Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
jlsfagan
Earning My Ears

Question romance + good food = Great honeymoon : I need help!!

Hi Guys,

I am new to the boards I am 24 while my DF soon to be DH is 25. I am getting ready for my honeymoon and I have most everything figured out except for all of the places we are going to eat I have book an ADR for California grill for our anniversary which just happens to be one of the days we will be down there but that is it for ADR's. So this is where I need help, from you guys. Where are the most romantic places to have dinner, lunch and breakfast in your opinion? These do not have to be just on property we will be driving so I will have a car to drive if I need to go off site.

Also, tipping it will just be the two of us and we are staying at BWI. How much do you normally tip the bagage people (or bell boy) for bringing up your bags?

Because I saw something saying that you had use them I mean I am ok with taking my own bags to my room if this will save me some money, but apparently from what I understand it has to be done for you and you also have to pay for it. I am not sure if I have gotten this one correct I may just not unnderstand this one, so I was just checking.
jlsfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
Quin
DIS Veteran

Hello and congratulations!

You probably need to go to the resort board for questions about BWI. As far as food, are you on a dining plan? If so, which one and how many nights are you staying in a Disney resort?

Even with a car, it is wisest to group your meals around the area of the World where you plan to be on a specific day. Unless you have Park Hoppers, your meals need to either be in the park you are visiting that day or at a resort.

In general, all the Signature restaurants have better food, higher end service, and could be deemed more romantic. I would give especially high marks to Artist Point and Jiko for that. Signatures cost 2 TS credits on the DDP and 2 meal credits on the DxDP.

For 1 TS restaurants I'd especially recommend Restaurant Marrakesh, Chefs de France, and San Angel Inn in Epcot, Yak&Yeti in AK, and, well, not too much that's quiet and romantic in MK or DHS. There are good fun places to eat, but MK is obviously going to have the most families with children, and the DHS restaurants lean heavily towards fun theming. Sci-Fi might be cool.

At the different resorts, look at Turf Club at SSR, Captain's Grill at BC/YC, and The Wave at CR.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

Quin had some good recommendations. I would deffinately throw into the mix Citricos (Grand Floridian) and Flying Fish (on the Boardwalk). These are hands down our 2 favorite signature meals (followed by Artist Point and Jiko, CG gets honorable mention for their sushi). If you are not tied down to dining plan credits I would suggest Shula's and bluezoo (both at the Dolphin), V&A's or even the Chef's Wine Tasting Dinner at Flying Fish (if you can budget them).

I will mention that with dinner at Jiko, it gives you a chance to walk around AKL which is a beautiful resort, have a drink, sit out by the fire pit or just watch the savannahs (with and without night vision goggles). The whole experience is more than just dinner, but a whole night where you can find some romance.

While I don't find any of the 1 TS restaurants particularly romantic, I will say that Sanaa at Kidani will give you the closest thing to a romantic meal. It is open for lunch or dinner and is a short bus ride away from AK.

Check out the menus on allears.net to give yourself an idea of the menus and what is offered at them. Just note that many dishes at the signatures are seasonal so what you see on the menu it shows may not be what is offered on your trip (which is why I say to "give yourself an idea").

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV / 2014- POR / 2014- Disney Fantasy (Western)
OhThePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
crostorfer
Gryffindor Gal

I think the Flying Fish at the BWI is the best TS restaraunt on property. Amazing food, great service, and it isn't hard to get a reservation there.

You might also try bluezoo, a short walk away from the Boardwalk at the Dolphin. I don't think they take the DDP, but there are less children there and the bar area is amazing and makes original and outstanding cocktails.

crostorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Grumpy92
DIS Veteran

It is recommended $1-$2 per bag with regards to the bellmen.

Lots of great restaurants and some good suggestions.
Bistro de Paris, smaller, tends to be quietier restaurant with a great view of the EC fireworks
Citricos, Flying Fish, Artist Pt
Love the cozy booths at Brown Derby

Have you thought about a carriage ride for two? They are available in the evening at FW, WL and POR.
Grumpy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Your willingness to go off-site leads me to conclude that you are not on the dining plan. That said, there aren't too many places within easy reach that I would count as "romantic". However, Emeril's Tchoup Shop near Universal is very good and has a very cool, non-Disney vibe. As for Disney restaurants, other than Victoria & Albert's, romance is really what you make of it, and isn't really thrust at you, front and center. If V&A fits into your schedule and budget, go for it. If not, I would try:

Citricos, followed by a nightcap at Mizner's. That bar is always empty and I don't think that there is a more romantic spot on the property than being dressed up and sitting alone at that bar.

bluezoo. It is darker, less crowded, and less noisy than a typical Disney restaurant.

Shula's. Frankly, I don't get "romance" from a beefy steak house, but it is the darkest, quietest restaurant on property.

Artist Point.

A late dinner at Bistro de Paris.

Jiko, for all the reasons mentioned by OhThePain. Walking around the savannah after dinner, hand in hand can really create a moment.

I find picnics to be particularly romantic, and don't forget that you can bring food into the parks. Go to the gourmet food shop at the Boardwalk and buy some supplies. Bread, cheese, finger foods, maybe some sandwiches, and eat them in the MK while sitting on a bench on Main Street, or over by the Hall of Presidents. There really aren't any romantic restaurants in the MK, so create your own by picking a people-watching spot where others can envy your creativity.

While you won't be "alone", watching the fireworks from the beach at the Poly is a great thing to do. And if you walk a little ways away from the crowd that will gather by the pool, you can find a quiet spot to stand or sit. Grab a tropical drink from the bar before the show and find a nice place to relax there.

These are just a few suggestions. At Disney World, romance is what you make of it, not what they spoon feed you. So always be on the lookout. There is romance where you least expect it.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy92 View Post
Have you thought about a carriage ride for two? They are available in the evening at FW, WL and POR.
My girlfriend and I did one of these at POR a couple of years ago. It's about $40 for the carriage (not per person) for about 30 mins or so. You are allowed to drink on the carriage so swing by a lounge close by and grab a glass of wine and enjoy. We were the last ride of the night and talked with our carriage driver for a little while after the ride. I don't remember the drivers name but the horse was Luke and he was very friendly.

If you go to POR, after the ride head in to the River Roost, have a drink and watch YeeHaw Bob, he's pretty entertaining. Then take the boat to DTD and have either a late night walk or maybe dessert at Ghirardelli's to cap off the night.

Like JimmyV said, romance is what you make of it. There are no real right or wrong ways to find romance at WDW. You can find romance in any moment the 2 of you share together (cue cheesey '80's "Awwwww" track).

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV / 2014- POR / 2014- Disney Fantasy (Western)
OhThePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

If it can fit into your budget, go to Victoria and Albert's. It is one of only 46 AAA Five Diamond rated restaurants in the entire country. For more information, and sample menus, go to www.victoria-alberts.com

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

You can take your own bags to your room. Just park in self-parking. Check in. When your room is ready, get your bags from the car and take them yourself to your room. We would much rather tip than go through all of this hassle, but I see plenty of people at BWI wheeling their own luggage.

As for romantic dining at WDW, there aren't too many romantic restaurants, unfortunately, especially now that all of the restaurants are jam-packed with free diners. V&A is your best bet by far for romance.

Beyond V&A, it's best to stick with restaurants that do not take DDP (unless you are on DDP). Shula's can be romantic if you get the back room where there are a lot of two-tops. The front rooms tend to be noisy with conventioneers. We haven't tried BlueZoo but that looks promising for a bit of romance. We love Il Mulino, but it is "noisy trattoria" rather than romantic -- except for the fact that we find great food and wonderful wine and complimentary limoncello romantic in its way. We like Fulton's for a quiet lunch. The bar area is usually not too busy for lunch so that can be kind of romantic.

At Disney DDP restaurants, Jiko has a fun setting but rarely do we find it romantic or quiet (even in the wine room). I agree with the suggestion of Sanaa -- if you go late and ask for a savannah view table it can be a little romantic (and there is also a pretty sitting area with fireplace -- we like to get a couple of drinks at the bar and take them to this area to enjoy while waiting for our table. California Grill is not even remotely romantic, IMO. Just pure chaos all the time. Narcoosee's can be okay if you go late. Same for Flying Fish. Citrico's I guess might be romantic, but it was very noisy and busy the night we were there (which happened to be a Mickey's Halloween Party night, which probably didn't help). Citrico's has a lovely private room, the Chef's Domain, that would be very romantic and lovely, but there is a $600 minimum before tax and tip to use it -- so that is a real splurge for two. You might consider a private dining experience planned by Grand Floridian. I don't know the rules on who can book that, etc., but there have been good reports about it. Another very expensive splurge would be dinner and cruise aboard the Grand One yacht at GF.

We were terribly disappointed with our 9 pm dinner at Bistro de Paris. It was noisier and more chaotic than Chef Mickey's -- even at that late hour. So, it is off our list.

If you are willing to go over to Universal, JimmyV's suggestion of Tschop Chop at the Royal Pacific is romantic for dinner (not so much for lunch). Also, we find Emeril's at City Walk to be romantic for lunch or dinner (great food, lovely wine list and not too noisy most of the time). Bice at Portofino Bay Hotel is a very romantic spot (never mind that during our meal last week the woman at the table next to us sobbed her way through her entire meal, including several crying jags on her cell phone -- but that was unusual and unfortunate). We also had great meals at Mamma Della's at Portofino Bay. That place can be busy, but there are some quieter corners, especially if you go late.

Finally, we find it romantic to get the cheese plate from the bakery at France in Epcot, get a couple of glasses of wine from the store or cart and sit at the tables overlooking the lake.

Best wishes for a lovely honeymoon!
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

Restaurants at Disney that could be romantic:

Citricos - my #1 pick for a romantic night out
Artist Point
bluezoo
Sanaa
Bistro de Paris
Jiko
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

Try eating at off hour's - we normal try to get 8:30pm to 9:30pm for dinner depending on park hours.

I would do at least 1 character meal not romantic but lots of fun and great pictures for your album.

As for lunch you can take a break and eat in some of the resorts, Grand Floridan cafe, Kona, Wave, these are not as busy as the park table service.

Walk around the boardwalk in the later evening hand in hand is very romantic. In Epcot check out some of the gardens and rose path.

At DTD Disney we got lucky one afternoon at T-Rex - around 3:00 there was a hand full of other guest eating, I asked to sit in the ice room, she said the section was closed, but when we went to the table we were the only one in there, Fun..

Try Breakfast at Rainforest at AK, not very crowded, and will give you a break from the parks.

Romance is everywhere, you just have to make it

Congrat's and have a wonderful Mickeymoon
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #12
ScoJo15
There will be days when I don't know if I can run a marathon. There will be a lifetime knowing that I have. ~ Unknown

Just throwing in my votes for:

Citricos
Bistro de Paris
Jiko

For all of the reasons that have already been posted! You cannot go wrong with these three IMO

Congrats!
ScoJo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
P00H1010
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I would say that as far as the parks are concerned Epcot probably has the best selection of "romantic setting" restaurants. Out of the places in Epcot I have personally eaten at I would recommend: San Angel Inn (Mexico), Tutto Italia (Italy), and Le'Cellier (Canada). All of these places gave great atmospheres and great food. I would say a nice dinner and then watch Illuminations would be a romantic evening. Another romantic idea would be in Magic Kingdom get ice cream from the Main Street Ice Cream Parlor....There are a few tables and chairs between the Plaza Restaurant and the Tomorrowland Terrace that has a great view of the castle- especially beautiful at night

July 2010: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2011: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2012: Split Stay @ Bay Lake Tower/Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2013: Split Stay @ Art of Animation/Beach Club Villas
July 2014: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
P00H1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

We love Narcoossee's (for the fireworks) and Jiko for nice adult meals. We ate at both for our honeymoon and 1st anniversary.

Congrats!

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV- October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!* UPCOMING: December 2015- BLT
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #15
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

We had a very romantic experience on our trip this past June....

In France in EPCOT, we got a glass of champagne at the beverage cart and scored a table right next to it that overlooks the WS Lagoon. While DH held our table, I went into the France Bakery and got us a cheese plate which came with a cheese sampler, a small baguette and some fruit I think for less than $10. We sat there and sipped our champagne, sampled the cheese and watched Illuminations -- all at our own little table for two. It wasn't planned and couldn't have been scripted any better, but it was perfect and I'll never forget it!!

It wasn't exactly a traditional meal, but it was enough for us and it was wonderful!! I hope something similar can happen for you.

Big congrats to both of you!!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dining, planning help, tipping, tips and tricks, trip planning