Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

The MAGIC, the MEMORIES, the storms, and HEY! Where's Perry? Aug 2011 TR (upd: Oct21)

We're BACK. The long awaited and planned trip is all over. But now I get to relive it by writing my first Trip Report! With loads of pictures!!! It's all I've got now, since another trip won't be planned till at least 2013.

We raced Irene to get out, changed tickets, went a day early, battled rain and thunderstorms, lightening, leaking bathrooms, closing pool, ride malfunctions, a trip to Lost & Found...but we found Perry, so it's all okay.

So here we go...

The PTR has more info, but here's a recap.

WHEN and WHERE

August 25 (26 was original departure date) - September 1, 2011
Disney's Contemporary Resort

WHO:

A Photopass photo from last year, since I haven't ordered this year's CD yet.

Me: Barbara The Disney addicted Mom. I’m 38 and a stay-at-home-mom at the moment, but worked in the travel industry for a tour operator for many years. Now I have a small home business doing digital design, like photo collages and designing digital scrapbooking products. I Disney!

DH: Mike is 40, like WDW!!! DH is a CPA. He loves Disney too, not as much as I do, but he enjoys it. Just isn't thrilled with the cost of it of course. The pictures from last year prompted him to lose 40lbs over the winter!!!

DS 8: Matthew My big guy. He's 8 and starting 3rd grade in a few days. He loves the 3 Magic Mountains, and RnR. He went on Mission Space the bad side with Daddy and loved it! He’s kinda shy, but starting to come out of his shell a little lately and a wonderful artist. He wants to be an Imagineer when he grows up and design rides at Disney.

DS 5: Eric My Little Guy, very shy but very funny once you get to know him. A video of him from last summer's trip is in the Memories show on the castle every night and he thought it was pretty cool getting to see himself up there.

Coming up...
Racing out to beat Irene...and why is the earth shaking???

Last edited by beebeeryan; 10-21-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents

Chapter Links

Day 1 August 25 Thursday
Racing to Beat Hurricane Irene to Florida
Arrival at Contemporary
Awesome Pool Slide

Day 2 August 26 Friday
Uh Oh, I left my waist pack Under the Sea
I cannot even believe who I saw

Day 3 August 27 Saturday
104 days of summer vacation, and we're gonna do it ALL, or are we?
Little Man is a Star (AKA a very quick blur across the castle)!

Day 4 August 28 Sunday
Magic Morning
Stormy Weather

Day 5 August 29 Monday
Hahkuna Matata
Hopping Around the World, barely

Day 6 August 30 Tuesday
Drip Drip Drip
It's Raining, It's Leaking...
Do the Hokey Pokey and turn yourself around

Day 7 August 31 Wednesday - The LAST day
Where Are We Going Today?
All Good Things...

Random Updates:
The Real McCoy (quick story of useless knowledge learned on the trip)
Photopass Pictures from Days Gone By...
All about Poutine and May West
Final Thoughts

Last edited by beebeeryan; 10-21-2011 at 10:26 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
BerrysGirl
Waiting for the Lights

I'm here too! So glad you had a great trip and I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT PERRY!!!

(87) Offsite (91) Disney Inn (95) Port Orleans (99) Dixie Landings (02) Contemporary (05) Wilderness Lodge (08) Boardwalk (09) All Star Movies (10) Dolphin (11) Bay Lake Towers (11) Caribbean Beach (11) Coronado Springs (11) Boardwalk Villas
Old 09-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
MiaBella05
DIS Veteran

joining in
Caribbean Beach - Oct. '08
Riverside - May '09

Old 09-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

Racing to Beat Hurricane Irene

So the TR really starts a few days before the trip. By the Sunday before the trip, Hurricane Irene was well formed and churning along heading straight for Florida. We were glued to the Weather Channel and various online sites trying to determine if we needed to change our plans. With the flight situation over the weekend, we worried that if we couldn't fly Friday morning as planned, we would probably not get out till Sunday or Monday. Irene was scheduled to, according to certain forecast tracks to be arriving into Orlando Friday early am, right when we were flying in. Monday night we finally made the decision to spend the money and change the flights to Thursday morning, making sure we'd get there and not be flying into or through or even around a Hurricane.

Tuesday afternoon, as I was sitting on the couch working on itineraries and such, I felt a strange sensation and wondered why I felt so dizzy. I wasn't dizzy, I realized when I heard and saw a picture hanging on the wall shaking. We were having an earthquake. Well, the earthquake was in Virginia and we're in Upstate NY, but we felt it pretty good. The house shook for 30 seconds or so. Earthquakes are not common up here and it was stronger than any tiny ones we have felt once or twice in the past. Very strange feeling.

So, now it's a race to pack since I've got a day less to get ready all of a sudden. We're leaving on the 7:30am flight Thursday morning. Re-did my online check-in, printed my boarding passes Wednesday morning and got B boarding on Southwest. DH had to scramble to get some work done with a day less to do it. But finally, after counting down from 181 days...the day has arrived! By Wednesday night it looked like Irene was going to stay mostly offshore so Orlando probably wouldn't be impacted very much, but we were just happy to not be worrying about it anymore and still getting there before things got dicey.

We're at the airport by 5:30am. Got the kids up at 4:45 and dressed, quick breakfast and out the door. The airport is only a 10 minute drive. Got a good spot in the closest long term lot. Checked in and there was no line at security which was strange, there are a lot of early am flights and it's usually the busiest time at the airport. Turns out we could have slept in a little longer. We were through security and at the gate by 6am and our flight was at 7:30. Blah.

We watched the sun come up and planes taking off till it was time to board.

Our bags heading to the plane!

Our flight actually got out a few minutes early as thunderstorms were expected and we landed a little early in Orlando too. We headed to Baggage Claim and discovered our Happy Limo driver was not waiting at the bottom of the escalator like last year. I called them, they said the driver was changed last minute and that the driver had just called them asking for our cell # and he was at the airport. Turns out he was waiting somewhere else for whatever reason and hadn't made his sign yet. Took about 10 minutes, but we finally found each other. Nice guy, his name was Wally and he gave the kids Walle Jibbitz for their crocs. First pixie dusting of the trip. We learned a lot about the history of the MCO airport from him too. And now I know why the initials are MCO instead of ORL which never made sense to me.

Next up...
Arriving at the Contemporary!!!

Last edited by beebeeryan; 09-04-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Tiggeye
Been there, done that, going back

Waiting to hear more. Your kids look so excited waiting at the airport.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
carlandellie
DIS Veteran

I'm in
Old 09-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

Subbing. I live in Georgia. I didn't feel the earthquake at my house but people did about 40 miles away from us. It was so crazy to hear about. I can't wait to read about your trip.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
RyansMommy1
Mouseketeer

yay!!!!

I have been searching for a trip report with a DS5!!!!! soo excited I found yours!! The reason being...my son will be five on his first trip in october 2012. I haven't been to WDW since I was 8...so I'm trying to find advice and good places for kids meals and such.

I am extremely excited and will be anxiously awaiting each new post.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

I'm in.. our trips overlapped a little.. can't wait to read more!

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13 ASSp 2015

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR Incomplete
Old 09-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
Jazzabelle508
Live, Laugh, Love and Disney <3 :)

I'm in How cool that your youngest son's in the show up on the castle!!!! I would have been super excited about that even now! I'm also glad that you guys managed to avoid Irene, 2 bad you didn't manage to avoid the earthquake. That was one big earthquake (well, big for around here). I live in chicago and a lot of people felt it, I actually think i may have felt it a little bit. It wasn't super noticable here though. In fact, nothing was really shaken up.
Pottermore: GoldThorn119 Twitter Page: Jazzyjen508

Old 09-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Joining in! I missed the end of your PTR and trip updates, as I was in WDW myself and then had to come home and get back to real life before I had time for the DIS lol But good start to your report! That is crazy how far that earthquake went! We had Tornado warnings in my home area then, which is extremely rare - the weather was all messed up all over the place! I can't wait to read about the rest of your trip!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Old 09-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
I'm glad you made it safe & sound! I worked for a shipping company briefly after college & got quite an education in airport codes! It's like learning a foreign language - luckily I had a cheat sheet!
Working in travel I knew most airport codes, I just never understood MCO and never bothered to look it up. It's kinda nice to know now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggeye View Post
Waiting to hear more. Your kids look so excited waiting at the airport.

They were excited, even at 5am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlandellie View Post
I'm in

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
Subbing. I live in Georgia. I didn't feel the earthquake at my house but people did about 40 miles away from us. It was so crazy to hear about. I can't wait to read about your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyansMommy1 View Post
I have been searching for a trip report with a DS5!!!!! soo excited I found yours!! The reason being...my son will be five on his first trip in october 2012. I haven't been to WDW since I was 8...so I'm trying to find advice and good places for kids meals and such.

I am extremely excited and will be anxiously awaiting each new post.

Hopefully I can be of some help. Pretty much any restaurant or quick service place at Disney is kid friendly. You can always find either chicken nuggets or pizza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justakrazymom View Post
I'm in.. our trips overlapped a little.. can't wait to read more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzabelle508 View Post
I'm in How cool that your youngest son's in the show up on the castle!!!! I would have been super excited about that even now! I'm also glad that you guys managed to avoid Irene, 2 bad you didn't manage to avoid the earthquake. That was one big earthquake (well, big for around here). I live in chicago and a lot of people felt it, I actually think i may have felt it a little bit. It wasn't super noticable here though. In fact, nothing was really shaken up.

It's very strange for the Northeast to get an earthquake and/or hurricane, but both in the same week is just crazy!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: