Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #1
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Guide tips

Can't believe we are just 9 days away from leaving for our Viva Italia trip.

I've been planning this trip for over a year & I can't believe it's finally here.

I have a quick question, when tipping the guides, it says the recommended gratuity is $6-$9 per day per person in US funds.

Since we're in Italy , I had planned on tipping with Euros, but with the exchange rate changing by the minute, I'm wondering exactly how to calculate a fair gratuity

I want to tip fairly, but don't want to under or over tip our guides

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
jlou
Mouseketeer

Think about it this way, the range between the low and high tip ($6 - $9 per person, per guide, per day) is a lot bigger than the range between what the exchange rate has been.

It looks like the exchange rage over the past month has been from 0.68763 to 0.73986 Euros per dollar. This is less than 8%, while the range between low and high tips is 50%. As long as you're not trying to hug either the high or low end of the range, you'll be fine.

To put it in perspective, for a family of four, for a 9 day trip, the range in US $ per guide comes out to $216 - $324.

In Euros, at the worst Euro/US$ exchange rate (0.68763Euro/$), your range in Euros is 149 - 223 Euros.

At the best Euro/US$ exchange rate (0.73986Euro/$), your range is 160 - 240 Euros.

200 Euros is about in the middle of each range.

Me , Hubby , DS (16 at time of our trip) , and DD (13 at time of our trip)

Last edited by jlou; 09-12-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: confusing currency sign.
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Diskidatheart
Mouseketeer

I can tell you that you will want to be at the high end of the range. The guides do a remarkable job and if you budget for the low end, you will be disappointed that you didn't give more. I would calculate what the current rate is for the Euro and calculate that at the high end. It won't be that much different at the end of your trip and if it is, you can always adjust a little up or down. Just my $.02.
Diskidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
jlou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskidatheart View Post
I can tell you that you will want to be at the high end of the range. The guides do a remarkable job and if you budget for the low end, you will be disappointed that you didn't give more. I would calculate what the current rate is for the Euro and calculate that at the high end. It won't be that much different at the end of your trip and if it is, you can always adjust a little up or down. Just my $.02.
I agree with this. The guides are amazing and worth every dollar (or Euro!).

I just wanted to give the OP some perspective as she stated that she didn't want to over- or under-tip.

Me , Hubby , DS (16 at time of our trip) , and DD (13 at time of our trip)
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

consider carrying US dollars that cover the high end--I've come around to this after various ways of tipping (including traveler's checks, which are now not favored as difficult to cash in)...safes are in every room, and I didn't have to worry about finding an ATM at the end etc. If you wanted to tip less than the high end (although I think most on the boards would agree that the guides are great, well-deserving of a high end tip), you'll have US dollars at the end of the trip rather than Euros.
ABD: Scotland (2014), Greece (06/12), Peru (08/11), Germany (12/09), Knights & Lights (12/08), China (06/08), Italy (06/07). DCL: 7 night Alaska Cruise Disney Wonder (7/13), 5 night Xmas Cruise Disney Dream (12/12), 12 night Baltic Disney Magic (06/10), 10-Night Mediterranean Cruise Barcelona, Disney Magic (06/07) Mexican Riveria Cruise Disney Magic (06/05), 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Disney Magic (05/02), 7-Night Vacation Pkg : 4-Night resort and 3-Night cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic (05/99). Hong Kong Disneyland (2008), Paris Disneyland (2008), WDW a few and Disneyland 100+; D23 Charter Member. And completely unbiased!
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I totally agree with this. I just finished a 9 - day trip, and figured for about $100 per Guide. They were MORE than worth it! Someone in your group will have a smart phone, and can look up the current conversion rate at the end of your trip. That's what I did, as I paid our British Guide in Pounds.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

I have always found I wanted to give more to the guides than the suggested trip as they were always phenomenal. On my Alpine Magic trips both guides were European, so I tipped in Euros, on my Emerals Isle trip the guides were both USA based guides so I tipped in US dollars.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
corky441

Quote:
Our guides on our previous ABD trip were outstanding and I will surely be budgeting at the top level for our gratuity payout. More than anything i don't want to end up NOT tipping enough.

Just dealing with the language barrier for the group will be priceless

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
Old 09-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
amsae
Earning My Ears

We now bring two checks with us and write one for each quide. Always the MAX amount as well, execpt once.
I was told that the guides like to have the checks so they can cash back in the US and not have to declare the money, I guess.
amsae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
DisFan10
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I totally agree with this. I just finished a 9 - day trip, and figured for about $100 per Guide. They were MORE than worth it! Someone in your group will have a smart phone, and can look up the current conversion rate at the end of your trip. That's what I did, as I paid our British Guide in Pounds.

Sayhello
Hi SayHello,

Who were your guides on the Knights & Lights AbD? We had Adam and Francesc and we tipped them with a combination of GBP and USD. I'm sure they didn't mind...
Cities of Knights & Lights - June 2010
Bella Italia - June 2009
Enchanted China - Sept 2008
Southwest Splendors - Sept 2007
Spirit of America - August 2007
DisFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

I'd get to know your guides a bit.

On our recent Adventure, one guide was going home to London and he got tipped in pounds.

One guide was heading back to the US and he got tipped in dollars.

Our guides were Adam and Landon and they were spectacular.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
MrPolarZero
Earning My Ears

Good luck on your trip. I hope you'll have a good time.
MrPolarZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #13
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I'd get to know your guides a bit.

On our recent Adventure, one guide was going home to London and he got tipped in pounds.

One guide was heading back to the US and he got tipped in dollars.

Our guides were Adam and Landon and they were spectacular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisFan10 View Post
Hi SayHello,

Who were your guides on the Knights & Lights AbD? We had Adam and Francesc and we tipped them with a combination of GBP and USD. I'm sure they didn't mind...
DisFan10, I was on the same trip as Kevin. Our Guides were Adam and Landon. Both amazing!!! Like Kevin did, since Adam lives in the UK, I tipped him in Pounds, and since Landon was on his way home to the US after our tour, I tipped him in US dollars. If he was staying in Europe, I *might* have tipped him in euros, but as it was, dollars made the most sense.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
corky441

I never gave a thought as to where our guides would be after the trip.

I think I'll make sure I have both dollars and Euros set aside

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: