have rights to Lucasfilm stuff and theres not a whole star wars land somewhere or either one of Disneys indianna jones rides.(which both would fit into AK IMO)
jimpossible87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: