Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
SDFgirl
Weekend spelunker
Cutting up foods makes me happy
Shared a flight with Carol Brady
Warning! If I don't know you I might bum a ride to get a haircut!

OT - books for young kids with gay parents?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me.

I'm looking for some kids' books that celebrate all different kinds of families - it would be particularly helpful if gay families were included. This would be for a little boy around 3 or 4 years old.

Any ideas? Thanks so much!!!

May 2005 POR - First trip as a couple
September 2008 POR - Found out we were expecting our middle DD on the last day
September 2009 BCV - Grand Gathering!
April 2010 FW - Tent Camping!
Next trip, February 2013 - Surprise for our 3 kids!
SDFgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
copperhound
Earning My Ears

Todd Parr's books are great, and very appealing to the 3-4 y.o. set, as they have lots of brightly colored pictures. He has a book called "The Family Book" that might meet your needs.
copperhound is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
ChrizJen
I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo!!
Sorry about the lack of linkage
Oh, I can't believe what I let you people rope me into!!

"And Tango Makes Three" by Justin Richardson is a really cute one. It's based on a true story of two male penguins at a zoo who hatched and raised an "adopted" egg.

Copperhound's suggestion of Todd Parr is a good one. His books are all very simple and colorful for young children, and he celebrates diversity in all of his books!

I'm sure there are more, but I'm drawing a blank...
Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
SDFgirl
Weekend spelunker
Cutting up foods makes me happy
Shared a flight with Carol Brady
Warning! If I don't know you I might bum a ride to get a haircut!

Thanks you all! I will check them out. :-)

May 2005 POR - First trip as a couple
September 2008 POR - Found out we were expecting our middle DD on the last day
September 2009 BCV - Grand Gathering!
April 2010 FW - Tent Camping!
Next trip, February 2013 - Surprise for our 3 kids!
SDFgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
TinkerChelle
Happy Mommy of 2

My two year olds favorite book right now is "Mommy, Mama, and Me" by Lesléa Newman and Carol Thompson (Jun 9, 2009) I highly recommend this book for pre-schoolers.
TinkerChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
mickeysaver
WINNER of the world's worst limerick contest! ;)
I am a LARGE toddler!
No one wants to contemplate their mortality while their broccoli is getting cold

Location: 20 years in the past aka Daytona Beach - It's so weird here!

We have books with the basic "normal" family members in it and we do our best to explain that some families have a this or a than, but not all do, and that's ok. Everyone is different and everyone is special in their own way.

We have these 3 little resin frogs each the same size, but decorated with it's own beautiful pattern and colors. We bought them many years ago but they now sit on top of her dresser. I explain to her every day that our family is like those three little frogs, each one is very much the same, but each one is different and beautiful in it's own way. This explaination is usually followed by a big huggy squeeze and a kiss.

Bless her heart, the baby has the most warped family tree. Mommy, who lives with Grandma. Daddy, who lives with Grandmommy & her partner Nana. Then her primary home is with Dada and me, aka Mama. She has an maternal Uncle too, but he is young and pretty baby phobic. lol Then she has 7 or maybe 8 paternal uncles and aunts that are the children that Grandmommy & Nana had before they became a couple. I can hardly wait to explain all of this to her teachers when she has to draw her family for a class assignment. lol
mickeysaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysaver View Post
We have books with the basic "normal" family members in it and we do our best to explain that some families have a this or a than, but not all do, and that's ok. Everyone is different and everyone is special in their own way.

We have these 3 little resin frogs each the same size, but decorated with it's own beautiful pattern and colors. We bought them many years ago but they now sit on top of her dresser. I explain to her every day that our family is like those three little frogs, each one is very much the same, but each one is different and beautiful in it's own way. This explaination is usually followed by a big huggy squeeze and a kiss.

Bless her heart, the baby has the most warped family tree. Mommy, who lives with Grandma. Daddy, who lives with Grandmommy & her partner Nana. Then her primary home is with Dada and me, aka Mama. She has an maternal Uncle too, but he is young and pretty baby phobic. lol Then she has 7 or maybe 8 paternal uncles and aunts that are the children that Grandmommy & Nana had before they became a couple. I can hardly wait to explain all of this to her teachers when she has to draw her family for a class assignment. lol
Actually, from a former HS teacher, if I heard this, I'd think to myself "Whew. I don't have to worry about THAT one not doing his homework, or being neglected, or not having someone taking care of him/her, or being abused, or not showing up for parent/teacher conferences, or not having a good contact if there's a problem. That's a LOT of grown-ups watching out for that kid." I'm afraid my prejudices would be that the kid would do well, because kids who have safe home environments filled with a lot of loving adults generally are the high fliers with no behavioral problems.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: