Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
Verstehen
But...they don't TASTE like apples!

"Danger is my cup of tea." Sep 1-5 TR! Update: Day two complete, with MSEP pictures!

Update, 10/27: We are now halfway through our trip, so sad! But you can make it better by subscribing!

Helllooooo humans!
My sister and I had a lovely trip to WDW from September 1-5, and if you care at all, Iíd love to tell you about it!
First, some introductions are probably in order.

My nameís Rachel. Iím 23 and live in Tampa. I was born in Schenectady, NY, and lived there until a year ago when I got a job at a college down here. Of course the first thing I thought when I got the job offer was, ďDISNEY!!!Ē I picked myself up an AP a few months after moving down, and have made pretty good use of it ever since. I go at least once a month and can usually find someone to spend time with while Iím there (have discovered solo days are not really my thing). Although Iím not even close to it right now, I hope to one day have my own DS or DD to take to the world. By then I actually hope to not be living in FL. Close to the magic, but way too far from family

Before I moved to Florida, I went to Disney seven times. My favorite resort by far is WL, but that was a little out of budget for this trip. I got a great AP rate at my second favorite, POFQ. I do hope to stay at a monorail resort some day, but thatíll be a when-I-get-rich-and-famous goal. Itís safe to say that Iím a certified Disney freak. Iíve got an HM tattoo, have made more than one Kingdom Hearts costume in my anime convention days, and Iím pretty sure all my friends are just plain sick of hearing about Disney by now.

Aside from Disney, my time is mostly spent either at my job or working on my grad school homework (Iím doing a low-residency MFA). I try to have a social life, but it doesnít usually work out.

The second player in this fabulous adventure is my younger sister Rebekah.

Sheís 19 and still lives in NY with our parents. Sheís only been to Disney three times before. Twice we went as a family, but her health was not as good those days and she was sick for much of it (and remembers almost nothing). She went again two years ago with a camp group, and while her health was much better, she didnít really enjoy herself. During the trip they had to wear the same shirts, and since the group paying for the trip was an Orthodox Jewish group, the shirts were long-sleeved and dark colors. Which is AWFUL, considering all the kids on the trip had various illnesses of one kind or another, most of which made the Florida heat even more unbearable (in August no less!). They also could only eat the certified kosher meals provided by the group, which were a step down quality-wise from Disney fare (weíre Jewish, but we donít keep kosher). They also separated into groups of kids plus a couple of counselors, but if one member of the group couldnít/wouldnít go on a ride, nobody could. So in the end, she got to do very little.

Even though her health is iffy at times, with the wheelchair and frequent stops for cold drinks she was actually able to do quite a bit. Her health has dramatically improved since her first Disney trip, to the point where she had no trouble traveling on an airplane by herself, or changing the battery on her oxygen concentrator. So proud!

A little background on how this trip came about: I usually donít stay at a hotel when I go. I either stay with a friend who lives in the area or just do a day trip. Since moving here, I only stayed at the world once, when my mom came to visit last year and we did a weekend at WL. She rekindled her love of Disney and booked a week at POFQ for her honeymoon in December of this year. It was meant to be more of a family vacation than a honeymoon, with not just her partner but myself and my sister as well. Unfortunately, unexpected expenses (like the wedding itself) kept getting in the way and she ultimately had to cancel.

Not long after that I was on the phone with her and lamenting about how sad I was that we wouldnít get to have our Disney holiday, and she said, ďWell, it was more of something we were doing so that Rebekah could go.Ē
To which I jokingly replied, ďWell, just put her on a plane and Iíll take her.Ē Jokingly because I didnít think it was a possibility for her to travel alone, not because I didnít want to do it

There was a pause on the other end, and my mom said, ďThatís actually a great idea.Ē

So, at the tail end of July 4th weekend, I made a call to Disney and got some quotes for a four night stay over Labor Day weekend with an AP room only discount. It was between SSR (we got a flex deal for a studio - $800 for four nights!), POFQ, and POP. Ultimately, we nixed SSR because my family lives pretty close to the real Saratoga Springs, itís a HUGE resort, and we didnít want one of us to be stuck with a pullout couch. My mother told me to go with POFQ, which was about $40 more a night than POP, but small, familiar, and she was sure weíd like the theming better. She was absolutely right.

I also booked us some ADR, found Becky airline flights and discount tickets, and made arrangements for time off work. WDW trip 2011 was a go!
Overall, this was a great chance for us to bond and spend time together. Living so far away from home, I donít get a lot of chances to see family members, especially Rebekah, who is usually busy with schoolwork whenever I come home for a visit. It was also a chance to celebrate her high school graduation!

So, what sort of shenanigans did we get into on our trip? Well, if you want to find out, please keep your hands, arms and legs inside the thread at all times, and no flash pictures, please!

"Danger is My Cup of Tea." A Labor Day Weekend Trip Report!

1991: CBR, 1994: WL, 1994: POR (Dixie Landings), 1995: WL, 1997: CSR, 2001: POFQ, 2008: Offsite, 2010: WL (CL!), 2011: POFQ, 2012: DLR! (Offsite, day trip), CBR

Florida resident annual passholder! Too many day trips to list here! Exclamation point!

Last edited by Verstehen; 10-27-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Verstehen

Table of Contents

Prologue: The Sugar Incident
Chronicles of Our I-4 Journey
TiW and Dinner at Sanaa
We Finally Arrive at POFQ!
Day one part one: Hollywood Studios
Day one part two: DTD and Fantasmic!
Day two, part one: Crystal Palace
Day one, part two: Rides at MK
Day two, part three: Main Street Electrical Parade (first batch)
Day two, part three: second batch
Day two, part three: third batch
Day two, part three: fourth batch

1991: CBR, 1994: WL, 1994: POR (Dixie Landings), 1995: WL, 1997: CSR, 2001: POFQ, 2008: Offsite, 2010: WL (CL!), 2011: POFQ, 2012: DLR! (Offsite, day trip), CBR

Florida resident annual passholder! Too many day trips to list here! Exclamation point!

Last edited by Verstehen; 10-27-2011 at 05:25 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to hear about POFQ
Old 09-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Verstehen

Thanks! I'll try not to disappoint. Look for updates today or tomorrow

Old 09-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Great start! Look forward to reading more.

I am a "local" too who was transplanted from north. Are you part of the Central Florida DISboarders?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Verstehen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Great start! Look forward to reading more.

I am a "local" too who was transplanted from north. Are you part of the Central Florida DISboarders?
I wasn't aware that such a thing existed! Seems I only explore the top of the forum pages. I shall certainly get on that, or is it on another website altogether?

Old 09-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verstehen View Post
I wasn't aware that such a thing existed! Seems I only explore the top of the forum pages. I shall certainly get on that, or is it on another website altogether?
Oh yes! We try to arrange one official meet a month, but lots of us go once a week or more. So there are many impromtu meets too. Next official meet is Oct 1st.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....623957&page=20

We were at CSR the weekend before you, Aug 26 to 29th. My TR starts on page 48 of the Disney Done Differently thread.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

Signing on! I am a WL lover too, so curious to see how POFQ compares for you. I can't wait to hear all about your"sisters" trip!

Last edited by Piglets Mommy; 09-07-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to read your report. We love POFQ-our favorite moderate. And love those beignets.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
Cinderella's slipper
A cross between Cinderella and Winnie the Pooh - "uniquely me"

Danger in Disney?

Cant wait to read more!

Linda ~~WDW Commando Club #200
October 1982 offsite -- October 1986 offsite
Many trips in between -POFQ -- Disney World Land & Sea Cruise Poly, Sept 2001 -- POR, Sept 2002 -- Disneyland, Aug 2005 --Shades of Green, Feb 2008 -- Dreams Come True Trip, AKL, Oct 2009 --POFQ, Sept 2011 -- Pop Century, Oct 2012 -- Offsite, March 2014 an all girls trip.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
NMW
DIS Veteran

subscribing
Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Subbing! I can't wait to hear about your trip together.

Follow me on Instagram: @keep_calm_love_disney
Follow me on Twitter: @disney_voss
Danielle

In progress TRs:
My Fork and I Are Friends - Nov 14 TR
They Don't Eat Hash Browns in Princessland - May 14 TR
Completed TRs:
Jan 14 TR July.13 Apr. 13
Nov.12 July.12 Jan.12 Nov. '11 July '11 Feb. '11 Nov. 10 and Jan. 11 Oct. '09.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #13
daraddg
DIS Veteran

subbing we are booked for pofq in Nov cant wait to see your pics!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:07 AM   #14
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Subbing! Found your report from the POFQ thread. I'm looking forward to reading about your trip!

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #15
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Yesterday when I posted, I had skimmed through your opening post. With more time on my hands, I went back and re-read it.

You are an amazing big sister! So wonderful of you to arrange everything for your sister! Sorry it didn't work out for the whole family, but that's wonderful that your sister still got to go!

I'm sorry she didn't get to experience much with her tour group and it's too bad she didn't remember anything from her first trip. I look forward to reading how you made it all up to her. I bet you both had a fabulous time. I hope her health did well while she was here, and her solo flights went well?! Oh, and congratulations to her on her high school graduation!

I understand what it's like being away from family. Mine are all in PA and my dh's are all in OH. We find we have more family visiting us since we moved than we did when we lived 30 minutes away from everyone.

I look forward to your review of POFQ. We are staying there for the first time in Dec, though I've walked the ground and ate beignets when we use to stay at POR.

If you are ever looking for good kosher food in FL, I am told that this place http://www.cohensdeli.com/ is very good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: