Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
yenanh00
Mouseketeer

Road trip help from Disneyland to Sea..

I was wondering if anyone can tell me which route to take for a road trip from Disneyland to Seattle? I'm going to have 3,4, and 8 yrs old with me plus DH. We are doing a road trip after Disney. I'm planning to hit the beach at least once since there really isnt an actual beach in Seattle. Which one do you guys recommend? also to stop by San Francisco and Sacramento? any good place to eat along the way? What about anything is a must do or fun for my kids? thank you in advance.. Also when is rush hour in LA to start leaving for our trip?
yenanh00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Your final question is tricky because of another one.

The beaches will be better the further south you are. This is because the water and air will be warmer. So to avoid traffic and get to the beach when it's warm you might want to leave at ten, go to the beach, leave the beach by 3pm to avoid traffic leaving LA.

I would drive the scenic coast on highway 1, Between San Louis Obisbo and Monterey. This is a long drive.

If not on the coast there, you could drive the coast between Eugene and Portland Oregon.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
yenanh00
Mouseketeer

any suggestion where to stop along the way? san francisco or sacremento?
yenanh00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

I guess it depends on how you want to time the first day.

Stopping in San Louis Obisbo or Monterey.

You could visit Hearst Castle, the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Even the board walk in Santa Cruz.

SF I'd try to give a couple or 3 days. Lots to see and do there.

If you go all the way to Sacremento, I have enjoyed the Train Museum as a youth and adult. But Sac is a little out of the way.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
eduk8r26
DIS Veteran

The drive along 101 from San Francisco north to Astoria, Oregon is a nice drive. The redwoods in northern California, ocean almost all through Oregon. The cheese factory in Tillamoook. You can easily drive and stop, drive and stop all through Oregon. There's so much to see.
eduk8r26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenanh00 View Post
any suggestion where to stop along the way? san francisco or sacremento?
San Francisco hands down!
If you are coming up the coast San Francisco is easier to get to. Sacramento is much further inland and only worth a stop if you are coming up I-5

With the ages of your kids I would highly suggest
The Childrens Museum in San Jose (this place is amazing!)
The San Francisco Zoo
The Exploratorium is really cool but better suited for you older child
The Monterey Bay Aquarium is amazing
Personally while Hearst Castle is quite a site for adults I would imagine that small children would find it very boring.
The Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk would be fun for the whole family

What is your time frame for the road portion of your trip? That is a Loonnnggg drive
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
Aurora1959
The glorious day when they go back to school
I've never gotten it in different doses
now if I could just get some of those chocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduk8r26 View Post
The drive along 101 from San Francisco north to Astoria, Oregon is a nice drive. The redwoods in northern California, ocean almost all through Oregon. The cheese factory in Tillamoook. You can easily drive and stop, drive and stop all through Oregon. There's so much to see.
I totally agree with you on this drive. We did it when I was 13. The only issue is that the OP is going to have 3 young kids. Unless you want to stop and see a lot of things along this route - they are going to be bored. There is only so much looking out a window that they can handle before they get cranky. If you have the time to really enjoy the trip, I think it's worth it.

When my mom and dad took us on this, we spent about 10 days. We started in Astoria and and ended in SF before we went home. Their pattern was to visit a bit where ever we stayed the night. Drive for a few hours stopping to take breaks, then getting to our next overnight in time for dinner, or just after. Then start all over again in the morning. We hit Tillamook, Mystery Trees, Lighthouses I can't remember the names of, Fort Ross, Sea Ranch, Bowling Ball Beach, and a few other places I forgot the names of. I don't think everyone needs to take all that time. I just don't think it should be done with small kids in a day or two. It's not worth it.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Esteri
DIS Veteran

I think we're missing a really important piece of information to give you the best recommendations... How many days are you planning on your road trip taking? There's a world of difference between 3 and 10.

I can't recommend coming to Sacramento (and I live there!) on a trip like this - it's out of your way. Better off spending the time in San Francisco.

You've received some really great suggestions, all stuff that I'd say, so I'll just shut up now.

Offsite 1991 ~ Offsite 1993 ~ Shades of Green 1995 ~ DVC Member since 1999 ~
Shades of Green Oct 1999 ~ Old Key West Jan 2001 ~ Beach Club Villas Oct 2003 ~ Shades of Green / Disney Magic Aug 2006 ~ Old Key West Aug 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs May 2008 ~ Grand Californian 2008 ~ Disney Magic Through the Panama Canal Aug 2008 ~ Grand Californian Villas Feb 2010 ~
Split Stay Animal Kingdom Villas / Saratoga Springs in a GV June 2010 ~ WDW Somewhere summer 2012
Esteri is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: