Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
jcscareer
Earning My Ears

Just returned from 9/4 Dream Trip- quick review!

We just returned from our 4 night trip on Disney Dream and had a fabulous time!

Our two cents being newbies...

The ocean view was fantastic however we were barely in our room, so I would consider an inside room next time to save $.

We would bring some drinks on board (water, soda,etc)- it was not convenient to go upstairs to floor #11 to the drink station when thirsty. (not sure where else located)

We would do this over Disney World next time- getting to meet and greet with all of the characters multiple times was great- the kids loved it.

Thought the shows were great- kids really enjoyed them. Golden Mickey's, Villains and Believe.

Would do 7 days next time- felt too rushed (our fault) to make sure we didn't miss anything. We were constantly going and needed a full day to decompress after the cruise.

The dinners felt very very rushed too - that was our only disappointment- we felt like we made our servers mad, the first night they were very friendly- after that they seemed insincere and rushed and had no small talk and no smiles, it was tough to tip when you didn't feel like you experienced the true "Disney Experience." We did get the talk about putting excellent on the survey from them. We did however have a FANTASTIC breakfast server in another dining room- that helped make up the difference.

Cabana's food had a huge variety of options, Flo's dinner as well. We were NEVER hungry.

You will never go thirsty for alcohol (we don't drink) said no thank you- approx one to two times per minute when laying out at pool to servers. Obviously doing their jobs well- just wished they were walking around with free water or free drinks! ha!

Be careful around pools- my daughters both slipped and fell in their flipflops not running- even though the castmembers were doing a tremendous job continuously drying water (sqeegie- how do you spell that?) on surfaces and man that was hot work for them!

The kids loved the pools and Nemo's Reef- felt like their were 100 children in the tiny pool and was very crowded in both. My youngest daughter loved the aquaduck- however the line was over 25- 35 minutes long the entire time- so she only went once, but again- LOVED it.

Kids loved the Pirate Night- we bought the hats on board and swords (someone took one of ours )

The phone system wasn't working while on board- example room service, followed instructions and hit zero, then 1 for room service- sat on hold for 23 minutes, while the on hold music said please wait. Finally I hung up and called again (after kids had fallen asleep) and the front desk said oh yes, we are having a problem you should have dialed this number. I was bummed that they didn't seem to think this was a big deal. Same thing happened when I tried to call the Spa (called 2 x's) - I was never able to get a hold of anyone to book a service (if I really wanted to- I could have found them and done it in person.)

We also decorated our door and someone took the cute decor off, upset the kiddo's- since they decorated and picked it out.

Need to request hair dryer for room- it is not there upon arrival (also the room host takes down the bunk every night- we didn't know this.) Also the hair dryer only plugs in in the middle of the desk area by tv- so you have to dry your hair in middle of room. Kind of strange?

The Elevators mid ship could not handle the passenger load. We walked the 7 + flight of stairs 80% of time because the elevator was full. That was our biggest frustration with two small kids (along with servers- that didn't seem like they wanted to be there.)

The good!
Private Island- AWESOME. AWESOME. AWESOME.
Characters- AWESOME. AWESOME. AWESOME.
Most Castmembers- AWESOME. AWESOME. AWESOME.
The Clue Game (cannot remember name) was fun! Use your card all over ship looking for pictures with clues.
Our room was always immaculate- VERY happy to tip our room host, loved the bunk bed- our room was actually spacious in layout.
Loved the shower area for kids/adults.
Guest Services- quick moving and friendly!
Ship - beautiful.
Enjoyed the shows
Enjoyed the fireworks
My niece was graduated from Culinary School and did a Mickey Mouse themed dinner for a final project- we bought a Mickey Mouse Oven Mitt and had all of the characters sign it. We also did the pillow case and turned into guest services and had characters sign it- the kids loved it.

My shy child- blossomed (I was shocked) she raised her hand to participate in shows, dressed up for pirate night (complete with sword and arggghhh) was hugging characters (not her style AT ALL) and asking for autographs (not making Mommy do it!) So proud of her!

Really just a wonderful family memory- wish we could afford to go while our kids on are school break!

My two cents- for those getting ready to cruise- you will have a great time, but you already know that- huh?

Happy Cruising!
Jaime
jcscareer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Disneytwinsmom
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for your review. I appreciate you taking the time. It sounds like your whole family had a wonderful vacation!
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Samantha_Mommy
Mouseketeer

sounds like you had a wonderful time .... I thought the same thing about the elevators BUT with us eating all that food maybe its a good thing that there is some walking.....

Disney Fantasy November 2013
Samantha_Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran

Great info...we were on the same cruise. I can second the phone issue. DH was on hold with room service for over 20 min then I tried calling from the Wave Phone (which has a pre-loaded contact list) and got through immediately.

Wonder 10/14 * Reimagined Magic 12/13 * Swan/Dream/Animation: 12/12 * Beach Club: 1/12 - work * AKL/Dream: 9/11 - my daughter's and nieces' first cruise! * Beach Club/Wonder: 11/08 - work * Beach Club/Wonder: 8/08 - work (I get paid to go?!) * Dolphin/Wonder: 12/05 * RCCL - Jewel inaugural season (Western) 4/05-work * RCCL - Serenade inaugural season (Alaska) 8/04 - work * Swan/Magic: 11/03 Eastern * Dolphin/Wonder 10/02 - our honeymoon * WDW '83
2disneycruzrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
TravelingJen24
DVC Member

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I hope that we can say the same in December. We are looking forward to making reservations tomorrow. Did you happen to have a cabana on the island?
TravelingJen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
NoodlesMom
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the review! We head out in 10 days and we are beyond excited. I'm glad you had a great trip. I think we prefer to cruise over the parks as well. Now if I could only find a way to afford it every year.
Pop Century 7/2007- 1st Trip-- Disney Cruise on the Magic 2009--Pop Century 6/2010-- One Night Premium B-day trip ASsp/Dolphin 9/2010-- Saratoga Springs Resort 7/2011 -- Beach Club Villas/Disney Dream 9/2011!Disney Dream AKL 02/13 Adults Only!11/13 Disney Dream/ Swan Thanksgiving Surf and Turf! Food and Wine ASMo Bday trip 9/14
NoodlesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
jcscareer
Earning My Ears

Cabana

I should have mentioned we would consider renting a cabana next time- we were a little jealous of the folks over there. Had no idea- how cool they were!

We still had a great time- we went to the second beach (cannot remember name- second stop on tram) it was less crowded than the first family beach.

As far as elevators go- we felt the same way- maybe this was our way of working off a quarter of what we ate on board!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
WAHMto5
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you had a great time!
1988~DL/1994~DL / Summer 2002~WDW POR / Summer 2004~WDW Off Site (Nick Hotel) / Christmas 2005~WDW FW Cabins / September 2006~WDW AKL / April 2008~ DL (Marine Grad Trip) /June 2009~WDW Pop /May 2010~WDW Pop /October 2011~Disney Dream Cruise /May 2013~WDW ??
WAHMto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcscareer View Post

Need to request hair dryer for room- it is not there upon arrival (also the room host takes down the bunk every night- we didn't know this.) Also the hair dryer only plugs in in the middle of the desk area by tv- so you have to dry your hair in middle of room. Kind of strange?
just a side note on the hair dryer - since we went on the maiden voyage and all..... the hair dryer is in a bag in a cabinet around the desk area now - near the plug it fits in to! i say this because on the MV, it was in the bathroom. but apernetly someone neglected to put a PLUG it can plug in to!!!!

yours may well have been missing or something, but just for anyone who reads this!

sounds like you had a great time! wait - i mean an AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME time!!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Elevator tip. Instead of taking the mid-ship elevators, walk from your stateroom to the forward (or aft depending on your destination) elevators and then go up. Reverse when going back to your cabin.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
jcscareer
Earning My Ears

Elevators

Good tip for future Dream travelers.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat View Post
just a side note on the hair dryer - since we went on the maiden voyage and all..... the hair dryer is in a bag in a cabinet around the desk area now - near the plug it fits in to! i say this because on the MV, it was in the bathroom. but apernetly someone neglected to put a PLUG it can plug in to!!!!

yours may well have been missing or something, but just for anyone who reads this!

sounds like you had a great time! wait - i mean an AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME time!!
They're not pre-placed...GS said you have to request them. We had three staterooms and as OP mentioned, you have to call GS to get one. Even after a request, my MIL never got hers but just used my SIL's who brought one.

Wonder 10/14 * Reimagined Magic 12/13 * Swan/Dream/Animation: 12/12 * Beach Club: 1/12 - work * AKL/Dream: 9/11 - my daughter's and nieces' first cruise! * Beach Club/Wonder: 11/08 - work * Beach Club/Wonder: 8/08 - work (I get paid to go?!) * Dolphin/Wonder: 12/05 * RCCL - Jewel inaugural season (Western) 4/05-work * RCCL - Serenade inaugural season (Alaska) 8/04 - work * Swan/Magic: 11/03 Eastern * Dolphin/Wonder 10/02 - our honeymoon * WDW '83
Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
sambycat
DIS Veteran

hmmm... we had one in our cabin in august - and i thought i had read somewhere that they had moved them after the whole "nowhere to plug it in" debacle!!

will file away for future reference!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Elevator tip. Instead of taking the mid-ship elevators, walk from your stateroom to the forward (or aft depending on your destination) elevators and then go up. Reverse when going back to your cabin.
This is a really good tip I forgot to put in my trip report and especially when you board initially. The mids were so busy but the aft was empty. We never had a wait at our aft elevators, and I was amazed how much faster these are than the classic ships. I never used the elevator much in previous cruises but having an 82 MIL and sometimes carrying a 2YO made the elevator use frequent.

Tags
4 days, dream, servers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: