Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #2026
KatMark
DIS Veteran
 
KatMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 39,179

Love the photos, and that sand sculpture is awesome.
__________________
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #2027
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
Those are some nice pictures of the sand sculpture! I wonder how they did it, so it would last? I would think one good rain and it's over!

Can't wait to see the pearl!


Heading over to P&F's TR now!
I wondered too. I thought that a good rain would wipe it out as well, and it stormed that morning. I have no clue how they keep it safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBetsy View Post
Love the photopass pics! And wow, that sand sculpture is amazing. It looks incredible.

Going to check out your other report! :D
Thanks. The scuplture was pretty cool. I watched part of a show with them working on it recently and it sounds like they were rushing at the end to finish it and of course at times they knocked down part of it and had to start back over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Jetson View Post
Love the sand sculpture I knew it was big but I didn't realize it was that long.
It was pretty amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Hey Jen, so sorry I've been MIA I've barely been on the DIS at all in the last month, I hate it when life gets in the way of DISing!!

I was only about 15 pages behind but I'm glad I got back before you finished completely!

Now you have me worried about your phone.........you weren't kidding when you said there were many mishaps!
Don't worry about it. I'm so behind too. Life doesn't understand how imprtant Dis is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13 View Post
I'm glad that depsite the snippy cm the Marie meet was a good one! Maybe she just wanted to see you hurdle the scooter
That would've been funny.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #2028
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Love the photos, and that sand sculpture is awesome.
It was pretty cool. I had never seen one in years past.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #2029
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25,893

We weren’t exactly sure where the pick a pearl was. I only knew in Japan and in a store. LOL! So we parked the stroller and headed into the 1st store I saw. After walking towards the back, we saw the crowd of people and knew we were in the right spot. I asked what to do and went and paid and got our number.
We watched as others did it. We wanted to see, but then we also didn’t want to get in others way. I did see a family that hung around the front a lot, a lady with her son…and they were NOT doing pick a pearl, just watching. And I have to say she kind of annoyed me. She was in the way a couple of times and didn’t seem to realize it. At one point I said to Claire, loud enough for that lady to hear, that we should move back and allow those getting pearls to have room. She took the hint and moved back too.
We eyed a few oysters and Claire had 1 picked out.
We watched about 4 families before it was our turn. Now the girls make a big deal over this whole procedure, but honestly I could hardly understand a word they said. And they had smiles plastered on their faces. I noticed they switched out after a few pearl picks…I think they had to go rest their face from smiling. LOL!

Here are a couple of very short videos to show you what I mean.





It was our turn and Claire and I picked out a pearl each. I have heard that the uglier the oyster, the better the pearl…but in my opinion they were all pretty darn ugly.
I had mentioned to Claire that sometimes they have 2 in one, and she was hoping for that. I personally was hoping for a blue one.



We opened Claires 1st.







As soon as I saw Claire’s pearl I knew it was big. The sizes that had come before us were in the 6.5-7mm range. Claire’s was 7.5mm. (which really is a lot in pearl size) Of course the CM was all excited and made a big deal about it.



Mine was next and I took another quick video. I prayed there was only one in there. If I had 2 and Claire didn’t…there probably would be crying…of course I would’ve given her my second one.
I sound really dumb in this. I was trying to sound really excited along with Claire.



My pearl was smaller, but she said it had a nice pink tone to it. OK, sure, it looked white to me, but what do I know?



Mine measured a 7mm. That made Claire very happy. It was important for hers to be better than mine.
We got the drums to celebrate.







We got our pearls and then headed out of the store and onto a bench. We pulled out our necklaces and I went to work putting them in. Sounds like it would be easy…right? Well it wasn’t so much for Claire’s. Her pearl was big and I really had to work to get her pearl cage closed and then still get the chain through the link. Of course this made it even better in her mind.
We did get them in the cages and put them on.



I had never really looked in Japan much, so I took a few minutes to look and take a few pictures.











And then we moved on.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #2030
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh
 
Tinkermom76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 3,001

we are doing pick a pearl for the first time this year and I am so excited about it!

We did Kim Possible in Japan last year so I know my way around pretty good. KP is a good way to see the countries
__________________
GAWRSH!!!!!!!

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)


May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Dec 2014 CBR
Tinkermom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #2031
TyTysMommy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 242

I've never gone inside any of the buildings at China or Japan. They never appealed to me. Did you see anything interesting?

Claire's necklace is cute. Did you get that carriage somewhere at WDW?
TyTysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #2032
KatMark
DIS Veteran
 
KatMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 39,179

I have never done Pick A Pearl and really hope to do it this year. Good for Claire!
__________________
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #2033
Woth2982
DIS Veteran
 
Woth2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,050

The pick a pearl photos are great! So funny that Claire is so competitive with the bigger pearl! We also did it and I had no idea what the poor girls were saying. This is probably why they smile so much. One of those "dont know just smile and nod" things lol.
Woth2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #2034
annmarieda
DIS Veteran
 
annmarieda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 8,343

How fun! We are planning on doing the pick a pearl too on our next trip. We even have those carriage necklaces for dd and I. It is neat to see how it looks with a pearl and with Claire wearing it. Very pretty.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #2035
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner
 
Caretames1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 3,351

I know what you mean about people standing in the way of others who are actually DOING to the pick a pearl. I'm glad the CM asked the lady & kids to move in my case, I wouldn't have wanted to make a scene, but would have it they haven't moved!
Makes you wonder where the learn the be courteous of others We watched fronm a distance until it was our turn as well.


Kadence's pearl was huge too, and the carriage didn't close all the way for the chain as well. Sam's twins were 6.5mm and one fit perfect in the necklace.
I'm still looking for a pearl cage, I seen a key with a heart online, but I haven't seen it again.
__________________
2014, A Disney Free Year
IN PROGRESS: SURPRISE...You forgot WHAT!?!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3022868
SURPRISE! Can we do it again? Nov 2012 PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post44413308
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #2036
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermom76 View Post
we are doing pick a pearl for the first time this year and I am so excited about it!

We did Kim Possible in Japan last year so I know my way around pretty good. KP is a good way to see the countries
We have yet to try KP. I bet Claire would like it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTysMommy View Post
I've never gone inside any of the buildings at China or Japan. They never appealed to me. Did you see anything interesting?

Claire's necklace is cute. Did you get that carriage somewhere at WDW?
We only went in that one store. Mostly looked around outside, and honestly I can't remember much about it. LOL! I don't think I stopped there this past trip either. It was so hot then that I am forgetting a lot of that trip already. Must've been buring my brains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I have never done Pick A Pearl and really hope to do it this year. Good for Claire!
It was a fun thing to do. I don't think we'll always do it, but it was something neat and special for the 2 of us. She had no clue about it prior to going on the trip, so that made it more exciting.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Woth2982 View Post
The pick a pearl photos are great! So funny that Claire is so competitive with the bigger pearl! We also did it and I had no idea what the poor girls were saying. This is probably why they smile so much. One of those "dont know just smile and nod" things lol.
I don't know why, but she loves to have better and bigger than me always. And Skip loves to play along with it too. She usually tells me she likes him better than me and i tell her I don't care, because I know deep down she can't go for long without Momma. I'm the one who she goes to when she's scared at night, or needs anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
How fun! We are planning on doing the pick a pearl too on our next trip. We even have those carriage necklaces for dd and I. It is neat to see how it looks with a pearl and with Claire wearing it. Very pretty.
It will be a fun thing. It was kind of neat because I wasn't exactly sure how it worked, so it was a neat experience for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
I know what you mean about people standing in the way of others who are actually DOING to the pick a pearl. I'm glad the CM asked the lady & kids to move in my case, I wouldn't have wanted to make a scene, but would have it they haven't moved!
Makes you wonder where the learn the be courteous of others We watched fronm a distance until it was our turn as well.


Kadence's pearl was huge too, and the carriage didn't close all the way for the chain as well. Sam's twins were 6.5mm and one fit perfect in the necklace.
I'm still looking for a pearl cage, I seen a key with a heart online, but I haven't seen it again.
I thought of you while I was there and the rude people you had to deal with. Many people said those cages fit good sized pearls, so I really didn't worry...till I almost coulnd't shut it.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #2037
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner
 
Caretames1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 3,351

Ok, here's my question. Do Online check in?.....yes or no. If yes, how do you do it?
We went with a standard room at POP, but at the time of booking , I didn't put any room requests in, (dumb, I know) I didn't know much about POP then, it was more of a quick decision at the time.
Thanks a bunch!
__________________
2014, A Disney Free Year
IN PROGRESS: SURPRISE...You forgot WHAT!?!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3022868
SURPRISE! Can we do it again? Nov 2012 PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post44413308
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #2038
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran
 
RinkyTinkyTinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,061

Loved seeing you do PAP! I am thinking about doing it again on our next trip. It was just a fun and different thing to do. And yay to Claire for getting a whopper!
RinkyTinkyTinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #2039
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
Ok, here's my question. Do Online check in?.....yes or no. If yes, how do you do it?
We went with a standard room at POP, but at the time of booking , I didn't put any room requests in, (dumb, I know) I didn't know much about POP then, it was more of a quick decision at the time.
Thanks a bunch!
I do NOTcheck in online. I always put in requests and from what I hear you don't always get them when doing online checkin, especially with the new computer system. I am pretty picky and will try to move my room if needed, which I did in the Spring trip, but still didn't get what I wanted. You can move with online checkin as well, but I feel those lines are meant to be moving faster, so if I am at the desk fiddling around with room changes I am holding up the line, which is making others mad who wanted a faster checkin.

We like poolside, 1st floor and preferred. But thats just us. Some don't like it because it's noisier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkyTinkyTinky View Post
Loved seeing you do PAP! I am thinking about doing it again on our next trip. It was just a fun and different thing to do. And yay to Claire for getting a whopper!
It was a fun thing to do. Claire wears her necklace quite a bit too. I got the whole idea from you. I had heard of others doing it, but when you showed me the pearl coach cage I thought, we could actually do this...for a decent price.
It was definately a highlight for Claire.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #2040
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 28,077

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I do NOTcheck in online. I always put in requests and from what I hear you don't always get them when doing online checkin, especially with the new computer system. I am pretty picky and will try to move my room if needed, which I did in the Spring trip, but still didn't get what I wanted. You can move with online checkin as well, but I feel those lines are meant to be moving faster, so if I am at the desk fiddling around with room changes I am holding up the line, which is making others mad who wanted a faster checkin.

We like poolside, 1st floor and preferred. But thats just us. Some don't like it because it's noisier.



It was a fun thing to do. Claire wears her necklace quite a bit too. I got the whole idea from you. I had heard of others doing it, but when you showed me the pearl coach cage I thought, we could actually do this...for a decent price.
It was definately a highlight for Claire.

Great minds think alike. At POP, we always request building 5, 1st floor, facing the pool.

Katie got her carriage pearl cage for our last trip. Anybody have a pearl cage they really like that we could get for our next trip?
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: