Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #196
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Great start! I've only sailed once, and it did take quite a while to board, so it sounds like your method (even though it made you twitchy at times ) worked out really well.

Great boarding pictures! Is Evan's coolness rubbing off onto Jeff?
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #199
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

What a cute picture of your family!

Okay, I would totally be stressing out! I am always running behind and late to everything. However, it looks really nice to be boarding by yourselves with no wait and lots of picture opportunities!

Can't wait to read more.

jeremysdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #200
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

You are impressively organized to be starting the TR so quickly upon return! That's not a complaint, mind you!!

I think part of what holds me back on a cruise is having to learn all the new processes and requirements. It all seems a little overwhelming but I am sure it is so worth it. I wonder if that is how "newbies" feel about a regular trip to WDW?

Love the family picture!!

Can't wait to hear more!

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #201
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
I love it! Barely back from your cruise & the TR has already begun!!

Well the first part was easy to get up so I figured why not, had time to kill during trombone lessons. Of course I'm still behind an update on the girls trip so need to get on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
[Your time crunch was stressing me out a bit but it sounds like it worked out perfectly!
When you do online registration they have slots going all the way until 3 or 3:30 I think. Originaly I'd picked 1:30-2 or maybe even 2:30 but then moved it up. While in some ways, had I stuck with my gut instinct on our arrival time I'd likely have been less twitchy, the reality is that with a later official time...we'd have been even later knowing us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdisneymom View Post
What a cute picture of your family!

Okay, I would totally be stressing out! I am always running behind and late to everything. However, it looks really nice to be boarding by yourselves with no wait and lots of picture opportunities!

Can't wait to read more.
We are always late. It generally works out just fine but it was slightly nerve racking. It was lovely to have no lines! About the only downside, besides the stress was that I have a feeling our entry announcment was a bit "less" than those in the major rush of things and we had less time to get ourselves oriented before the drill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
You are impressively organized to be starting the TR so quickly upon return! That's not a complaint, mind you!!
Not really, just killed time during Evan's trombone lesson. But I wanted to get started before the weekend if I could. I still need to do an update on our girls trip so I'm behind there.

Quote:
I think part of what holds me back on a cruise is having to learn all the new processes and requirements. It all seems a little overwhelming but I am sure it is so worth it. I wonder if that is how "newbies" feel about a regular trip to WDW?
I think that is a great comparison. I'm helping my best friend plan a WDW trip and she is a newbie. She is SO overwhelmed! And, I suppose in all fairness, the stuff they don't explain well on the cruise in terms of how boarding works, dining, etc, really isn't any different than the missing info for a WDW trip (tranportation, DME, dining plan etc). That's where this board is invaluable! For the most part, thanks to the board, we weren't overwhelmed all that much. It was certainly different, and an adjustment but we adjusted relatively quickly I think.

You'd be fine! It would be a great girls trip.

Quote:
Love the family picture!!

Can't wait to hear more!
Thanks!
Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #202
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

your ninja beer skills has my interest. what are the rules on bringing booze on board? why did yo uhave to put it in your carry on luggage?

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #203
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Cynthia, wonderful update!!

Having met your mother I can very well imagine that she convinced those UK people that it would be a great pleasure to have your family at their table! And I am sure it was a pleasure for them, she is a lovely lady!!

It sounds like you had the perfect boarding experience. I always read from people boarding in Florida that the terminal is extremely crowded etc... But I guess that's why getting there a little bit later makes sense. I need to try to remember that for my first cruise (whenever that may be...).
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #204
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
your ninja beer skills has my interest. what are the rules on bringing booze on board? why did yo uhave to put it in your carry on luggage?
Ninja beer skills.

So the rules about bringing stuff on board are..bring whatever you want and however much you want. BUT it has to be in your carry on luggage. You can't check it thru.

Rules for crossing the border are 2 bottles of wine OR 1.25L of alcohol OR some equivalent volume in beer. No mix and match approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Cynthia, wonderful update!!

Having met your mother I can very well imagine that she convinced those UK people that it would be a great pleasure to have your family at their table! And I am sure it was a pleasure for them, she is a lovely lady!!
They were SO sweet and were having quite the lovely vacation, a 3 week extravaganza by train across Canada, down into NY and sailing back on the Queen Mary! But oh, the woman's face when she smelled the root beer was priceless! They had no idea what sassafras was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
It sounds like you had the perfect boarding experience. I always read from people boarding in Florida that the terminal is extremely crowded etc... But I guess that's why getting there a little bit later makes sense. I need to try to remember that for my first cruise (whenever that may be...).
I've always read that too and had read similar stories for AK early arrivals. Given that folks are still getting off the ship at 9:30 or later I can see how crazy it would be at that 10:30-12 time frame. Not sure if the same strategy would work as well for other ports but I'll definitely keep in it mind for the future.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #205
Happydog
DIS Veteran

You are home, you have had a great time, and I am so excited to hear all about it!! Great arrival photo! Such a cute one!

Looking forward to hearing what you thought about the cruise! I am so behind on my TR as well, I wanted to finish before our October trip! I got my work cut out for me!!! LOL! The start of the school year is so busy... how much more time to your kids have? Labor day is next week so is that when school starts?

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #206
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
You are home, you have had a great time, and I am so excited to hear all about it!! Great arrival photo! Such a cute one!

Looking forward to hearing what you thought about the cruise! I am so behind on my TR as well, I wanted to finish before our October trip! I got my work cut out for me!!! LOL! The start of the school year is so busy... how much more time to your kids have? Labor day is next week so is that when school starts?
I hear you! I meant to finish the grand gathering report before the cruise and ALMOST pulled it off.

We start SO late this year. Usually it's either this week or the day after labor day. This year, due to budget cuts, they cut in-service days which meant the whole schedule got shorter and they pushed the start date way back (but not the end date or any of the breaks). We don't start until the 12th! Craziness! Evan actually missed orientation and we didn't even realize it as they mailed the packet out while we were gone. So I have to go by tomorrow to get his schedule and then again next week to pay fees. Bleh. You have so many trips coming up, exciting!!!
Old 09-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #207
MEK
DIS Veteran

Officially welcoming you back! Will stop back later to read up. DIS is sucking up my morning and I really want to go for a run now. Later Girl!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #208
MEK
DIS Veteran

Well - I have to say that your late arrival really worked to your advantage. Your first family picture is perfect and how awesome to get to take pictures of the boat still docked with no one around. Your view looks fabulous! You are off to a wonderful start. All three boys look like they couldn't be happier!

to the beer run! You beer snob you!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #209
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Love the boarding pix !!! Sounds like you are off to a good start!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #210
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Officially welcoming you back! Will stop back later to read up. DIS is sucking up my morning and I really want to go for a run now. Later Girl!
I hope you had a great run! I had a run too. A Costco run that is. I bet yours was WAY more fun than mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Well - I have to say that your late arrival really worked to your advantage. Your first family picture is perfect and how awesome to get to take pictures of the boat still docked with no one around. Your view looks fabulous! You are off to a wonderful start. All three boys look like they couldn't be happier!

to the beer run! You beer snob you!
Well, after seeing what was on board (which is what I thought would be) our beer run was a very good thing! I 'd our verandah and have to admit, I don't think we could do another one without having it. We were on it quite a bit. It was a bit surreal boarding and not really seeing anyone else though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Love the boarding pix !!! Sounds like you are off to a good start!!!
Thanks Rosie!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: