Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #91
KittyHellstrom
huglife

Not a fan. I do not like extra-terrestrials, and I really do not like movies that try to make the Xenos out as the heroes and Humans as villains. Bad movie Cameron (stick with the Aliens format).

This could be the first Disney themed area I truly despise.

-Hellstrom
Trip 3: Animal Kingdom Lodge 10/31 - 11/7 2011
KittyHellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #92
wasabi girl
Mouseketeer
I can't get in the shower if the shower curtain is already wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpossible87 View Post
I think the slapdash reaction to HP is called a fantasyland expansion---jk
I kid... I kid! curse my sarcasm Ill never make any friends!
I actually cant wait to go in the beasts castle (my fave Disney movie)
Maybe this is the slapdash reaction to HP-the extended edition....
Old 09-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #93
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)

This announcement really stunned me. Avatar??

I think it could be a VERY cool land, visually... and think of the nighttime opportunities (all kinds of glowing stuff, oooh), but still I can't wrap my head around this one yet.

I saw the movie in 3D and was entertained and enjoyed it, but don't particularly care about seeing it again... in fact it's been on HBO quite a bit and I haven't bothered to watch it. I know a sequel is in the works, but... hmmm.

I guess Avatar was just such a tiny blip on my cultural radar that to hear it will be immortalized in a Disney theme park is a shocker!

Last edited by sunshine girl; 09-23-2011 at 10:50 PM.
sunshine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #94
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyHellstrom View Post
Not a fan. I do not like extra-terrestrials, and I really do not like movies that try to make the Xenos out as the heroes and Humans as villains. Bad movie Cameron (stick with the Aliens format).

This could be the first Disney themed area I truly despise.

-Hellstrom
But.... but.....

The humans were the heroes! You had the Scientists band together with their pilot and organize a plot to fight back against the evil mercenaries!
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #95
alice99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofypop View Post
Because most would rather gripe about what Disney does rather than enjoy the parks. There are a lot of people that would love this idea. They may not be on these forums but there are far more than enough people that love Disney and Avatar to warrant this type of move. It just doesn't seem like it because 99% of forum posters are Disney purists and believe they have the ideas that will save Disney from going under. I've just come to expect it these days when Disney announces anything new they get torn to pieces by people that always know better about how to run the parks. This news broke just a short bit ago and already there are tons of comments about how horrible the idea is and how awful the idea is. But these same people wanted a mythical section to AK and Avatar fits. As well as it fits with the environmental theme of AK.
I concur.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
alice99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #96
3redhedgirls
Mouseketeer

Today must be April 1st, right? I have two words for the decision makers at Disney, "American Idol". Oh, listen....I hear Walt turning over.
88 Hilton DT
90 Yacht Club
95 Hyatt Cypress/CBR
98 Swan
97 Wilderness Lodge
00 Hilton DTD
04 Allstar Music
06 Port Orleans Riverside
08 POP Century
12 AllStar Music
3redhedgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #97
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3redhedgirls View Post
Today must be April 1st, right? I have two words for the decision makers at Disney, "American Idol". Oh, listen....I hear Walt turning over.

Uh oh! Did the freezer quit working again? Someone quick! Call the repairman! Walt is starting to thaw!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #98
NewEnglandCamper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodleygrrl View Post
I am just excited for anything NEW at WDW. I would love it if there were some new rides. There haven't been any in some time. I know about the Fantasy Land refurb, but this sounds a bit more adult.

Why all the haters?

Jennifer
I totally AGREE! When we were there last month... there was little changes but NOTHING major... smaller theme parks such as Hersheypark has updated just about every year with Boardwalk and Fahrenheit coaster with a much smaller budget... I was updates to WDW before I return again...

AVATAR sounds likes a GREAT addition to a boring Animal Kingdom!!!
Spring 2010 - Tent Camping at Fort Wilderness
Fall 2009 - My 40 Birthday Celebration back at POR
Spring 2009 - Planned "the Girls" Spring Break Trip - Pop Century
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2006 - Port Orleans Riverside

NewEnglandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #99
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandCamper View Post
I totally AGREE! When we were there last month... there was little changes but NOTHING major... smaller theme parks such as Hersheypark has updated just about every year with Boardwalk and Fahrenheit coaster with a much smaller budget... I was updates to WDW before I return again...

AVATAR sounds likes a GREAT addition to a boring Animal Kingdom!!!

To be fair....

The smaller regional parks also aren't open 365 days a year which makes constructing things much simplier to do in a short timeline. They also don't need to worry so much about themeing or having the attraction "fit.".

Just look at the number of times we've seen people complain over the past year just because of the great wall of Fantasyland and/or the scrims in place while they build the new attractions and/or refurb the outside of buildings. When you don't close for several months out of the year, your ability to build something new on a regular basis is curtailed.

People also hold both Disney and Universal in Orlando to a much higher standard. If they just put in a new off-the-shelf coaster every year people would quickly start to wonder why they should pay so much and travel so far for an experience they can get much cheaper closer to home.

I'd also imagine that Disney's labor costs are much higher than most regional parks due to their staffing needs exceeding the skill and availability of local high school students.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #100
dalt01
DIS Veteran

so............the movie won 3 oscars......cinematography....art direction.....visual affects.....it was the first real must see 3d movie. it was what i call an event movie. a stand alone not adapted from another medium with a built in fan base.....reference superhero movies from comics, James Bond novels etc...........also nobody chanting for the sequels.....i liked the movie for what it was but as i sat there i thought i was staring directly at James Cameron's ego..............but i am sure they vetted this and are convinced it will drive revenue. who knows?
Old 09-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #101
Cap.Steamboat Willie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
But.... but.....

The humans were the heroes! You had the Scientists band together with their pilot and organize a plot to fight back against the evil mercenaries!

Stop interrupting the backlash with logic. Let's hang Cameron. The movie was hardly seen by anyone and 3D is a fad that will not be around five years from now. I mean haven't we learned anything from Harry Potter. Popular blockbuster movies are not to be made into lands in amusement parks. It will never work.
Cap.Steamboat Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #102
jaci-h
If you feel psycho dad needs a frozen coke over his head to cool off... you're a desperado.

I guess I'm in the dis-minority and am excited!! I'm excited for a new land in AK. Can you imagine how amazing nighttime would be at AK with Pandora there? What if they did a show... kind of like the old Tarzan show? would be FANTASTIC!

Maybe a new thrillride?

I'm excited that Disney has decided that AK needs more fantasy and magic.

I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse. -Walt Disney
jaci-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #103
Cap.Steamboat Willie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci-h View Post
I guess I'm in the dis-minority and am excited!! I'm excited for a new land in AK. Can you imagine how amazing nighttime would be at AK with Pandora there? What if they did a show... kind of like the old Tarzan show? would be FANTASTIC!

Maybe a new thrillride?

I'm excited that Disney has decided that AK needs more fantasy and magic.
I do not think you are in the minority. I'm very excited whenever Disney creates something new, especially something as big as an entire land.
Cap.Steamboat Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #104
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofypop View Post
And Dinosaur was such a hit?

I say give it a chance. I think it will be awesome but who knows, I could be wrong and it could stink something fierce. But then others here could be wrong and it could be one of the biggest draws AK will ever have. The point is, right now, no one knows how successful this will be but there are a bunch of people here in this forum condemning it before it even happens. What ever happened to people thinking positively about Disney? I swear, a person can see so much negativity in the forums these days. Instead of being happy that they have a wonderful set of parks to go to they want to hate, gripe, and armchair engineer the parks.

While I think it will be very cool, this whole thing could blow up in Disney's face and then everyone can sit back and thrash Disney over it. Be honest, they could literally transport you to Pandora, for real, and there would still be people that have nothing good to say about it.
My biggest problem with this is that Avatar is not a Disney property and I don't understand why they have to go out of their own catalog and BUY the rights to someone else's movie. I felt the same way about the American Idol Experience at DHS. It was a bad idea when they announced it and it still is. Disney has enough material of it's own that it could be adding to the parks and enough creativity in their Imagineering Department to create unique attractions like Expedition Everest, why do they need to buy other properties that are not part of their brand?
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #105
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyHellstrom View Post
Not a fan. I do not like extra-terrestrials
-Hellstrom
I just thought this was amusing in light of the fact that your signature picture includes Stitch AND a Star Trek t-shirt.

And now, back to the topic at hand.

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: